New CDC limitations on cruise ship return to service - as of 5/5/21

srpilo

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What is the supposed purpose of those supposedly included microchips? 

Unfortunately, some have been led to believe this figures into Revelation 13:16-17. Apparently it’s a problem among some religious groups, causing hesitancy.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And I have no problem with the buffet being served instead of self serve, but what does that have to do with Covid, an aerosol spread virus.

While the risk of fomite transmission is only about 1 in 10,000, considering how many times a day a person touches their face, eyes and nose (or at least did pre-pandemic), there is still a bit of risk in light of how many hands would touch serving utensils, plates, cups, silverware, etc., before the person using it does. If others’ hands weren’t clean and then they touched those items and the person using the items touched their nose or mouth before washing their hands, it could pose a risk not only for SARS-CoV-2, but for other viruses. It’s one less touchpoint to help reduce risk.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What is the supposed purpose of those supposedly included microchips?  

As a senior citizen who has no signs of dementia , having such microchips within me, might be an advantage when--if--dementia occurs.  And, I don't know where I am.  Perhaps, my POA could determine where the h*&l is Uncle rkacruiser?  😄

LOL.  My children have threatened to have me microchipped in the past, as in "Does anyone know where our mother is?" uttered plaintively.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, cruisegirl said:

Did not know that. Then does that mean the mask requirement for airlines comes from the airlines themselves rather than the CDC? 

The mask requirement comes from an Executive Order from the President.

• Like 2

I just read in the NYT that on May 19th, New York is beginning to allow restaurants and theaters to operate at “near capacity”.  I don’t know what near capacity is defined as but assume it’s something north of 80%.  If it’s ok to walk into a theater or restaurant  in NYC where I don’t know that everyone is vaccinated, why, on a fully vaccinated cruise, can’t we do the same?

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Didn't the CDC just shutdown the cruise industry for 14 months?

Essentially, but there are lawsuits (filed less than a month ago)  as to whether the CDC even has the authority to take these actions or if they do, whether these actions are arbitrary and capricious.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisegirl said:

Did not know that. Then does that mean the mask requirement for airlines comes from the airlines themselves rather than the CDC? 

Mask requirements and forcing Americans to vaccinate are two different “animals.” Only states have the inherent authority to require its residents to get the jab. The mask directive comes from the CDC which built upon a mask EO issued by Biden that governs federal properties and interstate public transportation.

6 minutes ago, CI66774 said:

Essentially, but there are lawsuits (filed less than a month ago)  as to whether the CDC even has the authority to take these actions or if they do, whether these actions are arbitrary and capricious.

But until the courts rule otherwise, ...

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The mask requirement comes from an Executive Order from the President.

We wear masks, and will continue to do so, but there is a fine line when it comes to government overreach.

3 minutes ago, albingirl said:

We wear masks, and will continue to do so, but there is a fine line when it comes to government overreach.

3 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Wearing a mask indoors is not a bad idea for another reason - it helps keep other germs away as well.  For the first time in years I have not had a cold this winter!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

To the OMG folks here: can't we see this as a way to START cruises....and then change as needed? 

Keep in mind cruises are starting!

Maybe so, but we are not spending $1000's to get on a cruise that mandates ships tours only, "take out" food in cabins, social distancing of 6 feet(when the CDC announced just a couple of weeks ago that 3 feet was enough) mask wearing in all public places, (indoors, ok...outdoors, not).  

Already expected our fall 2021cruises not to happen, but now prepared to cancel everything in 2022 & 2023 if these rulings remain in effect.  We'll fly to Europe and back or anywhere else and enjoy a land trip rather than spend the dollars on a cruise that is so restrictive that the most exciting to do is stand on your balcony and hope that they don't tell us we have to wear a mask there too.

• Like 6

The "take out food" situation is a recommendation...a suggestion. Its not required. I sense the situation is dependent on capacity...if the ship is sailing at 50 or 60% to begin with, I doubt the take out situation wouldn't be needed. 

