July start!!

Shakatime

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

If Carnival is in the business of making money, they will require all of their passengers to sign sworn statements that they have received the vaccine. I think it's very risky from a business perspective to go through the trouble of test runs and delay cruising for months, only to risk the chance of a few severe covid cases on their first cruise with unvaccinated passengers.  

Although I don't think it's a big deal to cruise with unvaccinated passengers and think any positive cases should simply be quarantined, it is clear that the CDC is going to be very restrictive and unforgiving of any issues that arise during a cruise.  

I could be wrong and Carnival will waste months doing their test runs and jumping through hoops when all they had to do was require passengers be vaccinated.  It's a simple solution and I believe will only be temporary this year.

I agree. Why waste money on test cruises. It's much simpler/cheaper to have some small check box during booking or check in that asks passengers if they have been vaccinated. It covers their arse and they can tell all the "I won't cruise with unvaccinated/everyone needs to be vaccinated" folks that everyone (or 95%) checked the box and is vaccinated. Problem solved!    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I agree. Why waste money on test cruises. It's much simpler/cheaper to have some small check box during booking or check in that asks passengers if they have been vaccinated. It covers their arse and they can tell all the "I won't cruise with unvaccinated/everyone needs to be vaccinated" folks that everyone (or 95%) checked the box and is vaccinated. Problem solved!    

That's assuming that your assumption about children being exempted from the 5% is true.  If they need to be included,  as many on the boards think, then the only way for over 5% unvaccinated as well as kids can get on board is through the test cruise phase.

I think that Carnival will start out with the CDC proposal and also have some ships going the test cruise route.  This way the unvaccinated that was over 5% will have a cruise to go on.

Your box that needs to be checked will be done when people check in online 30 days prior.  Once that 5% is reached,  the unvaccinated (and children) will be looking for alternatives and the test route cruises will fill that need.

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I don't care about DeSantis or politics at all.  I said that if he continues his crap, then the two ships in Galveston would be the start.

Keep his crap up?  You mean, like helping crews get vaccinated?

Edited by balcony bound
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Keep his crap up?  You mean, like helping crews get vaccinated?

No, the crap regarding a bill possibly slowing down the possibility of ships embarking from FLA to be able to abide by the new CDC rule requiring 95% of cruisers being vaccinated.

I don't care if you're blue, red or purple, I just want to cruise.  Since you're balcony bound, I assume you agree with that statement.  Didn't mean to put down your precious governor.

19 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

No, the crap regarding a bill possibly slowing down the possibility of ships embarking from FLA to be able to abide by the new CDC rule requiring 95% of cruisers being vaccinated.

I don't care if you're blue, red or purple, I just want to cruise.  Since you're balcony bound, I assume you agree with that statement.  Didn't mean to put down your precious governor.

Don't get stuck in negative emotions or opinions of "possibly" when there are factual positive actions in play.  Things are moving in a positive direction.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, balcony bound said:

Don't get stuck in negative emotions or opinions of "possibly" when there are factual positive actions in play.  Things are moving in a positive direction.

Didn't you read where I said "I just want to cruise".  Nobody knows which way Carnival is going to go anyway.  I personally think both ways.   The CDC 95% vaccinated on the first few ships, followed by waiting for test cruises on other ships in the fleet that will then allow unvaccinated adults and unvaccinated kids over the 5% to also be able to cruise.  This way Carnival will not piss off anybody.

9 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

How would you implement this beyond asking 95 out of 100 passengers if they've been vaccinated or showing a cereal box card as proof? 

I don't know what the law is now about lying about your vaccination status or forging the CDC cards, but if there is one, the penalties should be increased. If there is not one, it should be passed immediately.

Sharing your vaccination status should be part of pre-registration. The cruise contract should also include allowing the cruise line to check if the information you provided is correct. And if you don't like that or refuse, you are not getting on the cruise.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I don't know what the law is now about lying about your vaccination status or forging the CDC cards, but if there is one, the penalties should be increased. If there is not one, it should be passed immediately.

Sharing your vaccination status should be part of pre-registration. The cruise contract should also include allowing the cruise line to check if the information you provided is correct. And if you don't like that or refuse, you are not getting on the cruise.

Just curious how serious you truly are about this statement. I know for a fact that only US citizens and people here legally are required to show vaccinations in order to attend public school. If there are children from illegal immigrants, the school is not permitted to ask for vaccinations or question not having vaccinations. Are we going to go after ~15% of the kids in school too? Just asking.

Edited by BoozinCroozin
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Just curious how serious you truly are about this statement. I know for a fact that only US citizens and people here legally are required to show vaccinations in order to attend public school. If there are children from illegal immigrants, the school is not permitted to ask for vaccinations or question not having vaccinations. Are we going to go after ~15% of the kids in school too? Just asking.

Could you provide a citation for schools not being allowed to question the vaccine status of children of illegal immigrants as that makes no sense. It is more likely they are not allowed to ask their immigration status.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It's not just the extra money to do mock cruises it's also more time, more crew. And the biggest thing is risk.

If the other main cruiselines do vaccinated and carnival elected to do unvaccinated and then had a outbreak on one of those cruises imagine the news media outcry and the lawsuits. They would be a target of lawsuits to be the only one doing unvaccinated. Their lawyers would be up in arms if carnival did something like that exposing them to such legal liability. 

We agree it wouldnt happen. Carnival will do what the other lines do, follow the leader. Lol I am not a gambler. If I'm willing to take a bet, I'm very sure. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It's not going to be that simple.  There will be no self-verification.  The cruise lines are going to have to certify vaccinated status to the CDC.  

14 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

It's not going to be that simple.  There will be no self-verification.  The cruise lines are going to have to certify vaccinated status to the CDC.  

