July start!!

Shakatime

Since there are strict passenger limits along with the 95% vaccination requirement, it would seem they are going to want more adults since they make so much more money with adults. I can see them making exceptions for special accommodations that sleep more than 2 and are specially designed for families. I would think those passengers with families might get first consideration since otherwise they paid for an extended room which can not be fully utilized

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The people that seem to keep pushing the anti kids agenda are usually single cruisers or couples. Maybe they should ban old people over 70 from cruises since that will solve the majority of the medical emergencies problems? These families paid for their vacation just like everyone else. They don't need anyone speaking for them to cancel their vacations. This irrational fear of kids is crazy and selfish.

I have no fear of kids.  I have unvaccinated adult kids and grandchildren.  I have no fear of them.  However, if the only way cruises can happen this summer is with a vaccination requirement, then it's reasonable to let the people who are vaccinated cruise.  Why would anyone with children have a problem with waiting to cruise until their child can be vaccinated or cruising opens up to everyone?  Is it the attitude that if the unvaccinated can't cruise, nobody should?  I don't get it.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

Carnival,

If we have to wear a mask on a vaccinated cruise I'm not gonna be happy and will probably just wait it out. 

Thanks.

I'd say masks are almost a for sure thing into next year. Cdc thinks so and whatever they think will probably be imposed on cruisers.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'd say masks are almost a for sure thing into next year. Cdc thinks so and whatever they think will probably be imposed on cruisers.

Personally, I think a mask mandate for vaccinated people is ridiculous.  I had to put one on to go to Target today, even though I am not giving anyone covid.  I would rather have to show my vaccination card than wear those stupid masks.  My hope is that a vaccinated cruise will eliminate the mask requirement, but that would be too good to be true since there are those who insist that masks are needed.  In the future, I think it will be determined that the masks did nothing. 

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Simple: test positive, don't cruise. Their ship, their rules. I tested "positive" 10 days after self-isolation, and my Dr said that was because I was still carrying some inert DNA from the Sars-CoV-2 virus in my system, although I was neither sick nor contagious. Still, at that point I would have been denied boarding. (although at the time my Dr did write me a letter showing I'd recently recovered from Covid-19 and was cleared to travel-I also got a similar letter from the local health department, so had I needed to travel, I could have used these letters, and it's my understanding some cruise lines will honor that as proof to sail) But it's ultimately the cruise line's decision to deny sick people boarding-just as it's always been.

Don't be surprised you tested positive.  You can test positive for months after getting over it.

1 minute ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Don't be surprised you tested positive.  You can test positive for months after getting over it.

Yes, in extremely rare cases that the CDC and other experts barely mention due to how rare they are, yes.

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Personally, I think a mask mandate for vaccinated people is ridiculous.

Agreed. I'm fully vaccinated and soon will have to return to in-person office work. Can you believe that Washington, DC STILL requires people to wear masks OUTSIDE ON THE STREET? Ridiculous. Even the CDC says it isn't necessary, but they do it anyway. Mind you, it's because DC is fairly densely populated, but in a classic case of government "one size fits all" thinking, the rule covers every inch of the District, even in small pockets where I work where, due to Covid, the streets are empty. Government is the cause of every problem, I swear to God. (yes, I'm speaking hyperbolically, obvs)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

"Get vaccinated so you can still wear around a face diaper everyone" - CDC

what a joke.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

I agree... that's all it is is wishful thinking.  As far as the vaccine, I have the first dose in me, but won't take the 2nd.  My daughter is an ICU nurse and has seen nasty side effects from the vaccine, we know 2 healthy people who received the vaccine and ended up dying within less than a week.  We also know a person who lost their pregnancy right after they received the vaccine.  While I can't specifically tie each of these situations to directly blame the vaccine, there's enough there for me to warrant pausing and letting this play out.

There's a couple of things that don't make sense.  First, the 1st dose of the pfizer vaccine has been shown to be about 75% effective....   That's roughly the same effectiveness as the J&J vaccine which only requires 1 shot.  I don't understand why 2 people with the same immunity levels would be treated differently.  Secondly, I'm actually MORE protected than those who are fully vaccinated and did not get the virus because I've had the 1st shot and the virus.  Studies have shown that those having the virus have more immunity to the mutated strains than those who just received the vaccination as well as those having 1 shot who have had the virus have 7x the protection than 1 shot alone.

All in all, I'm taking my chances on re-infection as opposed to the vaccine.  There's reports of several other vaccines being developed right now as well as theraputics that expect to be available by the end of the year, including a pill.  Not to mention several medicines that are cheap and widely available and work but aren't being allowed to be used.  There's also a nasal spray that's been developed that I believe is going through trials right now.

I understand how you feel about the second shot after having COVID and the first dose.  I had COVID early on and my first vaccine dose was just a sore arm and headache.  The second dose produced very severe side effects.  Hindsight, I wouldn't have done the second dose.  I try to protect another loved one by being as bullet proof as possible but it was rough. I'm not sure I could be talked into a booster under any circumstances.  I will consider it when faced with it, but it worries me and I'd like to see some alternatives.

