How much could Royal charge for the Covid tests and you would still sail and pay it?

Royal to charge for Covid Test: How much will you pay?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How much could Royal charge for the Covid tests and you would still sail and pay it?

• I would cancel before paying anything
    • $50 ($100 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $100 ($200 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $150 ($300 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $200 ($400 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $250 ($500 per person 7 day cruise)
    • I will pay anything!! Let me on the ship!

39 minutes ago, Cracker55 said:

Just as long as they don’t then stick it up your nose. 

A PCR test is a nasal swab...period, that ain't changing.  And its the most accurate test.  Why wouldn't you want to know the truth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Well, the discomfort is certainly one thing but not the major problem.  We just prefer not to have a foreign object inserted into our noses and jammed up near our brain.  There are options...so hopefully we will be able to utilize another format.

I had a swab done a few years ago after returning from a trip. Turns out it was walking phenomena.  

They had me sit in a chair, lean back and then swab.  I thought the long “handle” was for them to hold, until the test was done. I thought it was going to come out of my anus a millisecond after they started the swab. I’d do it again to travel, but like you would probably prefer other methods. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

24 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

A PCR test is a nasal swab...period, that ain't changing.  

Not necessarily.  According to the FDA

The COVID-19 RT-PCR Test is a real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (rRT-PCR) test for the qualitative detection of nucleic acid from SARS-CoV-2 in upper and lower respiratory specimens (nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swabs, sputum, lower respiratory tract aspirates, bronchoalveolar lavage, and nasopharyngeal wash/aspirate) collected from individuals suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider (HCP), as well as upper respiratory specimens (nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swabs, anterior nasal swabs, or mid-turbinate swabs) collected from any individual, including individuals without symptoms or other reasons to suspect COVID19

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I had a swab done a few years ago after returning from a trip. Turns out it was walking phenomena.  

They had me sit in a chair, lean back and then swab.  I thought the long “handle” was for them to hold, until the test was done. I thought it was going to come out of my anus a millisecond after they started the swab. I’d do it again to travel, but like you would probably prefer other methods. 

Sorry, Andrew.  I giggled but caught myself before I laughed out loud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Cracker55 said:

New here. Is everyone this quick to jump on someone?

I wasn't jumping on anybody....remember you're on a blog, intentions are hard to indicate...Ferrington and I are friends, aren't we Ferrington!

4 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

The COVID-19 RT-PCR Test is a real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (rRT-PCR) test for the qualitative detection of nucleic acid from SARS-CoV-2 in upper and lower respiratory specimens (nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swabs, sputum, lower respiratory tract aspirates, bronchoalveolar lavage, and nasopharyngeal wash/aspirate) collected from individuals suspected of COVID-19 by their healthcare provider (HCP), as well as upper respiratory specimens (nasopharyngeal or oropharyngeal swabs, anterior nasal swabs, or mid-turbinate swabs) collected from any individual, including individuals without symptoms or other reasons to suspect COVID19

😆As far as I know we do not breath through our annus....ROTFLMAO😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

A PCR test is a nasal swab...period, that ain't changing.  And its the most accurate test.  Why wouldn't you want to know the truth.

Poster meant don't take Anal Swab and then put up my Nose

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Well, the discomfort is certainly one thing but not the major problem.  We just prefer not to have a foreign object inserted into our noses and jammed up near our brain.  There are options...so hopefully we will be able to utilize another format.

A nasal swab test gets nowhere near your brain, current testing protocols dictates the tip of the swab needs to be inserted no further than 1 inch. Most places allow you to do the swabbing on your own now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I think the cruise lines are going to require the COVID tests will be accepted and administered by their own medical staff.  Just like bringing your own liquor aboard is forbidden, outside or 3rd party tests won't be allowed.  It will turn into a "service fee" (i.e. very profitable) for the cruise lines.

The price?   Who knows?  But, I think you can be certain it won't be cheap.

It will not be cheap, by design.  This test is meant to be a deterrent to the unvaccinated cruiser.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jerseygirl3 said:

My point is how is the staff going to be able to monitor who is and is not vaccinated? And then have to confront a pax who doesn’t conform to the protocol. If anyone unvaxed has to wear a mask, there is no way crew members can monitor that. They’re busy enough as it is. It’s just Fain’s way of making it sound like they are taking precautions, albeit ones that can’t be enforced. 

