The Daily for Saturday Jun 05, 2021

richwmn

Today is Hot Air Balloon Day, National Trails Day, and World Environment Day

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

Meal suggestion for today - Olive-and-Spice-Rubbed Leg of Lamb

Drink of the Day - Cranberry Mimosas

Wine of the day - Estancia Meritage - California - Red

Port of the Day - Saint Pierre and Miquelon

At Sea English Channel
Oosterdam Destination Scheveningen NL eta 6/6

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifting off California
Noordam Destination Los Angeles

Bahamas
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0605Europe.thumb.png.e14d941146613336f3d705fd224bf179.png

0605USA.thumb.png.d349b3dc60e80cf6e1fa46c111143d23.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I like watching hot air balloons but have no desire to get in one.  I have some favorite trails I walk regularly but my favorite "trail" is a nice promenade deck.  Every day should be World Environment Day.  The Marx quote is especially appropriate for computer issues.  I have not been to St. Pierre and Miquelon but was booked there once on the Crystal Symphony.  We were unable to get a "bite" with our anchor.  It was a round trip from Montreal and the stop was to satisfy the requirements of Canada's equivalent of the PVSA.  We did send a tender ashore to do the necessary paperwork to make it a legal cruise.  The meal sounds great.  My alternative is Pinnacle Caesar Salad, Petit Filet, and Baked Alaska as enjoyed on MS Prinsendam June 5, 2015.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Nieuw Amsterdam loading up with additional vaccinated crew

Anniversary cruise booked for Copper10_8

My cousin in Saskatchewan fully vaccinated

Truth and Reconciliation commission for Canadian Residential Schools

Cherished memories of Ger_77's uncle

Celebrating the life of Ron, NextOne DH

3 weeks for me at home

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 36
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning. The rainy season has finally arrived here. We have a beautifule blue-sky morninng with afternoon showers in the forecast. The lamb for dinner sounds great. I agree with Roy that every day should be World Environment Day. 

• Like 20

Good morning, everyone.   

I would go in a hot air balloon in a heartbeat.   I went once for a fly over of Letchworth State Park in New York.   If you've ever seen the show Arial America, it is kind of like that.   Our favorite trail is in Acadia National Park when we visit Bar Harbor on a HAL cruise.   And, yes, every day should be environment day.  Let's all pick one thing we can do that helps the environment.

Today's meal sounds good, although I am not a big fan of lamb.  It has to be spiced right and cooked well.   Given the choice, I'd probably pick Roy's meal. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/olive-and-spice-rubbed-leg-of-lamb-recipe-1973032

Olive and spice rubbed leg of lamb.jpeg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Great collection of days - especially Environment Day.  I’m with Roy, Environment Day should be every day.

Love the Groucho quote.  I joke all the time that we need a child to show us some of the computer / Ipad /Smart phone tricks 😉 

7B15B2D4-4874-4B22-8102-0E04F0A34590.gif.54472f85d55b6ac7793bd1dceddc7b81.gif

Yum on the meal suggestion for the day.  DH loves lamb.  None in the fridge or freezer, sadly.

I’m afraid I am getting a bit thin skinned when it comes to CC these days and starting to feel like no good deed goes unpunished. 😡 Thank heavens for this thread where people are congenial and don’t try to blame or dump on others 👍  (and humour & wine 😉 )

102905A3-71E0-4D4C-8295-7F2100ECB473.jpeg.a2e8a7928a2a19dddc624a992173ac39.jpeg

Today’s port is on our bucket list.  We were planning a trip when covid hit and hope to get there when covid is over.  

Today’s Care List:

• Welfare of furloughed crews
  • Garlictown recovery from arm surgery and wrist cast
  • StLouisCruisers’s DS, Nancy with little chance of survival and needs our prayers, sad death of the twins & DB’s struggle for pending heart surgery
  • St. Louis Sal’s drug trial & weakness in legs & wrists and injured tail bone from fall
  • Mary229’s 2 sisters with lymphoma.
  • NextOne’s loss of her DH, Ron
  • bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
  • smitty34877’s Tana fever returning
  • The souls of the 215+ indigenous children found at Kamloops Indian Residential School.
  • ger_77’s favourite uncle sad death due to covid

Prayers for them all

Garden Club participants - for those that are fighting the deer, I have discovered two plants they seem to be leaving alone (so far) not listed in any books.  Cannas & diplandenia.  They are outside my fenced area and so far so good. 

