July start!!

Shakatime

4 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I had an interesting thought last night about the 95% rule.  I know here in my state, they have stated that once we reach 75% vaccination rate, that most of the mandates such as masks, etc. will be lifted.

I wonder if they are saying 95% (which seems a very strange number indeed, why 95% and not 100%), is to "compensate" just for the fact that they KNOW a certain percentage of people could potentially fake their vaccination cards.

From what I have been seeing all over the place at 75% seems to be some kind of magic number,  so maybe the are figuring a 20% fudge factor for cheaters.

Just a thought. LOL

And one more thing too, one of the article links I saw posted here said vaccination AND rapid Covid test before boarding.  This is like a "double" check, so even those that are fibbing will hopefully get stopped if they have it and test positive.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I  not sure anyone is saying that. They seem to be saying that's the earliest possible date. It's about a 3 month lead time they estimate to resume. Many posters here have said oh I'm august, oh I'm sept or oct. Up to today there didnt seem to be any path to cruise before nov 1st but the cdc gave some ground. This is a good thing. Positive. 

Along the same lines as your comment, it will likely take a long time before Carnival (or any larger cruise line) to have every ship sailing again. So while ships will hopefully resume sailing from US ports this Summer, I anticipate a lot of people will be disappointed when they find out their cruise is cancelled because the ship they are booked on hasn’t resumed sailing yet. I would imagine MG would be one of the first, if not the very first ship Carnival resumes operations with in the US. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Along the same lines as your comment, it will likely take a long time before Carnival (or any larger cruise line) to have every ship sailing again. So while ships will hopefully resume sailing from US ports this Summer, I anticipate a lot of people will be disappointed when they find out their cruise is cancelled because the ship they are booked on hasn’t resumed sailing yet. I would imagine MG would be one of the first, if not the very first ship Carnival resumes operations with in the US. 

Vista and another ship are supposed to dock in Galveston tomorrow and stay for start up. I'm hoping. I'm booked vista sept.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wemjam said:

I had an interesting thought last night about the 95% rule.  I know here my state, they have stated that once we reach 75% vaccination rate, that most of the mandates such as masks, etc. will be lifted.

I wonder if they are saying 95% (which seems a very strange number indeed, why 95% and not 100%), is to "compensate" just for the fact that they KNOW a certain percentage of people could potentially fake their vaccination cards.

From what I have been seeing all over the place at 75% seems to be some kind of magic number,  so maybe the are figuring a 20% fudge factor for cheaters.

Just a thought. LOL

Kids can't get vaccines. Anyone who thinks the 5% includes kids (who are ineligible by law) are kidding themselves and deluding themselves if they think kids will be excluded from cruising. Families generally spend more on vacation than singles or couples so alienating this entire market would be fiscally imprudent. I think the 5% is for medical/religious exemptions and maybe a few percent for the others that slide through. 

1 hour ago, dallasdan said:

What about a vaccinated individual who is exhibiting signs of sickness prior to boarding and when tested they test positive.  Should they be denied boarding or thrown overboard.

Simple: test positive, don't cruise. Their ship, their rules. I tested "positive" 10 days after self-isolation, and my Dr said that was because I was still carrying some inert DNA from the Sars-CoV-2 virus in my system, although I was neither sick nor contagious. Still, at that point I would have been denied boarding. (although at the time my Dr did write me a letter showing I'd recently recovered from Covid-19 and was cleared to travel-I also got a similar letter from the local health department, so had I needed to travel, I could have used these letters, and it's my understanding some cruise lines will honor that as proof to sail) But it's ultimately the cruise line's decision to deny sick people boarding-just as it's always been.

Edited by DCGuy64

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Kids can't get vaccines. Anyone who thinks the 5% includes kids (who are ineligible by law) are kidding themselves and deluding themselves if they think kids will be excluded from cruising. Families generally spend more on vacation than singles or couples so alienating this entire market would be fiscally imprudent. I think the 5% is for medical/religious exemptions and maybe a few percent for the others that slide through. 

The 12 to 16 age group could get approved any day. The study is done, just waiting for emergency approval. So it's possible they could get vaccinated and board. 

I agree the 5% could be anything. A slush fund for those who use fake cards? Who knows.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 3

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Simple: test positive, don't cruise. Their ship, their rules. I tested "positive" 10 days after self-isolation, and my Dr said that was because I was still carrying some inert DNA from the Sars-CoV-2 virus in my system, although I was neither sick nor contagious. Still, at that point I would have been denied boarding. (although at the time my Dr did write me a letter showing I'd recently recovered from Covid-19 and was cleared to travel-I also got a similar letter from the local health department, so had I needed to travel, I could have used these letters, and its my understanding some cruise lines will honor that as proof to sail) But it's ultimately the cruise line's decision to deny sick people boarding-just as it's always been.

I just hope you can appreciate the irony in this post.  

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

The 12 to 16 age group could get approved any day. The study is done, just waiting for emergency approval. So it's possible they could get vaccinated and board. 

I agree the 5% could be anything. A slush fund for those who use fake cards? Who knows.

I share your confidence that they will be approved by summer for 12-16 but that still leaves the 6-12 group. I suspect they will be approved by fall. My hope is both time frames were under promised and that they will over deliver and happen sooner. 

5 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

So you think it's 95% of adults need to be vaccinated and the cruise line can let all of the unvaccinated kids on they want? That's not how I read it. If they want to allow more than 5% of the ship to be kids I think they need to cancel a couple more months and go through the test cruise process.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I just hope you can appreciate the irony in this post.  