As fewer cases (hopefully) occur, and the cruise lines prove they can manage the situation, recommendations will be eased.

Take a breath, people!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Take a breath, people!

A safe, distanced, masked breath probably....

So ready to be on the ships again! With great people, great crew, great destinations.

Step by step, it’s coming.

• Like 3

No one should be surprised by any of these protocols.  At least anyone who has been paying attention.  The protocols released yesterday are no different than those being used on cruises already sailing elsewhere in the world.  They are also similar to those that are going to be used on vaccinated sailings from the UK, Greece and Israel, including restricted shore visits.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Roz said:

Eating a pre-packaged meal in my cabin by myself is VERY unappealing.

Indeed -- as a solo, the dining arrangements have been almost as concerning to me as the need to take ship tours. I don't want to take a cruise only to have to sit by myself (or worse yet, eat in my cabin) for the entire time.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I just read in the NYT that on May 19th, New York is beginning to allow restaurants and theaters to operate at “near capacity”.  I don’t know what near capacity is defined as but assume it’s something north of 80%.  If it’s ok to walk into a theater or restaurant  in NYC where I don’t know that everyone is vaccinated, why, on a fully vaccinated cruise, can’t we do the same?

Can't speak for the restaurants but I did hear last night on the news that the theatres are not going to reopen until mid-September.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

...If it’s ok to walk into a theater or restaurant  in NYC where I don’t know that everyone is vaccinated, why, on a fully vaccinated cruise, can’t we do the same?

Agree the risk is much less where everyone is vaccinated as opposed to an unknown amount in an indoor restaurant! Talk about risk! I imagine because so many congregate living settings were the source of so many clusters, there’s extra caution.

But 100% vaccination should make a difference now between sailings that aren’t 100%.

Edited by syesmar

5 minutes ago, Laminator said:

I am sure I am a little confused here as usual. I thought what the CDC released yesterday was for simulated voyages only.

Technical Instructions for Simulated Voyages by Cruise Ship Operators under CDC’s Framework for Conditional Sailing Order | Quarantine | CDC

While you are correct that those Technical Instructions are for "simulated" voyages, the next item down in the menu at the right of the page is the "Covid-19 Operations Manual for Simulated and Restricted Voyages under the CSO".  Nearly every requirement listed for "simulated" cruises is repeated for the "restricted" cruises (those revenue cruises that sail after either successful simulated cruises, or with vaccinated pax/crew).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While you are correct that those Technical Instructions are for "simulated" voyages, the next item down in the menu at the right of the page is the "Covid-19 Operations Manual for Simulated and Restricted Voyages under the CSO".  Nearly every requirement listed for "simulated" cruises is repeated for the "restricted" cruises (those revenue cruises that sail after either successful simulated cruises, or with vaccinated pax/crew).

I think everything is very fluid and will change many times over the next several months!

1 minute ago, Laminator said:

I think everything is very fluid and will change many times over the next several months!

You may be right, but with everyone salivating over the CDC's statement that cruises could restart in July, they have missed the part that says this is dependent on the cruise lines meeting the requirements of the CSO, and these are the requirements of the CSO as of this moment.  Everyone has also jumped on the "if vaccinated, no simulated cruises" bandwagon, but this "operations manual" shows that the first cruises, as of this moment, and as to what the cruise lines need to submit plans for, as of this moment, are the same whether you hold simulated cruises or require vaccinations.  So, under your thoughts, the cruise lines can either make plans to meet these requirements, now, and get them approved for starting in July, or they can "wait and see" if things change by then, and then meet the new requirements, and start even later.

• Like 5

Looks like no cruise for us this year.  I'm rather gloomy that the CDC will ease up to the point I find the cruise acceptable.

The CDC has this goal of saving every life possible.  Many of us are willing to accept small risks to live as we wish. 

• Like 7