The Daily for Tuesday Mar 30, 2021

richwmn

58 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

A little background on interracial marriage.  In 1963 it was a felony in 19 states.  I spoke to a Navy legal officer in Taipei and he explained the law to me.  Said that if we married the Navy would ensure that we were not transferred to one of those states, like Virginia.  We were transferred to California.  In 1967 the U.S. Supreme Court struck down those laws in the case of Loving vs Virginia.  We had to get permission from the Navy to marry and go thru some interviews.  For example the Navy Chaplain told us "These marriages seldom last very long, but if you insist on marrying you should get married in the Navy Chapel".  I told him "No thank you, sir". and we were married by an Episcopal missionary whose church I attended.

Ray

Thanks for sharing. We took the plunge in 1982 after meeting in 1977 in DC. Thanks to Loving vs Virginia.

also happy to co-celebrate a birthday today with @cruzin single 🎂

3E733FE0-58EE-4B62-83DC-9E002696D10D.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, raven82 said:

Had my 2nd Moderna 8 days ago and other than being just a little tired (and that might not have been from the Vaccine, traveled to see Granddaughters the week before the shot) it was like I didn't even take a Vaccine. Very Easy. Wife had her Pfizer 2 nine days ago and same thing. Both very easy (we are 65) Ready to Cruise in August.

Hi & welcome!

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

A little background on interracial marriage.  In 1963 it was a felony in 19 states.  I spoke to a Navy legal officer in Taipei and he explained the law to me.  Said that if we married the Navy would ensure that we were not transferred to one of those states, like Virginia.  We were transferred to California.  In 1967 the U.S. Supreme Court struck down those laws in the case of Loving vs Virginia.  We had to get permission from the Navy to marry and go thru some interviews.  For example the Navy Chaplain told us "These marriages seldom last very long, but if you insist on marrying you should get married in the Navy Chapel".  I told him "No thank you, sir". and we were married by an Episcopal missionary whose church I attended.

Ray

Congratulations to the two of you and thank you Ray very much for writing about your background story which at a time like we are living in now is very important , thank you and wishing you many more years together !

We kind of went through something similar when I fell in love with a young lady from a different continent and  I wanted to start a new life there when we hit a few roadblocks which we have happily overcome and  we now just celebrated our 52nd anniversary and I too was told it would never last .

Tony 😀

• Like 25

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Today is our 58th Wedding Anniversary. 

Welcome to the "Married 58 Years" club. DH and I joined it a couple months ago. My college dorm mates said ours too wouldn't last. Guess both couples proved them wrong.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 13

12 minutes ago, Suslor said:

Thanks for sharing. We took the plunge in 1982 after meeting in 1977 in DC. Thanks to Loving vs Virginia.

Happy Birthday! Hope it is filled with laughter, love & great health!

77C370AD-DE33-4B1B-AAD0-F38717BED5C3.jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Himself said:

Eventually we find out none of us are ultimately in control. 

I love that Scripture exhorts us to have self-control, and at the same time lists self-control as part of the Holy Spirit fruit. God wants to gift us with self-control.

• Like 7

Kind of a cool morning here in the Pacific Northwest.  This time of the year it is either warm and wet or cool and dry.  Should be a good afternoon.  Today is our 58th Wedding Anniversary.  This is us in 1963.P1010264.thumb.JPG.c5f4ee8bcfc70673cf95382ea6b703ec.JPG

Happy Anniversary to you both! And thank you for sharing how you proved the naysayers wrong. 

• Like 8

Ray

You both look like you are in the human race; am I missing something?

Seriously, even though laws have changed, unfortunately not everyone has changed their attitudes. I have two siblings that are mixed race and they do face obstacles I have never even had to consider.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I enjoyed my walk on the beach this morning in Westport Light State Park.

It was low tide so the beach was a quarter mile wide between the water and the dunes. I only saw about a dozen people and a few dogs in the five mile stretch I walked and didn't even get close enough to any of them to say hi.

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, Suslor said:

A very happy birthday to you 🙂 

Lovely picture and a beautiful couple 😄 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Kind of a cool morning here in the Pacific Northwest.  This time of the year it is either warm and wet or cool and dry.  Should be a good afternoon.  Today is our 58th Wedding Anniversary.  This is us in 1963.P1010264.thumb.JPG.c5f4ee8bcfc70673cf95382ea6b703ec.JPG

A very happy anniversary to you both 🙂 🥂 

• Like 6

Ray

A felony in 1963?  OMG.  

Great story and good for you both 👍 

You are not the only person to have heard something similar to “there will be a lot of challenges and these marriages don’t always last “.  Ours was put a little more delicately than yours.

I am very grateful that Canada has never had laws against interracial marriage.  That isn’t to say that there can’t be challenges nor some old fashioned views from certain people 😔 but those people are not part of our regular lives 😄 

Happy anniversary to you both again 😄 

• Like 14

Greetings dailyites. Long time no post on this thread. Thank you Rich and company for all the great suggestions. Today's wine is right up dh's alley. Thai anything sounds yummy today! We will.probably have some bbq grilled chicken tonight. 

Happy Birthday @cruzn single

I am in Control Day? Nah. This past year has proven that wrong lol. A tornado last Feb and 85mph straight line winds a few days ago, quarter sized hail, massive power outages, trees down everywhere, and a backyard that looks like a demolition derby took place... we just felt lucky to have a roof on our house. Lots so early plants may be destroyed for  the season too. I hope this hasn't wrecked my peonies for the year. 

Yes celebrate our doctors!! We love ours. When he retires we will be completely lost. He has been the doctor to 4 generations of my family now. 

