How much could Royal charge for the Covid tests and you would still sail and pay it?

Royal to charge for Covid Test: How much will you pay?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. How much could Royal charge for the Covid tests and you would still sail and pay it?

• I would cancel before paying anything
    • $50 ($100 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $100 ($200 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $150 ($300 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $200 ($400 per person 7 day cruise)
    • $250 ($500 per person 7 day cruise)
    • I will pay anything!! Let me on the ship!

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Why is that?  If it's done right it doesn't hurt and some places will even let you do your own deep well swabbing!  

Sorry just saw your post answering that.  They don't poke it THAT far up.

Jeff said it touched his brain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cracker55 said:

Ok. I was just responding to ONECRUISER post about one Country who uses an Anal swab for testing. I simply said I wouldn’t want that one (used) stuck up my nose.  I thought it was funny. Guess not. Like I said, new here. I guess I’ll figure it all out soon enough. 

I got it, finally, kinda slow on the uptake sometime, pretty defensive around here these days...attack attack attack!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I guess it depends on who administers it and whether or not the patient can produce a specimen.

From Science Daily

Sputum testing provides higher rate of COVID-19 detection -- ScienceDaily

Oh boy we're really goin deep now.....LOL  I just spit a bit of sputum on my keyboard!🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

Can you use your OBC to pay for the test?  I have 25% extra left over from the previous cancellations...

It would seem that testing may be covered by insurance under Biden's 1/21/21 executive order:

"This guidance makes clear that private group health plans and issuers generally cannot use medical screening criteria to deny coverage for COVID-19 diagnostic tests for individuals with health coverage who are asymptomatic, and who have no known or suspected exposure to COVID-19. Such testing must be covered without cost sharing, prior authorization, or other medical management requirements imposed by the plan or issuer. For example, covered individuals wanting to ensure they are COVID-19 negative prior to visiting a family member would be able to be tested without paying cost sharing."

My insurance policy provides: Approved diagnostic testing for COVID-19 is covered at no cost to members when ordered by a licensed, authorized health care provider...

that may be true, but they will likely have you pay up front and then it's up to you file with insurance.

2 hours ago, Cracker55 said:

Ok. I was just responding to ONECRUISER post about one Country who uses an Anal swab for testing. I simply said I wouldn’t want that one (used) stuck up my nose.  I thought it was funny. Guess not. Like I said, new here. I guess I’ll figure it all out soon enough. 

It was freakin hilarious!

3 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Sorry, Andrew.  I giggled but caught myself before I laughed out loud.

I mean, if you have to get swabbed just think of my story.  The laughter might help.

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

😆As far as I know we do not breath through our annus....ROTFLMAO😉

Just exhales, upon occasion and hopefully not in the elevator.  The annus, there's something that should require a mask while on the ship at all times.  Maybe not for the pool though.😂 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, jrapps said:

Just because that is what you want doesn't mean it what they HAVE to do. They are a private business, they can do anything (except require vaccine apparently)

If they want to charge you $500 for the privilege of taking their covid test, that is exactly what they will do. 

Just read the test for unvaccinated passengers will be complimentary🤦‍♀️

1 hour ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Just read the test for unvaccinated passengers will be complimentary🤦‍♀️

Only unvaccinated passengers who are ineligible for a vaccine (under 12) will get it complimentary according to the latest info from the Royal CEO.

As always subject to change a million times between now and next Tuesday.

Edited by jrapps
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Since I never had a test I’m curious why you won’t get a nasal swab. I heard they are painful. Is that why?

I've had two. First one was last summer before having a medical procedure. I was more worried about that than the procedure. Piece of cake. Last month I was seen in the ER and they did another one. Didn't even phase me. Maybe minor discomfort for a few seconds, but not painful. It's over so fast.

I did hear that some people on blood thinners can get a nose bleed, so maybe that's why they're against the nasal swab?

7 hours ago, RFerrington said:

I guess it depends on who administers it and whether or not the patient can produce a specimen.

From Science Daily

Sputum testing provides higher rate of COVID-19 detection -- ScienceDaily

Nasopharyngeal swabs are collected through the nasal cavity; oropharyngeal swabs are collected by inserting a shaft through the mouth; and sputum samples are generally collected by having a patient cough deeply to produce and expel phlegm. Not all patients are able to produce a sputum sample; for such patients, a nasopharyngeal swab may be the best collection method.

Really? :classic_tongue: So you refuse to get the vaccine and have a letter. And now you are declining standard testing options. Do you really want to cruise? Or maybe you should look at other vacation options for a while, until things improve. :classic_smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Actually I did. I attempted to post the article from Forbes that came up in my news feed yesterday, but I couldn’t copy and paste it. 

You were mistaken, as it relates to this topic. Only tests for ineligible unvaccinated passengers would be complimentary.

