Just rebooked. Onboard packages skyrocketed!

17 hours ago, cbaker1974 said:

I think you are going to see this across the board on most cruise lines up front - they all lost a ton of money and were walking a tightrope to avoid bankruptcy so they had to go into a ton of debt since they didn't get government bailout help -  that is going to make it tougher than normal to turn a profit or break even due to the debt costs.  Raising prices helps fix that if people are willing to pay - ultimately competition will bring these prices down (people are only willing to pay so much, and if the packages don't sell, or if the ships are sailing with empty berths because of high costs then they will adjust).  But for now with so much pent up demand, they are going to try and get as much as they can.  If they can help offset some of those losses then they can resume ship upgrades and new builds/features, which is what ultimately makes the experience better...I don't really fault them for trying.  We can always vote with our feet if we as customers don't like it...there's tons of other vacation options available 

Cruise line greed - love it!

9 hours ago, bgoff60 said:

First world problem - really!

Totally. People will boast of paying $5000 for a suite and then complain that the beverage package went up by $50. Same mentality as people who'll pay $8 for a cup of coffee and then b**** that gas prices went up by $0.50. 🤣 Cruising is a leisure activity and it's all paid for with disposable income. Besides, nobody seriously expected cruising to be cheap after 15 months being shut down.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Am I to understand that your cruise planner purchases from Indy or Navigator didn't move with you? If so that's not right.

Yep, same dates, same itinerary, different ship.  All purchases canceled and will eventually be refunded to my credit card.  Now must repurchase everything and as I mentioned, at a ridiculous price increase and unlike those who are on some of the sailings that have been given a new ship, those of us on the earliest sailing will not likely see any sort of sale before we leave.  No OBC for the 'inconvenience' either.  Not that it would even begin to touch the additional $1000 I'd have to pay to get the same things I already had.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Totally. People will boast of paying $5000 for a suite and then complain that the beverage package went up by $50. Same mentality as people who'll pay $8 for a cup of coffee and then b**** that gas prices went up by $0.50. 🤣 Cruising is a leisure activity and it's all paid for with disposable income. Besides, nobody seriously expected cruising to be cheap after 15 months being shut down.

So I'm not someone who has a huge budget. I am extremely frugal at home--I rarely dine out, don't hit Starbucks or other places like that, don't buy fancy clothes.  I save my money and use it to try and go on a nice vacation once per year.  I was able to use some FCC a cruise last year that was canceled in order to get a good deal on a cruise on Brilliance for this July. That cruise was changed and they bumped us to Indy, but with different stateroom because there wasn't the same category. I stalked the site and got price drops. I stalked the site and grabbed the best deals on the cruise planner and was very proud of scoring some things I normally wouldn't be able to get (like the beach club for $39 per person!).  I was able to find flights using our flight credit on American from the prior canceled cruise without having to pay too much additional (coach).  I searched and searched and found the best deal and used points for pre-cruise hotel.  Now we have been moved to Odyssey which I know is a great ship and that's exciting (if it really actually sails).  So, for me this might be a 'first world problem' and I do realize that.  But I also have every right to be disappointed and frankly a bit ticked off that I won't be able to rebook the same things I had when the only thing that has changed is the ship. To have things be at least double in price and sometimes quadruple is unreasonable when they know we won't be able to wait it out for some sort of 'sale' and no OBC was offered to help soften the massive increase of cruise planner items.   

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

My brother lives fairly close to Banff, Alberta,  so his place is a popular visiting spot for the rest of the family who are all in Ontario. Its wonderful out there but if you go, try not to go in August as that's forest fire month and the smoke can ruin the sights. 

Thanks - that's good to know.

30 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I guess you are no longer needing to L&S any of your canceled cruises then are you..............You are just paying current prices now? You are okay with that right, you know it's been 15 months since the cruiselines have sailed? Seriously just pay it and be happy you are cruising?

14 hours ago, rockmom said:

For those of us who just got moved from Indy to Odyssey the 2 device package is $35.  I had it for $18 on Indy.  So it's pretty much doubled. 

Memorial Day saw some decent reductions.  Hopefully 4 of July will be even better. 🙂 

1 minute ago, rockmom said:

So I'm not someone who has a huge budget. I am extremely frugal at home--I rarely dine out, don't hit Starbucks or other places like that, don't buy fancy clothes.  I save my money and use it to try and go on a nice vacation once per year.  I was able to use some FCC a cruise last year that was canceled in order to get a good deal on a cruise on Brilliance for this July. That cruise was changed and they bumped us to Indy, but with different stateroom because there wasn't the same category. I stalked the site and got price drops. I stalked the site and grabbed the best deals on the cruise planner and was very proud of scoring some things I normally wouldn't be able to get (like the beach club for $39 per person!).  I was able to find flights using our flight credit on American from the prior canceled cruise without having to pay too much additional (coach).  I searched and searched and found the best deal and used points for pre-cruise hotel.  Now we have been moved to Odyssey which I know is a great ship and that's exciting (if it really actually sails).  So, for me this might be a 'first world problem' and I do realize that.  But I also have every right to be disappointed and frankly a bit ticked off that I won't be able to rebook the same things I had when the only thing that has changed is the ship. To have things be at least double in price and sometimes quadruple is unreasonable when they know we won't be able to wait it out for some sort of 'sale' and no OBC was offered to help soften the massive increase of cruise planner items.   