Dd had her speech pathologist eval yesterday and passed with flying colors. BUT she had to learn to wear a mask to the hospital. No easy thing for a 3 yo. Not the easiest folks to reason with. But one of dh's very clever clients taught us how. Dd has a favorite stuffed animal, a big kitty, that she takes everywhere. I asked her if she wanted big kitty to go to the hospital with her. Oh yes! Well then he must wear a mask to be safe. I fashioned a mask for him. She was ecstatic and naturally, she needed one too. Tada!! No struggle, no fuss. So if you have grandbabies or babies that might benefit from this, give it a whirl. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm trying to be in control! Kudos to doctors. I don't think I'll be taking a walk; I was up until 5AM and finally slept until 9.

I like the meal (and Roy's) and wine suggestions.

I've cruised into Melbourne and Sydney, but not Townsville.

It's 69 and sunny out; normally I'd be happy but the sun bothers my eyes, even with sunglasses.

@cruzn single @Suslor Happy Birthday! 🎈

@StLouisCruisers Hoping DMIL remains ok.

@USN59-79 Congrats to you two on your anniversary!

Congrats to all getting vaccine shots!

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask (numbers are going up!).

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

Oh, @fatcat04I expanded your signature to see where you are off to in 6 months.  Then I read the Montgomery quote which took my breath away and gave me tingles.  Thank you!

Oh yes. LM Montgomery is my favorite author. I have read everything she published. We went to PEI and met some of her family members. She has been an inspiration to me since I was a teen. Being of PEI I knew she would have a soul connection with the sea as it seems many in the Maritimes do. Her love of PEI is completely justified. She and her sister Maritime provinces are truly unique and  beautiful. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Suslor said:

Happy birthday.

Roy

• Like 6

We've been out checking out a car in Macon so away for several hours.  To update - congrats to all on the anniversaries and birthdays as well as the jabs!  There were some great stories included as well.

We have an update on my MIL too.  She is still eating well, but they are feeding her.  She is not able to see well right at the moment so I hope that comes back.  Her arms are doing better.  But she is squirmy, and quite vocal so they've given her something to relax her a little.  She was squirming herself right out of her bed, so it is lowered nearest level to the floor and there are foam pads on the floor to protect her if a nurse isn't with her at that moment.  Hoping for better news tomorrow.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

It is a sunny afternoon where we on the Oregon coast!!  Love seeing that sun.  

What a great collections of days.  I also would like to be in control but after this year, it isn't a priority for me any more.  Just want to stay well and safe!

How exciting to read about birthdays and anniversary celebrations today.  Happy, happy, and congratulations to you all.

Getting my haircut soon then headed to our other home near Vancouver, WA, to help  out with the grandkids transportation to school and home.  My DH has been doing it the past 2 days.  He is ready for help tomorrow!  

Thanks for such a positive place to come and read about everyone.  Prayers to all on the care list.  

Stay well and safe and wear those masks.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Greetings dailyites. Long time no post on this thread. Thank you Rich and company for all the great suggestions. Today's wine is right up dh's alley. Thai anything sounds yummy today! We will.probably have some bbq grilled chicken tonight. 

Happy Birthday @cruzn single

I am in Control Day? Nah. This past year has proven that wrong lol. A tornado last Feb and 85mph straight line winds a few days ago, quarter sized hail, massive power outages, trees down everywhere, and a backyard that looks like a demolition derby took place... we just felt lucky to have a roof on our house. Lots so early plants may be destroyed for  the season too. I hope this hasn't wrecked my peonies for the year. 

Yes celebrate our doctors!! We love ours. When he retires we will be completely lost. He has been the doctor to 4 generations of my family now. 

Dd had her speech pathologist eval yesterday and passed with flying colors. BUT she had to learn to wear a mask to the hospital. No easy thing for a 3 yo. Not the easiest folks to reason with. But one of dh's very clever clients taught us how. Dd has a favorite stuffed animal, a big kitty, that she takes everywhere. I asked her if she wanted big kitty to go to the hospital with her. Oh yes! Well then he must wear a mask to be safe. I fashioned a mask for him. She was ecstatic and naturally, she needed one too. Tada!! No struggle, no fuss. So if you have grandbabies or babies that might benefit from this, give it a whirl. 

Are you anywhere near the flooding?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We've been out checking out a car in Macon so away for several hours.  To update - congrats to all on the anniversaries and birthdays as well as the jabs!  There were some great stories included as well.

We have an update on my MIL too.  She is still eating well, but they are feeding her.  She is not able to see well right at the moment so I hope that comes back.  Her arms are doing better.  But she is squirmy, and quite vocal so they've given her something to relax her a little.  She was squirming herself right out of her bed, so it is lowered nearest level to the floor and there are foam pads on the floor to protect her if a nurse isn't with her at that moment.  Hoping for better news tomorrow.

Still praying, Sandi.

• Like 4

Hi everyone. Neighbor helped get rid of lots of stuff left by the last owners. Two dump trips and a load he could use. It feels wonderful to have the stuff gone and to have such a helpful neighbor. My back is reminding me that I’m not as young any more. 
Thanks Rich. 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Are you anywhere near the flooding?

Yes but we were in no peril. It was only from the overwhelmed storm drain system. We had water coming in our front door and 3 inches in our basement. It thankfully receded overnight and the damage is minimal but the rain just came so fast no amount of proper drainage could handle it. I was outside bucketing water and shovelling debris Thursday and Friday and we did yard cleanup Sunday and yesterday. But we count our blessings. Some folks suffered huge losses again for the 2nd time in 13 mos and 6 people died here in regional flooding. I'm ready for Mother Nature to take a vaca!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3