***CDC gives RCI GO AHEAD to start test cruises in July***

Just now, wolfie11 said:

The CDC has stated that these are to be non-revenue generating cruises.  So theoretically that means no booze sales, no gambling, no shops open, and no specialty restaurants.  I wonder if that's why they're only 3 days...

Maybe then everything is free......free booze. free food

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

You ARE a conspiracy kook.  But do go on...

I'm just curious, you are aware of the scandal embroiling the CDC, WHO, Fauci and that whole kabal?

I mean, feel free to school me on all the success stories from the CDC and the doubtless many times their predictions, models and forecasts were spot it.

Here's an example, the CDC accurately predicted an outdoor transmission rate of ~10%.

..........oh.............wait.............they just revised that to..........<1%, with one study concluding .01%.  

But I'm sure you have plenty of other data ready to embarrass me with.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

So no revenue cruises in July from Florida??

Or anywhere in the US??  Why would Alaska cruises go ahead as booked if there are no required test cruises from wherever they're supposed to cruise Alaska?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

Or anywhere in the US??  Why would Alaska cruises go ahead as booked if there are no required test cruises from wherever they're supposed to cruise Alaska?  

Just because they are selling those cruises, does not mean it is set in stone they will sail.

Royal continues to sell cruises they know won't sail....it's one way for them to attain cash flow. A way of  robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

Just because this is the first to get approval for a test cruise doesn't need it is the only application.

My guess is the Freedom was the first ship with a fully vaccinated crew and they submitted first to try to get a revenue cruise by July 4th. The Serenade is supposedly sailing from Seattle starting July 19th, so my guess is we either see a test cruise approved in the next few days, or this would have to be a 95% vax cruise (not likely)

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Not my idea of good news, as it will cause further delay to restarting cruises to do test cruises.

I assume this is to allow more children, not unvaccinated adults, but who knows.

I would be pleased if they said we are bringing in full crews that will be vaccinated by july to restart in xyz ports. Not that we are doing test cruises. Oh well . .

I feel the exact same. I get it in the past before vaccines existed that test cruises and protocols were how ships would sail. But now that vaccines are in the picture, why not just require it to limit the chances of cases? Why play with fire when there are other options? I sure hope it goes smooth or it will set back cruising  .

P.S.    Doh!  We just cancelled our Freedom August cruise  

Edited by LuCruise
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

3 day cruises prove nothing, why bother. Why not a day trip on a cruiseship, then it would be just about like getting on an airplane.

No chance of covid cases doing it that way.

This whole deal about getting back to cruising again is turning into a real  joke, when will this all END !!

If you look at what has to happen for a successful test cruise, it's all a joke. Nothing on the checklist couldn't be done with just the crew participating.

15 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Just because this is the first to get approval for a test cruise doesn't need it is the only application.

My guess is the Freedom was the first ship with a fully vaccinated crew and they submitted first to try to get a revenue cruise by July 4th. The Serenade is supposedly sailing from Seattle starting July 19th, so my guess is we either see a test cruise approved in the next few days, or this would have to be a 95% vax cruise (not likely)

I think RCI has already said Alaska cruises will be fully vaccinated sailings?  The other US sailings may be unvaccinated/mixed vaccination cruises.  Those will definitely require test sailings because they will not meet the fully vaccinated percentages and full COVID protocols will apply, so they have to be tested.

• Like 1

Just now, harkinmr said:

I think RCI has already said Alaska cruises will be fully vaccinated sailings?  The other US sailings may be unvaccinated/mixed vaccination cruises.  Those will definitely require test sailings because they will not meet the fully vaccinated percentages and full COVID protocols will apply, so they have to be tested.

According to their website, vaccines required for 16+/12+ for the Alaska cruises. So they will have to do test cruises unless they are going to somehow guarantee that under 16 are less than 5%. Now I don't know how many kids go on Alaskan cruises, maybe that isn't an issue?

