Any advantage to transferring a deposit from a September 2021 cruise to an April 2023 cruise?

Basketball wife

2 minutes ago, Basketball wife said:

I know that if I cancel a cruise before Celebrity does, I will get my deposit as an FCC but I am wondering if there is an advantage to just moving the current reservation deposit immediately to a new reservation? (Such as an OBC). Has anyone done this?

You would need to look at what Celebrity or your TA is offering as a promo.  Depending on tour residency, before final payment most could be refunded.

Looking for promos?  Maybe Memorial Day.

I moved a July cruise to 2022 simply to avoid all the stress from uncertainty that then cruise will happen as already rescheduled twice before

12 minutes ago, Basketball wife said:

I know that if I cancel a cruise before Celebrity does, I will get my deposit as an FCC but I am wondering if there is an advantage to just moving the current reservation deposit immediately to a new reservation? (Such as an OBC). Has anyone done this?

I did this last night, I was charged a $100pp change fee for each of us.  Was worth it 😏 sort of, as overall the change in suite reduced our over all cost.

Just want to rid myself of the uncertainty of if or if not the cruise is on. Couldn’t find anything on Celebrity website so I sent an email to Celebrity Touch a few days ago but they haven’t responded. Not really looking for promos but just wondering if it could be quicker than waiting for the FCC to be issued.

If you have a non refundable deposit then you will lost $100 pp if you cancel & the rest will be returned as a FCC.  If you move the deposit you will have a $100 pp change fee. If your deposit is refundable then canx.

Our last FCC arrived within 30 days of Celebrity cancelling the cruise.

I moved a cruise about 2 months ago from November 21 to April 23 and wasn’t charged anything. I specifically asked if I would be charged any fees (not that it would have mattered) and was told no. She was extremely helpful and was glad to do it, only stating that I would have to pay the current rate. 

It doesn’t hurt to ask.

There are only a couple of things to take into consideration.  This is assuming you are in North America

Refundable deposit.   You can cancel before final payment and get a total refund of your deposit or you can move the reservation to another sailing without any penalty

Nonrefundable deposit.   You can cancel and get 100% of your deposit as FCC.  They $100  pp penalty is waived due to the Cruise with Confidence program since the sailing is prior to 5/2/2022.    You can move the reservation to your new sailing but there will be the $100 pp penalty as the new sailing is after 5/2/2022.

Onboard booking   If your existing reservation is an onboard booking then you may want to seriously consider moving the reservation to retain the book onboard OBC bonus.   If you cancel the reservation of course this bonus is gone.

• Like 2

There are a lot of variables in this question - when your reservation was made, was the cruise canceled or likely to be cancelled, what country or State do you live in, your Captains Club status, and most important an aggressive TA.  So there is no easy answer(s) to the question.  I can tell you my experience but it does not necessarily apply to everyone or anyone else.

Last month I cancelled a reservation through my well connected Internet TA that Celebrity said was probably going to be cancelled (it was currently on "hold").  I am CC Elite but I don't think that got me anything.  My TA was able to negotiate these options with Celebrity:

- Cancel my reservation with 100% of my deposit returned with no cancellation fee.

OR,

- 125% FCC on whatever I had on deposit with Celebrity if a new reservation was made immediately on a new cruise within approximately a year (it depends).  My TA said that many of her clients were taking this option and paying for their cancelled cruise in full.  Where else can you make a guaranteed 25% on your money in a years time?

OR,

- An unadvertised "Lift and Shift" option if I moved my reservation to a qualifying similar cruise (it's a B2B), similar stateroom, similar perks within approximately a year.

