The Daily for Sunday Apr 18, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Juggler's Day, Newspaper Columnists Day, and Pet Owners Independence Day

Cleanliness becomes more important when godliness is unlikely. - P. J. O'Rourke

Meal suggestion for today - Ham and Swiss Casserole

Drink of the Day - Dirty Snowmen

Wine of the day - La Jota Merlot Howell Mountain 2016

Port of the Day - Alter Do Chao Brazil

At Sea Gulf of California
Koningsdam Destination Long Beach eta 4/23

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/21

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

0418Europe.thumb.png.15b69a23cd4f0e85975103f49abeef2c.png

0418USA.thumb.png.a57710f6c8a591ab3cfc56df9a902989.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  A really winning combination of days with Jugglers, Pet Owners, and Newspaper Columnists, not to mention HAL's birthday.  Love the Quote.  Alter do Chao is perfectly suited to Amazon cruises, especially on smaller ships.  The casserole sounds nice.  My alternative is Pinnacle Caesar Salad, Petit Filet, and Baked Alaska as served on MS Amsterdam April 16, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac issues

Welfare of furloughed crews

NextOne DH in hospital

Queen Elizabeth

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A dignified sendoff for Phillip

Welcome back Dismomx5

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

A safe emergency landing at the air show

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

148 years for HAL

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Happy Sunday.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  Pet Owners Independence Day sounds like fun.  I can't juggle and there are still some good newspaper columnists around that I enjoy.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good, but I don't have any ham so will file it away for another day.

Looking forward to reading about a dirty snowman.😉 

I hope the wine is fine.

Thanks in advance for the pictures of the port of the day, I haven't been to Brazil.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 16

Good morning, everyone.   It is looking like it will be a nice day.  Sun is out and the sky is blue this morning.  It is supposed to be on the chilly side, but at least we get some sun today.

We have an interesting grouping of days to celebrate today.   I'm not a juggler, at least not in the traditional sense.  I do juggle tasks and jobs like many of us do.  What is meant by Pet Owners Independence Day?  

Today's meal is one people either like a lot or don't at all from the reviews.  Plenty of suggestions on what could or should be done differently in the comments.  I'm skipping this meal as ham isn't my favorite and the carb content is high.  Roy's alternative sounds great.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ham-and-swiss-casserole/

1 serving: 360 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 815mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.

Ham-and-Swiss-Casserole_EXPS_13X9BZ19_7934_E10_09_4b-2.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

What is meant by Pet Owners Independence Day?  

How to Observe Pet Owners Independence Day

Your pet should be going to your job for you today, taking out the garbage, cooking the meals, and turning off the lights when you leave rooms. If you can get your pet to do all these things, you will be having unparalleled success in celebrating the holiday. More likely, you will have to celebrate the holiday by doing things with your pet. Do the things they commonly do. Lay in the sun, take lots of naps, cuddle, chew on things, play fetch, and run around the house for no reason at all. If you are switching roles with your dog, you could chase some cats, and if you are switching roles with your cat, you could get a workout by chasing birds. If you don't have a pet, you could still act like an animal anyway!

• Like 19
  • Haha 15

2 minutes ago, richwmn said:

How to Observe Pet Owners Independence Day

Your pet should be going to your job for you today, taking out the garbage, cooking the meals, and turning off the lights when you leave rooms. If you can get your pet to do all these things, you will be having unparalleled success in celebrating the holiday. More likely, you will have to celebrate the holiday by doing things with your pet. Do the things they commonly do. Lay in the sun, take lots of naps, cuddle, chew on things, play fetch, and run around the house for no reason at all. If you are switching roles with your dog, you could chase some cats, and if you are switching roles with your cat, you could get a workout by chasing birds. If you don't have a pet, you could still act like an animal anyway!

Sounds like some fun in store!

• Like 12

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I will salute you as our newspaper columnist, though you are more of an Editor in Chief.  Love today’s combination of days. Bindi just gave me “the look”, when I told her that we were switching roles!

Roy, thank you for juggling our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Boy that drink sounds interesting. Pass on the meal, it sounds a bit too rich for me. Another rainy day is in store for us here, but at least we did not wake to downpours. We had quite the light show with last night’s storm. My gathering with friends was rescheduled to tonight, so I will most likely have salmon burgers and salad for supper. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone. 

This Napa Merlot has outstanding ratings, but is a bit outside of my budget. I found one online distributor who offered it for $75.98, but you might find it cheaper locally. The experts do disagree as to when one should enjoy it. 🤔

Winemaker Notes

#37 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

The 2016 La Jota Merlot encompasses all that is mountain Merlot with a structure to relish. Notes of espresso, dark chocolate, and toast follow ripe blackberry, minerality, and weight on the palate.

