Ships to start sailing half capacity in August from Bayonne

3 hours ago, WeatherFx said:

Freedom and Oasis from Miami in July?

81736560_FreedomJuly-Miami.png.034fe4cf6b605fcdefd888531ddd5d29.png

Oasis July-Miami.png

I admittedly don’t really know what I’m looking at but they look like short cruises and the port of call says “sea”. Could they be planning on running test cruises out of Miami?

9 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

I don't believe fully vaccinated cruises will require test cruises out of New York correct?

Royal is not planning on having any 95% vaccinated ships (Seattle/Alaska being the exception) they will all have to have test cruises. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Royal is not planning on having any 95% vaccinated ships, they will all have to have test cruises. 

All can change. No one knows except them. Very fluid situation. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jpurdy said:

All can change. No one knows except them. Very fluid situation. 

No it isn’t, RCL carries too many kids, they can’t meet the threshold of the CDC.

On the other hand that could why they are shooting for an August start, when the minimum age for a vaccine requirement drops to 12, that helps meet the criteria to bypass test cruises. 

18 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No it isn’t, RCL carries too many kids, they can’t meet the threshold of the CDC.

On the other hand that could why they are shooting for an August start, when the minimum age for a vaccine requirement drops to 12, that helps meet the criteria to bypass test cruises. 

By September schools open in New York and New Jersey so most passengers are likely to be adults which bodes well for 95/98 sailings. 

Jonathan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Royal is not planning on having any 95% vaccinated ships (Seattle/Alaska being the exception) they will all have to have test cruises. 

If they plan on sailing at 50 percent capacity it will be extremely easy for them to get to the 95% vaccinated passengers.  They just tell the unvaccinated passengers that are already booked that they cannot cruise. That will make it much easier to get down to 50% without having to bump passengers for other reasons.

14 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

If they plan on sailing at 50 percent capacity it will be extremely easy for them to get to the 95% vaccinated passengers.  They just tell the unvaccinated passengers that are already booked that they cannot cruise. That will make it much easier to get down to 50% without having to bump passengers for other reasons.

What if all the vaccinated passengers have kids under 12? 
I think you have oversimplified the issue. On an Oasis class ship, at 50% capacity, more than 134 people (kids or medical/religious exemptions) puts you over the limit. 

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I think you have oversimplified the issue. On an Oasis class ship, at 50% capacity, less than 150 people (kids or medical/religious exemptions) puts you over the limit. 

We all know the dreaded Covid questioner is all coming to all booked cruisers.

Have you had Covid 19 in the last 90 days?

Has a travel companion tested positive for Covid 19 over the last 90 days?

Will you be fully vaccinated on the date of your scheduled departure

Will you be able to provide proof of vaccination at check in?

Will you be traveling with anybody in your reservation that will not be fully vaccinated at check in?

On and On from there. 

They will have the option to remove any reservation to get to the 50% capacity.  It will be much easier to remove a reservation with a party of 5 (3 unvaccinated kids) than vaccinated couples.

The unvaccinated, (kids or no kids) will be the first to be bumped to get to 50% capacity.  It will have nothing to do with room category, price paid, or status.

If it is a combination of 50% capacity and 95% vaccinated passengers its a no brainer.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY MY POINT OF VIEW.  

5 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

We all know the dreaded Covid questioner is all coming to all booked cruisers.

Have you had Covid 19 in the last 90 days?

Has a travel companion tested positive for Covid 19 over the last 90 days?

Will you be fully vaccinated on the date of your scheduled departure

Will you be able to provide proof of vaccination at check in?

Will you be traveling with anybody in your reservation that will not be fully vaccinated at check in?

On and On from there. 

They will have the option to remove any reservation to get to the 50% capacity.  It will be much easier to remove a reservation with a party of 5 (3 unvaccinated kids) than vaccinated couples.

The unvaccinated, (kids or no kids) will be the first to be bumped to get to 50% capacity.  It will have nothing to do with room category, price paid, or status.

