The Daily for Sunday May 23, 2021

richwmn

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

It is called by many - Victoria Day Weekend.  But, yes, this is Victoria Day eve as the actual day is tomorrow ergo the long weekend 😉 

Yes, we are usually at our cottage in Ontario now attending our annual cottage association meeting (35 cottages). This year it was done via zoom due to COVID. I was posting the Victoria Day picture right before the meeting and by the time it was over and I realized my error, it was too late to edit my ill-timed celebration. I'll just have to post a different one tomorrow! 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

We had a few people doing their fireworks last night... I guess they just couldn’t wait to get matches to fuses.

Sheesh.  I hate fireworks especially late night ones and so do my dogs.

I guess that’s one good thing about our rain and cold temps.  Kept the fireworks away.

We’ll certainly here them tomorrow if it clears up.  Grrr.

• Like 8

Just now, Overhead Fred said:

Yes, we are usually at our cottage in Ontario now attending our annual cottage association meeting (35 cottages). This year it was done via zoom due to COVID. I was posting the Victoria Day picture right before the meeting and by the time it was over and I realized my error, it was too late to edit my ill-timed celebration. I'll just have to post a different one tomorrow! 

Oh no worries.  I was teasing.  It’s nice to see you recognize our holiday ♥️ 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm not surprised to hear the community board is having trouble hiring a lifeguard.  The majority of businesses in the US have help wanted signs out. Every single place I go need staff desperately.  No one wants to work while they are getting government checks.🙁

Hard to understand why unemployed people are not just chomping at the bit to grab a part-time temporary gig as a lifeguard. Didn’t that used to be a teenager in college kind of job? Are they on unemployment too? Just asking. Even our county park system had help wanted posters hanging up. Not getting many nibbles though because park ranger jobs are... you guessed it, seasonal, as needed, and limited benefits. It’s a tough world out there on both sides.

St Louis Sal

• Like 9

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I guess I am more in agreement with your friends. I thought it was great.  Of course, maybe your friends were at the track, and, I agree, being rained on is annoying.   

IMG_7109.jpg.b2807a3647eb5df976ac9c5a87a911e2.jpg

We’ve been watching the Action at COTA today.  I don’t envy the people there including DSIL.  At least, watching from home, we’re dry and warm.

• Like 7

Good afternoon this rainy lazy Victoria weekend day!  So nice to see Roy resuming the celebration list!  And continued thanks to Jacqui for the care list and garden tips!  

We love visiting the turtles on the big island!  The bottom one, Barnacle Bill is 80 plus years! 

0887BF89-1263-4854-85DD-DF0B15688012.jpeg

EA0F34E6-327E-4EDD-93FD-5B709F847D7A.jpeg

B0FB3AEE-F9DE-4B17-82A5-6DA1041A866F.jpeg

E76B95F4-F742-4633-9430-F0F5EB26E5BB.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 17

6 hours ago, atexsix said:

Good morning my fellow damers from the eastern suburbs of Seattle.  Breezy today, with overcast, and quite cool with a high of 60, our infamous "May Gray" is in full swing.  But I'm more of an autumn/winter person anyway, bring on the rain!  Lovely view from my window of fogged in mountains, no paragliders from Poo Poo Point* on this day I'm afraid.

*Poo Poo Point is a bluff on Tiger Mountain that faces west, named for the sound of the steam whistles from the trains below the mountain that have long since vanished.  Spectacular views of Seattle and beyond on clear days.

I will definitely have the Sweet Potato Beef Stew, love comfort food.  Put us down for the Main seating at 8, table for two, unless any of you want to join us, table for 10 maybe?

Some news on our next sailing, we had to cancel the 9/25 to Alaska because of a schedule conflict, but we're rebooked for the 9/4 in a much better located stateroom right next to the outside elevators, this will be far easier on both of us, we don't get around like we used to, I had a stroke last November and lost 40% of my strength, so this trip is a celebration of being a survivor.

@dfish We got one of those dogs across the street, it barks at anything and everything that goes by: people, delivery trucks, birds, leaves; thankfully I have a loud fan for white noise.

@kazu Love the penny cartoon, gave me a good laugh.  I will be heading to the master list next, to change our sailing date.  Thanks again for all your work on that, especially these days, with all the cancellations and changes, I'd be pulling my hair out if I had any.