I chose option 3.  The cruise a year from now was incredibly more expensive, because of AI promotion, if I were to take the FCC option where I would be paying prevailing rate for the new cruise.  With L&S option I kept my current rate and all my perks if I prepaid for the new cruise in full.  At the time I booked the cancelled cruise about 18 months ago, I was able to pick two perks promotion.  I took beverage package and Internet.  I also got a lot of OBC through various promotions( CC status, booking while onboard, TA promotion, etc.) that was about double the amount of gratuities.  I was able to keep all my perks and a similar level stateroom.  (I tried to upgrade to a Sky Suite and pay the difference but Celebrity said "no way Jose, you gonna pay new prevailing rate for entire cruise in that case) This turned out to be a much less expensive option and better deal than 125% FCC because the new prevailing rate for that specific cruise was about 150% more.

This was all negotiated for me through my TA, I was not directly involved.  Easy peasy.  In the final analysis, it pays to have a hard working TA on your behalf!

Edited by El Crucero

12 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I did this last night, I was charged a $100pp change fee for each of us.  Was worth it 😏 sort of, as overall the change in suite reduced our over all cost.

12 hours ago, jelayne said:

If you have a non refundable deposit then you will lost $100 pp if you cancel & the rest will be returned as a FCC.  If you move the deposit you will have a $100 pp change fee. If your deposit is refundable then canx.

Our last FCC arrived within 30 days of Celebrity cancelling the cruise.

Interesting. We just used (transferred) our July 17th Edge cruise with a NRD on Tuesday to book a Nov 4th Apex cruise and our X PVP said the $100 penalty was waived (and it was) based on the following CWC guidelines. If this makes a difference, we kept the same booking number as we had a double points promo tied to it:

• Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings: If canceled outside of penalty, the full deposit amount will be returned (without penalty) in the form of an FCC. If canceled within any phase of penalty, the cruise fare including full deposit (without penalty) will be issued as an FCC.

Thanks Everyone! Much appreciated.

I am Elite+. TheSeptember cruise is already a Lift and Shift and I know under CWC I would not lose anything and am aware of several of the options proposed. My curiosity was about changing the reservation to one two years later (like many of you I have had to move several cruises to the end of 2022— no more room in the schedule📅📆🤷🏻‍♀️).

Final payment is in June... I guess I will just wait.

This thread is interesting and helpful.  I think I have a little different concern. 

• Cruise was booked onboard in 2019 with certain perks attached and a low deposit. 
  • Cancelled by X twice and all perks and deposit was transferred to Nov. '21 cruise with the re-booking under the condition of the next year/4 weeks of  original sail date
  • Another cruise is booked for June '22.  Deposit Refundable. 

If I cancel Nov. '21, before final payment, I'd like to move the Nov. '21 OBC and perks to the June '22 cruise.  Is this possible?  Because it's 2 different booking numbers, I'm thinking they'd ask me to cancel June '22 first, so then they'd apply the '21 booking number to a newly booked and transferred 2022 June cruise.

I never thought this was doable, but some posts above have moved outside of the year to year condition established when I last had to move a cancelled cruise.  Or is this only possible if X cancels the cruise? 

1) Get a refund in cash , or take an FCC.  In either case you will very likely be paying quite a bit more for your next cruise in 2023 even with 125% FCC.

2) The option of L&S if available and applied to a cruise that you would definitely want is likely the best alternative for many people.  Particularly if you booked previously onboard and got a great price and enhanced perks and OBC.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Interesting. We just used (transferred) our July 17th Edge cruise with a NRD on Tuesday to book a Nov 4th Apex cruise and our X PVP said the $100 penalty was waived (and it was) based on the following CWC guidelines. If this makes a difference, we kept the same booking number as we had a double points promo tied to it:

• Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings: If canceled outside of penalty, the full deposit amount will be returned (without penalty) in the form of an FCC. If canceled within any phase of penalty, the cruise fare including full deposit (without penalty) will be issued as an FCC.

Very interesting as we did not cancel we just changed the type of suite we had and were charged the $100pp fee.  Looks like I need to make a call today.  Thanks for the info!

28 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

1) Get a refund in cash , or take an FCC.  In either case you will very likely be paying quite a bit more for your next cruise in 2023 even with 125% FCC.

