The Daily for Thursday Apr 22, 2021

richwmn

Good  morning  from  a  chilly  NY. I  salute  all  the  days today  and  like  the  looks  of  our  daily  recipe. I  would  have  to  wait  for  the  proper  ingredients. @cunnorl,Enjoy  your  special  birthday  celebration  and  your  guests.  @kazu,so  glad  you  finally  have  an  appointment! And @bennybeara  belated  Happy Anniversary  to  you  both.

I went  to  Portland  on  the  Maasdam  but  only  found  this  picture  of  the  seagull  who  tried  to  hitch  a  ride  from  Boston.

IMG_0875.JPG

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  from  a  chilly  NY. I  salute  all  the  days today  and  like  the  looks  of  our  daily  recipe. I  would  have  to  wait  for  the  proper  ingredients. @cunnorl,Enjoy  your  special  birthday  celebration  and  your  guests.  @kazu,so  glad  you  finally  have  an  appointment! And @bennybeara  belated  Happy Anniversary  to  you  both.

I went  to  Portland  on  the  Maasdam  but  only  found  this  picture  of  the  seagull  who  tried  to  hitch  a  ride  from  Boston.

IMG_0875.JPG

was once on the Volendam and we had a bird that I understand hitch a ride every week and would hunt from the mast of the ship.  I was Chaplain on the ship and witnessed it two weeks in a row!

• Like 15

Happy Earth Day, all! I was a Girl Guide leader for many years. Not all jelly beans are created equal, but the good ones are amazing!

I GET MY FIRST JAB TODAY!!!! 🎉😁🎉😁🎉

@kazu Jacqui, congratulations on your appointment! 

That is all, except Happy Thursday, of course, as the vaccine brings us one step,closer to our BHB’s again!

560DD404-49BF-4152-8A4A-02FE3DEA5F34.thumb.jpeg.c8d17f06bec20d961161f228d144ae30.jpeg

• Like 25

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy Earth Day everyone - let's be gentle with it so future generations can enjoy it as much as we have.  I admire Girl Scout leaders - they have a tough job, reigning in a bunch of chatty youngsters.  Jelly Beans?  That's one sugary treat I'm happy to leave in the jar - they look nice, but for me are just too sweet.  I'd rather have chocolate, thank you.

@kazu so glad you'll be getting your jab this weekend, woo hoo!

@Horizon chaser 1957happy you'll get your jab today . . . another woo hoo!

Presently we are sitting at a lofty temperature of +2C (36F), with a strong wind, and are 1 degree from our daily high of +3.  I'm not sure we'll make it, as there's snow in the forecast, but we must be grateful, as the prairies are very dry.  Every bit of moisture will help, so we'll make the best of it.

I haven't made beef stroganoff in quite a while, and I've never added dill to it;  I might do that next time, just to see what it's like.  For us though, tonight will be a repeat of last night's grilled pork chops, as we made up a few extras.  Leftover potatoes and a small salad will round out our plates.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Clinking the glasses together tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

1 hour ago, kazu said:

“They needed food, clothing & shelter but mostly love.  We showed them that human kindness will outdo hatred any day”

I'll juxtapose that with a quote from the show finale spoken by a man who was originally very skeptical:

Bob:  "My dad asks 'were you ok when you were stranded?'  How do I tell him I wasn't just ok; I was so much better"

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@Himself, Father  I  certainly  believe  you! This  particular  seagull  stayed  on  that spot  for  several  hours  and  persisted  when  we  left  Boston as  well. I  am  sure  he  hated  the  traffic  from  Boston   to  Portland as  much  as  the  humans  do.       Terry

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Thank you Rich and a GOOD but nippy bright spring morning to all the Dailyites. 

