Yes, I am TOTALLY Crazy, But Felt I had to be on the First Alaska Cruise July 24

LAFFNVEGAS

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

My PCC mentioned that check in will be done on the Navigator app.

That could work if they can figure out how to update the booking numbers in the Navigator app. Still showing the old one on the Eurodam for us. Technology isn't HAL's strength.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

That could work if they can figure out how to update the booking numbers in the Navigator app. Still showing the old one on the Eurodam for us. Technology isn't HAL's strength.

On my iPad all is good.  On my Samsung phone it shows all the cancelled cruises from this past year as past cruises and none of our current bookings.  I hope the terminal has good WiFi.

• Like 2

Thanks Everyone, Tom and I are really excited. I totally expect to have a very different cruise but we are well prepared for the changes there will be.

I have been watching availability and checked early this morning and just a few minutes ago and all the sailings  are actually selling fairly quick. I think there is a lot of penned up need and want for cruising. The phone lines for HAL are tied up and they are not even allowing much for wait time and asking to call back later or go to Hollandamerica.com and use the chat feature for questions.

I think this was what Holland America had wanted to happen for the Eurodam in Greece but sadly that is not what happened.

I would not be surprised to see these sailings sold out by the end of the weekend.

One thing I did notice yesterday is that all the sailings offered had the Interior cabins unavailable and the first sailing was only offering Balcony and Suites. Into August they were showing Ocean View available but not the Interior. This leads me to believe that one they are reducing capacity and or...they are trying to sell the more expensive cabins first. But I do think that capacity will be limited and not at 100% although they have not stated.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Thanks Everyone, Tom and I are really excited. I totally expect to have a very different cruise but we are well prepared for the changes there will be.

I have been watching availability and checked early this morning and just a few minutes ago and all the sailings  are actually selling fairly quick. I think there is a lot of penned up need and want for cruising. The phone lines for HAL are tied up and they are not even allowing much for wait time and asking to call back later or go to Hollandamerica.com and use the chat feature for questions.

I think this was what Holland America had wanted to happen for the Eurodam in Greece but sadly that is not what happened.

I would not be surprised to see these sailings sold out by the end of the weekend.

One thing I did notice yesterday is that all the sailings offered had the Interior cabins unavailable and the first sailing was only offering Balcony and Suites. Into August they were showing Ocean View available but not the Interior. This leads me to believe that one they are reducing capacity and or...they are trying to sell the more expensive cabins first. But I do think that capacity will be limited and not at 100% although they have not stated.

I noticed that Princess and NCL are selling insides, outsides, everything.  I wonder if they will sail 100% or if they will limit capacity for these first cruises.

12 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

I noticed that Princess and NCL are selling insides, outsides, everything.  I wonder if they will sail 100% or if they will limit capacity for these first cruises.

I just checked the July 25th of Majestic and like early this morning the Interior cabins are closed. Although the August 1st does show Interior cabins available. I am guess that the first sailing will be limited. Majestic does not have Ocean View category. I did not check NCL. 

My guess the first sailings will all be more limited, and they may add more as they get into August and September.

I also saw where HAL will not have the first ship sailing Alaska. Royal Caribbean just announced that Serenade of the Seas will start up July 19th then there very large Ovation of the Seas will start August 13th. I was actually surprised to see they were pushing 2 ships since HAL and Princess that normally has the most ships in Alaska will only have 1 ship each. I am sure with the say I am seeing cabins sold today for HAL they  are wishing they could add another ship but I think a lot has to do with getting Crew vaccinated and trained. Which is why I am surprised with Royal Caribbean. Those are very large ships and they are also pushing Florida sailings for Caribbean which HAL is not or at least at this time.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Well, I did it 😃 I just felt we absolutely needed to be on the first Alaska Cruise for July 24th on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we are already booked for September 4th and have that almost paid in full. We are not canceling that cruise but felt we also had to be on this cruise. And why not, our Nieuw Statendam Amsterdam cruise for July 11th got canceled last week.

I even got really emotional booking this,  I booked the air and transfers from HAL, air prices were actually really good.

If anyone is interested I think I will do one of my Live From threads here on CC. I think it should be lots of fun. 

I welcome your “live from”. And really appreciate you offering!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

If anyone is interested I think I will do one of my Live From threads here on CC. I think it should be lots of fun. 