WS95 Wine Spectator: An elegant style, featuring lilting flavors of red currant and dried raspberry that show hints of cedar and paprika. Fine-edged, with savory richness midpalate. Dried green herbal notes emerge on the minerally finish. Drink now through 2026.

WE95 Wine Enthusiast: This tremendously impressive red wine is blended with small amounts of Petit Verdot and Tannat and given 20 months in French oak, a good majority of it new. Reductive at first, it expands to show root beer, cedar and dried herb in a classically structured and hugely concentrated frame of big tannin and weight. Enjoy 2026–2031. Cellar Selection

JS94 James Suckling: This is a layered and round-textured wine with dark berries, chocolate and terracotta. Full body. Juicy fruit. Flavorful finish. Drink after 2021.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

It’s a lovely morning here in Branson, but a cold front of has come through and it’s only 42 degrees, a little chilly for sitting out on the deck. I feel a thread running through the days today. I look like a juggler sometimes when my mini-dachshund gets under my feet trying to “help” and I used to use newspapers (and their columnists) to line our bird cages. I don’t have any birds right now, but used to raise canaries, parakeets and finches.

I’m sorry I missed yesterday, so let me take a moment to appreciate my husband. He is my rock and the love if my life for almost 51 years. He has faced down health problems including severe heart disease (he only has one functioning artery) and leukemia. We discovered cruising fairly late, but have made up for it since. I was thrilled that after his recovery from chemo and being released by the oncologist, we went right back to cruising. One bucket list cruise-Cuba on the Veendam. The mention of yesterday’s drink reminded me that while DH and I were enjoying a ride in one of the old cars around Havana, our daughters were at a local restaurant learning how to make a proper Cuba Libre, enjoying some Cuban coffee and smoking cigars! 

Take care and have a wonderful day. Will pray for our concern list this morning at online church and raise a glass of wine this afternoon in celebration.

St Louis Sal

18C220AF-C79E-4F50-81DC-EAC14DDF8D2C.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good  morning   to  all. Thanks  Rich  and  Roy  for the  days,quotes,lists  and  port. The  opinion  columns  are my  favorite  part  of  the paper  although  I  find  myself  talking  back  to  them  lately.As  others  have  said, I  used  to  juggle  two  jobs, kids  and  a  household  but  find  myself  much  less  able  to  multitask these  days. I  will  pass  on  the  recipe  today  but  would  love  to  have  someone  serve  me  Roy's  meal  on  a  BHB!

My DB  and DSIL  are  paying  a  surprise  visit  to  us  tomorrow. I  am  trying   to  get  the  house  in  order(!) and  come  up  with an  acceptable  meal. We  lovingly  call  my DB  the  "food  police".  He  would  always  comment  on  our  food  choices  in  the  MDR when  we  cruised  together,much  to  DH's chagrin.  This  is  the  first  time  we  will  be  together in 17  months and  I  am  just  so  happy.

It  is  also  the  first  time  since  anyone  but  DD and  DSIL  have  come through  the front  door. Very exciting.     Terry

• Like 20

Good morning all!  I hope all jugglers, newspaper columnists and pet owners enjoy their day of recognition.  The ham and swiss casserole looks good but some of the nutrition numbers look a little concerning.  

Yesterday was one of the few days we had a port of the day that none of us had been to.  I know someone here has to have visited Alter Do Chao, Brazil before since that is a common stop on the Amazon River cruises.  We have tried to visit the Amazon at least three times but something else happened that caused a cancellation for us.  We are scheduled to go there again on the upcoming Jan. 2022 Grand South America and Antarctica cruise, but I'm not sure that's gonna happen either!  

@NextOneI hope your DH feels better soon and his home from the hospital with you once again.

And happy to hear the plane with the emergency at the air show landed safely in the shallow beach water.  What a scare for all involved!

• Like 21

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What a great collection of days and a very Happy 148th birthday to HAL.

I got a kick out of Pet Owners’ Independence Day.  In theory it should work like this:

057A9D4A-7309-4E26-96B6-3BC9799A0F18.thumb.jpeg.b7764b561e2601501ef97ee7df1a1874.jpeg

But any pet owner knows how it really works 😉 :

92622D1E-A63E-49A3-89CE-B30FA592606B.jpeg.50ef0af5a8f0e78303e5c8de5a31bf1a.jpeg

LOL on the O’Rourke quote.

@smitty34877I can feel your excitement.  Have a fabulous, long overdue visit 😄 

Not sure about the meal for today.  Too many leftovers and but it will be something soft and comforting - still tender.

