The retreat

phe8800

The first time we booked a suite we were on a Baltic cruise.

we came back from a 12 hour trip to Berlin on a train with approximately 600 passengers

we were standing in a huge line to board the ship when an officer came over and told us to follow )her.

the people behind us queried this and was told    "they are in a suite so there is another line"

On the ship in 5 minutes.

did I feel bad? My head did but my feet were grateful.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2021 at 1:21 PM, KWW88 said:

Edge S3 suite on the Magic Carpet path, did not other us at all, but WOW what a ship and yes the Retreat to me, is a game changer on Edge/Apex.  

My gang has booked suites for the first time for our April 22 cruise on Apex.     We have the 4 S3 suites between the MC on deck 8 (1/2 way up....not too high or low).    I'd love your detailed thoughts on these cabins.   Any tips on staying there and any special things to look for in a suite on Edge class.

TIA

18 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

My gang has booked suites for the first time for our April 22 cruise on Apex.     We have the 4 S3 suites between the MC on deck 8 (1/2 way up....not too high or low).    I'd love your detailed thoughts on these cabins.   Any tips on staying there and any special things to look for in a suite on Edge class.

TIA

Well the suite is lovely and I have said the large balcony is a big plus.  We make full use of the Retreat and all it has to offer, Luminae, Retreat Lounge.  Especially their outdoor seating area, plenty of tables and casual seating, covered from the sun and elements if there are any.  We often get a sandwich and snacks and bring a bottle of wine or some beers and just sit there for an hour or two to have our lunch.  It's easy to be spoiled by the Retreat offerings, so make sur you do go explore the ship, it is unique and has so many areas that are different and new, we love them all.  Eden is very nice, several story wall of windows, the view incredible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are booked in a royal suite on the millennium, and I was wondering what everyone tips, or if at all?  I know its says the tips are covered, but didn't know if we should tip the butler and concierge a little extra? Thanks

19 minutes ago, KWW88 said:

Well the suite is lovely and I have said the large balcony is a big plus.  We make full use of the Retreat and all it has to offer, Luminae, Retreat Lounge.  Especially their outdoor seating area, plenty of tables and casual seating, covered from the sun and elements if there are any.  We often get a sandwich and snacks and bring a bottle of wine or some beers and just sit there for an hour or two to have our lunch.  It's easy to be spoiled by the Retreat offerings, so make sur you do go explore the ship, it is unique and has so many areas that are different and new, we love them all.  Eden is very nice, several story wall of windows, the view incredible.

And if you like martinis (I do not) but they have the Martini Bar, very cool place.  Even if you don't drink martins, worth a while to spend time there, the bartenders really put on a very entertaining multi-martini making show, pretty fun.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigger8792 said:

We are booked in a royal suite on the millennium, and I was wondering what everyone tips, or if at all?  I know its says the tips are covered, but didn't know if we should tip the butler and concierge a little extra? Thanks

For a 7 day cruise we tip room steward approx 60 , butler it depends what they do but average is about 60 , we also tip concierge depending on what they do and we tip waiters daily about 10 for dinner , this is just us, we also have a royal suite in July on millennium, also did royal suite on sister ship last year.

. Great perks including all specialty restaurants and liquor setup.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KWW88 said:

And if you like martinis (I do not) but they have the Martini Bar, very cool place.  Even if you don't drink martins, worth a while to spend time there, the bartenders really put on a very entertaining multi-martini making show, pretty fun.  

I'll drink an occasional martini, but I am primarily a bourbon man.      I wonder if the pre cruise concierge can get some of my favorites stocked in the retreat bar ???     We did make a couple stops at the Martini Bar on Summit when we sailed on her.

Edited by zdad59

58 minutes ago, George C said:

For a 7 day cruise we tip room steward approx 60 , butler it depends what they do but average is about 60 , we also tip concierge depending on what they do and we tip waiters daily about 10 for dinner...

I look at it a bit differently...

We are already paying basic tips--whether the old fashioned way...or if it is "included" in the fare...

This covers all basic service...

But I also tip extra...but not on a per diem basis...

Often times, I may tip an assistant waiter, for example, far more than the waiter...

Extra tips, to me, are something I give out based on actual service, above and beyond...

For example, on our first Alaska cruise, we brought our then-teenaged daughters with us and had two sky suites...The girls ran the poor butler ragged...They had him serving them breakfast in their suite every day, constantly bringing them DVDs for the then-included in-cabin DVD player, making all sorts of extra requests.  We gave that butler a really big tip on top of the "standard".

