Alaska Cruises to Begin in July

ProfMHC

I resisted shore excursions through them. But I have to do 2 in Alaska as the ziplining company will not book outside any ship when they're in port. Hope the ship adds a fee instead of discounting their revenue. I know Juneau Tramway tickets are the same whether I book with Princess or once I get there so they do discount to the cruise liners

We have been booked for one of the cruises that is now a go for quite some time.  Now to find out what sort of proof they will require for vaccinations for my husband who received his through the AstraZeneca vaccine trial!  He doesn't have a CDC card because they can't issue that until the vaccine has been approved for emergency use at a minimum in the USA.  As they say the devil is in the details...

4 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

We have been booked for one of the cruises that is now a go for quite some time.  Now to find out what sort of proof they will require for vaccinations for my husband who received his through the AstraZeneca vaccine trial!  He doesn't have a CDC card because they can't issue that until the vaccine has been approved for emergency use at a minimum in the USA.  As they say the devil is in the details...

Does he actually know if he received the vaccine or a placebo.  Can't he get the information directly from AstraZeneca.  Perhaps you can just get a 2nd shot - would it hurt to get 2 shots?

DON

Just now, donaldsc said:

Does he actually know if he received the vaccine or a placebo.  Can't he get the information directly from AstraZeneca.  Perhaps you can just get a 2nd shot - would it hurt to get 2 shots?

DON

Yes, he got the vaccine and I got the placebo so I am now fully vaccinated with Moderna.  I've sent an email off to my contact at the trial to find out what they may be able to provide at this point but I also wish I had a contact at Princess to ensure that they consider folks like us who were guinea pigs in Covid vaccine trials.  Of course I am assuming that AstraZeneca will not have received EUA or full approval by the FDA by then.  They have said that will submit any time now but they have been saying that for months....

Canada's ban on cruise ships specifically notes that it does not apply to ships engaged in "innocent transit", meaning any ship of any nation is allowed to transit Canada's waters if they are not stopping.  Stopping includes activities like anchoring, fishing, etc.  So, whether or not cruise ships decide to use the Inside Passage is their decision alone, and the Canadian pilots have no recourse but to allow the ships to sail.  As noted, some of the Princess ships are not allowed in the Inside Passage for other reasons, mainly steerage at low speed and high winds, without tug assist.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Canada's ban on cruise ships specifically notes that it does not apply to ships engaged in "innocent transit", meaning any ship of any nation is allowed to transit Canada's waters if they are not stopping.  Stopping includes activities like anchoring, fishing, etc.  So, whether or not cruise ships decide to use the Inside Passage is their decision alone, and the Canadian pilots have no recourse but to allow the ships to sail.  As noted, some of the Princess ships are not allowed in the Inside Passage for other reasons, mainly steerage at low speed and high winds, without tug assist.

Oh, that's interesting! Does that mean the Canadian pilot would be required to board the ship in Canadian waters, or is that only required if ships are actually docking?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Oh, that's interesting! Does that mean the Canadian pilot would be required to board the ship in Canadian waters, or is that only required if ships are actually docking?

I believe that the Inland Passage is a "restricted area", so it requires a pilot, and therefore, yes, the Canadian pilot would need to board, unless the ship's Captain has pilotage for that area (not common for those waters).  The pilot and bridge crew would need to practice masking and social distancing, etc.  Canada, under its health emergency measures could proscribe ships from entering the Inland Passage, for the safety of pilots, but that would have to include all ships, not just cruise ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I believe that the Inland Passage is a "restricted area", so it requires a pilot, and therefore, yes, the Canadian pilot would need to board, unless the ship's Captain has pilotage for that area (not common for those waters).  The pilot and bridge crew would need to practice masking and social distancing, etc.  Canada, under its health emergency measures could proscribe ships from entering the Inland Passage, for the safety of pilots, but that would have to include all ships, not just cruise ships.

The pilot probably won't be necessary as the Majestic will sail west of Vancouver Island, correct?

John Chernesky from Princess just had a webinar that answered questions about sailing to Alaska.  A lot is still awaiting final technical instructions from the CDC (which affects social distancing and masks on board and final capacity allowed).  But lots of interesting stuff here including that they will make some exceptions to the fully vaccinated requirement on a case by case basis.  (1) Facebook

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

John Chernesky from Princess just had a webinar that answered questions about sailing to Alaska.  A lot is still awaiting final technical instructions from the CDC (which affects social distancing and masks on board and final capacity allowed).  But lots of interesting stuff here including that they will make some exceptions to the fully vaccinated requirement on a case by case basis.  (1) Facebook

We jumped on booking a fully vaccinated cruise on the Majestic Princess and are not so thrilled to now find out that, despite Princess’ assurances that these would be 100% vaccinated cruises, they might well not be. 

1 minute ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We jumped on booking a fully vaccinated cruise on the Majestic Princess and are not so thrilled to now find out that, despite Princess’ assurances that these would be 100% vaccinated cruises, they might well not be. 

