What I would love to see out of NYC when cruising returns

Red-Sol

I have no idea if it is even feasible or not...but I would love to see the following when cruising starts up again. 

A Breakaway or Breakaway Plus ship running year round out of NYC. Could kind of follow many of the common routes now.

Say during mid-March and April..the 7 day Bahamas run
May through Mid September the 7 day Bermuda run

Mid September through October the 7 day Canada run

From November through mid-March (This would be where it is very different) have continuous alternating 14 day sailings doing different Caribbean routes. Maybe even throw in one or two 21 day sailings as well. (The few 14 day sailings that have been offered in the past have been very popular and sold out quickly...so why not extend the Winter season out of NYC to cover those types of sailings...my 2 favorite ships I have been on are the Bliss and Escape...so bonus points if they could be used 😉

Edited by Red-Sol
  • Like 9

Although older and with less bells and whistles, the Gem class is much better suited (actually designed for, along with Dawn) for winter service out of NYC due to higher speed and greater stability to deal with heavy weather.

• Like 3

Any cruises out of Manhattan Cruise Terminal in nyc would be like a dream come true. 

We don’t fly on planes, so cruising is our way to travel, besides car road trips. 

Let’s keep on dreaming. Would love to sail the Gem in a heartbeat. 

Regret never sailing those cruises to nowhere. Sigh. 

Stay safe.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Would like to see in mid-May mid-October for example some 9 day cruises- perhaps an overnight in PC or perhaps pairing Bermuda with Charleston.

Cruise to no where- maybe 3 nights would be good- it seemed the 2 night ones were pricey given the time you were actually on baord

• Like 2

I guess we're in the minority here. We try to book itineraries with as few sea days as possible. Outside of sailing from NY to Canada/New England which is on our bucket list, we really have no desire to sail out of NY even though we live here and can be at the port in < 1 hour.

In winter it will be too cold to be outside and enjoy the views or pool. You don't see people driving in convertibles with the top down in the winter, so why would you want to sit on a balcony or outdoor deck for days at end until you get South enough for it to warm up?

Given the option of spending 4 days sailing to/from the Southern Caribbean, or just hopping on a short flight to San Juan to start the trip from there, we'll opt for a San Juan departure every time.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

I guess we're in the minority here. We try to book itineraries with as few sea days as possible. Outside of sailing from NY to Canada/New England which is on our bucket list, we really have no desire to sail out of NY even though we live here and can be at the port in < 1 hour.

In winter it will be too cold to be outside and enjoy the views or pool. You don't see people driving in convertibles with the top down in the winter, so why would you want to sit on a balcony or outdoor deck for days at end until you get South enough for it to warm up?

Given the option of spending 4 days sailing to/from the Southern Caribbean, or just hopping on a short flight to San Juan to start the trip from there, we'll opt for a San Juan departure every time.

It's not as cold for as long as you might think sailing out of NYC in the Winter. Have done several 14 day cruises in the months of January and February and each time by mid-afternoon on the 2nd sea day it would warm up enough so it was bearable to be on deck...and keep warming up more and more after that.

We also really don't want to fly if at all possible. It's not a fear of flying but it is just a case that we know somewhere along the line there will be a hassle involved...there always is! 😉

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to see more 10-11 day itineraries!

Being of the age where we still need to work work (and knowing how NCL has the worst internet at sea), we can't spend that much time out of the office trying to work remotely. 

The 10/11 day itineraries that depart on a Friday and return on a Sunday/Monday are perfect, because we're able to maximize two weekends in a vacation, while only being out of the office for one full workweek.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but the pools on the Gem out of NY used to be heated (with steam rising off of them in colder weather). I've taken a number of mid-winter first night dips in the pool when the outside temp has been at or near 32F. 

One of the slides on the "ship's position" TV station would list the outside temperature, alongside the pool temps. 

• Like 3

@AstoriaPreppy, @Red-Sol, @Sailing12Away, @meatball_nyc, @foodsvcmgr

Although not NCL, consider RCI's Anthem of the Seas out of Bayonne (Cape Liberty), NJ. As one of RCI's Quantum-class ships, Anthem OTS has a fully enclosed adults-only Solarium (w/pool & hot tubs) plus a totally enclosed pool on the main pool deck. Ideally suited for winter, cold weather sailings from the NY/NJ metro area.

I'll let you know how it is because I am booked on her for Jan 20-31, 2022, an 11-day Southern Caribbean cruise. I'm kind of surprised at how Anthem OTS can get all the way down to the Southern Caribbean (I think she goes down as far as St. Lucia) and back to NJ in an 11-day cruise. Perhaps turbos on her main engines, lol?

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

@AstoriaPreppy, @Red-Sol, @Sailing12Away, @meatball_nyc, @foodsvcmgr

Although not NCL, consider RCI's Anthem of the Seas out of Bayonne (Cape Liberty), NJ. As one of RCI's Quantum-class ships, Anthem OTS has a fully enclosed adults-only Solarium (w/pool & hot tubs) plus a totally enclosed pool on the main pool deck. Ideally suited for winter, cold weather sailings from the NY/NJ metro area.

I'll let you know how it is because I am booked on her for Jan 20-31, 2022, an 11-day Southern Caribbean cruise. I'm kind of surprised at how Anthem OTS can get all the way down to the Southern Caribbean (I think she goes down as far as St. Lucia) and back to NJ in an 11-day cruise. Perhaps turbos on her main engines, lol?