We once had a waiter who learned I loved sushi...So, EVERY dinner, he ran up to the sushi bar and picked us up a selection of sushi to add to our appetizers...To me, that was well above and beyond--That guy got a really big extra tip...And when we've done our drinking in the "Elite Lounge" (maybe a thing of the past), every cruise I'd give those guys a large extra tip on the last night...because they always remembered what I drink, always had it waiting for me, etc.

To me, those "extra tips" are for service above and beyond...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

I'll drink an occasional martini, but I am primarily a bourbon man.      I wonder if the pre cruise concierge can get some of my favorites stocked in the retreat bar ???     We did make a couple stops at the Martini Bar on Summit when we sailed on her.

I wouldn’t bother pre cruise concierge, but I would talk to server in the retreat, we didn’t like the wine in the old suite lounge and they got the wine we wanted and kept it in stock for the rest of our cruise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George C said:

I wouldn’t bother pre cruise concierge, but I would talk to server in the retreat, we didn’t like the wine in the old suite lounge and they got the wine we wanted and kept it in stock for the rest of our cruise. 

A quick funny.....when we sail RCL, I have a contact in RCL Dining on land.   I call her with details of our upcoming cruise and she arranges with the ship to have orange sherbet available for me at every dessert.   (Always gets my group of 8-10 a great quiet table too.)   Last time on Symphony our MDR server greeted us the first night by asking "Who's the orange sherbet guy?".   They'll even find us when we go to a specialty restaurant and have the sherbet waiting there too.   Pre cruise contacts can really come through sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, pennys mum said:

The first time we booked a suite we were on a Baltic cruise.

we came back from a 12 hour trip to Berlin on a train with approximately 600 passengers

we were standing in a huge line to board the ship when an officer came over and told us to follow )her.

the people behind us queried this and was told    "they are in a suite so there is another line"

On the ship in 5 minutes.

did I feel bad? My head did but my feet were grateful.

How did they know that you were in a suite?    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

15 hours ago, tigger8792 said:

Just an FYI, you also have a room steward.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

My daughter  had her sea pass in her hand and they are a different colour...grey if I remember

the officer told us that she walked up and down the line looking for these sea pass cards for the people who did not know about the suite line

On 4/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, TeeRick said:

I book a suite because I have a lot of extra money to spend!😀

Dear Uncle Rick :

How are you ? I am fine . The weather here is starting to warm up.

Did you forget about that new set of golf clubs you promised me, you know , the ones that will help my game get better ??

Pinboy

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Dear Uncle Rick :

How are you ? I am fine . The weather here is starting to warm up.

Did you forget about that new set of golf clubs you promised me, you know , the ones that will help my game get better ??

Pinboy

Pinboy no problem.  Just as soon as you can travel from Canada.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Pinboy no problem.  Just as soon as you can travel from Canada.

You should be careful with what you say,, we can't drive to the US, but we certainly can fly, if that makes any sense

59 minutes ago, hbe30 said:

You should be careful with what you say,, we can't drive to the US, but we certainly can fly, if that makes any sense

Canada seems to have more restrictions than us, I know Toronto blue jays can’t play at home, so there home games are either in Florida or Buffalo.

On 4/12/2021 at 2:03 PM, zdad59 said:

TIA

I understand they no longer serve "blue" beverages. The color clashes with the ship's blue paint.

Edited by Sam.Seattle
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2021 at 5:44 PM, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Generally, after you have been onboard some staff members through out the ship will know where you are staying.  When boarding Celebrity if you are in a top suite, they will have your photos printed and will be looking for you when you are boarding. (at Fort Lauderdale in my personal experience).

Remember all the folks who wear their room card in a clear sleeve? Ever wonder why? 🤪

Cheers,

🍹

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, George C said:

But 500,000 Canadians didn’t die of Covid 

37,742,154 Canada Population
23,490 Covid deaths in Canada
.00062%

331,002,651 United States Population
564,000 Covid deaths in USA
.00170%

According to Google U

Cheers!
🥂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Remember all the folks who wear their room card in a clear sleeve? Ever wonder why? 🤪

Cheers,

🍹

They wear them around their necks because it's the only way to carry them when their hands are full with a drink in one hand and a plate of food in the other.  😁

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Generally, after you have been onboard some staff members through out the ship will know where you are staying.  When boarding Celebrity if you are in a top suite, they will have your photos printed and will be looking for you when you are boarding. (at Fort Lauderdale in my personal experience).

Cheers,

🍹

Me thinks you are onto something!😉. I've seen it so many times. The lanyard of "do you know who I am? ". With me my key card will stay firmly in my pocket until I have to pay for something (or not as the case may be!). To some though it's a badge of honour to be worn proudly. 

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1