I know what you mean.  There is comfort in knowing that we will be surrounded by fully vaccinated folks.  He did say that the numbers in this category will be limited to what the final CDC guidelines may be (currently 5%) and would include kids.  And he also said for this group testing would be required.  Here's the slide that I posted on another thread:

image.png.142bde5178493846297d747ffdeccc34.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I know what you mean.  There is comfort in knowing that we will be surrounded by fully vaccinated folks.  He did say that the numbers in this category will be limited to what the final CDC guidelines may be (currently 5%) and would include kids.  And he also said for this group testing would be required.  Here's the slide that I posted on another thread:

image.png.142bde5178493846297d747ffdeccc34.png

The issue is that every Tom, Dick and Harry who didn’t want to wear a mask had “medical” or “religious” waiver cards made up to serve as their excuse.  I was hoping to avoid them during our cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

The issue is that every Tom, Dick and Harry who didn’t want to wear a mask had “medical” or “religious” waiver cards made up to serve as their excuse.  I was hoping to avoid them during our cruise. 

I didn't get the impression that this would be taken lightly.  And remember that this category will also include kids.  They aren't selling the ships to full capacity so there should be a limited number of folks if any on board under the exception category.  Of course it's all subject to change depending on what is in the final CDC technical instructions which John says that Princess has every intention to follow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

You may be nervous, J, not sure.  But with you and G fully vaccinated, little to worry about.  Only very small numbers on board *might* not be vaccinated.  It is going to be better than a pre-covid cruise. 

Masks aren't that helpful anymore.  Hope you will still go and enjoy.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As noted, some of the Princess ships are not allowed in the Inside Passage for other reasons, mainly steerage at low speed and high winds, without tug assist.

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

As a Royal class ship, yes, most likely.

So Royal class ships are no longer allowed in the Inland Passage without a tug? Our SB cruise from Whittier to Vancouver in 2019 aboard the Royal sailed that passage.. however, I can see why Canada would prohibit their pilots from boarding cruise ships until their ports open.

3 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

I didn't get the impression that this would be taken lightly.  And remember that this category will also include kids.  They aren't selling the ships to full capacity so there should be a limited number of folks if any on board under the exception category.  Of course it's all subject to change depending on what is in the final CDC technical instructions which John says that Princess has every intention to follow.

I’ve watched the video now and don’t get the impression this will be taken lightly either.  However, it is a difference from late last week, when these cruises were touted as 100% vaccinated cruises. 

I received an email from Paul Gaugin cruises today that said their own survey indicated that 94% of people want to be on 100% vaccinated cruises. So that is all they are offering for the foreseeable future. That makes sense to me. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

You may be nervous, J, not sure.  But with you and G fully vaccinated, little to worry about.  Only very small numbers on board *might* not be vaccinated.  It is going to be better than a pre-covid cruise. 

Masks aren't that helpful anymore.  Hope you will still go and enjoy.

Masks however are needed for the unvaccinated so they don’t infect each other

4 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

They aren't selling the ships to full capacity so there should be a limited number of folks if any on board under the exception category.  

So, I am curious and haven't found this posted anywhere else since they opened up the bookings for Alaska.  Do you know what their limit on capacity will be?  

21 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

So, I am curious and haven't found this posted anywhere else since they opened up the bookings for Alaska.  Do you know what their limit on capacity will be?  

They did not say, only that it would be part of the final info from the CDC.  But they are not selling to capacity and believe what they have held back should be sufficient.  No idea what they have assumed nor were they forthcoming with that tidbit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Those religions that have an absolute objection for vaccines would not be on cruise ships any way.  Those religions are :

Some Amish
Some Dutch Reformed churches
Some Muslim fundamentalists

Christian Scientists

Churches that rely on faith healing

Granted, that fifth group might be on ships, but highly unlikely.

So anyone who claims they're not getting a vaccine for "religious reasons", ask them if they're Amish.  :classic_wink:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

They aren't selling the ships to full capacity so there should be a limited number of folks if any on board under the exception category.  Of course it's all subject to change depending on what is in the final CDC technical instructions which John says that Princess has every intention to follow.

15 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

They did not say, only that it would be part of the final info from the CDC.  But they are not selling to capacity and believe what they have held back should be sufficient.  No idea what they have assumed nor were they forthcoming with that tidbit.

I believe their goal is 100% capacity as soon as possible . Unless the CDC demands reduced capacity , it will be full capacity sooner then later and I'm betting on sooner.

17 hours ago, cattman said:

So Royal class ships are no longer allowed in the Inland Passage without a tug? Our SB cruise from Whittier to Vancouver in 2019 aboard the Royal sailed that passage.. however, I can see why Canada would prohibit their pilots from boarding cruise ships until their ports open.

That's the last I heard, after the Canadian pilots did simulations using the Royal class ships, and found that they had too much windage and not enough low speed maneuverability for some of the narrows.  Pilots on cruise ships have very little more exposure than pilots on cargo ships, and they have been boarding ships all through the pandemic.