An Issue with Celebrity’s Plan?

ATLfuzzy

13 minutes ago, kearney said:

I know...but I would have thought that if documentation was required...it would be in the cruise contract...wouldn't it?

I think it is in the terms and conditions for the Bahamas sailings. I know someone going and they had to include data for the Bahamas travel visa AND they were told to bring their CDC card with them (no photo verification allowed). I expect that if there is any vaccine requirement for other US sailings, documentation will be expected. 

Edited by harkinmr

4 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I think it is in the terms and conditions for the Bahamas sailings. I know someone going and they had to include data for the Bahamas travel visa AND they were told to bring their CDC card with them (no photo verification allowed). I expect that if there is any vaccine requirement for other US sailings, documentation will be expected. 

Perhaps once we learn more about the outcome from mediation...the cruise lines may have to go to court to get Florida's law as it applies to this industry...either tossed or get an injunction so that they can start up cruising... not sure how else this get resolved... quickly..to allow July sailings to begin

Just now, kearney said:

Perhaps once we learn more about the outcome from mediation...the cruise lines may have to go to court to get Florida's law as it applies to this industry...either tossed or get an injunction so that they can start up cruising... not sure how else this get resolved... quickly..to allow July sailings to begin

It’s too bad if it comes to having a legal battle with Florida over this. If so, there goes not just July and August, but maybe September or beyond. The wheels of justice move notoriously slow. But at least we will know where the blame lays. 

10 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

It’s too bad if it comes to having a legal battle with Florida over this. If so, there goes not just July and August, but maybe September or beyond. The wheels of justice move notoriously slow. But at least we will know where the blame lays. 

Even if it comes down to a legal battle I don't think thats stopping anything...the cruise lines I believe are full steam ahead. It's not like DeSantis is going to stop cruises from going out and the cruise lines from sailing....that would be political suicide. Worst case nothing get's resolved...cruise lines sail requiring proof of vaccine and get fined and it will end up probably going all the way to the Supreme Court. I really don't think DeSantis wants to take that risk. 

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Even if it comes down to a legal battle I don't think thats stopping anything...the cruise lines I believe are full steam ahead. It's not like DeSantis is going to stop cruises from going out and the cruise lines from sailing....that would be political suicide. Worst case nothing get's resolved...cruise lines sail requiring proof of vaccine and get fined and it will end up probably going all the way to the Supreme Court. I really don't think DeSantis wants to take that risk. 

Good points. 

24 minutes ago, kearney said:

The current mediation has nothing to do with the Florida law.  The court ordered mediation is about Florida challenging the CDC's power to regulate the cruise industry due to the pandemic.

3 minutes ago, nocl said:

The current mediation has nothing to do with the Florida law.  The court ordered mediation is about Florida challenging the CDC's power to regulate the cruise industry due to the pandemic.

No but before opening up a can of worms...they may want to see what happens here before starting up their own legal action...that is all I meant.

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

No but before opening up a can of worms...they may want to see what happens here before starting up their own legal action...that is all I meant.

I agree there that Florida has no reason to find an exception to there Vaccination law, until the mediation ends and/or they lose the case.

35 minutes ago, kearney said:

It would be nice if all parties lowered the temperature on the issue and just discretely allowed things to move forward with proof of vaccination.  I’m sure people in Alaska might feel the same way about vaccine passports but also recognize economic reality and it was amazing how the Alaska delegation shepherded through legislation to suspend the PVSA.  They did it by being discrete and not raising any controversy.  Let’s see if there is a diplomatic way out of the situation in Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kearney said:

Probably the fastest face saving move would be the the Governor during close door discussionsto get the cruise lines or CLIA to seek an injunction indicating that the Florida law does not apply to cruise ships.  Have the state attorney General not oppose it.  That way he could say that he did what he could but the courts ruled against it.

59 minutes ago, matadams4u said:

It would be nice if all parties lowered the temperature on the issue and just discretely allowed things to move forward with proof of vaccination.  I’m sure people in Alaska might feel the same way about vaccine passports but also recognize economic reality and it was amazing how the Alaska delegation shepherded through legislation to suspend the PVSA.  They did it by being discrete and not raising any controversy.  Let’s see if there is a diplomatic way out of the situation in Florida.

The one thing that stopped the Alaska legislation was the Senator from Washington.  But they dropped their opposition after the cruise lines came out and said that they would require vaccination.

Can not say for sure if that was the reason they changed their stance, but the timing was interesting.

They will reach some kind of compromise in Florida,  The cruise lines really can't afford to lose Florida, and conversly, Florida can't afford to lose the cruise lines because of all the people  and businesses that depend on the cruise lines and passengers.

13 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

They will reach some kind of compromise in Florida,  The cruise lines really can't afford to lose Florida, and conversly, Florida can't afford to lose the cruise lines because of all the people  and businesses that depend on the cruise lines and passengers.

Now lets say the Governor decides not to enforce the law against cruise ships.  How long do you think it would be before another business is Florida decides to sue over selective enforcement.

2 hours ago, nocl said:

Probably the fastest face saving move would be the the Governor during close door discussionsto get the cruise lines or CLIA to seek an injunction indicating that the Florida law does not apply to cruise ships.  Have the state attorney General not oppose it.  That way he could say that he did what he could but the courts ruled against it.

Hopefully this doesn't surprise you.  I've been telling you this for several days.

15 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I'm enjoying seeing his feet held to the fire, and would particularly like to see him eat crow on this one.

Don't hold your breath.  Look at the bigger national picture. The only point here IMO is that the Governor is doing this for national attention and publicity.  Any attention helps his name recognition nationally.  Any attention good or bad, it doesn't matter.  Suing the CDC?  Blocking vaccine passports?  Preventing businesses from requiring vaccines? All of this plays to issues important to his presumed national base outside FL.  Within FL he will reach a compromise with the cruise industry and cruises will go.  But it will appear outside of FL that he tried to represent his base.  I agree with ipee that this gets resolved long before the first cruise scheduled out of a FL port.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Kind of off topic but has Celebrity stated what the capacity limit will be initially on the Edge? It may have been posted somewhere but I missed it. 

Not that I know that they officially stated...but they have all interiors and ocean views blocked till Sept.

Wait till Disney gets in the picture and requires everyone of proper age to be vaccinated.  DeSantis will fold; and he should have never been involved with this issue to start with;  We feel so sorry for all of the workers of every profession in all of the ports in Florida who have waited for so long to start  sailing again.

• Like 1