The Daily for Sunday Apr 25, 2021

richwmn

8 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

We  have  had  appliance  curses  here in  spades. The  dishwasher  was  first,leaking  all  over  the  floor. This  was  followed  by the  icemaker  on  the  fairly  new  refrigerator leaking  as  well. We  await  a  repair  of  that  and  for  a  plumber  to  be  able  to  hook  up  a  new  dishwasher.  I  spoke  to  the  microwave  the  other  day  when  it  started  to  make  odd  groaning  noises. Time  will  tell  if  that  is  the  third  thing to  go!    

Oh, my gosh.  I am sorry about the appliance curse reaching you.  Hopefully, the microwave shapes up and the other repairs are quick and cheap.  I still need to have the icemaker hooked up on my new refrigerator.  My handyman had surgery, so I am waiting until he is fully recovered.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Long ago I lived a short distance from what is now the pier in Colon where the ship docks. What pictures I had were lost in moves a long time ago.

Christobal is on one side of the Canal and was part of the Canal Zone, it is now a section of Colon, which was the Panamanian city on the other side of the Canal Entrance.

When Rich was at Ft. Sherman (I think), I was on the south side of the canal and lived in Balboa for a while then Panama City.  Most of my photos from my three cruises to the Panama Canal are mostly of the Pacific entrance since I spent so much time there.  In the 60's, I spent hours of my free time at the various locks watching the ships go through.  Never dreamed I would, one day, get to be on one of the ships.

• Like 15

46 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Today's a special day, because it's DH's 80th birthday.  There are lots of surprises in store for him throughout the day, beginning with "Lawn Letters" proclaiming his birthday for all to see.  I've always done something special for his "significant" birthdays, from surprise brunches to a 3 hour champagne limousine ride, to a special concert, etc., but it's been made much more difficult with this darn pandemic.  Creativity prevails, however, so there are lots of things that will happen as the day progresses.

We love taco salad - but without the avocado (blech) -

Gerry  

Happy new decade to your DH!  Hope it is filled with laughter, love, great health & lots of cruises!

p.s. I will gladly take your avocado!

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

We  have  had  appliance  curses  here in  spades. The  dishwasher  was  first,leaking  all  over  the  floor. This  was  followed  by the  icemaker  on  the  fairly  new  refrigerator leaking  as  well. We  await  a  repair  of  that  and  for  a  plumber  to  be  able  to  hook  up  a  new  dishwasher.  I  spoke  to  the  microwave  the  other  day  when  it  started  to  make  odd  groaning  noises. Time  will  tell  if  that  is  the  third  thing to  go!               Terry

May your curse be short lived and not too expensive. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich and Daily-ites. Thank you to all our contributors. Sunday blessings to all and special prayers to Roy at the top of our list.

The pot roast was a hit last night. May make leftovers or today's taco salad variation. 

I agree that Hitchcock movies were creepy. I was young when the movie "Birds" came out. I freaked out for a few weeks after whenever I saw birds fly over our house. What was the movie with the shower scene? I did not like scary movies!

Looks to be a beautiful day here. Last night we sat on the patio at dusk with all of our candles lit, music playing and birds (the friendly kind!) at the feeders. 

Happy Birthday to Gerry's hubby.

Prayers and Cheers 

image.png

• Like 13

48 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

When Rich was at Ft. Sherman (I think),

I actually lived in Colón, about 12 blocks from the cruise terminal. The house in black on the left, the cruise terminal is the big building on the right.

Google maps lists the distance as 1.1 km

45CalleEscobal.thumb.png.8aa0510f897cdc1ee7fab28105fbba7e.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Rich and Daily-ites. Thank you to all our contributors. Sunday blessings to all and special prayers to Roy at the top of our list.

The pot roast was a hit last night. May make leftovers or today's taco salad variation. 

I agree that Hitchcock movies were creepy. I was young when the movie "Birds" came out. I freaked out for a few weeks after whenever I saw birds fly over our house. What was the movie with the shower scene? I did not like scary movies!

Looks to be a beautiful day here. Last night we sat on the patio at dusk with all of our candles lit, music playing and birds (the friendly kind!) at the feeders. 

Happy Birthday to Gerry's hubby.

Prayers and Cheers 

image.png

That movie was "Psycho" and made me nervous for weeks!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!   Our DDIL and DS are a prime example of what can happen when East meets West! I've had my DNA analyzed, and came up with some interesting information.  Love the look of penguins, but have only seen them in the zoo . . . so far.   We've been to Cristobal on the Coral Princess, but it was before digital photos, so I'd have to hunt them down.