@richwmn Thanks for the great information. @garlictown completely agree, I don't have good memories of taffy.  The machines always look slow and gooey, is that why they share the same day with turtles?

Tasks for the day: cruise critic, sit with my planner and schedule the week, cruise critic, dishes, more cruise critic, daydream about the Nieuw Amsterdam, maybe a nap, did I mention cruise critic?

Have a great day everybody!

@atexsix  I am thrilled to see you posting on the Daily! We were booked to go to Hawaii on the Eurodam with you, but You Know What Interfered with all those plans. However, reading your news about the stroke game me pause and prompted me to reach out. Your new Alaska booking sounds absolutely terrific and should be quite restorative to the soul. You will bring a lot of positive energy to your Roll Call and will have a grand time. We are not set to sail until May 2022 (Alaska). Until then, I will continue lurking here at the Daily. As you know, all these wonderful people consistently lift the spirits of others with humor and compassion.

Wishing you all the very best.

-Cat

• Like 13

Good afternoon all!

A lazy Sunday here with online church and just staying cool. It’s 91 degrees outside. Oddly enough, I had a taste for beef vegetable soup, so despite the temp, I made a big pot of soup, using my leftover steak. It smells delicious.

I always pick up pennies. I was a deprived child and never had one of those cute turtle habitats (my mother said absolutely not, they smelled and harbored disease ☹️) I do have a resident turtle, I will post a pic. And not a taffy fan; if it’s not chocolate, why bother? Yes, I did try chocolate taffy, no, just no.

The meal suggestion sounds quite good. Rum Punch always reminds me of Mary Poppins. The wine is a winner. 

Have not been to today’s port. I missed Seattle yesterday, but I did go back and look at the pictures of my last visit, June 2019 when we boarded the Noordam. It was the first time the mountain made an appearance while we were boarding. The very first time we visited Seattle we stopped at a Denny’s. My husband went on in while I, thrilled over the view of Mt. Rainier, couldn’t stop taking pictures. When I went in the waitress was waiting for me and I said “I guess you figured out I was a tourist, right?”

Prayers today for all who need them 🙏. An older church friend died this week, she was such a lovely lady, she will be missed. Her only child, a daughter, joined us online for church this morning. My liver transplant friend is having a rough time, has gone back to the hospital with some complications. We don’t always appreciate our good health when we have it. I will raise a glass of red 🍷with my beef vegetable soup this evening and celebrate with you all. The excitement everyone is feeling as cruising restarts is widespread. If I were not in my drug trial and also a little more mobile, I would have jumped to take one of those first Alaskan cruises. Maybe a little farther in the future when my daughters can come along to help out.

St Louis Sal

9D4DDDCD-8AB5-4F3E-BDCD-8FCFB090B385.jpeg

E5CF4E6A-2C8E-4BBC-81D1-4F1EF8BAD8D2.jpeg

• Like 16

To add photos, if I am on my computer I just drag the picture from my photo library on my Mac onto the desktop and then I drag it into the space below with the paper clip,  if I am on one of my other devices I click on Add Files and I get the list of choices, one of which is photo library - from that I can choose whichever photo I want. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Hard to understand why unemployed people are not just chomping at the bit to grab a part-time temporary gig as a lifeguard. Didn’t that used to be a teenager in college kind of job? Are they on unemployment too? Just asking. Even our county park system had help wanted posters hanging up. Not getting many nibbles though because park ranger jobs are... you guessed it, seasonal, as needed, and limited benefits. It’s a tough world out there on both sides.

St Louis Sal

I can only speak for my neighborhood. Businesses offering a living wage or great benefits are not having any difficulty hiring. 

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

An older church friend died this week, she was such a lovely lady, she will be missed. Her only child, a daughter, joined us online for church this morning. My liver transplant friend is having a rough time, has gone back to the hospital with some complications.

So sorry to hear this. condolences on the loss of your friend at church. Prayers for her, her family and you  🙏🏻 and prayers for your friend with the liver transplant back in the hospital 🙏🏻 

• Like 7

I am quite late getting here today.  After church I spent about 3 hours surfing the internet for a small butchers rack or bookshelf to hold my new respiratory vest and its equipment. Finally found the right size at At Home. Will go take a look at it tomorrow.

Roy's meal sounds fantastic as does the wine of the day.