My comment was not directed at frugal types like you. I read threads on here every day and the vast majority of people seem to have money to burn, and often mention they only stay in GS or JS cabins that are anything but cheap. I see lots of people on the NCL boards who only stay in the Haven which costs at least $4,000pp. Too much for me!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Memorial Day saw some decent reductions.  Hopefully 4 of July will be even better. 🙂 

Well, we sail on July 3rd, so cutoff to buy will be June 30th I think. 😕 

1 hour ago, mek said:

That is probably true, but I never buy the beverage or internet package, so I don't care what the cruise lines charge for them.

I love X and Princess, but not sure I want to pay more for an all inclusive cruise.

We buy the drink package, internet and pay the auto gratuity. If all things are equal in the end we would choose Princess and Celebrity over Royal Caribbean for overall all dining and service experiences.

1 hour ago, mek said:

I love X and Princess, but not sure I want to pay more for an all inclusive cruise.

On Princess you pay 40 bucks for their package. After factoring out the 14.50 for grats, you pay 25.50 for the drink package and wifi.

16 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

You sure that 82 isnt with internet too? Sometimes you read it quick and its also with internet

I can't speak for their sailing, but my sailing price of 84.00 pp August 2022 is WITHOUT internet.

18 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Well, we sail on July 3rd, so cutoff to buy will be June 30th I think. 😕 

Oh man that sucks!  Hopefully, for your sake,  there'll be another sale before July 4th.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

On Princess you pay 40 bucks for their package. After factoring out the 14.50 for grats, you pay 25.50 for the drink package and wifi.

I just compared my August Alaska cruise on Royal to a comparable cruise on Princess. Princess is substantially higher! Even when factoring in Princesses all in pricing.  I'm not saying Royal is better just that the all in pricing of Princess doesn't offer a better deal overall.

14 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I just compared my August Alaska cruise on Royal to a comparable cruise on Princess. Princess is substantially higher! Even when factoring in Princesses all in pricing.  I'm not saying Royal is better just that the all in pricing of Princess doesn't offer a better deal overall.

But you get what you pay for and Princess has the reputation of being the best line to cruise to Alaska.  If you're  pricing comparing it really should be at the same time as well, not what you paid 6 months ago versus what the price is now on the competition. Plus you need to factor in the all inclusive aspect.  If Princess is 40 a day for drinks, grats and wifi, what is the per day cost on Royal to add that to your fare, 80?, 90?  You always need to compare an apple to an apple.

20 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Watch for sales, July 4th, Labor Day, long time RCL cruisers I’m sure will chime in. 

a recent sail, I bought the drink package for $58 a day, plus grats..Allure in Sept. 

Definitely keeping a close watch on prices for our September cruise and the others thereafter.    Hopefully they will improve but if they see people are buying at the high prices they may not

Prices always go up and down, my current allure November cruise drink package keeps changing from 50 to 68 a day back and forth , dinning plan is about 200 for 8 nights , I think that’s pretty good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

We buy the drink package, internet and pay the auto gratuity. If all things are equal in the end we would choose Princess and Celebrity over Royal Caribbean for overall all dining and service experiences.

I totally agree unless it is an Oasis class ship - I book those for the entertainment options that none of the other lines offer, but all things equal, I would go on Princess or X any day over Royal.

Edited by mek

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

But you get what you pay for and Princess has the reputation of being the best line to cruise to Alaska.  If you're  pricing comparing it really should be at the same time as well, not what you paid 6 months ago versus what the price is now on the competition. Plus you need to factor in the all inclusive aspect.  If Princess is 40 a day for drinks, grats and wifi, what is the per day cost on Royal to add that to your fare, 80?, 90?  You always need to compare an apple to an apple.

I think I’m comparing apples to apples. I only booked this cruise when they released the new Alaska itineraries a couple weeks ago. I also factored in tips and drinks. I’m still substantially better than Princess. I realize, at this point,  I’m one of the lucky ones with a $47 price DBP. My Liberty cruise in Dec isn’t bad either. However, my Odyssey cruise in Feb is high and hasn’t come down much even during the sale week. 

I agree you have to watch, watch, watch. Found the DBP for our April 2022 cruise two weeks ago at $47 and jumped. Havent seen it below $60 before that.

Basic economics, even though it may be unpopular... There will be people buying the higher package price, so why not offer it?

19 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Royal's way of getting money back for each sailing, change your ship, cancel  your cruise planner items from old ship.....................Now rebook those same cruise planner items. This is their way of off setting all those L& S's and FCC 125%.

You think they are dumb?, they know what they are doing.

I always hear this argument that somehow the FCCs were this grand conspiracy to raise prices. Being shut down for a year, recouping those losses, and capitalizing on huge pent-up demand make offering FCCs to keep cash flow coming in and people to stick with a brand, small potatoes.

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Princess is known for their Alaska itineraries and their prices always skewed higher even before the pandemic.  

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1