This is great news all around, what I'm wondering right now is: the disease has 7-15 days incubation period, let's say a week after arrival some patients show symptoms, and contact tracing straight to the ship, wonder what if any protocols the CDC has for this "after-the-fact" scenario. Because now that I think about it, for someone to become COVID positive on board, means they likely were infected before the cruise due to incubation lag. The what-ifs on this are a rabbit hole.

15 minutes ago, coldflame said:

This is great news all around, what I'm wondering right now is: the disease has 7-15 days incubation period, let's say a week after arrival some patients show symptoms, and contact tracing straight to the ship, wonder what if any protocols the CDC has for this "after-the-fact" scenario. Because now that I think about it, for someone to become COVID positive on board, means they likely were infected before the cruise due to incubation lag. The what-ifs on this are a rabbit hole.

That part is mostly covered for unvaccinated guests onboard a simulated cruise:

A cruise ship operator must observe the following requirements relating to laboratory testing of passengers and crew who are not fully vaccinated or do not have documentation of recovery from COVID-19 [1] as part of a simulated voyage:

• Day of Embarkation Testing: testing must be performed by NAAT using one of the following testing instruments and processes with same day results:
      • Previously approved Phase 1 shoreside laboratory, or
      • Previously approved Phase 1 onboard point-of-care equipment, or
      • Other testing instruments and processes approved by CDC
        • Prior to collecting specimens and conducting testing: Cruise ship operators must contact CDC at eocevent349@cdc.gov at least 7 calendar days prior to collecting specimens for approval. Include “Additional Laboratory Screening Testing for Passenger Voyages on [SHIP NAME]” in the subject line as part of your request for CDC approval.
        • CDC’s response to the cruise ship operator’s email may include additional information regarding best practices that may assist cruise ship clinicians or public health staff in collecting and transporting specimens.

• Results must be available prior to boarding the cruise ship. Volunteer passengers who test positive for SARS-CoV-2 should be denied boarding, unless determined to be a persistent positive by cruise ship medical personnel.
  • Day of Disembarkation Testing: testing must be performed by NAAT using one of the following testing instruments and process with same day results:
      • Prior to collecting specimens and conducting testing: Cruise ship operators must contact CDC at eocevent349@cdc.gov at least 7 calendar days prior to collecting specimens for approval. Include “Additional Laboratory Screening Testing for Passenger Voyages on [SHIP NAME]” in the subject line as part of your request for CDC approval.
      • CDC’s response to the cruise ship operator’s email may include additional information regarding best practices that may assist cruise ship clinicians or public health staff in collecting and transporting specimens.
    • Results must be available before the passenger leaves the cruise ship, seaport, or offsite testing location, but specimen collection and testing can occur onboard or shoreside.
  • Post Disembarkation Testing Options: To validate the efficacy of the cruise ship operator’s ability to mitigate the risk of COVID-19 onboard the cruise ship, post disembarkation testing for volunteer passengers is required for simulated voyages.