Today's a special day, because it's DH's 80th birthday.  There are lots of surprises in store for him throughout the day, beginning with "Lawn Letters" proclaiming his birthday for all to see.  I've always done something special for his "significant" birthdays, from surprise brunches to a 3 hour champagne limousine ride, to a special concert, etc., but it's been made much more difficult with this darn pandemic.  Creativity prevails, however, so there are lots of things that will happen as the day progresses.

We love taco salad - but without the avocado (blech) - but  there's a surprise dinner happening today that I won't be cooking.  I know it'll be great though, because the chef is well known to us.  And wine.

Remembering Anzac Day today and all who lost their lives.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses tonight (perhaps a few times) to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

Happy birthday to your dh. Pictures later of the lawn letters? For my 50th our girls parked 50 paper flamingoes on our front lawn. 

• Like 12

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the Daily and all who contribute.

We have entered the Panama Canal from the Caribbean twice, but can't find any pictures of San Cristobal.

In 2014, we went to Antarctica on an expedition ship with Quark Expeditions.  Following are a few of our "many" penguin pictures.

This was a Chinstrap penguin on Aitcho Island -- our first landing after crossing the Drake Passage.

DSC00353.thumb.jpg.56ce810113c93950dc2e36067b42f19b.jpg

Cuverville Island is home to the largest Gentoo penguin colony on the Antarctic Peninsula.  (Our ship "Sea Spirit" in background.)

DSCF0422.thumb.jpg.1fd3fa28062a33271bacb24974216b34.jpg

They were quite interested in the snowshoes the team had laid out for us.  (What size do you wear, Dear? 😉)

DSC00651.thumb.jpg.df1fa6ecdfa9f116aef45d71b493619b.jpg

This is a video of DH's encounter with one.

In 2010, we did a tour of Australia and New Zealand and here is a photo of ANZAC Hill memorial just outside Alice Springs.

24.thumb.jpg.ef4d05dd5cd96b0494e92d6e2c90bb1f.jpg

• Like 25

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

from vesselfinder.com

The current position of ROTTERDAM is at Adriatic Sea (coordinates 45.35329 N / 12.40545 E) reported 0 min ago by AIS. The vessel is en route to the port of Trieste, Italy, sailing at a speed of 6.7 knots and expected to arrive there on Apr 27, 12:00.

The vessel ROTTERDAM (IMO: 9837470, MMSI 247434300) is a Passenger (Cruise) Ship built in 2021 and currently sailing under the flag of Italy.

Course / Speed 338.4° / 6.7 kn
Current draught 7.8 m
Navigation Status Moored
Position received 0 min ago i
IMO / MMSI 9837470 / 247434300
Callsign ITP0253
Flag Italy
Length / Beam 296 / 38 m

Rich:  Are these the "Sea Trials?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Interesting group of days.  The only penguins we've seen are in a zoo.  Glad they've gotten DNA where it is.  I really do not like the Hitchcock quote.  We have taco salad often, one of our favorites.  So happy the Rotterdam is on the move.

Major prayers for our care list.  And happy toasts for our celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Waikiki Punch:

Ingredients
Ice cubes
1-ounce dark rum
1-ounce guava juice
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 orange, juiced
1 teaspoon sugar
Dash grenadine
1 maraschino cherry, for garnish

Directions
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, add all ingredients, and shake well. Strain into a highball glass and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 8.31.05 AM.png

This Drink sounds nice and sweet.  I am sure it has a good punch to it.  When I have been to Honolulu, every thing was served with a slice of pineapple including the drinks.

• Like 4

Good morning, all! It will be awhile before I see where east meets west again. Luckily, we got to see penguins in Antarctica just before the world shut down. Like @dfishwe had planned to walk to Gypsy Cove in Stanley, but the weather had other plans and it was too rough to tender ashore. The quote is amusing, as Hitchcock so often is. Taco salad is always welcome, but not in this permanent drizzle. We are having chilli shepherds pie tonight.

Todays port is another that I’m waiting for 2023 to see, so any and all pictures are appreciated.

@kazucongratulations on your first jab! It is a relief, isn’t it? @ger_77happy 80th to your DH. Even though you can’t celebrate the way you’d like, it still sounds like a fun day ahead of you! @mamaofamipassing up the birthday celebration sounds like the wisest choice. I hope you can get your jab soon!

Happy Sunday, with fond thoughts of sea days on a BHB!

C1D68AD3-BED4-437E-A377-83DBDC17CF00.thumb.jpeg.233009176dc923fa558b8ae2a6243712.jpeg

• Like 20

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!   Our DDIL and DS are a prime example of what can happen when East meets West! I've had my DNA analyzed, and came up with some interesting information.  Love the look of penguins, but have only seen them in the zoo . . . so far.   We've been to Cristobal on the Coral Princess, but it was before digital photos, so I'd have to hunt them down.

We love taco salad - but without the avocado (blech) - but  there's a surprise dinner happening today that I won't be cooking.  I know it'll be great though, because the chef is well known to us.  And wine.

