CDC Mask Guidance for Outdoors to be relaxed and announced tomorrow

On 4/27/2021 at 7:25 PM, harkinmr said:

Geez.  Maybe that was because there was not a highly deadly disease that might just kill Grandma.  Maybe because it is a FACT that COVID-19 is highly infectious and we shouldn't just willy nilly pass it along to Grandma.  Seriously.  What DON'T you people get about what has been going on over the last year.  Ignorance is bliss I guess. 

I know. I'm really saddened by the responses I've been reading on this thread. It sounds like these people live on another planet where there is no global pandemic. I just do not understand the rational for not protecting themselves and their loved ones. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 3:07 PM, Keksie said:

No but we were not told that hugging Grandma would kill her.  We were not told for over a year that we are contagious and will make others sick.  When I was a child you just washed up after being outside or using the bathroom and it was just something you did.  No big explanation about germs or getting sick.  We drank out of the garden hoses, ate our fair share of dirt and unwashed wild berries and mom was far more concerned about the dirt on our shoes then the dirt on our hands.  Mom was not wiping us down all the time with sanitizer just spit on her finger to get smudges off our faces. 

I understand what you are saying and my childhood was very much the same as what you have described. But........last time I looked back at my childhood, the world was not in the middle of a pandemic that was killing millions of people. Thank goodness for that but what we are dealing with now is not like the times of our childhoods.

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Sorry for the loss of your brother. You and your family are very lucky not to have contracted the virus. Be thankful for that.

Needless to say....Oh, and luck has nothing whatever to do with it...if it was luck what would be the use of protocols?  Logic.

Edited by BecciBoo

37 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I know. I'm really saddened by the responses I've been reading on this thread. It sounds like these people live on another planet where there is no global pandemic. I just do not understand the rational for not protecting themselves and their loved ones. 

The rational is that it did not protect at all...hence the millions you mention and my brother as well.

23 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I understand what you are saying and my childhood was very much the same as what you have described. But........last time I looked back at my childhood, the world was not in the middle of a pandemic that was killing millions of people. Thank goodness for that but what we are dealing with now is not like the times of our childhoods.

IMO, we're seeing some light around the corner in the States.  The vaccines have made the difference IMO.  The back and forth of lock down and masked to death versus open and mask free is a debate for anther day.  The science has not explained why one or the other has been successful or failures.  The science has also ridiculed those of sound mind with mind boggling positions that I won't bother to repeat.  The virus is not a sentient being.

What we've learned is that those who are at the most risk of death, or severe illness and hospitalization, SHOULD have been the focus of the virus response.  Not everyone of all ages without underlying conditions throughout each state, rural or urban, etc. was at risk of such.  Yes, there are deaths of others outside that group; but such are statistically irrelevant.

If you're worried about Grandma, stay away.  Pretty simple.

That does not require billions of other people to shelter in place.  Protect the at risk.

What we've also learned is to reign in the scientists.  Those responsible for this, regardless of source, are worse than the most historical demons of humanity.

Finally, no it's not the same for this generation as before.  Our younger generations are so frail, fearful and weak.  It used to be sticks and stones would break our bones but names would never hurt us.  Now, OMG, I'm so micro-aggression offended.

We climbed the trees and rode our bikes while they sprayed DDT in our trees to abate the mosquitos.  We sent the same to the subcontinents.  Then the ban.  Guess what ravaged back.  Now, if a mosquito (west nile for example) is identified in a suburb little league field, the call for spraying.

We swam in rivers where the municipal sewers emptied.  We were careful.  🤨  In most of those rivers today, the water is clean enough for recreation and even drinking source.

Our grandparents ate awful, fatty diets with heavy salt.  They drank.  They smoked unfiltered cigarettes that WE ROLLED as kids for them from the tobacco tin can with paper and roller.  They didn't exercise, other than working hard.  They lived into their 80-90's. Us, we have more issues by our 60's regardless of weight, exercise, blood work, pharmaceuticals, medical professionals compared to our grandparents.  Huh?

If we got sick, Vicks on the chest, Father Johns and, if you were real sick (lucky) a hot toddy.  😀

Just saying.

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

The vaccines have made the difference IMO

Seasonality made the difference. Most states saw their declines this spring occur the same week as the declines began in 2020.  That's not to say vaccines aren't a big key. They just prevented a much larger surge this spring.

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

You must be joking. Were you even aware there was a global pandemic?

Obviously people dont need to be the smartest to post on here😷

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

The rational is that it did not protect at all...hence the millions you mention and my brother as well.

The "rationale" I was referring to is folks who allow workers into their homes and no one wears a mask. One person even said their contractors would not have worked for them if they insisted the workers wear masks in their homes. THAT is the risky behavior that does not protect themselves or their loved ones. That is just one example of the risk people have spoken about on this thread that has not been protective of themselves or loved ones. Problem is those people who engage in that risky behavior do not even realize that it is, in fact, risky.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

How very sweet, are you admitting to that or pointing fingers?

Oh trust me, i can point fingers at quite a few posters, but your not one of them.

I am sure ive said some pretty dumb things over the years.

Especially after a glass or 3 of wine😬

Is it beer 30 yet.😁

Btw sorry for your loss

Edited by jonbgd
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

The "rationale" I was referring to is folks who allow workers into their homes and no one wears a mask. One person even said their contractors would not have worked for them if they insisted the workers wear masks in their homes. THAT is the risky behavior that does not protect themselves or their loved ones. That is just one example of the risk people have spoken about on this thread that has not been protective of themselves or loved ones. Problem is those people who engage in that risky behavior do not even realize that it is, in fact, risky.