    • As a condition of receiving a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate, cruise ship operators must have at least 75% of all passengers who are not fully vaccinated provide their post disembarkation specimen to the selected laboratory for COVID-19 testing 3 to 5 days after completion of the simulated voyage. Passengers who are fully vaccinated or who have documentation of recovery from COVID-19 [1] are exempt from post disembarkation testing. CDC may lower the 75% post-disembarkation testing requirement for future simulated voyages based on lessons learned from previous simulated voyages and other factors.
    • The cruise ship operator must in turn report aggregate results to CDC in the after-action report.
    • Cruise ship operators have the option of supplying all volunteer passengers with a self-collected nasal mid-turbinate nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) specimen collection kit to be shipped directly to a laboratory.
      • All volunteer passengers must:
        • Receive education on self-collection technique.
        • Be instructed to collect the specimen 3 to 5 days after completion of the simulated voyage for testing.
        • Be instructed to store and ship the specimen directly to the laboratory within the specifications of the manufacturer.
      • The shoreside laboratory must use a NAAT that has been authorized for emergency use by FDA and that has been evaluated on the FDA reference panel external iconfor SARS-CoV-2 with a limit of detection (LOD) value ≤18,000 NDU/ml. CDC must approve the cruise ship operator’s selection of a CLIA-certified laboratory. All additional requirements as listed for Shoreside COVID-19 Laboratory Screening Testing of All Crew, above, must also be followed.
    • Cruise ship operators can alternatively direct volunteer passengers to obtain a nasopharyngeal (NP) specimen at a shoreside laboratory for SARS-COV-2 testing 3 to 5 days after completion of the simulated voyage for testing.
      • The shoreside laboratory must use a NAAT that has been authorized for emergency use by FDA and that has been evaluated on the FDA reference panel for SARS-CoV-2 with a limit of detection (LOD) value ≤18,000 NDU/ml. CDC must approve the cruise ship operator’s selection of a CLIA-certified laboratory. All additional requirements as listed for Shoreside COVID-19 Laboratory Screening Testing of All Crew, above, must also be followed.
  • Cruise ship operators must conduct laboratory testing of any passengers or crew who report illness consistent with COVID-19 during the simulated voyage (as well as any identified close contacts) using point-of-care equipment and parameters approved by CDC as part of Phase 1 of the CSO. Refer to the Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew for requirements of onboard COVID-19 testing for symptomatic travelers and close contacts.
  • Cruise ship operators must continue to conduct routine screening testing of crew according to the corresponding color-coding interval. Cruise ship operators at their discretion may stagger whole ship crew testing during the corresponding color-coding interval (e.g., weekly, every two weeks, every 28 days). For example, the cruise ship operator may choose to test the same percentage of crew on each day of the week if required to test weekly. To ensure consistency, screening testing must be completed within 4 consecutive days of each color-coding interval and the testing schedule for each crew member should remain the same across all color-coding intervals.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