I vaccinated to get back to something"normal"  protect loved ones, and obviously, cruising (my happy place).  It's all hard choices.  I respect everyone's choices and feel badly that we have to make these decisions.  I wish we could all be a little kinder about the situation, not everyone has the same circumstances.

• Like 2

How is any cruise line going to determine the cut off for the 5%.  Regardless if it includes children, are they going to stop you at the port if you are in the 6%?  Or is it whoever checks in first online gets on the ship.  Do Diamond or Platinum have priority?  I think it should either be 100% or no mandate.  If it is 95% or 100% will they still test everyone prior to boarding.  July can't get here fast enough.

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I don't think the CDC cares. Their order says 95% of passengers. If Carnival wants kids included they have to cancel the summer and go through the test cruise process.

Right 95% means 95%. It does not say 95% of those eligible. They could have easily said that if that is what they meant.

With vaccine in people arms ,availability of vaccines coupled with people who have recovered  is a game changer. July start ok , I’m sure perhaps start but back to normal it will be longer. Meanwhile today’s rules will be different by aug and September. Remember it was just 3 or so weeks ago some within gov agencies were talking wearing multiple masks .. 

it’s evolving fast ... and thank god it is 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trvlgirlmq said:

There is no irrational fear of children. There is a fear that unvaccinated children could bring covid onto the ship.  They can and do pass this virus to others as evidenced by the continued positives at my son's school.

So could any of the other passengers and crew. If you're vaccinated, your odds are good and remain the same even with children aboard. I'd imagine if people were insisting others cruise without their spouse/significant other/cruising partner etc people wouldn't be so quick to accept others deciding for them. Children aren't pets, I doubt Carnival is going to be splitting up families or forcing parents to leave their kids behind. I just don't see it plus kids have sacrificed enough already. They deserve a vacation also. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Children aren't pets, I doubt Carnival is going to be splitting up families or forcing parents to leave their kids behind. I just don't see it plus kids have sacrificed enough already. They deserve a vacation also. 

Oh so now you got something against pets?

(jk above, of course, but seriously very nice what you said about kids)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dallasdan said:

How is any cruise line going to determine the cut off for the 5%.  Regardless if it includes children, are they going to stop you at the port if you are in the 6%?  Or is it whoever checks in first online gets on the ship.  Do Diamond or Platinum have priority?  I think it should either be 100% or no mandate.  If it is 95% or 100% will they still test everyone prior to boarding.  July can't get here fast enough.

Exactly! Splitting up families? Mom can go but dad and kids have to stay behind? Hunger games style? A raffle/drawing? As I said, some haven't thought this through but are so sure it's going to be this or that. Many were already completely wrong with their last "absolutes" predictions. It's all speculation and changing rapidly.   

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

You're saying the 95% includes kids and think Carnival will be telling paid vaccinated passengers that they have to leave their kids behind or not cruise and I'm saying that isn't going to happen. So yes, it is speculation. We'll see who is right when cruising actually resumes.  

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

The 95% number comes from the CDC not Carnival. And yes it is for all passengers. So far Carnival has been telling all passengers they can't cruise. I don't know which route they will take in the future. I just hope they take one that allows my August cruise to sail. 

Saint Greg is right. The 95% number is absolute and is driven by the CDC.  95% of TOTAL passengers will need to be vaccinated.  There will not be additional passenger load allowed to account for children.  There may be lines that choose to do unvaccinated cruises and those with children will need to seek those out. 

• Like 1

Just a random thought.

Simce many critics of the cruise industry call ships Petri dishes on the sea, why doesn’t the cruise industry volunteer to be just that.

To cruise, you must be fully vaccinated,

no masks required, back to normal for the entire cruise.

Then you will have complete and thorough test cases on the true effectiveness of the vaccines. 

Given the Mardi Gras bookings are greyed out until October - I decided to make full payment on our 8/7 sailing today, and will go through the online check-in this evening. I already have 5 nights of specialty dining booked/paid for. We're Diamond, and in the top suite on the ship. Hopefully, if she is sailing with passengers by then, all of that might help us not get culled from the herd - providing that's even in their wheelhouse of possibilities at this point.

We're both vaccinated (since January) and don't mind wearing masks at all. Sure, it can be uncomfortable, but we'll do what's necessary.

Hopefully more clarification will be coming from CDC/Carnival in the next few weeks. If they're going to be sailing in roughly 75 days, they have A LOT of crew that they'll need to start processing back onto the ships PDQ.

Tom

• Like 2

We are on the 9/11 sailing, we made full payment about a month ago (credit card deal w/12 months no interest, so why not)....fingers crossed that we are a 'GO!" ....

I would think (hope), that with all this 'down time', that Carnival would be able to pull together the final details necessary to be ready to sail as soon as cleared by the CDC.....

And, we still want to hear the final details....are we sailing at full capacity? do we have to social distance? do we have to wear masks in certain places?  These are all things we will have to consider.  

• Like 1