No irony at all. It's simple, if you test positive and can't show proof it's from a recently recovered bout of Covid-19, you don't cruise. I was answering another poster's comment about what would happen if a person showed both signs of sickness AND tested positive. I could theoretically have tested positive but not shown signs of sickness, which was part of the example I was given, and could have boarded. (provided, of course, that my Dr's letter would have sufficed) I guess I don't see the irony you do.

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

A simple but plausible explanation: the CDC told the industry "you can't sail without 100% of passengers being vaccinated" and Richard Fain, Frank del Rio, and Arnold Donald said "we can't guarantee 100%, how about 95%?"

LOL (but potentially true, right?) 😁

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I think you are the one kidding and deluding yourself. I have read the latest CDC guidelines and they have covered them extensively on local news channels in Florida where I live. I have not read or heard a thing even implying kids would be allowed to cruise without being vaccinated. 

• Like 2

Just now, Saint Greg said:

So you think it's 95% of adults need to be vaccinated and the cruise line can let all of the unvaccinated kids on they want? That's not how I read it. If they want to allow more than 5% of the ship to be kids I think they need to cancel a couple more months and go through the test cruise process.

Yes. How can kids be included if they can't legally get vaccinated. It makes no logical sense. They may be part of the 5% but I don't for a second think they will be excluded and the lines alienate families and their spend. 

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Yes. How can kids be included if they can't legally get vaccinated. It makes no logical sense. They may be part of the 5% but I don't for a second think they will be excluded and the lines alienate families and their spend. 

I don't think the CDC cares. Their order says 95% of passengers. If Carnival wants kids included they have to cancel the summer and go through the test cruise process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dallasdan said:

What about a vaccinated individual who is exhibiting signs of sickness prior to boarding and when tested they test positive.  Should they be denied boarding or thrown overboard.

Definitely denied boarding if they test positive before hand, LOL- what kind of question is that even, ha ha. After boarding then for light cases or no symptoms confined to cabin, more serious cases offloaded at nearest port for medical care. 

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

I don't think the CDC cares. Their order says 95% of passengers. If Carnival wants kids included they have to cancel the summer and go through the test cruise process.

I guess we'll see who is right in the end. It's all speculation at this point anyway but common sense usually prevails in the end. A lot here thought vaccines would be 100% required and there would be some super secret database and there would absolutely be vaccine passports. Many were absolutely sure of it and pontificated on and on with bluster and smugness. I think this issue is similar with many speaking in absolutes when in fact it's all speculation/opinion at this point. 

Just now, cruisingguy007 said:

I guess we'll see who is right in the end. It's all speculation at this point anyway but common sense usually prevails in the end. A lot here thought vaccines would be 100% required and there would be some super secret database and there would absolutely be vaccine passports. Many were absolutely sure of it and pontificated on and on with bluster and smugness. I think this issue is similar with many speaking in absolutes when in fact it's all speculation/opinion at this point. 

It may be speculation as to which route carnival will take but what the CDC said "95% of passengers" is not speculation.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It may be speculation as to which route carnival will take but what the CDC said "95% of passengers" is not speculation.

You're saying the 95% includes kids and think Carnival will be telling paid vaccinated passengers that they have to leave their kids behind or not cruise and I'm saying that isn't going to happen. So yes, it is speculation. We'll see who is right when cruising actually resumes.  

7 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

You're saying the 95% includes kids and think Carnival will be telling paid vaccinated passengers that they have to leave their kids behind or not cruise and I'm saying that isn't going to happen. So yes, it is speculation. We'll see who is right when cruising actually resumes.  

The 95% number comes from the CDC not Carnival. And yes it is for all passengers. So far Carnival has been telling all passengers they can't cruise. I don't know which route they will take in the future. I just hope they take one that allows my August cruise to sail. 

Edited by Saint Greg

Posted 22 minutes ago

2 hours ago, dallasdan said:

Definitely denied boarding if they test positive before hand, LOL- what kind of question is that even, ha ha. After boarding then for light cases or no symptoms confined to cabin, more serious cases offloaded at nearest port for medical care.

• Have 'em keel hauled from bow to stern.
  • Like 1

Just now, Saint Greg said:

Right now they're telling all passengers they can't cruise. I don't know which route Carnival will take. I just hope they take one that allows my August cruise to sail. 

I hope you get to cruise also and have a great trip. Look forward to reading about it! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

Families who have children under age 16 and cruises booked this year should get a cash refund.  That will solve the unvaccinated problem if Carnival chooses to go the route of 95% vaccinated cruises.

The people that seem to keep pushing the anti kids agenda are usually single cruisers or couples. Maybe they should ban old people over 70 from cruises since that will solve the majority of the medical emergencies problems? These families paid for their vacation just like everyone else. They don't need anyone speaking for them to cancel their vacations. This irrational fear of kids is crazy and selfish.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The people that seem to keep pushing the anti kids agenda are usually single cruisers or couples. Maybe they should ban old people over 70 from cruises since that will solve the majority of the medical emergencies problems? These families paid for their vacation just like everyone else. They don't need anyone speaking for them to cancel their vacations. This irrational fear of kids is crazy and selfish.

There is no irrational fear of children. There is a fear that unvaccinated children could bring covid onto the ship.  They can and do pass this virus to others as evidenced by the continued positives at my son's school.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, trvlgirlmq said:

There is no irrational fear of children. There is a fear that unvaccinated children could bring covid onto the ship.  They can and do pass this virus to others as evidenced by the continued positives at my son's school.

My nephew had it in February. And my sister had it the same week. Maybe she gave it to him but odds are he picked it up at school and gave it to her. He had no symptoms but she was really sick for a week. Fortunately both are fine now. They can't get vaccinated until next month.

• Like 1