Discontinuing the Patter?

CruzinNoony

On 5/7/2021 at 7:48 AM, MissP22 said:

If they would eliminate all the ad's for everything they sell on the ship it would also save lots of paper but I doubt it that would be a consideration. 

Agree I toss out all the ads, maybe we can request not to receive ads but continue the Patter.  That would be my choice. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Peter Piper prefers to peruse a paper Patter.

If Peter Piper picked a paper Patter from Princess, how many paper Patter's would Princess have to print?

He would probably print as many Patters as a printer can Print for passengers preferring to peruse a printed Patter picked up at the Purser's.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Peter Piper prefers to peruse a paper Patter.

If Peter Piper picked a paper Patter from Princess, how many paper Patter's would Princess have to print?

GRO_O_O_O_O_AN!

• Like 2

To me it's a lot of wasted paper. I got used to using my phone for the Princess Patter because I do carry my phone around because I like to take photos or video happenings on the ship. You never know what you are going to see. Plus it you have friends you can use their app for messaging. Once you get used to it, I find it super easy. Plus I don't want to carry the Princess Patter around with me on the ship. Having my phone is so much easier. 

• Like 1

The past few cruises my patters along with the shopping advertisements and port info;  sit in a big pile on my end table in cabin.  I glance at them;  but rarely read them.  Everything I need is on my phone and tablet.  

• Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 8:56 AM, 1965 said:

Right on both points. Huge waste of money & resources. And most pax toss them without reading them. And it's annoying. 

Same with all the crap they post in your cabin for art auctions and that overpriced awful Effy jewellery that they sell but I bet they wont stop sending those out because it makes Princess money

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

The past few cruises my patters along with the shopping advertisements and port info;  sit in a big pile on my end table in cabin.  I glance at them;  but rarely read them.  Everything I need is on my phone and tablet.  

Just wait until they start spamming your phone with ad's.🙄 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 2:02 PM, CruiseMrB said:

The idea that I might need to bring a tablet on a cruise in order to function on the cruise is maddening. I though one of the things about cruising was leaving that connected world behind, if one so chose.

The 21st century is all about being connected.  This pandemic has forced those who are afraid of technology to learn it fast. My wife has elderly patients in their 80's who at first were afraid of video visits through myChart now disappointed that that Dr wants to see them in person in the office.  Just because you have the opportunity to use your phone to read the Patter or the menu doesn't mean you have to connect to the outside world.  I could leave my wallet at home but I would be lost without the phone. It's an electronic Swiss Army knife.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The 21st century is all about being connected.  This pandemic has forced those who are afraid of technology to learn it fast. My wife has elderly patients in their 80's who at first were afraid of video visits through myChart now disappointed that that Dr wants to see them in person in the office.  Just because you have the opportunity to use your phone to read the Patter or the menu doesn't mean you have to connect to the outside world.  I could leave my wallet at home but I would be lost without the phone. It's an electronic Swiss Army knife.

At 74. retired, I have lived without a smart phone all my life... use desk top computer at home, a flip phone in case of emergency since no pay phones any more.  Before I go on next cruise will purchase a smart phone for travel purposes but do not intend to become addicted to it.  It is tool - use as necessary only.  I still prefer paper patter, gladly will pick up at Customer Service desk if necessary, along with the daily news summary.  Just because electronics are part of our life does not mean we need to be controlled by these devises.  I don't do electronic banking, don't do zoom appts and have no  plans to be clued to a smart phone on a cruise.  Glad this works for some, just not for me.  If I did not need a smart phone to check in for flights or check in for a cruise I would not buy one at all. 

• Like 1

I also didn't think I needed a smart phone. However, as my age-related hearing loss worsened I needed hearing aids. The aids best suited for my loss work in conjunction with a smart phone. I've got the phone and my hearing aid is adjustable using my phone. I can increase or decrease the sound I receive, apply noise cancelling as the noise from plane engines and wind noises while driving. I can even silence the aids if I so choose without removing them, just using the phone. I am now a happy smart phone user.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pris993 said:

At 74. retired, I have lived without a smart phone all my life... use desk top computer at home, a flip phone in case of emergency since no pay phones any more.  Before I go on next cruise will purchase a smart phone for travel purposes but do not intend to become addicted to it.  It is tool - use as necessary only.  I still prefer paper patter, gladly will pick up at Customer Service desk if necessary, along with the daily news summary.  Just because electronics are part of our life does not mean we need to be controlled by these devices.  I don't do electronic banking, don't do zoom appts and have no  plans to be glued to a smart phone on a cruise.  Glad this works for some, just not for me.  If I did not need a smartphone to check in for flights or check in for a cruise I would not buy one at all. 