I am thinking they will have to wear a tracelet. Something already being used for contact tracing. That way they can quarantine if needed. They actually use these on non-vaccinated cruises elsewhere. They are also wearing masks on those cruises. 

24 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Of the specimen collection methods you have listed, the nasal swab is the most comfortable, no question. The oropharyngeal is pretty darn deep................

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Of the specimen collection methods you have listed, the nasal swab is the most comfortable, no question. The oropharyngeal is pretty darn deep................

I'll go with sputum

• Haha 1

Can you use your OBC to pay for the test?  I have 25% extra left over from the previous cancellations...

It would seem that testing may be covered by insurance under Biden's 1/21/21 executive order:

"This guidance makes clear that private group health plans and issuers generally cannot use medical screening criteria to deny coverage for COVID-19 diagnostic tests for individuals with health coverage who are asymptomatic, and who have no known or suspected exposure to COVID-19. Such testing must be covered without cost sharing, prior authorization, or other medical management requirements imposed by the plan or issuer. For example, covered individuals wanting to ensure they are COVID-19 negative prior to visiting a family member would be able to be tested without paying cost sharing."

My insurance policy provides: Approved diagnostic testing for COVID-19 is covered at no cost to members when ordered by a licensed, authorized health care provider...

Edited by The Scurvy Pirate
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jrapps said:

Just because that is what you want doesn't mean it what they HAVE to do. They are a private business, they can do anything (except require vaccine apparently)

If they want to charge you $500 for the privilege of taking their covid test, that is exactly what they will do. 

LOL. It's not what I want. It's the fact that NONE of this is confirmed. You're making insanely wild assumptions as to what they will do with no basis whatsoever.

2 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

Right now there is a lot of state, federal and insurance reimbursement for the tests, which won't exist on the ships. But the  cruise line has to factor in the costs of buying the equipment for the relatively small number of people they will be testing.

If they price it too high, people won't travel or vaccinate, in which case they'll lose money on the gear either way. The reason Royal hasn't said anything official is precisely because, if true, they need to figure out the economics before forking a ton of cash on testing equipment that will go unused.

9 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Can you use your OBC to pay for the test?  I have 25% extra left over from the previous cancellations...

It would seem that testing may be covered by insurance under Biden's 1/21/21 executive order:

"This guidance makes clear that private group health plans and issuers generally cannot use medical screening criteria to deny coverage for COVID-19 diagnostic tests for individuals with health coverage who are asymptomatic, and who have no known or suspected exposure to COVID-19. Such testing must be covered without cost sharing, prior authorization, or other medical management requirements imposed by the plan or issuer. For example, covered individuals wanting to ensure they are COVID-19 negative prior to visiting a family member would be able to be tested without paying cost sharing."

My insurance policy provides: Approved diagnostic testing for COVID-19 is covered at no cost to members when ordered by a licensed, authorized health care provider...

Neither the federal government nor commercial insurance is going to pay for these tests.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, coldflame said:

LOL. It's not what I want. It's the fact that NONE of this is confirmed. You're making insanely wild assumptions as to what they will do with no basis whatsoever.

It wasn't an assumption. It's a poll.

I guess it's about as "confirmed" as anything else that Royal says these days. No basis whatsoever? When the CEO of the company posts the info, we take it at face value. I call that at last SOME basis. This is not a 

Not sure what level you need for something to be "official enough" that we simple folk here are allowed to have a poll about it....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You realize it has to be scraped, not spit up?

I guess it depends on who administers it and whether or not the patient can produce a specimen.

From Science Daily

Sputum testing provides higher rate of COVID-19 detection -- ScienceDaily

Nasopharyngeal swabs are collected through the nasal cavity; oropharyngeal swabs are collected by inserting a shaft through the mouth; and sputum samples are generally collected by having a patient cough deeply to produce and expel phlegm. Not all patients are able to produce a sputum sample; for such patients, a nasopharyngeal swab may be the best collection method.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dunedinmaiden said:

I've had a nasal swab test and it was no big deal -- not painful.  People imagine it's worse than it really is.

My husband has had a total of 8 of those and will strongly disagree with you.

• Like 2