@dfishI saw this the other day and thought of your printer problems and me trying to describe fixing it - LOL 🙂 

7130CADF-8375-41F1-8A69-613944A55166.thumb.jpeg.3d167df57f21cc4d24d004ac8c7378bf.jpeg

More rain and snow today but it will warm up tomorrow (that weatherman better be right) thankfully.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Yesterday’s funeral and farewell to Prince Philip was very moving.  Sending an extra prayer to the Queen:

FFC0E771-3B0D-4E5D-AB01-93C655D3038F.thumb.jpeg.fe36b666aeba1b3b136fc9cc6a0a2aa2.jpeg

Have a great Sunday everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

@smitty34877

@dfishI saw this the other day and thought of your printer problems and me trying to describe fixing it - LOL 🙂 

7130CADF-8375-41F1-8A69-613944A55166.thumb.jpeg.3d167df57f21cc4d24d004ac8c7378bf.jpeg

This really made me laugh.  It reminded me of the time my mother told me to go to the whatchamacallit and get the doohickey and bring it to her.   The amazing thing is I knew exactly what she wanted and brought it to her.  

• Like 11
  • Haha 5

I wasn't all that impressed with Alter do Chao.  It sits roughly 20 miles upstream from Santarem on the Rio Tapajos.  Most Amazon cruises visit Alter do Chao in one direction and Santarem going the other way.  I visited twice, a Prinsendam Amazon Explorer in 2013 and the Grand South America in 2019.  It's a tender port with a rather interesting landing, you land at a dock, walk about 100 yards across beach sand to a second landing.

temderdock.jpg

On the 2013 Amazon Explorer Alter Do Chao came first.  On that cruise I took a tour to Santarem and spent most of my time there but did pause a bit on the way back including the church:

alterchurch.jpg

On that cruise when we stopped in Santarem I opted for a tour of a rain forest.

In 2019 I did not take any tours but walked around both towns.  Here's the town square in Alter Do Chao:

altersquare.jpg

My main memory was from the Grand South America.  We went to Alter Do Chow returning downstream while the Veendam, headed upstream. docked in Santarem.  It was the last time the two would meet under HAL colors, and there was lots of tooting and celebration as we passed the Veendam and she followed us back to the main Amazon:

veenmeet.jpg

Roy

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and overcast day at the beach.

No longer have any pets . But jugglers , that is interesting Think we are all jugglers with tasks and changing plans!

Never been to Brazil. DH has been several times on business. We were scheduled this year but trip was cancelled. Again another trip on the list. Looking forward to pictures.

Today is Day 2 of the Airshow. The crowds here yesterday were insane. Planning on staying put again today.  The plane that went down was almost back to Patrick Air Force Base.  DH made a comment that the plane did not sound right when it went by us.  Luckily the pilot and those that were on that section of the beach are all ok.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 18

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  A really winning combination of days with Jugglers, Pet Owners, and Newspaper Columnists, not to mention HAL's birthday.  Love the Quote.  Alter do Chao is perfectly suited to Amazon cruises, especially on smaller ships.  The casserole sounds nice.  My alternative is Pinnacle Caesar Salad, Petit Filet, and Baked Alaska as served on MS Amsterdam April 16, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac issues

Welfare of furloughed crews

NextOne DH in hospital

Queen Elizabeth

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

A dignified sendoff for Phillip

Welcome back Dismomx5

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

A safe emergency landing at the air show

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

148 years for HAL

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Twas a nice send off for Prince Philip.  May the Lord have mercy on him.

• Like 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Late to the party again - did a rare sleep-in for no reason, but it sure felt good.  An interesting collection of days to celebrate - we've all been jugglers of timetables at some point in our lives, I appreciate the comics section of the newspaper most of all, and pet owners should mimic their pets.

We had bright sunshine yesterday which meant we could get out into the yard to plan this year's flowers, clean out the pots, wash them up and put them in place again.  We bought a new fountain for our anniversary, so had to figure out where we wanted it, and how we wished to set it up, so that took a good deal of time with conflicting opinions, if you catch my drift.  LOL

I have to tell you, we've been enjoying Aperol Spritzes since they were mentioned as the drink of the day.  Instead of opening a big bottle of prosecco, we purchased the little trio of either Henckell Troken or Frexinet cava, and 1 small bottle makes 2 drinks.

@kazu what a touching illustration of the queen and the late prince.

Tonight's dinner suggestion is nice, but we don't have any ham available right now, so I think I'm going to make my DMIL's easy oven Chinese rice and add some chicken breasts while it's baking.  That and a side salad will be on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

To honour Pet Owner's Independence Day, I think I'll go knock something off the counter.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24