But you can see how they are becoming a necessity for everyday procedures like check in. I purchased an iPhone for my 88 yr old father. He was already using an iPad and actually uses Youtube for recipes and how to videos. He would use a flip phone to text message. I never had the patients to text that way. I wanted him to have it so we were free to text without having to count words since flip phones have a limited amount of text capabilities .  He will never do online banking or to order take out but during the pandemic he was able to use the phone for video Dr visits for my mother. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

But you can see how they are becoming a necessity for everyday procedures like check in. I purchased an iPhone for my 88 yr old father. He was already using an iPad and actually uses Youtube for recipes and how to videos. He would use a flip phone to text message. I never had the patients to text that way. I wanted him to have it so we were free to text without having to count words since flip phones have a limited amount of text capabilities .  He will never do online banking or to order take out but during the pandemic he was able to use the phone for video Dr visits for my mother. 

Yes, I do see how they are becoming a necessity for some functions.  I have a desk top, which I use for recipes and you tube videos, prefer typing on a desk top vs texting on a small device.  I never text, either send an email from my desk top or instant message on face book; or call and talk to someone.  I will resist the take  over of our lives as much as possible, only give in when I have no other choice.  It is not about learning the new technology.   I have no desire to change unless forced to give up  what I already do that works for me.  I do find it interesting how companies are basically getting us to do their work for them with this technology.  Now we will be checking our selves in when boarding a cruise, just like we have been printing boarding passes and checking in with airlines.   I use to like getting my boarding pass in the mail, along with airline tickets. 

40 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Yes, I do see how they are becoming a necessity for some functions.  I have a desk top, which I use for recipes and you tube videos, prefer typing on a desk top vs texting on a small device.  I never text, either send an email from my desk top or instant message on face book; or call and talk to someone.  I will resist the take  over of our lives as much as possible, only give in when I have no other choice.  It is not about learning the new technology.   I have no desire to change unless forced to give up  what I already do that works for me.  I do find it interesting how companies are basically getting us to do their work for them with this technology.  Now we will be checking our selves in when boarding a cruise, just like we have been printing boarding passes and checking in with airlines.   I use to like getting my boarding pass in the mail, along with airline tickets. 

I use a desktop as well but also have an iPad and iPhone.  We used to bring a laptop on board so we could check in for flights reference emails for excursions or emails from the cruise lines. Now we find that the phone is more than enough. We have access to emails and everything that is cruise related is in its own file. I haven't brought a camera with me in years since the cameras on the newer phones are better than any digital camera that I have owned. Everything is stored in the cloud and are sent to the Mac desktop so no chance of losing them. The only phone calls I get are from that annoying car warranty solicitor.   

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 hours ago, pris993 said:

At 74. retired, I have lived without a smart phone all my life... use desk top computer at home, a flip phone in case of emergency since no pay phones any more.  Before I go on next cruise will purchase a smart phone for travel purposes but do not intend to become addicted to it.  It is tool - use as necessary only.  I still prefer paper patter, gladly will pick up at Customer Service desk if necessary, along with the daily news summary.  Just because electronics are part of our life does not mean we need to be controlled by these devises.  I don't do electronic banking, don't do zoom appts and have no  plans to be clued to a smart phone on a cruise.  Glad this works for some, just not for me.  If I did not need a smart phone to check in for flights or check in for a cruise I would not buy one at all. 

I am73. I do all the things you dont and really like it i am in contact with s school  friends I would have otherwise not have found. I do like the patter. Rarely look at cell phone when on a cruise.i deposit checks by phone, which is great. Trade stocks on an i pad and view photos of grandchildren on tv mirrored from i phone. 

13 hours ago, katisdale said:

I also didn't think I needed a smart phone. However, as my age-related hearing loss worsened I needed hearing aids. The aids best suited for my loss work in conjunction with a smart phone. I've got the phone and my hearing aid is adjustable using my phone. I can increase or decrease the sound I receive, apply noise cancelling as the noise from plane engines and wind noises while driving. I can even silence the aids if I so choose without removing them, just using the phone. I am now a happy smart phone user.

Now we're talking; someone who has found a use for their smartphone in addition to its being an actual phone.  I love it

10 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I am73. I do all the things you dont and really like it i am in contact with s school  friends I would have otherwise not have found. I do like the patter. Rarely look at cell phone when on a cruise.i deposit checks by phone, which is great. Trade stocks on an i pad and view photos of grandchildren on tv mirrored from i phone. 

One of the best features lately is the bank apps allowing you to deposit checks.  No more visiting the bank in person.  Love it.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Just wait until they start spamming your phone with ad's.🙄 

I get it; I will ignore the ads on my iphone just like I ignore the paper copy ads left in cabin.  Cheers

• Like 1