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You were mistaken, as it relates to this topic. Only tests for ineligible unvaccinated passengers would be complimentary.

I will try to find it. Maybe Forbes mistakenly reported it would be complimentary for all?

For what it is worth, Carnival announced today they will be charging $50 for the un-vaccinated to get Covid Tests.

https://www.cruzely.com/carnival-reveals-50-fee-for-virus-test-if-unvaccinated-waived-july-august/

Of course, this is on 95% cruises, so not being used as a deterrent (and being waived for July & August). Remains to be seen what Royal decides to charge.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2021 at 9:43 PM, RFerrington said:

I really don't care what it costs as long as it is not a nasal swab.  We won't get that.  If they will allow a cheek swab or a saliva test, we're good.  No way we're doing a nasal swab though.  Guess we'll find out soon enough.

On 6/10/2021 at 1:03 AM, ReneeFLL said:

Since I never had a test I’m curious why you won’t get a nasal swab. I heard they are painful. Is that why?

On 6/10/2021 at 8:19 AM, dunedinmaiden said:

I've had a nasal swab test and it was no big deal -- not painful.  People imagine it's worse than it really is.

👍🏼

On 6/10/2021 at 9:03 AM, sjb317 said:

I found it not to be painful or even uncomfortable.  We had to have one to fly back to US from the Dominican Republic.  It was very quick and easy.  

Sherri🙂

Thanks. I was just wondering why she wouldn’t get the nasal swab. She won’t get the vaccine so I wondered if it had something to do with that. I had one last Friday and it wasn’t a big deal. It didn’t hurt.

On 6/10/2021 at 12:37 PM, BecciBoo said:

Why is that?  If it's done right it doesn't hurt and some places will even let you do your own deep well swabbing!  

Sorry just saw your post answering that.  They don't poke it THAT far up.

👍🏼

On 6/9/2021 at 9:43 PM, RFerrington said:

I really don't care what it costs as long as it is not a nasal swab.  We won't get that.  If they will allow a cheek swab or a saliva test, we're good.  No way we're doing a nasal swab though.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:18 AM, RFerrington said:

Well, the discomfort is certainly one thing but not the major problem.  We just prefer not to have a foreign object inserted into our noses and jammed up near our brain. 

Same for us!  No way we are getting a "brain biopsy".  So many things could go wrong when an untrained person is shoving a foreign object up your nose.
We are friends with several ER docs and every single one of them said if your "up-the-nose" swab didn't hurt like the devil, then you didn't get a good test.  And certainly not if they give you the swab to "do it yourself".

• Like 1

The UK starts sailing in just over two weeks. Must have both jabs of vaccination and proof of it via an app. A bit of paper or a vaccination card is not acceptable. All passengers 18 and over will have a PCR test paid for by RCI no more than 72 hours before. 2-17 years have a rapid test in port.

I test myself a couple of times a week, the UK government encourages it and reporting. We can get the rapid tests for free from the Government, local pharmacy etc.

Our NHS app (National Health Service) app shows everything. You can contact your Doctor, shows your medical records, vaccinations, I can order repeat medications. I pay £10 a month for as much medication as I need. If you are a student, unemployed, retired etc you get all your medications for free.

Vaccination take up is huge in the UK.

26 minutes ago, ljason913 said:

im not paying for any test i refuse to get tested i am vaccinated and i dont want to wear a mask 

AI’s will gladly accept your money, until cruises change their policies to your liking. 

38 minutes ago, ljason913 said:

im not paying for any test i refuse to get tested i am vaccinated and i dont want to wear a mask 

You probably should check the procedures of the ports you're interested in.  You may be required and if you refuse, you aren't boarding the ship at embarkation.  That would be a bummer after all this time.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:10 PM, sugcarol said:

My niece had severe Covid [hospitalized} in February, last week they did an antigen and she does not have immunity anymore so she started the Moderna vax. They told her that immunity only lasts 4-6 months that is why they are telling people to get the vax even if they had the disease. 

Hopefully your daughter has fully recovered without any of the lasting side effects from having severe covid.     

My MIL had covid in February and was told to wait 90-days before getting vaccinated.    She got her 2nd dose of Moderna last week.     I have heard several people say the same. 

23 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

AI’s will gladly accept your money, until cruises change their policies to your liking. 

I just spoke to the AI I'm going to in December and they will not be accepting that poster's money!

But the Motel 6 in Superior Wisconsin said they will, even over Christmas! No Covid mask requirement but ski masks are highly recommended at that time of year.  🥶

😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2021 at 8:15 PM, jrapps said:

Only unvaccinated passengers who are ineligible for a vaccine (under 12) will get it complimentary according to the latest info from the Royal CEO.

As always subject to change a million times between now and next Tuesday.

The quickly changing requirements could give one whiplash. Luckily, since we are not sailing until September, I don't have to pay attention until late August. 

• Like 1