Am so glad that HAL is able to visit Alaska for at least part of the summer. And great that you'll be going there twice! Looking forward to reading your Live From the Nieuw Amsterdam and seeing it in Juneau. Wish we were leaving Seattle a day after you.

HAL offered to switch us from Oosterdam's July 25 sailing to yours (July 24) but we declined. Had picked the other itinerary because it went to Hubbard. We've been to Glacier Bay before and wanted a new experience. Booked a 2022 Oosterdam Alaskan cruise back in December as a backup. Glad we did but wish we didn't have to use it..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Into August they were showing Ocean View available but not the Interior.

We have family booked in an interior cabin for the September Alaska sailing. We were able to add them to the cruise with the Buy-One-Gift-One deal that was offered months ago. I don't know how many of the interior cabins may already be booked, but at least some interior cabins are booked later in the fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

When I booked a couple hours ago it was slim pickins with the exception of September.  No problems booking a spa inside and had our choice on dining times. 

The website was also having hiccups, but I didn't have to hold too long. 

Book now folks, don't wait!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, atexsix said:

When I booked a couple hours ago it was slim pickins with the exception of September.  No problems booking a spa inside and had our choice on dining times. 

22 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Congratulation on your booking, hoping you can do a live from also.

• Like 1

We're trying to get booked for one of these 7 Day Alaskan Explorer cruises but can't. Not surprising I guess as we need a Fully accessible room for DW. May have to switch it up for one of the later Mexico cruises. 

Ah and yes those have some accessible rooms left!

Edited by Sososailer
Addition

21 hours ago, aliaschief said:

...and good for both of you. Looking forward to your viewpoints.

I will be doing so as well.

Having Alaska citizen relatives, one of whom has been employed part-time in the tourist industry in the past, I am very happy with what will soon take place.

• Like 1

Just booked an obstructed view for September 25.  Because I will be traveling alone, this was a cheaper option.

Alaskan airlines flight fee round trip from LAX to SEATTLE was $288.

Tried to book return to San Diego, but the new rule only covers Alaska.

Anyway, so glad to be booked on a cruise to Alaska.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Congratulation on your booking, hoping you can do a live from also.

Hmmm.  I don't know if people would tune in to read me, whereas Lisa is legendary!  But, I did organize the last M/G on our last sailing and had quite a turnout, 70+ I think, that's pretty good for a HAL sailing.  We'll see if we can do it again! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Hmmm.  I don't know if people would tune in to read me, whereas Lisa is legendary!  But, I did organize the last M/G on our last sailing and had quite a turnout, 70+ I think, that's pretty good for a HAL sailing.  We'll see if we can do it again! 

Never say people won’t tune in to listen to you.

all LIVE threads are great and every single one is appreciated.

If you want to do one, please do so.  Once you get your feet wet, they get easier 😉   We’re all anxious to get a drink of water (aka a LIVE thread) after being in the desert so long 😉 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Hi Lisa,

I will be interested in your" Live From" as our 2 suites are being rebooked on the July 31st sailing.  After spending 2 hours with myTA, mostly on hold, I was told we would automatically be rebooked in the same category as on July 10 with all the amenities and shore excursions transferred to the new booking plus $50pp OBC .  We did get the letter from HAL and TA this evening...finally!  Our 12 year old grand daughter is getting her vaccination next week, so our family cruise will happen...we didn't want to wait another year.  We are very excited, so take good care of the ship!

Karen

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Radbooks said:

I booked today too, but for an August cruise. We can't wait!!

It is a nice feeling after not having something booked for so long.  Since our Hawaii sailing was cancelled a year ago I wondered for a year how long it'd be before stepping onto a ship again.  

Dear Dad and I have been in good moods all day, anybody else daydreaming about happy hour in the Ocean bar, sunrises from the Lido?  Even muster drills have me excited!  (yes that's sarcasm)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

It is a nice feeling after not having something booked for so long.  Since our Hawaii sailing was cancelled a year ago I wondered for a year how long it'd be before stepping onto a ship again.  

Dear Dad and I have been in good moods all day, anybody else daydreaming about happy hour in the Ocean bar, sunrises from the Lido?  Even muster drills have me excited!  (yes that's sarcasm)

All of it has me excited... muster drills are going to be different, I think. It'll be a video you watch and then you go to your station and check in or something like that. Just being on the water will be wonderful and enjoying the beauty of the land and sea. The only problem is it's so short... haven't done a 7 day cruise in a long time!

• Like 1