Sorry I have been absent. It is for a very sad reason. I had been tending our ailing kitty of 17 years, my darling tuxie boy Houdini. Sadly, he passed peacefully this weekend and to say I am heartbroken is not enough. He was such a light in our life. So special that no one who came to our house did not know and love him. He never really grew up, always having some kitten in his soul. He was also the best "mommy" cat ever. When I did kitten foster, he was the one that washed the kittens and played with them, tolerated their little teeth and swished his tail just so they would chase it. Houdini was my sweet darling boy. It's amazing what a huge hole they leave when they are gone. I figured so many of you have fur babies, you all would understand. 

Houdini1.jpg

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 11

12 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Sorry I have been absent. It is for a very sad reason. I had been tending our ailing kitty of 17 years, my darling tuxie boy Houdini. Sadly, he passed peacefully this weekend and to say I am heartbroken is not enough. He was such a light in our life. So special that no one who came to our house did not know and love him. He never really grew up, always having some kitten in his soul. He was also the best "mommy" cat ever. When I did kitten foster, he was the one that washed the kittens and played with them, tolerated their little teeth and swished his tail just so they would chase it. Houdini was my sweet darling boy. It's amazing what a huge hole they leave when they are gone. I figured so many of you have fur babies, you all would understand. 

Houdini1.jpg

So sad. What a pretty cat he was.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

We were in Portland Maine in the early to mid nineties on the Regent Sun - before the line was sold and run into the ground. I remember watching crates of live lobster being loaded onto the ship.  The next night lobster was on the dinner menu.

We traveled with friends who are great fans of the sea bugs (we are not). Their son, approximately seven at the time ordered the lobster. They were being served whole. The waiters took joy in finding one of the largest lobsters in the kitchen and placing it in front of this seven year old boy who then, amazingly, consumed the whole beast. 

We used to really enjoy Regency Cruise line. Not only did it fit our budget at the time the ports and itineraries were spectacular and the service was as good as we found on our first HAL cruise on the Statendam in the mid nineties- just the ships were a little long in the tooth and the food a bit less.  

I personally really enjoyed cruising on the old ocean liner relics that offered a product so different than today's cookie cutter ships.  So many different cabin configurations and sizes. Choosing a cabin in those days was a real sport that involved deck diagrams and rulers to find the best space and locations. 

Prayers and warm thoughts to all who need them and even also who don’t. 

• Like 22

Good Morning, Happy Thursday Earth Day and Thank You for the Daily.✏️

@cunnorl Early birthday wishes!🎂

@fatcat04 So very sorry for your loss.😥

🚗We used to just take "road trips" before cruising. Flew from CA to Boston, picked up rental car and off to play tourist to several states including New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. Yes to Portland and a friend told me to check out Old Orchard Beach. 

Home Depot has plants 3 for $12.....🌼 a good time for some new landscaping. 😎

🙏 Prayers to all in need.🙏

FB_IMG_1619099585372.jpg

FB_IMG_1619101682596.jpg

images (2).jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

It is supposed to get into the 60s so I should be able to get more pine needled raked up today. I should grill, but we have too many leftovers that need to get used up. 

@fatcat04 - sorry about Houdini's passing but it sounds like you had a great 17 years with him.

Today in 2018, we spent the day exploring Rome. We walked to the Borghese Gallery and toured the stunning artworks. The building itself is a work of art. The park surrounding it is also very nice. 

DSC_0059.thumb.JPG.9e6fd661523a42d8baed75b437b7318d.JPGDSC_0065.thumb.JPG.ba51a276858133afc48014fb104ee37d.JPGDSC_0120.thumb.JPG.f1c379fd42f00d8d047e64ac2821cd23.JPG

I rode the HOHO bus again and spent time around the Coliseum.

DSC_0209.thumb.JPG.c1342bfac11f919b45f81fb1063ce310.JPG1334837845_DSC_0199(2).thumb.JPG.8e0c306600289a1e09f8552bc6925565.JPG1713591090_DSC_0173(2).thumb.JPG.5d862f19e79fa2fd4bea4d91bba99bb9.JPG

We had pizza for dinner at La Scala Via Veneto (https://www.lascalaviaveneto.it/) which was about five blocks from the Hotel Savoy. It was, of course, fantastic! 

