NCL Counters CDC new phase with it's own plan. Really bold move.

oteixeira

5 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

I commend FdR

Don't see this around here too much.

It was a good move to make, SOMEONE had to kick the CDC in the backside to get some movement.  One of the recent requirements released was that the terminal and gangway had to stand empty for 12 hours after disembarkation before the embarking passengers could file in and start boarding the ship.  How are a cruise terminal and gangway different from the same structures in an airport that they need to be treated differently?  By the way, this was noted in a video posted by a prominent cruise-related YouTube channel..

• Like 14

They are saying face masks will be required.    This is from NCL's website:

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Face Coverings

Face coverings are currently required for guests while indoors except for in their own accommodations and while eating and drinking in restaurants, bars and lounges or outdoors when physical distancing is not possible.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sand and Seas said:

Face Coverings

Face coverings are currently required for guests while indoors except for in their own accommodations and while eating and drinking in restaurants, bars and lounges or outdoors when physical distancing is not possible.

That stinks!!  And they are still going to test you upon boarding even with 100% vaccinated

The way NCL has worded this tells me they may be setting for legal action. The CDC has released a statement publicly that vaccinated can resume travel. If the CDC still blocks cruising perhaps they might be thinking of suing for damages.

• Like 10

I am going to guess that this is a classic negotiation ploy.  Go for the moon and see what you get in return.  I can't see the CDC acquiescing to no test cruises, no specifics on evacuations if necessary and perhaps most importantly, ramping up capacity from 60% in 20% increments in only 60 days.

• Like 5

Woo-hoo!  Great news!  NCL is making the right move and let's hope the CDC responds in the affirmative; even if they require test cruises, we can at least start sailing again.  Booked on the POA in October, fingers crossed & saying a prayer. 🙂

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Face Coverings

We have been to Las Vegas for a couple of trips now under this type of Face Mask requirement.  I would happily wear masks indoors on a cruise if we can get cruising again.    

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Good for NCL!

But the most SAFEest thing that the President can direct is “no”. 

For now, NCL has removed all cruises worldwide from sale through the end of August. 

We have just booked a July 3 cruise in Scandinavia so they are selling European itineraries. That is not to say that it won't be canceled but they are booking them at this moment.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iamaqt2 said:

This was inevitable.  There is no way the CDC was going to open up cruising to the unvaccinated.  And I'm sure NCL wouldn't want to risk it either.  A very large majority of cruisers also don't want to cruise with the unvaccinated.  I like this move forward from NCL.

It's pretty simple, Get yourself vaccinated or don't cruise. If you can't or choose not to I guess you better look for another type of vacation. This will be the standard for years to come.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

It's pretty simple, Get yourself vaccinated or don't cruise. If you can't or choose not to I guess you better look for another type of vacation. This will be the standard for years to come.

In a way, this has always been the case—vaccines are required for certain ports and certain itineraries. The COVID vaccine will be required for all itineraries.

I do wonder about kids, though. Little kids usually don't have a bad reaction to COVID, but they can still spread it, particularly teenagers.

Will NCL be adults-only until pediatric vaccines are approved?

As an aside, we have a 3-year old, and will be waiting to cruise until there's an approved vaccine for her—probably not until next year. We are hoping that sometime next year, the pandemic will be under sufficient worldwide control so that masks will no longer be necessary, recognizing that some may choose to wear them (particularly during cold and flu season—I haven't gotten a cold since the pandemic began).

Edited by dcipjr
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

As an aside, we have a 3-year old, and will be waiting to cruise until there's an approved vaccine for her—probably not until next year. We are hoping that sometime next year, the pandemic will be under sufficient worldwide control so that masks will no longer be necessary, recognizing that some may choose to wear them (particularly during cold and flu season—I haven't gotten a cold since the pandemic began).

I read at least one article which stipulates “no kids” through at least October 2021.

8 minutes ago, dcipjr said:

In a way, this has always been the case—vaccines are required for certain ports and certain itineraries. The COVID vaccine will be required for all itineraries.

I do wonder about kids, though. Little kids usually don't have a bad reaction to COVID, but they can still spread it, particularly teenagers.

The new B117 is effecting younger kids, will know how that plays out in a few months. 