Has anything been put out there as to how this will be accomplished?

Tom

14 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

They can only certify what they believe to be true and they must merely "attest" to satisfy the requirement. They can only ask passengers, there is no database to check despite the people who keep ignoring that fact and pretending like there is. At most, they could also ask for the cereal box cards or a Dr's note  So essentially, it is that simple. There is literally no other way. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Didn't mean to put down your precious governor.

Obviously you did mean it. You keep right on doing it even after being called out on how it makes your posts seem biased and less legitimate.  If you had something to say why not leave off the nastiness and rudeness that turns off so many of us. Makes you sound not so smart that you seem unable to post without it. Cant help yourself?

I personally am turned off by rudeness, toward either party's leaders. I was brought up different it seems.  Just a turn off to anything else you have to say. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Has anything been put out there as to how this will be accomplished?

Tom

Nope. Though of course it doesnt stop people posturing and guessing.

Ships started last Thursday getting crew vaccinated. Vista crew will start tomorrow or tuesday and my liberty OTS was in miami this weekend getting crew vaccinated. 

How they will handle pax is unknown. My guess it will be sign here, like health questionnaire or show your card. Give lip service to cdc requirement. Some might cheat, but they did before. 

It's only been announced last thursday lol. They had all of friday, one business day to come up with a plan lol. I get it people are anxious, but one business day later?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

It's not just the extra money to do mock cruises it's also more time, more crew. And the biggest thing is risk.

If the other main cruiselines do vaccinated and carnival elected to do unvaccinated and then had a outbreak on one of those cruises imagine the news media outcry and the lawsuits. They would be a target of lawsuits to be the only one doing unvaccinated. Their lawyers would be up in arms if carnival did something like that exposing them to such legal liability. 

We agree it wouldnt happen. Carnival will do what the other lines do, follow the leader. Lol I am not a gambler. If I'm willing to take a bet, I'm very sure. 

My point is that "vaccinated cruises" and "95% cruises", heck even unvaccinated cruises (for arguments sake) are all essentially the same anyway. They all rely on the same honor system. There is no centralized data base, it dose not exist. Why go through the expense of test cruises? Just add a check box (to CYOA), call your self a "vaccinated only" or "95% vaccinated" cruise, attest to the information provided by passengers (best you can do), and get cruising. These cruises will essentially be test cruises anyway, if you really think about it. It's a shortcut that will have the same outcome, save money, and get cruising resuming the quickest. Everybody wins. The CDC gets to look tough, the cruise lines have plausible deniability by following the recommendations and good optics on compliance/safety, and passengers get to sail as quickly as possible. Win, win, win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I believe will only be temporary this year.

Here we are on day 412 of "15 days to slow the spread" and day 102 of "100 days of wearing a mask". 

At this point, folks would be wise to be skeptical of "temporary restrictions".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Obviously you did mean it. You keep right on doing it even after being called out on how it makes your posts seem biased and less legitimate.  If you had something to say why not leave off the nastiness and rudeness that turns off so many of us. Makes you sound not so smart that you seem unable to post without it. Cant help yourself?

I personally am turned off by rudeness, toward either party's leaders. I was brought up different it seems.  Just a turn off to anything else you have to say. 

I have repeatedly told you and in other posts that I don't care if you are red, blue or purple.  I don't care about politics at all.  I had read about DeSantis pulling something regarding vaccinations and that was "the crap comment I made".  I just want to cruise.

And the bulk of my post dealt with my speculation regarding whether carnival would start off with the 95% 5% CDC ruling with a few ships and then do the test cruises in order to appeal to the unvaccinated kids and adults that don't make the 5% cut.  They would then have an alternative cruise instead of getting a refund.  Plus carnival would appeal to all of the other unvaccinated looking to cruise assuming that NCL and RCI go with the 95% route with their entire fleet.  I have said this speculation multiple times, but you decided to run with the political thing.  I make one off handed comment and you decide to harp on that instead of giving your opinion about the possibility of carnival going two different ways with their fleet. I hope that your Vista cruise gets to go in September.

26 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

My point is that "vaccinated cruises" and "95% cruises", heck even unvaccinated cruises (for arguments sake) are all essentially the same anyway. They all rely on the same honor system. There is no centralized data base, it dose not exist. Why go through the expense of test cruises? Just add a check box (to CYOA), call your self a "vaccinated only" or "95% vaccinated" cruise, attest to the information provided by passengers (best you can do), and get cruising. These cruises will essentially be test cruises anyway, if you really think about it. It's a shortcut that will have the same outcome, save money, and get cruising resuming the quickest. Everybody wins. The CDC gets to look tough, the cruise lines have plausible deniability by following the recommendations and good optics on compliance/safety, and passengers get to sail as quickly as possible. Win, win, win.

That is win, win, win UNLESS Covid rears its ugly results after unvaccinated passengers who lied and nothing was done to verify the truth of their statements cause an out break. At that point it is a huge LOSE, LOSE, LOSE.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ninjacat123 said:

I wonder what the average number of children 11 and under is on Carnival cruises?  Anyone know how to find this out?  My guess would be more than 5% of the passengers.  Thx!

I would imagine the average fluctuates greatly by the time of the year. It would be higher when school is not in session and lower during the school year.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

My point is that "vaccinated cruises" and "95% cruises", heck even unvaccinated cruises (for arguments sake) are all essentially the same anyway.

There is a difference.  The 95% cruise leaves 5% for unvaccination adults and unvaccination kids 11 and under by the time cruising starts.  Here is a link to an article that will back up the theory that you disagree with regarding the kids.

https://www.porthole.com/did-the-cdc-just-kick-kids-off-cruise-lines/

But, if it does come down to an "honor system", we all know that many will lie and just check the box on their online check in.