Any new info on cruising to Alaska?

P.A.

We're scheduled to cruise in Aug 2021 to Alaska inside passage. Our final payment isn't due til mid May. Curious if they've decided what is going on since no stops in Canada? If still don't know by final payment day I'm not sure I want to pay final payment and then they cancel and they have to hold my money.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nini said:

Canada currently has the policy that their ports are closed until February 2021. Also, I believe that Princess says that final payments are now 60 days out, not 90.

Feb 2021 has come and gone.

1 hour ago, nini said:

Canada currently has the policy that their ports are closed until February 2021. Also, I believe that Princess says that final payments are now 60 days out, not 90.

February 2022.

Zero chance of any Alaskan cruises.

Besides, it seems Canada is beginning to lag behind in getting people vaccinated. Sooooooooo... maybe a good idea to wait.

For OP's cruise to taker place, two things need to happen:

a) Princess does what is necessary to get CDC to give permission to sail again.

b) Congress must grant an exception this year to the PVSA that requires a stop in a nearby foreign port for this cruise itinmerary.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

For OP's cruise to taker place, two things need to happen:

a) Princess does what is necessary to get CDC to give permission to sail again.

b) Congress must grant an exception this year to the PVSA that requires a stop in a nearby foreign port for this cruise itinmerary.

a) might happen, but I really could not give odds on whether it will or not.

b) this one is not happening. There are a lot more priorities than this. The bills proposed by Alaska's Senators and Representative have gone nowhere.

13 hours ago, P.A. said:

We're scheduled to cruise in Aug 2021 to Alaska inside passage. Our final payment isn't due til mid May. Curious if they've decided what is going on since no stops in Canada? If still don't know by final payment day I'm not sure I want to pay final payment and then they cancel and they have to hold my money.

Believe it is now mid June, 60 day prior to sailing.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cancellation-final-payment-policy/

I would not be making final payment on this cruise!  The odds of this cruise happening are zero to none.  There are some nice Alaska cruises for 2022 and I’d be comfortable booking one of those.

We booked a wonderful Alaska itinerary for September 2022. However, if you are going to rebook, so it very soon! We were not able to come even close to getting one of our usual cabin choices!!!

It may not be as much of an issue of cruise passengers  stopping in Canada and spreading the infection as much as the cruise passengers being at risk if they stop in Canada which may be experiencing a “Fourth Wave.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-variant-from-brazil-has-taken-hold-in-canada-11617729538?st=h9sw5fuizctms0z&reflink=article_copyURL_share

I wish we could get back to cruising so everyone could return to arguing over formal night and smoking areas.  I don’t think any country has much to brag about- DIFFERENT PROBLEMS EVERYWHERE.

• Like 1

Hmm well gosh! I'm here in Oklahoma and we are..I guess way above a lot of states. We are already giving vaccines to ANYONE over the age of 16.

I guess I need to call my cruise line and see if they will give me the same offer, which was very generous, for a 2022 cruise.🤔

12 minutes ago, P.A. said:

Hmm well gosh! I'm here in Oklahoma and we are..I guess way above a lot of states. We are already giving vaccines to ANYONE over the age of 16.

I guess I need to call my cruise line and see if they will give me the same offer, which was very generous, for a 2022 cruise.🤔

Please come back and let me know what the cruise line says.  I am also booked on an August 2021 cruise but didn't think there would be any offers until the cruise line cancelled the reservation.

18 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

It may not be as much of an issue of cruise passengers  stopping in Canada and spreading the infection as much as the cruise passengers being at risk if they stop in Canada which may be experiencing a “Fourth Wave.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-variant-from-brazil-has-taken-hold-in-canada-11617729538?st=h9sw5fuizctms0z&reflink=article_copyURL_share

That is exactly the issue as Canada has banned cruise ships of this size from Canadian waters into next year. Can't bmale them for doing so.

A secondary issue is even if cruises from the USA can restart, the PVSA forbids cruising to Alaska from the west coast without a stop in Canada.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Please come back and let me know what the cruise line says.  I am also booked on an August 2021 cruise but didn't think there would be any offers until the cruise line cancelled the reservation.

I have an email into Princess cruise planner agent. I'll see what she says.

• Thanks 1

Really wish they would decide on Alaska out of Seattle in August. I have plane tickets that I'm not too sure how much longer the airlines will allow full refunds. If Princess knows they need to cancel all of Alaska this year, they need to make the announcement.

2 hours ago, Andersoncd said:

Really wish they would decide on Alaska out of Seattle in August. I have plane tickets that I'm not too sure how much longer the airlines will allow full refunds. If Princess knows they need to cancel all of Alaska this year, they need to make the announcement.

Those in your situation are the ones who need Princess (and other cruise lines) to make the announcement. The cruise lines, OTOH, seem to want to hold onto money or maybe they have a wish and a prayer that somehow either Canada changes its policy or the USA temporarily suspends the PVSA. But the chance of either of these happening are extremely remote.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:49 PM, P.A. said:

Same in SC...anyone over the age of 16 is eligible.  We have given about 2.3 million vaccinations so far...doing very well %% wise.

On 4/7/2021 at 12:55 PM, Potstech said:

And they do not have a supply of vaccine enough even to give all people one shot let alone two. They have failed miserably on getting the vaccine for their citizens.

And they closed their borders to the US because they assumed we'd be the issue.  They obviously needed to look inward and not outward.