Which port is the worst?

Trueblueky

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We thought all McDonalds were the same until we found out differently.

In Paris (and yes you do not go to Paris to go to McDonalds) DW needed her coffee fix. She only drinks decaf as caffeine is contraindicated with a medication she takes. (And don't ask me how you can be addicted to decaf when caffeine is the addicting ingredient.) We had been having trouble finding decaf coffee, and said aha McDonalds they are the same world over. And when she tried to order decaf, the young French woman behind the counter said, "Only Normal".😢

One of my "jobs" as the travel leader for our family was knowing where to find bathrooms anywhere in the world :).  In Paris, one of my "go to" bathroom places was the large McDonalds located along the heart of the Champs Elysees.  That was a very large/busy place.  When macarons (cookies made out of meringue) became the rage in Paris you could buy them all over the city and the price was often about 2 Euros per cookie.  But that McDonalds had a bakery counter just outside the main part of their restaurant that sold a huge selection of macarons for only 1 Euro.  It is still the only time I can recall we ever spent any money at the Paris McDonalds :).  It was a lot cheaper then going up the street to Angelina's where a cup of cafe au lait and some cookies could easily cost 25 Euros.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

One of my "jobs" as the travel leader for our family was knowing where to find bathrooms anywhere in the world :).  In Paris, one of my "go to" bathroom places was the large McDonalds located along the heart of the Champs Elysees.  That was a very large/busy place.  When macarons (cookies made out of meringue) became the rage in Paris you could buy them all over the city and the price was often about 2 Euros per cookie.  But that McDonalds had a bakery counter just outside the main part of their restaurant that sold a huge selection of macarons for only 1 Euro.  It is still the only time I can recall we ever spent any money at the Paris McDonalds :).  It was a lot cheaper then going up the street to Angelina's where a cup of cafe au lait and some cookies could easily cost 25 Euros.

Hank

Who would have thought that the famous world traveler Hank would be found in a McDonalds in Paris.😊😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only time we visit a McDonalds is if we're sailing from Southampton, so we go for a bacon sandwich ( or "bacon butty" as it's known in the UK). They use back bacon in a fresh roll, and the price is incredibly cheap, compared to the breakfasts provided in the many hotels around the docks.

Porridge, bacon butty and coffee, and we're fit to cruise.

11 minutes ago, jocap said:

The only time we visit a McDonalds is if we're sailing from Southampton, so we go for a bacon sandwich ( or "bacon butty" as it's known in the UK). They use back bacon in a fresh roll, and the price is incredibly cheap, compared to the breakfasts provided in the many hotels around the docks.

We prefer the Premier Inn all you can eat breakfast! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jocap said:

The local ASDA has a great reputation for good value breakfast.

Entrance is via the lift in the multi-storey carpark opposite the coach station.

Haven't had breakfast at any of the Southampton Premier Inns, but have at other Premier Inns.

Not "budget" like MaccyD or ASDA, but excellent value

JB 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Bull said:

The local ASDA has a great reputation for good value breakfast.

Entrance is via the lift in the multi-storey carpark opposite the coach station.

Haven't had breakfast at any of the Southampton Premier Inns, but have at other Premier Inns.

Not "budget" like MaccyD or ASDA, but excellent value

JB 🙂

Had a Morrisons breakfast last week for £5.  Really excellent,  although no discount for not wanting black pudding!

Our US friends are probably really confused by now!

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Had a Morrisons breakfast last week for £5.  Really excellent,  although no discount for not wanting black pudding!

The only Morrison's I know here in the states was a cafeteria......not sure if they still exist anymore.

There are none around my area but it was a restaurant that was part of my childhood.

We rarely eat at Mcdonalds at home...but have eaten "local" items at various Mcdonalds....

In Padova (near Venice), Italy, we had tiramisu.

In Seoul, South Korea, we had bulgogi burger.

In Bangkok, Thailand, we had noodles.

And of course in Hawaii, we had spam, rice, and eggs for breakfast.

Mcdonalds around the world is not just a restroom stop for us...smile.

21 minutes ago, Lois R said:

The only Morrison's I know here in the states was a cafeteria......not sure if they still exist anymore.

There are none around my area but it was a restaurant that was part of my childhood.

Morrison's is a UK supermarket chain based in Yorkshire. They have yet to make the jump across the Atlantic!

I'm happy to say that my last Big Mac was back in 1967 when I was still in high school.  I swore off all fast food after that, but reneged when I became a Big Brother in 2016 and my "Little" loved Mcd's. When we got lunch there I settled on a "chicken" sandwich.

I couldn't imagine going to a foreign fast food joint, even if it had a different menu.

JMO, YMMV.

Edited by evandbob

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Black pudding, one of my favourites. Drove past one of the local British shops last week, so stopped in for a couple of scotch pies, black pudding & tattie scones. Brilliant.😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

I'm happy to say that my last Big Mac was back in 1967 when I was still in high school.  I swore off all fast food after that, but reneged when I became a Big Brother in 2016 and my "Little" loved Mcd's. When we got lunch there I settled on a "chicken" sandwich.

I couldn't imagine going to a foreign fast food joint, even if it had a different menu.

JMO, YMMV.

My last Big Mac (also perhaps just my second or third) was about then.   I sometimes wonder who has eaten my share of the “billions sold” since .

23 hours ago, wowzz said:

We have a relative who was catering manager in one of the big supermarkets, and she was allowed to take the finest bacon, sausages, black pudding, eggs etc which were coming up to their sell-by dates for the morning rush... She was proud  that she made a better breakfast than the best hotels!

Morrison's fish and chips are the best! 🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wowzz said:

I have had some bad days, but (having tried it once)  have never been confused enough to want black pudding again.

26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have had some bad days, but (having tried it once)  have never been confused enough to want black pudding again.

I wonder if the next food they will recommend is haggis.

48 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

That, too, I have tried once —— and will NEVER want again.

Haggis washed down with a good whisky - fantastic. 

Whisky on its own - even better!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Haggis washed down with a good whisky - fantastic. 

Whisky on its own - even better!

Haggis, neeps & tatties - simply brilliant.😁

Sadly I don't drink whisky any more, so would wash it down with a pint of Heavy.🍺

• Like 1