I had the work done last March and April.  Remember back.  We were told to save the masks for the front line workers.  The positive test numbers were less then even now in my county.  We did socially distance and most of the time I was not even in the room they were working in.  I have no elderly relatives to worry about since I am the oldest in our family now.  I am glad I had the work done then because now if they could work me into their busy schedule the work would cost twice as much.  

21 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

A lot of this is the draconian ways that politicians responded to this. Some of it is silly and dangerous to unalienable rights.  Arresting people surf boarding or in forests with near no one around them.  What is the survival rate? 99% or so. closing down businesses and putting hard working men and women out of the same who toiled to make a success while the government drone who enforced it pats himself/herself on the back.

5 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

Not wearing a mask outdoors when unvaccinated is against CDC guidelines and is risky behavior that does not protect you or your loved ones. Please listen to the experts and follow the CDC guidelines which are based on science and data.

Another excellent post😀

19 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

Just because you didnt feel that you could get covid outdoors doesnt mean that you couldnt. That was very risky behavior which could have resulted in someone getting killed. You still need to wear a mask outdoors when in a crowd. Its important that you trust and follow the science or else we wont beat this virus.

18 minutes ago, florida eagle said:

A lot of this is the draconian ways that politicians responded to this. Some of it is silly and dangerous to unalienable rights.  Arresting people surf boarding or in forests with near no one around them.  What is the survival rate? 99% or so. closing down businesses and putting hard working men and women out of the same who toiled to make a success while the government drone who enforced it pats himself/herself on the back.

17 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

Not wearing a mask outdoors when unvaccinated is against CDC guidelines and is risky behavior that does not protect you or your loved ones. Please listen to the experts and follow the CDC guidelines which are based on science and data.

More of the same broken record, SMH

1 hour ago, At Sea At Peace said:

IMO, we're seeing some light around the corner in the States.  The vaccines have made the difference IMO.  The back and forth of lock down and masked to death versus open and mask free is a debate for anther day.  The science has not explained why one or the other has been successful or failures.  The science has also ridiculed those of sound mind with mind boggling positions that I won't bother to repeat.  The virus is not a sentient being.

What we've learned is that those who are at the most risk of death, or severe illness and hospitalization, SHOULD have been the focus of the virus response.  Not everyone of all ages without underlying conditions throughout each state, rural or urban, etc. was at risk of such.  Yes, there are deaths of others outside that group; but such are statistically irrelevant.

That does not require billions of other people to shelter in place.  Protect the at risk.

What we've also learned is to reign in the scientists.  Those responsible for this, regardless of source, are worse than the most historical demons of humanity.

Finally, no it's not the same for this generation as before.  Our younger generations are so frail, fearful and weak.  It used to be sticks and stones would break our bones but names would never hurt us.  Now, OMG, I'm so micro-aggression offended.

We climbed the trees and rode our bikes while they sprayed DDT in our trees to abate the mosquitos.  We sent the same to the subcontinents.  Then the ban.  Guess what ravaged back.  Now, if a mosquito (west nile for example) is identified in a suburb little league field, the call for spraying.

We swam in rivers where the municipal sewers emptied.  We were careful.  🤨  In most of those rivers today, the water is clean enough for recreation and even drinking source.

Our grandparents ate awful, fatty diets with heavy salt.  They drank.  They smoked unfiltered cigarettes that WE ROLLED as kids for them from the tobacco tin can with paper and roller.  They didn't exercise, other than working hard.  They lived into their 80-90's. Us, we have more issues by our 60's regardless of weight, exercise, blood work, pharmaceuticals, medical professionals compared to our grandparents.  Huh?

If we got sick, Vicks on the chest, Father Johns and, if you were real sick (lucky) a hot toddy.  😀

Just saying.

Vicks Vapor Rub!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Just saying.

Was it your grandparents or great grandparents who survived the 1918 Epidemic that killed 675,000 in a much smaller United States and 50 Million worldwide? Please stop with the good old days nostalgia. We did a lot of stupid things in the good old days and thank god science has solved many medical problems since then

2 minutes ago, Stallion said:

Was it your grandparents or great grandparents who survived the 1918 Epidemic that killed 675,000 in a much smaller United States and 50 Million worldwide? Please stop with the good old days nostalgia. We did a lot of stupid things in the good old days and thank god science has solved many medical problems since then

That is because we left the house instead of playing video games until bedtime.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

yes, why do people not trust and follow science? These experts spend their lives on this topic and use science and data to create these guidelines. Why cant people follow them?

You are a riot tonight!😄😄😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, easy1234 said:

yes, why do people not trust and follow science? These experts spend their lives on this topic and use science and data to create these guidelines. Why cant people follow them?

Wow for a new poster I have to agree with you
Breath of fresh air unlike a bunch of new posters, that have created AE's Instead of using their real accounts, to tell us non vax,  no mask and dont trust the science

Edited by jonbgd
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, easy1234 said:

All the decades of science that we should have followed got thrown out the window for covid. How can us peons trust science when the experts don't trust the science and make up new science?

You realize prior to covid the CDC advised against any kind of mask usage for airborne viruses except for those sick and those at high risk.  Surely that was based on science right?

So why almost literally overnight in late March 2020 was this science no longer any good?

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

Wow for a new poster I have to agree with you
Breath of fresh air unlike a bunch of new posters, that have created AE's Instead of using their real accounts, to tell us non vax,  no mask and dont trust the science

If you only knew........

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

I had the work done last March and April.  Remember back.  We were told to save the masks for the front line workers.  The positive test numbers were less then even now in my county.  We did socially distance and most of the time I was not even in the room they were working in.  I have no elderly relatives to worry about since I am the oldest in our family now.  I am glad I had the work done then because now if they could work me into their busy schedule the work would cost twice as much.  

Yes, I can remember back then and you are correct about the timeline for the work done in your home. At that point, masks were not recommended for the general public.