Prayers for those on the Care list which is getting sadder daily & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

AF1702DC-DEC4-48D3-8B74-D2B86EBE660F.thumb.jpeg.8af61beceb1f295ec2be73da090be0b0.jpeg

Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m afraid I am getting a bit thin skinned when it comes to CC these days and starting to feel like no good deed goes unpunished. 😡 Thank heavens for this thread where people are congenial and don’t try to blame or dump on others 👍  (and humour & wine 😉 )

I hear you.   Many of the other threads are scary places to go.   Sometimes I read them for the "entertainment" value, which can border on a horror show.   Most of the time it is scroll on by.   We do appreciate  your good deeds here on the Daily.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Warm and windy here today.  A good day to do laundry and hang it out to dry, so that's what I'll do.🙂

An interesting collection of days.  And I agree, every day should be Environment Day.

Love Groucho.

I'd love the meal suggestion, but unfortunately we don't have any lamb in the freezer.  I hope to make a trip to the butcher some day soon and get some.  So, instead, we'll grill a steak.  I made potato salad the other day and there are still a couple of rhubarb squares left.  Oh, and wine of course.

Sending prayers and hugs to all on the Care List.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Good morning friends.  Thanks to all of you for everything you do to make this a safe place to visit every day.❤️

I am going to try to remain busy today so I've already exercised, eaten breakfast and plan to get outside to tidy up the shrubs with DH.  

I have never been to Saint Pierre and Miquelon so it should be interesting to see photos.  I've also never seen it on the itinerary of any cruise.  Maybe I should look harder.  Sounds intriguing.

• Like 24

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

I hear you.   Many of the other threads are scary places to go.   Sometimes I read them for the "entertainment" value, which can border on a horror show.   Most of the time it is scroll on by.   We do appreciate  your good deeds here on the Daily.

Ahh, thanks 🙂.  Seems my other good deeds yesterday were not - even casting blame on me for something I didn’t do at all not to mention the vitriol on some threads.  I’ll just stay here and on my roll calls and garden today 😉 

• Like 28

Good  morning  and  thanks  to all  for  the  Daily and  perhaps  the  only  place  one  is  safe on  the  internet.   As  others  have  stated,  every  day  should  be  World  Environment  Day. The   Groucho  quote  is  a  good  one  as  we  continue  to  rely  on  younger  folks  to  help  us  with  technology. My DSIL is  helping  us  "cut"  the  cable  cord  next  week. DH  is  rather  anxious  but  I  am  sure  all  will  be  well.

I  would  ride  a  hot  air  balloon if  given  the  opportunity  and  enjoy  walking  on  trails  when  possible. I  take  Fred  the  fearless  cockapoo  walking  in a  pretty  Hudson  River  town  that  is  just  wonderful. It  has  streams, a  small  lake  and  views  of  the  river. It  is  a  shady  place  as  well  and  might  be  the  best  walking  option  for  today as  the  heat  and  humidity  is  here  in  full  force. It  feels  like  NY  in  August!

Cheers  for  the  celebrants  and  ongoing prayers   for  all  those  in  need.

I  await  pictures  of  this  port. I  looked  it  up  and  it  looks  lovely.

Terry

• Like 25

16 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I've also never seen it on the itinerary of any cruise. 

It is on some itineraries.  Not many.  Usually the itineraries where I found it included ports in Newfoundland which would be wonderful as well.

• Like 16

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  There are a few trails on the cape that I enjoy walking.  I’m not a big fan of lamb but I thoroughly enjoy the lamb dish served in the Tamarind.  The youngest of the herd decided to try and go fishing in DH’s tank.  She got herself a bit more wet than expected!😂. Our temperatures will start ticking up today and we may have a heatwave on our hands.  Today I’ll visit one of the local rescues as they have cat items for sale.

• Like 23

I've only been in a hot air balloon once and although I do not care for heights I did love the experience.  I was on a land tour of Australia and one day one of the optional tours was a Hot Air Balloon ride over the outback of Australia.  They got us up like 4 in the morning and then drove us out into the outback where we helped them set up the balloon.  We all climbed in the oversized basket and took off,  gently floating over the outback watching the kangaroos and other wildlife below.  The flight was only about an hour but it was just so peaceful floating along.  When we landed we helped pack up the balloon again and they prepared a champagne brunch for us out there in the middle of the outback.  I was surprised, the heights did not bother me at all.  It was a great tour.