I've done these itineraries many times before. It's 2 sea days plus from NY/NJ to the first port, San Juan. Then four ports after San Juan, the last being St. Lucia, and about 3 days at sea to get back to NY/NJ from St Lucia at normal cruising speed , so 11 days works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Although not NCL, consider RCI's Anthem of the Seas out of Bayonne (Cape Liberty), NJ.

Great point! The Celebrity Summit is also NJ based for part of the year, and has their thalasotherapy spa pool for general passenger use in the solarium. It’s a really zen sort of space, and the shoulder massage jets are amazing. 

As for St. Lucia, the Gem regularly sails that far, and surrounding islands, during her 10 and 11 day itineraries from NYC (or at least used to).  I know the Gem has normal Diesel engines (no gas turbines), so I assume it’s just very hydrodynamic and they just crank the engines. 

• Like 1

We live 15-20 minutes drive straight down the West Side Highway to the MCT. 

So convenient. Husband (who doesn’t cruise) drives us to and from the ship. 

Hopefully we can all be back onboard one day...we miss being on the ocean.

If not, looks like it may be road trips to the beaches of Long Island or NJ. Would be nice to get away for a bit. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, meatball_nyc said:

We live 15-20 minutes drive straight down the West Side Highway to the MCT. 

So convenient. Husband (who doesn’t cruise) drives us to and from the ship. 

Hopefully we can all be back onboard one day...we miss being on the ocean.

If not, looks like it may be road trips to the beaches of Long Island or NJ. Would be nice to get away for a bit. 

I don't mean to be nosey...but has your husband ever actually gone on a cruise with you? The reason I ask is for way too many years my wife would want to go on a cruise and I always brushed it off. Always thought I would be boarding the Titanic! Finally 1 year she actually convinced me to go and give it a try. well as soon as I did that was "Game Over" and I decided that really was the only type of vacation I wanted to do after that. Was completely and irreversibly hooked! 🙂

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Great point! The Celebrity Summit is also NJ based for part of the year, and has their thalasotherapy spa pool for general passenger use in the solarium. It’s a really zen sort of space, and the shoulder massage jets are amazing. 

As for St. Lucia, the Gem regularly sails that far, and surrounding islands, during her 10 and 11 day itineraries from NYC (or at least used to).  I know the Gem has normal Diesel engines (no gas turbines), so I assume it’s just very hydrodynamic and they just crank the engines. 

Thanks. Great info about the Celebrity Summit (I didn't know that). In my list of booked cruises (see my expanded signature block), you can see that I am trying to "up my game" by sailing on the Celebrity Apex out of Port Everglades, FL on Dec 30, 2022 - Jan 7, 2023 (New Year's cruise!). I'll be a solo cruiser and I have found that Celebrity is and becoming even more "solo-friendly" with their 2 Edge-class ships (Edge & Apex). Edge has 16 Single Infinite Veranda staterooms and Apex will have 24! Tells me that Celebrity is increasing their marketing to solo cruisers (like me). Kudos Celebrity! (I may have to cruise more with them).

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Perhaps turbos on her main engines, lol?

This makes me think of some of the Princess ships that everyone laughingly said looked like they had jet engines/turbo boosters on their funnels LOL 😁

image.png.8b6e86d0dfb80eae8fa1f600b2750f51.png

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

This makes me think of some of the Princess ships that everyone laughingly said looked like they had jet engines/turbo boosters on their funnels LOL 😁

image.png.8b6e86d0dfb80eae8fa1f600b2750f51.png

True. My only comment/thought is; why?

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

I'll be a solo cruiser and I have found that Celebrity is and becoming even more "solo-friendly" with their 2 Edge-class ships (Edge & Apex). Edge has 16 Single Infinite Veranda staterooms and Apex will have 24! Tells me that Celebrity is increasing their marketing to solo cruisers (like me). Kudos Celebrity! (I may have to cruise more with them).

We loved the Edge class. Sailed Edge in Europe in 2019, and the ship was astounding. Lots of non traditional design choices for a cruise ship, but very forward looking. So much glass and light and ocean views everywhere. Very different from NCL, but I’m sure you’ll enjoy. 

9 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

So the weird this about those jet things on the Princess funnels is that they’re only on the ships with extra gas turbine engines... but are completely non functional. It’s like if you drove an electric vehicle,  but had fake solar panels on the car so everyone would know you were driving an EV. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

We loved the Edge class. Sailed Edge in Europe in 2019, and the ship was astounding. Lots of non traditional design choices for a cruise ship, but very forward looking. So much glass and light and ocean views everywhere. Very different from NCL, but I’m sure you’ll enjoy. 

So the weird this about those jet things on the Princess funnels is that they’re only on the ships with extra gas turbine engines... but are completely non functional. It’s like if you drove an electric vehicle,  but had fake solar panels on the car so everyone would know you were driving an EV. 

Thanks for sharing your experience on & thoughts about the Celebrity Edge. My Apex cruise is a ways off (Dec 30, 2022 - Jan 7, 2023 <- New Year's cruise!) but from what you have told me, it looks like I have something really to look forward to!  Q; is Celebrity "stuffy" like some of the luxury/upscale cruise lines (i.e. Oceana, Regent Seven Seas, etc)?

The only Princess cruise I have taken was to Alaska (from Vancouver) on the now covid infamous Diamond Princess. I was wondering if she had the jet engines/turbo boosters on the funnel, and sure enough;

Diamond Princess: How a Dream Voyage Turned Into a Coronavirus Nightmare |  Travel Agent Central