We only had a day and a half in Rome which was just enough to scratch the surface - we need to go back for an extended stay.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I think both @Crazy For Cats and @dfish were with me on my 2013 Veendam cruise that visited Portland but I'll post on Earth Day first.  The pictures will come from the same Crystal Symphony cruise my sunrise came from.  Crystal frequently offers no frills volunteer excursions and I've been on several.  They may serve orphanages, affordable housing, food banks or other things and a few are designed around conservation.

The tour in Astoria was to Fort Stevens State Park and the rangers welcomed us with some displays:

IMG_3196.thumb.JPG.c402ce191b627f87a88f2f13b09401d1.JPG

We spent the rest of our time collecting trash from the beach:

IMG_3197.thumb.JPG.fa4ffc2251a53e25f6c1417d5475d2e5.JPG

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Top of the morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. Good morning my sweet sister's,  Roy and Daily contributor's.

I like Jelly Belly beans, especially buttered popcorn.

Today is cool and cloudy. Crossing my fingers the firepit and BBQ grill finally get hooked up today. Our pergola now is "who knows when" due to a coil problem..

Good news! We have friends coming to visit next weekend. Have not seen them since Sept of 2000. We're rounding up the other Cav guys and should have a nice mini reunion. I ordered a Life is Good shirt for Allen that says "Hug Me, I'm Vaccinated" 

Tonight is pork filets, smashed potatoes and spinach. And wine.. Having girls over for Mahjongg tonight. Got the new 2021 card!!

Love, Blessings, Prayers, Peace, and Cheers.

• Like 19

1 minute ago, clueless2 said:

Here's a lighthouse pic from Portland.  Taken in Sept 25 2019.  Last cruise before the pandemic.  Celebrity Summit roundtrip from Cape Liberty NJ to Quebec.

fmNNVpuz5Ax0u3ThnlDCLtN7A6y3X19LnomWVhLdmtzIA-jo2a7bdSrZpXgAlyjvcjJH_bQbZ89Z3q8Z0UFah9R359u6NOrS5V54jP06PkRNHSYUDy8Gy8EL9Rq-5yFVrx_4Gow6K35oLuEOL5-ywXDbVe1h3efZeT_uCqjB16gN1iXQrgSkatdYLds42FFw5tCo9W5xmJ8y5Q_I_KudXF8WHsRY15xkZk0MEG7cKWs1kFTsCYWh_rAliX4bapxCQXXrLOoNRYqI6mt2JLyvES_96hEWn5guwGFBHbRCXVJqTeyD4eZEVDT6swrTavMkENsNOWEOxDfH5Q7sv8wIhsHlfUrC3jAXLTqGMlgr1ixbYXg3HcmXsUkLSh0bpekTUIF75MeSg25w7IyBPxO_dec7rprbHcORpQcCnUqXPsqWgXRjPIS4C7Lz6rgqnGpYRpMW60IuAVn4feN_kJJSp2t---GWcCt6JczUcImEsat5Gm0rGbcKbN1CTxPqk0rqpaRuzVlJafI3OXMjaZHz8v5IX_5Gg_Kdd0o8EhMJQ8Df-TxU5HlQDVN9mLBLEhrnDByB3SToWox2HZqofnlxjuLK10--uWYsiOwjzTgryEKxzJ0gVs27ApzWuA63cyVpTFu4rR2xONvjnAJaTP_IWsw5vQH4RCrOwCE92NcZ24uhMk1c2DenhCJ4M3vYLGoxggO8w7v0ytZY4cSUs1--aJQn=w1300-h975-no?authuser=0

Welcome to the Daily.

Roy

• Like 10

1 hour ago, fatcat04 said:

Houdini1.jpg

So very sorry about the loss of Houdini.  He was such a handsome boy.  Yes, our fur babies become such a big part of our lives so that when they cross the Rainbow Bridge  🌈   it does leave a big hole.  I hope your memories of Houdini will be a comfort to you.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1