• Like 28

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report Rich.  I’ve always wanted to go for a hot air balloon ride, during the Covid lockdown we found a great new trail at Appleton Farm in Ipswich that’s become a favorite.  Maybe I’ll plant something today to help the environment.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds nice although we’re not big lamb eaters, we didn’t grow up with it so that’s probably why.  Groucho was so right, leave the technical stuff to 5 year olds.  Thanks everyone for making this such an enjoyable place to visit each day.  Good manners are so important and the dailyites seem to possess them.  Prayers to everyone on the prayer list especially StLouisCruisers who has so much on her plate.  Cheers to everyone with a celebration today I raise my cranberry mimosa to you!🥂

• Like 22

I heard about 20 minutes ago from my nieces that their Mother passed away last night just before midnight.  She went to be with those babies I'm betting.  The girls were notified ahead of time and made it to the hospice in time to be with her.  

My DS is finally at peace and with her loved ones in heaven.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I heard about 20 minutes ago from my nieces that their Mother passed away last night just before midnight.  She went to be with those babies I'm betting.  The girls were notified ahead of time and made it to the hospice in time to be with her.  

So sorry to hear this, hope memories of your visit last week bring you comfort 🙏

• Like 14

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful trio of days. I need to go looking for my hot air balloon pictures from the Albuquerque Balloon festival.  I believe I have some digital ones. I  will post, if I do. I have never been on one, but I would love to do it. How appropriate that World Environment Day falls on the same day as National Trails Day. I think one of my favorite trails is the trail to Tower Rocks in New Mexico. You wander through narrow rock walls,

633EB07C-94C1-4214-8D6D-900D233A927D.thumb.jpeg.8ca07a723e9b632d9909cc68b58d715a.jpeg

climb up fallen rocks, 

5EB7A7D7-F265-4372-A626-1F3E83472EB6.thumb.jpeg.990a3f92ed0dbd51c7327ce2cab96815.jpeg

and then you see the towers.

688D3E53-48DD-410C-868D-59553002E772.jpeg.055264dd423edec7036a7d042755dadb.jpeg

Sorry, the first two pics would not allow me to resize them. Quick, I need a five year old child!

Thank you for our lists Jacqui & Roy! Jacqui there are some people who are only satisfied (note I did not say happy, because these folk do not know true happiness), when they attempt to destroy other people’s happiness. Do NOT give them a second thought. Scroll on.  Love all that you do for us. Morning Dailyites and my Sisters. @StLouisCruisers, I did not comment on your “downer” comment yesterday, but just in case you were even a tiny bit serious - remember all those amazing pictures and info you shared on the Daily that helped raise our spirits? Good, because your sharing this sad and difficult time with us, is our chance to show how much we appreciate & care about you! 

Great Groucho quote. I know I would love the drink du jour. Not a lamb fan. A semi quiet day for me. An early Zumba class. If the humidity holds off, Bindi and I will get a decent walk in. Perhaps some gardening. We had a few more showers yesterday. And the hummingbirds have found my Pentas! And Bindi and I interrupted a meeting of three red cardinals on the street next to ours. I suspect that the two smaller ones were just learning to fly because they were walking a lot, and Dad was flying around them & encouraging them. And my adventure in Wild Kingdom continues - my neighborhood watch captain, who lives three houses from me, let me know that their Ring camera captured the bear on their front walkway between 5 & 6 a.m. yesterday morning. She knows how early Bindi and I are out in the morning. Life is so exciting!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Today’s wine hails from San Luis Obispo County and has very good to excellent ratings. I chose the 2017 vintage because it was more available. I found several online distributors with prices starting at $19.89.

Winemaker Notes

The 2017 Meritage expresses the true terroir of Paso Robles. A firm, tannic backbone from Petit Verdot, sweet cherry and chocolate aromas along with structure from Cabernet Sauvignon, and a rich round texture from Merlot all come together to create a classic blend. 

WE RATING 90: Crumpled purple flowers, elderberry and pencil shavings make for a focused, linear nose on this blend of 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 16% Merlot, 6% Petit Verdot and 6% Malbec. The palate is also very focused and floral, showing black plum as well as lilac, violet and lavender flavors.  

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

❤️

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

So sorry for the loss.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this time of sorrow.

• Like 15

There was a lot of discussion in another CC forum about whether Saint Pierre et Miquelon could be used to satisfy the PVSA requirement in New England cruises while cruise ships were barred from Canadian ports. It was only an academic question at the time, because the islands are part of France, and France was also closed to cruise ships, but it was reported that there is a way to approach Saint Pierre directly from international waters.

Meritage is a made-up name for a Bordeaux-style red blend. An association, the Meritage Alliance,  owns the trademark. A few wineries here in the Finger Lakes also make a Meritage.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1