2) The option of L&S if available and applied to a cruise that you would definitely want is likely the best alternative for many people.  Particularly if you booked previously onboard and got a great price and enhanced perks and OBC.

Thanks.....my concern is if I cancel Nov. '21 cruise because ports may not be open, or sail won't even happen, can I transfer Nov. '21 OBC to June '22 already booked cruise.  Two different booking numbers, so this probably isn't within the rules.  If I wait until after final payment, X will most likely insist on re-booking the Nov. '21 cruise to Nov. '23.

El Crucero: interesting option of unadvertised L & S. we moved our 8/20 Med cruise to the identical one in 9/21, but it did not qualify for L & S. We're now expecting our upcoming cruise to be cancelled. I wonder if X will now offer a L & S to us . We've so far gone from a Sky suite to A2 cabin at a higher rate. Our same cruise & cabin is now much more than we paid & I don't want to roll over at  a higher rate again. We are elite & already get a number of perks that are now included in the new pricing. Our deposit was refundable.  Your comments on L & S please.

17 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Thanks.....my concern is if I cancel Nov. '21 cruise because ports may not be open, or sail won't even happen, can I transfer Nov. '21 OBC to June '22 already booked cruise.  Two different booking numbers, so this probably isn't within the rules.  If I wait until after final payment, X will most likely insist on re-booking the Nov. '21 cruise to Nov. '23.

I believe you would be allowed to move your onboard booking with the reduced deposit to the June 22 sailing at prevailing rates.  You would retain the onboard booking OBC bonus only and keep the reduced deposit.   You could then move or cancel the existing reservation on that sailing.

There is a condition in the CwC FAQ's which allows you to transfer the book onboard OBC bonus to a new booking if you cancel with CwC.   I have done this before with a new booking but you may be able to convince them to move that OBC to your existing June 22 booking but they won't reduce the deposit.

Edited by wrk2cruise

9 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe you would be allowed to move your onboard booking with the reduced deposit to the June 22 sailing at prevailing rates.  You would retain the onboard booking OBC bonus only and keep the reduced deposit.   You could then move or cancel the existing reservation on that sailing.

There is a condition in the CwC FAQ's which allows you to transfer the book onboard OBC bonus to a new booking if you cancel with CwC.   I have done this before with a new booking but you may be able to convince them to move that OBC to your existing June 22 booking but they won't reduce the deposit.

The 1st cruise has only a $200 deposit...so if lost that's ok.  2nd cruise in '22 has a refundable $960 Cdn. deposit.  Would that deposit still be applied, even though I lose the $200 in penalty?  So no more outgoing $$s but substantial OBC would/could be transferred?  Very confusing.    I wouldn't want to re-book June '22 at prevailing rates.  Booked early at a great rate and location.  Just would like to keep the OBC from the Nov. cruise.  Doesn't appear to be doable to our advantage.

Also, if you know, I heard mention of OBC benefits for CC membership...we're Elite +.  There's a promo out today but before that I don't believe we've ever received any $$ benefit for membership which would be automatic without a promo?

Edited by Oceangoer2

15 minutes ago, dabear said:

El Crucero: interesting option of unadvertised L & S. we moved our 8/20 Med cruise to the identical one in 9/21, but it did not qualify for L & S. We're now expecting our upcoming cruise to be cancelled. I wonder if X will now offer a L & S to us . We've so far gone from a Sky suite to A2 cabin at a higher rate. Our same cruise & cabin is now much more than we paid & I don't want to roll over at  a higher rate again. We are elite & already get a number of perks that are now included in the new pricing. Our deposit was refundable.  Your comments on L & S please.

Elite status is worth a bag of laundry today Not much else.  We will never make Elite and will seriously look at other cruiselines now that our Elite+ loyalty is worth little.

My TA said she could get basically a L&S for a July 21 cruise to 23 or a refund.  DW said to take a refund.  Reason for us as tired of planning around cruises and having them cancelled.  FWIW for example on Summit Iceland cruise we will fly to Iceland about 3 weeks early and drive about.  Then cruise home.  Absolutely no clue as to what we will try in 2023.