So once a ship passes its test requirements can it change to another port or does this mean Freedom will do sailings out of Miami this summer?

They fairly recently added the multi-port option. As long as the ship is included in the agreement amount both ports, the way I'm interpreting it, that would be allowable. They couldn't set up port agreements with FLL and MIA then chose to move the ship to PC.

14 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

That part is mostly covered for unvaccinated guests onboard a simulated cruise:

A cruise ship operator must observe the following requirements relating to laboratory testing of passengers and crew who are not fully vaccinated or do not have documentation of recovery from COVID-19 [1] as part of a simulated voyage:

• Day of Embarkation Testing: testing must be performed by NAAT using one of the following testing instruments and processes with same day results:
        • Prior to collecting specimens and conducting testing: Cruise ship operators must contact CDC at eocevent349@cdc.gov at least 7 calendar days prior to collecting specimens for approval. Include “Additional Laboratory Screening Testing for Passenger Voyages on [SHIP NAME]” in the subject line as part of your request for CDC approval.

• Results must be available prior to boarding the cruise ship. Volunteer passengers who test positive for SARS-CoV-2 should be denied boarding, unless determined to be a persistent positive by cruise ship medical personnel.
  • Day of Disembarkation Testing: testing must be performed by NAAT using one of the following testing instruments and process with same day results:
      • Prior to collecting specimens and conducting testing: Cruise ship operators must contact CDC at eocevent349@cdc.gov at least 7 calendar days prior to collecting specimens for approval. Include “Additional Laboratory Screening Testing for Passenger Voyages on [SHIP NAME]” in the subject line as part of your request for CDC approval.
    • Results must be available before the passenger leaves the cruise ship, seaport, or offsite testing location, but specimen collection and testing can occur onboard or shoreside.
  • Post Disembarkation Testing Options: To validate the efficacy of the cruise ship operator’s ability to mitigate the risk of COVID-19 onboard the cruise ship, post disembarkation testing for volunteer passengers is required for simulated voyages.
    • As a condition of receiving a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate, cruise ship operators must have at least 75% of all passengers who are not fully vaccinated provide their post disembarkation specimen to the selected laboratory for COVID-19 testing 3 to 5 days after completion of the simulated voyage. Passengers who are fully vaccinated or who have documentation of recovery from COVID-19 [1] are exempt from post disembarkation testing. CDC may lower the 75% post-disembarkation testing requirement for future simulated voyages based on lessons learned from previous simulated voyages and other factors.
    • The cruise ship operator must in turn report aggregate results to CDC in the after-action report.
    • Cruise ship operators have the option of supplying all volunteer passengers with a self-collected nasal mid-turbinate nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) specimen collection kit to be shipped directly to a laboratory.
      • All volunteer passengers must:
        • Receive education on self-collection technique.
        • Be instructed to collect the specimen 3 to 5 days after completion of the simulated voyage for testing.
        • Be instructed to store and ship the specimen directly to the laboratory within the specifications of the manufacturer.
      • The shoreside laboratory must use a NAAT that has been authorized for emergency use by FDA and that has been evaluated on the FDA reference panel external iconfor SARS-CoV-2 with a limit of detection (LOD) value ≤18,000 NDU/ml. CDC must approve the cruise ship operator’s selection of a CLIA-certified laboratory. All additional requirements as listed for Shoreside COVID-19 Laboratory Screening Testing of All Crew, above, must also be followed.
    • Cruise ship operators can alternatively direct volunteer passengers to obtain a nasopharyngeal (NP) specimen at a shoreside laboratory for SARS-COV-2 testing 3 to 5 days after completion of the simulated voyage for testing.
      • The shoreside laboratory must use a NAAT that has been authorized for emergency use by FDA and that has been evaluated on the FDA reference panel for SARS-CoV-2 with a limit of detection (LOD) value ≤18,000 NDU/ml. CDC must approve the cruise ship operator’s selection of a CLIA-certified laboratory. All additional requirements as listed for Shoreside COVID-19 Laboratory Screening Testing of All Crew, above, must also be followed.
  • Cruise ship operators must conduct laboratory testing of any passengers or crew who report illness consistent with COVID-19 during the simulated voyage (as well as any identified close contacts) using point-of-care equipment and parameters approved by CDC as part of Phase 1 of the CSO. Refer to the Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew for requirements of onboard COVID-19 testing for symptomatic travelers and close contacts.
  • Cruise ship operators must continue to conduct routine screening testing of crew according to the corresponding color-coding interval. Cruise ship operators at their discretion may stagger whole ship crew testing during the corresponding color-coding interval (e.g., weekly, every two weeks, every 28 days). For example, the cruise ship operator may choose to test the same percentage of crew on each day of the week if required to test weekly. To ensure consistency, screening testing must be completed within 4 consecutive days of each color-coding interval and the testing schedule for each crew member should remain the same across all color-coding intervals.

I wonder if a year from now we'll all be shaking our heads at all the hurdles set by the CDC. Other countries' authority have their own set of protections, but nothing close to all these cumbersome steps. This is why I think the CDC should have gone NSO ==> LSO (limited sail order). Basically begin "regular" sailing by limiting capacity and gradually lift caps (say first month 50%, if all goes well, next month 60%, if all goes well, month after that 70% and so on), while maintaining safety protocols on board.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coldflame said:

I wonder if a year from now we'll all be shaking our heads at all the hurdles set by the CDC. Other countries' authority have their own set of protections, but nothing close to all these cumbersome steps. This is why I think the CDC should have gone NSO ==> LSO (limited sail order). Basically begin "regular" sailing by limiting capacity and gradually lift caps (say first month 50%, if all goes well, next month 60%, if all goes well, month after that 70% and so on), while maintaining safety protocols on board.