13 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

The new B117 is effecting younger kids, will know how that plays out in a few months. 

I'm just going to wait it out, and live vicariously through the reviews of CruiseCritic members without kids who are able to go. I'm glad the cruises are starting up, and I think the vaccination requirement is a sensible one.

I'd be willing to wager that by the end of 2022, cruises will look much like they did in 2019. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Good for NCL!

... For now, NCL has removed all cruises worldwide from sale through the end of August. 

Actually booking windows vary by ship. NCL Pride of America currently shows booking dates from July, 2021.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The way NCL has worded this tells me they may be setting for legal action. The CDC has released a statement publicly that vaccinated can resume travel. If the CDC still blocks cruising perhaps they might be thinking of suing for damages.

They also could be looking for an excuse to implement chapter 11...

• Haha 1

POA is the one ship that only sails around Hawaii. An all passenger and crew vaccinated ship sounds like a sensible solution. We're booked in September, are fully vaccinated and happy to wear masks.

• Like 6

An excellent letter from Del Rio, very thorough and subtly demanding. I especially enjoyed the following sentence.     

"On or about July 4, 2021, NCLH vessels will begin cruise operations at an initial reduced capacity of 60%, gradually ramping up our fleet departing from U.S. ports and increasing capacity by 20% every 30 days."

It's almost as if he is saying; Hey CDC, with all due respect, we're going to resume sailing from US ports on July 4th, 2021. Coincidentally, that just happens to be Independence Day. Join us if you will, we would love to have you....but only if you're fully vaccinated.

My feeling is that the CDC will not be enthralled with this. I believe that the CDC will keep a close watch on cruises sailing from Caribbean ports beginning in June from RCCL and Celebrity. Based on those results over the summer, further direction will follow. The Fall, perhaps.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

Face Coverings

idiotic.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

idiotic.

Not really.  J&J vaccine has only 67% efficacy at preventing Covid.  While the other vaccines are better, the potential for 33% of passengers becoming infected would be a no go for any cruise ship.  The true benefit of the vaccine is the fact that it virtually eliminates the need for hospitalization, but the virus can still be transmitted.  So masking in congregate settings will be the norm for some time to come.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dcipjr said:

I'm just going to wait it out, and live vicariously through the reviews of CruiseCritic members without kids who are able to go. I'm glad the cruises are starting up, and I think the vaccination requirement is a sensible one.

I'd be willing to wager that by the end of 2022, cruises will look much like they did in 2019. 

Our next cruise isn't until January 2023....with that said who know's Lol. We are actually looked to book the POA in October for our 30t wedding anniversary. Going to wait a few more months to see how things play out

22 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Not really.  J&J vaccine has only 67% efficacy at preventing Covid.  While the other vaccines are better, the potential for 33% of passengers becoming infected would be a no go for any cruise ship.  The true benefit of the vaccine is the fact that it virtually eliminates the need for hospitalization, but the virus can still be transmitted.  So masking in congregate settings will be the norm for some time to come.

Actually, a new CDC study shows that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 90% effective at preventing infection and that the vaccine limits virus spread, so a vaccinated person rarely infects others.  This is great news! 

https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-pfizer-and-moderna-vaccines-effective-in-the-real-world-2021-3?fbclid=IwAR3kQ6Ig8XxcIp8GN8oBze2wYfZQwlvOyIrK0rqkyda4RVFhdI9f9L-ZpG0

• Like 4

Just now, NikiPinkston said:

Actually, a new CDC study shows that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 90% effective at preventing infection and that the vaccine limits virus spread, so a vaccinated person rarely infects others.  This is great news! 

https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-pfizer-and-moderna-vaccines-effective-in-the-real-world-2021-3?fbclid=IwAR3kQ6Ig8XxcIp8GN8oBze2wYfZQwlvOyIrK0rqkyda4RVFhdI9f9L-ZpG0

But there's no way to know which vaccines passengers have received, so the assumption would have to be the lowest rate of efficacy, even though statistically it would likely be much higher.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

thats.. not what efficacy means...

"Vaccine efficacy is the percentage reduction in a disease in a group of people who received a vaccination in a clinical trial. It differs from vaccine effectiveness, which measures how well a vaccine works when given to people in the community outside of clinical trials."

• Like 8