Remembering Anzac Day today and all who lost their lives.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses tonight (perhaps a few times) to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry  

Happy Birthday to your DH.  He  is 20 months youger than myself.

• Like 6

I recently posted several pictures of our canal transit and Lake Gatun, but none of our approach towards Cristobal. I managed to find a couple. 

I believe Cristobal is on the right, Colon is near the center and the Colon Container and Manzanillo International Terminals are towards the left -

1952871085_DSC_0535(2).thumb.JPG.82e5716bb98950259f03037a1e815151.JPG

Container docks at Cristobal -

1238993146_DSC_0551(3).thumb.JPG.15c6f30a86a0fc06fac4afdaa1d1361e.JPG252978731_DSC_0555(3).thumb.JPG.0f8701b7777dd18f9b0924d3fd8e6f0a.JPG

I think the white building at the tip of the jetty is a Panama Canal office. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

We  have  had  appliance  curses  here in  spades

YIKES.  Have you ever had curses.  I hope this is the end of it for you 🤞 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

That movie was "Psycho" and made me nervous for weeks!

Tony Perkins made that movie and then was starring in the Broadway show "Green Willow" when the movie was released.  After the cast of "Willow" saw the movie it changed the whole dynamic of that show and probably shortened its Broadway run. I had a friend in GW and she talked about Tony and the movie and the show for years.

Susan

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Today's a special day, because it's DH's 80th birthday.

How nice that you always do something special for Maurice’s milestone birthdays 👍 Wishing him a very happy birthday and hoping you both enjoy the day 🥳 🎂 

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Its a gray and rainy day here and we’ve been invited to a 90th birthday party.  It was supposed to be outside but it looks like the weather will put it inside. Since NJ has so many variants and is leading the US in deaths right now, I’ve decided Incant go because I’m not vaccinated. DH plans to make a short appearance and that’s it. We’re exercising an abundance of caution.

It’s always so sad and disappointing to have to miss special occasions like this birthday, Carol, but I honestly think you made the right and very wise decision.

• Like 13

Good morning all!

More rain today, but the yard needs it. 

DH and I did the DNA for Ancestry -- interesting and fun to find out more about our roots.  East meets west made me think of Istanbul, I have great memories of that port and hope to make more in the future.  So far I have only seen penguins at the zoo, but  hope to see lots of them when we take the Antarctic cruise in 2023. (somehow my mind always goes to cruises)  😄

No surprise that Alfred Hitchcock isn't popular here 😉  His humor is different to say the least.  DH and I have actually been watching his old shows since Covid started.  A friend clued me in to a TV station that shows only programs from the 50's and 60's.  His shows always had the moral that crime doesn't pay, and had a twist in the plot. IMO his TV shows were better than his movies.   We've also been watching Twilight Zone on that station.

Taco salad sounds really good -- but minus the avocado please -- strange, I see it in the photo but not the recipe, but I may have missed that.

@ger_77happy birthday to your DH! 

• Like 14

Good morning.  

This is just a quick post of pictures entering the Panama Canal from the Atlantic side.  I posted my pictures of Cristobal when the port was Gatun Lake, but these are some of the approach to the Gatun Locks and just after entering the first lock.  

The remnants of the French attempt at creating a canal without locks.  This is the one repeat picture.

DSC01132.thumb.JPG.ccd755b3981f10d547c86dae2f92754d.JPG

Looking from the stern of the Rotterdam in 2020 at the ships approaching the Gatun Locks.

DSC08885.thumb.JPG.6ac6ae7f15941be13f98d01aeb6b5586.JPG

In 2016 as the Veendam approached the locks.DSC01180.thumb.JPG.57a7136ed39e330692ef81ed1731e4e5.JPG

Looking back as the Coral Princess was following the Veendam into the locks.  You can see the gates for the new locks on the right.DSC01195.thumb.JPG.4cb6a0ef1702941f7b592f47f19c38db.JPG

The little swing bridge that was used when the gates to the locks were closed.. This was before the new bridge was completed and the little bridge was removed.

DSC01197.thumb.JPG.5482087d24c7b95bf57260e7389fb426.JPG

In 2020 as the Rotterdam was beginning to enter the locks.

DSC08877.thumb.JPG.5aa527937b8b592f44eab8ef0331a9da.JPG

DSC08878.thumb.JPG.2381073f7574d20b872a062fc84e80f8.JPG

DSC08884.thumb.JPG.524d5040ac0a2dbc92f058bda4ac4715.JPG

Looking from the stern of the Rotterdam at the new bridge and ships approaching the Gatun Locks.  You can see the cranes at the Colon dock, and barely make out Christobal.

DSC08885.thumb.JPG.6ac6ae7f15941be13f98d01aeb6b5586.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24