I haven't really followed any of the European process closely but the UK cruises have 40+ pages of protocols and guidance. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-cruise-ship-travel

• Like 1

So once a ship passes its test requirements can it change to another port or does this mean Freedom will do sailings out of Miami this summer?

Correction to my prior post. According to this bullet, the simulated cruise would have to dock at both (or all) US ports if they had entered an agreement with one ship using multiple ports. Since this cruise is only two nights long that seems highly unlikely.

Requirements Relating to the General Components of a Simulation and Simulated Activities

• If the cruise ship operator has entered into a Phase 2A agreement with the port or local health authority of more than one port and the cruise ship operator intends for the ship to dock at more than one U.S. port during restricted passenger voyages, then the simulated voyage(s) must include each U.S. port.
  • Like 1

There is lots of talk here about cruises out of Florida but what about Texas?  Any chance Galveston in July will be a go?  Been waiting to book hotel and plane tickets hoping for RC information but it is not forthcoming. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, imola said:

There is lots of talk here about cruises out of Florida but what about Texas?  Any chance Galveston in July will be a go?  Been waiting to book hotel and plane tickets hoping for RC information but it is not forthcoming. 

I wouldn't book either one yet, unless the hotel is refundable. And you are booking something like SWA which you can use for flights in the near future, or refundable airfare. Things are moving quickly, but July is still looking really iffy, and there has been no mention of Galveston. :classic_smile:

And I should add. We have refundable hotels set up for future cruises Dec./Feb. Other things purchased, but we are waiting on flights. And we are vaxxed, as are many Californians, so that is not a concern. 

Edited by Coralc

2 minutes ago, jndsilver31 said:

rci has said alaska cruises are vaxed cruises only. no vaccine, no cruise

Half true, RCL has stated that 12+ vaccines are required. They never said under 12 can't sail.

If you go to the website right now and try to book an Aug Alaska cruise, it says "This sailing requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for guests age 12 and older."

I agree I wasn't happy yesterday to hear about these test cruises.     I understand families want to travel but they are saying that later this year the vaccines should be approved for children of all ages to get so let us cruise now Royal with the 95/98% rule and the kiddos that are more than 5% can sail during the holidays, etc. etc.   

Hey I am a family person have 2 sons of my own, don't get me wrong.

There are two different paths that will be taken that are exclusive of each other.  Path one,  which is the quickest way back to cruising will be under the provision that 98% of crew and 95% of cruisers are vaccinated.   The second path, which will take a little longer involves the test cruises.   Once the test cruises are taken and the results are okayed by the CDC, then those revenue cruises can resume on those individual ships that have passed the test by the CDC.  The time between test cruise and approval was originally 60 days, but I believe has been reduced to as low as 5.  

The test cruises allow the cruise lines to sail with over 5% unvaccinated cruisers.  This allows for the under 12 crowd to cruise with no number as a limit. The test cruises could open the door for unvaccinated adults to cruise as well, but that decision would be left up to the individual cruise line. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The test cruises allow the cruise lines to sail with over 5% unvaccinated cruisers.  This allows for the under 12 crowd to cruise with no number as a limit. The test cruises could open the door for unvaccinated adults to cruise as well, but that decision would be left up to the individual cruise line. 

Except the test cruises are restricted to age 18+ . Which I find odd, because there will be no children onboard to test the protocols. (not that I have any. :classic_rolleyes: )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

If you look at what has to happen for a successful test cruise, it's all a joke. Nothing on the checklist couldn't be done with just the crew participating.

Good point.  Would be easiest to just use crew members from other ships as test passengers.  Also, are they allowed to ask vaccine status or not when sailing out of Florida?  I’m confused as to how that all played out.  

2 hours ago, torpeedo said:

Test cruises for the Alaska cruises are not needed if the crew are 98% vaccinated and cruisers are 95% vaccinated.