If it is a combination of 50% capacity and 95% vaccinated passengers its a no brainer.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS ONLY MY POINT OF VIEW.  

I respect that, it remains to be seen how they handle these first couple months that are already sold. 
I have my popcorn ready 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I think you have oversimplified the issue. On an Oasis class ship, at 50% capacity, more than 134 people (kids or medical/religious exemptions) puts you over the limit. 

So then they have to L&S or take the 125% FCC.  The 95% route gets the ships sailing quicker.  Otherwise each ship going the test cruise route needs to pass all of the protocol tests that the CDC wants and this will result in the cruising taking longer to start up, resulting in lost revenue since a few sailings will be missed taking the test cruise route instead of the 95% route. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

And you know this as fact, how?

I mean I don’t think anything can be stated as fact now but in the video from Michael Bayley he said that Royal would be taking the test cruise route. I mean I suppose with vaccine rollout there might be hope that all kids could get vaccinated but that’s a big “what if” so you’d think they’d do the test cruise anyway just to be cautious.

20 minutes ago, CruiseBride926 said:

... I mean I suppose with vaccine rollout there might be hope that all kids could get vaccinated but that’s a big “what if” so you’d think they’d do the test cruise anyway just to be cautious.

It's not a "What if" it's a When. Vaccines will be available for children 12 years and under by early to mid-fall. At this point Royal Caribbean at minimum will be able to meet the 95/98 threshold and sail without masks and social distancing for vaccinated passengers. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

IMO, an easy short term solution (get started sailing soon) is to sail Enchantment from Baltimore first, instead of NJ cruises.  Always fewer children, fewer attractions on the ship for them.  We vaccinated "old people" can easily fill the ship to whatever capacity they choose.  And the Port of Baltimore is open, ready for cruising.

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

So then they have to L&S or take the 125% FCC.  The 95% route gets the ships sailing quicker.  Otherwise each ship going the test cruise route needs to pass all of the protocol tests that the CDC wants and this will result in the cruising taking longer to start up, resulting in lost revenue since a few sailings will be missed taking the test cruise route instead of the 95% route. 

The company has already stated that RCL was taking the test cruise route and Celebrity was going the 95% route.

The company has already stated that RCL was taking the test cruise route and Celebrity was going the 95% route.

It still doesn't preclude using different approaches for different ships. The Grandeur/Enchantment sailings out of Baltimore, for example, simply do not have many kids, ever. It may become prudent in general to restart those under the 95% rules. And further, restarting a sailing on a ship after test cruises does NOT mean that they cannot take advantage of 95% rules at their option on those ships, either.

So much is up in the air/undecided or subject to changes. Many people are working themselves up unnecessarily at the moment.

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiserking said:

It's not a "What if" it's a When. Vaccines will be available for children 12 years and under by early to mid-fall. At this point Royal Caribbean at minimum will be able to meet the 95/98 threshold and sail without masks and social distancing for vaccinated passengers. 

Jonathan

Sorry I should have clarified that the “what if” is in having a definitive date. While I think your estimation is extremely likely it would be really bad if it didn’t and then they have half of an already reduced capacity ship needing refunds.

• Like 1

As everything changes on a daily/weekly basis with the cruise lines.    Sailings out of Baltimore have very few children on board except for Christmas and other holidays, even then I have never seen a lot of children.     Royal can easily adjust their vaccine requirement per port like they are doing with Alaska sailings.     

I suspect Cape Liberty, NJ port would prefer to have sailings with the 95% rule too.     So even though Royal said a week or so ago they will go the test cruise route due to families being a big part of their market that can easily change per port/ per ship. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dswallow said:

True. Still, gotta point it out from time to time, too. Sometimes newbies see these discussions without realizing that. 🙂

A few on here think they know what is going to happen and won't let it go. They don't know. Everything could change today. 

• Like 4