My turtle story. When my son was 8 or 9 he got one of the tiny turtles in the deluxe habitat. He would carry the turtle around quite often, I think to keep it away from his little sister. Dear son put the turtle in his jeans pocket one day and the next day I did laundry. Turtle did not survive the washer and dryer. My son cried saying I murdered his only pet then he wouldn't speak to me for the next week. Lesson learned after that I turned his pockets inside out before doing laundry.

Jane

• Like 10

So I’ve got a question for the Garden Club. I planted yellow Passion Fruit seeds some 5-6 weeks ago in this pot. Only this seedling sprouted, and I’m hoping it’s a Passion Fruit. Its about 3/4” tall and just added another leaf.... and now, I’m starting to wonder if it might be Bind Weed.🤨

EA89CDCB-AFF9-447C-96DE-56226A13CF99.thumb.jpeg.7a407bc91909e59486236f19b9def4ba.jpeg

Any ideas?
The pictures I find online of Passion Fruit seedlings are more mature than this, and the leaves look a little glossy.I’m going to continue to nurture it, and hope it’s a Passion Fruit. 

Just finished installing my sink in my potting bench. I’m ready to use it as soon as the rest of the oil sealer dries- a few more days still.

4E93C1C9-7738-412E-A84E-DE847008B11E.thumb.jpeg.da2b2a5ecdf39574f1ce24db789c2712.jpeg9BFB7320-94D0-45D8-BF8E-CC3A497EE2F4.thumb.jpeg.bd50b8ae7fe57fceaf086bf05cff8c47.jpegE460D49A-56D7-46D7-BB55-4D89F7F2A252.thumb.jpeg.6b6f28222cab07287268b7a7044b2a1d.jpeg

• Like 19

13 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So I’ve got a question for the Garden Club. I planted yellow Passion Fruit seeds some 5-6 weeks ago in this pot. Only this seedling sprouted, and I’m hoping it’s a Passion Fruit. Its about 3/4” tall and just added another leaf.... and now, I’m starting to wonder if it might be Bind Weed.🤨

EA89CDCB-AFF9-447C-96DE-56226A13CF99.thumb.jpeg.7a407bc91909e59486236f19b9def4ba.jpeg

Any ideas?
The pictures I find online of Passion Fruit seedlings are more mature than this, and the leaves look a little glossy.I’m going to continue to nurture it, and hope it’s a Passion Fruit. 

Just finished installing my sink in my potting bench. I’m ready to use it as soon as the rest of the oil sealer dries- a few more days still.

4E93C1C9-7738-412E-A84E-DE847008B11E.thumb.jpeg.da2b2a5ecdf39574f1ce24db789c2712.jpeg9BFB7320-94D0-45D8-BF8E-CC3A497EE2F4.thumb.jpeg.bd50b8ae7fe57fceaf086bf05cff8c47.jpegE460D49A-56D7-46D7-BB55-4D89F7F2A252.thumb.jpeg.6b6f28222cab07287268b7a7044b2a1d.jpeg

Your wood is beautiful!  Great work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

image.jpeg.924666a69993173a060bb2532678dcf5.jpeg

Re:  Seattle - yesterday photo that wouldn’t post.  Sorry, again my photo turned sideways.  It was taken from a city side room at the Edgewater in Seattle.  Probably a third floor room.

We have stayed at the Edgewater many times and find it very pleasant and definitely unique.  Breakfast in the restaurant at a waterside table is incredible. You can see the HAL cruise pier in the distance one way and Mt. Reinier in the other direction when the morning is clear ( not real common). 

I should, however, mention that the hotel closed during much of the covid year and has just recently re-opened. Don’t know if that will affect the experience but it is still a Noble House hotel as it was at my last stay. 

• Like 14

Good afternoon here..evening for a lot of you .

Sun came out a bit ago.  I am back in Vancouver, WA and will do the grandkids drop off and pick up for school again starting tomorrow.  DH stayed on the coast.  Doing some home project and waiting for the arrival of new living room chairs on Tuesday.  

Great set of days.  Never been to the port.  

As always enjoyed reading everyone's news.  Prayers to those on the list and cheers to all.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Any ideas?

What a delightful potting bench!  I had no idea such a thing was possible -- with the sink and all. 

I bet you get a lot of enjoyment out of this project!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1