CC benefits are usually for on board bookings or a discount for specific cruises.  Usually not worth it a my TA can offer hundreds more in OBCR and lower group fares that are always refundable up.to final payment dates.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

59 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

The 1st cruise has only a $200 deposit...so if lost that's ok.  2nd cruise in '22 has a refundable $960 Cdn. deposit.  Would that deposit still be applied, even though I lose the $200 in penalty?  So no more outgoing $$s but substantial OBC would/could be transferred?  Very confusing.    I wouldn't want to re-book June '22 at prevailing rates.  Booked early at a great rate and location.  Just would like to keep the OBC from the Nov. cruise.  Doesn't appear to be doable to our advantage.

Also, if you know, I heard mention of OBC benefits for CC membership...we're Elite +.  There's a promo out today but before that I don't believe we've ever received any $$ benefit for membership which would be automatic without a promo?

Ok with this additional info this is what I would propose based on the fact that you have a good rate on the '22 cruise which you wouldn't want to rebook at prevailing rates.

Just cancel the Nov cruise (NRD I presume) prior to final payment date using Cruise With Confidence cancellation program.  You will not lose your $200 deposit it will be issued as FCC which can be applied to the '22 cruise.

Here is the FAQ regarding the book onboard OBC.   It does state a new booking but I'm pretty sure you can convince them to apply it to your existing reservation.  It may not be all the FCC on your existing reservation if for example you have OBC from other booking perks.   It will be based on the chart below depending on the # of days of the '22 sailing and type of cabin booked.   You or your TA are going to need to call Celebrity and push for this.  Bottom line it's not a ton of money if it doesn't work out.  Probably way less than the difference in what you booked the '22 sailing at and prevailing rates.

What will happen to my Celebrity Passages onboard credit if I take advantage of the Cruise with Confidence program?

Should you choose to cancel and receive a Cruise with Confidence FCC, your Celebrity Passages onboard credits will be applied to the new sailing when you rebook.  Additionally, if you received an onboard credit as a result of a redeployment, charter, or other goodwill gesture, it will also follow you to your new booking.

image.thumb.png.63263e219d58b82e6b4b04a8ffd16ba0.png

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

Ok with this additional info this is what I would propose based on the fact that you have a good rate on the '22 cruise which you wouldn't want to rebook at prevailing rates.

Just cancel the Nov cruise (NRD I presume) prior to final payment date using Cruise With Confidence cancellation program.  You will not lose your $200 deposit it will be issued as FCC which can be applied to the '22 cruise.

Here is the FAQ regarding the book onboard OBC.   It does state a new booking but I'm pretty sure you can convince them to apply it to your existing reservation.  It may not be all the FCC on your existing reservation if for example you have OBC from other booking perks.   It will be based on the chart below depending on the # of days of the '22 sailing and type of cabin booked.   You or your TA are going to need to call Celebrity and push for this.  Bottom line it's not a ton of money if it doesn't work out.  Probably way less than the difference in what you booked the '22 sailing at and prevailing rates.

What will happen to my Celebrity Passages onboard credit if I take advantage of the Cruise with Confidence program?

Should you choose to cancel and receive a Cruise with Confidence FCC, your Celebrity Passages onboard credits will be applied to the new sailing when you rebook.  Additionally, if you received an onboard credit as a result of a redeployment, charter, or other goodwill gesture, it will also follow you to your new booking.

image.thumb.png.63263e219d58b82e6b4b04a8ffd16ba0.png

Thank you very much.....I've copied all the info into a gmail file for future reference while I wait to see how the next few months will work out.  Things may change for the better re this virus but I'm still as uncomfortable now as I was last year at this time.  Trying to think ahead as to what will be the best path to follow.

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

TeeRick — every time I see your avatar, it reminds me of this.

89C2183A-F9BD-4024-804C-2CF02BC4C6C1.jpeg

Edited by Jazzbo