What do you take, even though it’s provided?

Eddie99

2 minutes ago, rumbalizw said:

It's the plastic small containers in the cabins many don't like . 

Fair enough - but you can always go to the buffet for a jug of "fresh" milk.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I was just saying I got milk from room service. Why some are thinking that I'm  dim and think I assume it's freshly delivered at sea ,I don't know. Anyway , thanks for making me feel terrible 

I take my own tea bags as I don't like strong tea. I also take them to hotels in Yorkshire. On our last cruise I tried English breakfast and it was quite nice. With regards to the milk, while on Britannia and the Costa on the lido deck had milk in the same bottles as the supermarket. 

Not something that's supplied, but I usually take some chocolate bars. I'm not a lover of desserts and they don't usually have any I like apart from the jam roly poly which is only available one day and ice cream which you mostly have to buy. I know you can get it for free in the mdr, but I find that to eat there, it's too much food on a night.

7 hours ago, rumbalizw said:

I was just saying I got milk from room service. Why some are thinking that I'm  dim and think I assume it's freshly delivered at sea ,I don't know. Anyway , thanks for making me feel terrible 

I see these posters as having a laugh with sea cows etc and not a personal swipe at you,

so please don't feel terrible about it and if you can can move on from it . 

It's no good crying over spilt milk (UHT or fresh) Lets be happy guys and stay safe :classic_smile:

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, rumbalizw said:

Welcome rumbalizw,nice to hear from you.

We get room service breakfast every morning and on Royal Caribbean they bring hot milk in a metal jug with our morning coffee/tea.

I always get cereal as well as a hot breakfast from room service on Royal Caribbean and the milk for my cereal is in a half pint carton.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, davemorton said:

I thought people on here were better educated than that on the ways of the ocean.  They obviously do get fresh milk every day, the Captain sends a couple of the crew every morning to milk the Sea cows. 

They keep the onboard cow in the Cows Nest which is that mysterious white space next to your cabin 😉

I think they do obtain bottled milk if available

I now prefer UHT milk as the semi-skimmed tastes creamier than past your eyes. It lasts for months as well

Edited by davecttr
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, davecttr said:

They keep the onboard cow in the Cows Nest which is that mysterious white space next to your cabin 😉

I think they do obtain bottled milk if available

I now prefer UHT milk as the semi-skimmed tastes creamier than past your eyes. It lasts for months as well

Many a true word Dave.Why do you think some Celebrity ships have grass on the top deck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, brian1 said:

Why do you think some Celebrity ships have grass on the top deck.

But it's not real and if it were all the druggies would be booking Celeb ships :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We travel by coach to the port. On the way down I always pick up a few newspapers especially if we travel at weekend. These get read over the next few days. You would be amazed by how many approach me at sea and ask which outlet is selling them. I even had one guy have a bit of a rant about not being able to get a daily paper only the ships news.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You do all realise that all the milk on board is UHT, daily deliveries from the milkman in his little electric milk float are a bit difficult at sea!

I know that John, but it still tastes much better than the stuff in the little plastic tubes in the cabin.

Avril

• Like 2

9 hours ago, davemorton said:

I thought people on here were better educated than that on the ways of the ocean.  They obviously do get fresh milk every day, the Captain sends a couple of the crew every morning to milk the Sea cows. 

Would they be the same crew members who catch the fish for dinner?

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, rumbalizw said:

Welcome Rumbalizw, and sorry if the remarks have upset you. No-one was assuming you were dim, and you will have noticed that most are agreeing with you about the milk. We hate the taste of milk in the cabin too, and I've lost count of the number of times I've squirted the milk out of those ridiculous tubes all over me. 

One or two posters sense of humour take some getting used to. I've been posting for 15 months, and I'm only just getting used to it😉

Avril

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kalos said:

But it's not real and if it were all the druggies would be booking Celeb ships :classic_wink:

No there isn't a potting shed but it is real.Lawn Club Grill.

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I know that John, but it still tastes much better than the stuff in the little plastic tubes in the cabin.

Avril

My taste buds must be deficient Avril, I find the plastic tubes/sachets taste about the same as the breakfast jug milk, at least in the coffee or tea. That was why I posted my comment, of course if people with better quality taste buds prefer the room service jugs or bigger cartons from the buffet then that's fine.

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My taste buds must be deficient Avril, I find the plastic tubes/sachets taste about the same as the breakfast jug milk, at least in the coffee or tea. That was why I posted my comment, of course if people with better quality taste buds prefer the room service jugs or bigger cartons from the buffet then that's fine.

It's definitely all down to taste buds John. Remember the conversations about red wine versus white?  My taste buds tell me there's no such thing as a nice red wine😊

There's now't as queer as folk😉

Avril

For coffee prefer to go and get a cappuccino,  only have one at 11am.

For tea much prefer fresh milk, but just can't be bothered to take it with us and go shopping for it at ports . Get a carton of milk left in fridge, know it's UHT but better than squirting sachets everywhere. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2021 at 1:07 PM, Eddie99 said:

Also an Aeropress coffee maker for the cabin, and tea bags.

Yup, wouldn't go without my Aeropress and enough ground coffee for the duration. I take the metal filters, you get on Ebay. Pity there's nothing in the cabin to heat milk. At home, I nuke 2 tablespoonsful in the microwave and use one of those battery frothers to bulk it up. I find the used coffee "pucks" are dead handy in the garden, against slugs and snails.

1 hour ago, Bertie Doe said:

Yup, wouldn't go without my Aeropress and enough ground coffee for the duration. I take the metal filters, you get on Ebay. Pity there's nothing in the cabin to heat milk. At home, I nuke 2 tablespoonsful in the microwave and use one of those battery frothers to bulk it up. I find the used coffee "pucks" are dead handy in the garden, against slugs and snails.

I have considered getting one of these for when on holiday, I was just concerned they would be too messy to use on board.  I am presuming you find them okay to use, and dont make loads of mess? 

15 minutes ago, davemorton said:

I have considered getting one of these for when on holiday, I was just concerned they would be too messy to use on board.  I am presuming you find them okay to use, and don't make loads of mess? 

Clean up is a doddle, especially with the paper filters supplied. If you look about 3 mins 40sec into the vid, he simply ejects it from the press. I prefer to use about 50 ml/gr of water, just off the boil and infuse for 90 secs from 10 gr of coffee. For really fresh coffee, Google Hasbean Coffee and also Rave Coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c14DxfVOY4

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Doe said:

Pity there's nothing in the cabin to heat milk.

I bought one of those small stainless steel milk jugs you often find in hotels. I put the milk in it, put it in a bowl or cup and pour boiling water round it. Brings the temp up to 40 or 50 which does the trick.

I like travelling with the aeropress. I also always pack a thermos mug... I like to take my time with a good cup of coffee and the thermos stays hot for a long time.

7 minutes ago, smollett said:

I bought one of those small stainless steel milk jugs you often find in hotels. I put the milk in it, put it in a bowl or cup and pour boiling water round it. Brings the temp up to 40 or 50 which does the trick.

Ah, thanks smollett, I hadn't thought of using a small s/s jug. I've got one and must remember to pack it, along with the vital pocket scales and frother. The UHT cream I've used in the past, does tend to overwhelm the drink.

I bought one of those expensive espresso machines about 20 years ago. Aeropress wasn't around then and it does make better coffee  than the espresso machine IMHO.