What’s your favorite travel insurance?

ItsADryHumor

That would depend on your needs.  I have Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card which provides $10,000 pp cancellation/trip interruption but doesn't include pre-existing conditions.  While we are pretty healthy MIL is 92.  At this point we are willing to self insure the risk of cancel/interrupt a trip due to a pre-existing condition.   If you aren't there are some annual policies which provide some level of coverage.  For example I looked at RoamRight which covers cancelling for pre-existing conditions but I think is only available for $10000 per year payout.  There are a coupe of others.   This is where talking with a broker like Steve is helpful.

• Like 1

This is such a great topic and appreciate all the info provided. DH and I are recently retired and, a couple of years pre covid, we’d purchased one of the few comprehensive annual policies at a pretty high price. Now that overseas travel is opening up, along with all of you, we’ve got lots of making up to do! So we’re exploring other insurance coverage options and wonder, for many of you who have mentioned using an annual policy for medical and evacuation, how are you covered in the event of a cancellation/interruption?  A supplemental policy for each trip, credit card coverage (if so, which card), etc? Appreciate further feedback on annual policies! 

Sounds like I may need to give Steve at The Trip Insurance store a call!

Edit to say: I didn’t see the last 2 posts before I posted this response. For sure, it depends on what you can afford to risk, but curious what you all are doing to cover cancellation/interruption when you need something more than medical and evacuation. 

Thanks!

Tammy

Edited by scottam

27 minutes ago, scottam said:

This is such a great topic and appreciate all the info provided. DH and I are recently retired and, a couple of years pre covid, we’d purchased one of the few comprehensive annual policies at a pretty high price. Now that overseas travel is opening up, along with all of you, we’ve got lots of making up to do! So we’re exploring other insurance coverage options and wonder, for many of you who have mentioned using an annual policy for medical and evacuation, how are you covered in the event of a cancellation/interruption?  A supplemental policy for each trip, credit card coverage (if so, which card), etc? Appreciate further feedback on annual policies! 

Sounds like I may need to give Steve at The Trip Insurance store a call!

Edit to say: I didn’t see the last 2 posts before I posted this response. For sure, it depends on what you can afford to risk, but curious what you all are doing to cover cancellation/interruption when you need something more than medical and evacuation. 

Thanks!

Tammy

See post #11. 

2 hours ago, Orator said:

See post #11. 

Yep. Saw that. Will definitely look into Geo Blue for medical and evacuation, but still would love to hear what folks are doing for cancellation/interruption coverage when they use this type of policy. 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, scottam said:

Yep. Saw that. Will definitely look into Geo Blue for medical and evacuation, but still would love to hear what folks are doing for cancellation/interruption coverage when they use this type of policy. 

Thanks!

Trip cancellation/interruption were the very first of multiple reasons why I first bought trip insurance. I can't speak to annual policies, but all single-trip policies I've bought included Cancellation (before leaving home) and Interruption (during travel) at no added cost. Travelex, RoamRight, any of the good ones should offer such. Interruption during travel usually includes a time-length restriction, like delayed for at least 6 hours or similar.

On trip policies, "cancellation" usually just covers work reasons or illness. But an extra-cost "cancel for any reason" should also be available.

In 2019 a fellow cruiser had to "cancel for work reasons".  He submitted a letter from his boss in the claim and it was done, full refund. (I don't know for sure which company he used, but I had recommended TravelEx and RoamRight.)

20 years ago learned a hard lesson about forgoing travel insurance when my flu treatment aboard ship cost me over $1k.  Since then have always purchased it.  Have always found the cc travel insurance forum to be a great resource.  Also benefited from from conversations with the very knowledgeable folks at Insuremytrip.com.  Learned that while many comprehensive policies appear similar you have to read the fine print.

As we aged the coverage we focus on the most is evacuation.  It's the largest potential risk and coverage varies widely.  We always take at least $500k coverage.  But just as important as the $ limit is understanding who is in control should you have to be evacuated.   Is it the insurance company or you who determines where you are airlifted to, what level of hospital you are treated at, what treatment you receive, who can come with you and how they get you home.  This is especially important if you will be traveling to less developed areas of the world.

I second a recommendation for insuremytrip.com.  Been using that site for years. I usually have wound up buying CSA - forget the name of the exact policy but it doesn't matter cause CSA is now Generali. I usually go with the most comprehensive coverage I can find, especially (depending on where the trip goes) medical evacuation.  

On 6/14/2021 at 5:33 AM, pooh/tigger said:

Why do you say not to buy from the cruise line? Please explain. Thank you

Most people would say not to buy the cruise line insurance because the coverage limits for medical and evacuation are comparatively low, usually in the $20,000 range. This coverage is secondary, which means that you file with you regular (primary) insurance first. The travel policy pays any left over expenses such as deductible or co-pays so it will go further than you might think at first.

There are a couple of advantages. The first is the cost to purchase as you age. Third-party insurance considers age in calculating the premium so it becomes more expensive. Another is the cancel-for-any-reason benefit. Third-party insurance treats it as an add-on, thus you pay more for perhaps 75% reimbursement. The cruise line insurance offers future cruise credits so you have to weigh what is more important to you. 

Bankruptcy of the cruise line is not really a consideration in whether your claim will be paid. It is simply a cruise line branded product sold as a convenience, and yes a profit maker, by the cruise line. It is underwritten by an insurance company such as Nationwide and administered by a few companies that exist for that purpose. The insurance company is not going out of business if the cruise line fails.

There is a lot to consider in buying insurance, and COVID has added another level of complexity. Determine what expenses are most important for you to have covered and compare policies. Get help from someone like Steve at The Trip Insurance Store if you get bogged down, but don’t dismiss cruise line insurance out of hand. It can be a reasonable choice in some instances.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Babr said:

Most people would say not to buy the cruise line insurance because the coverage limits for medical and evacuation are comparatively low, usually in the $20,000 range. This coverage is secondary, which means that you file with you regular (primary) insurance first. The travel policy pays any left over expenses such as deductible or co-pays so it will go further than you might think at first.

There are a couple of advantages. The first is the cost to purchase as you age. Third-party insurance considers age in calculating the premium so it becomes more expensive. Another is the cancel-for-any-reason benefit. Third-party insurance treats it as an add-on, thus you pay more for perhaps 75% reimbursement. The cruise line insurance offers future cruise credits so you have to weigh what is more important to you. 

Bankruptcy of the cruise line is not really a consideration in whether your claim will be paid. It is simply a cruise line branded product sold as a convenience, and yes a profit maker, by the cruise line. It is underwritten by an insurance company such as Nationwide and administered by a few companies that exist for that purpose. The insurance company is not going out of business if the cruise line fails.

There is a lot to consider in buying insurance, and COVID has added another level of complexity. Determine what expenses are most important for you to have covered and compare policies. Get help from someone like Steve at The Trip Insurance Store if you get bogged down, but don’t dismiss cruise line insurance out of hand. It can be a reasonable choice in some instances.

Excellent explanation. Thank you very much

• Like 1

Now that we are retired and on Medicare Advantage, we have been buying medical coverage from GeoBlue.  Will need to do more research when we start cruising again later this year to see if they provide adequate coverage for any Covid-related issues.

Many people buy insurance for other reasons like cancellation.  We have never done that.  It really all depends on your personal risk analysis.  We have sailed over 60 times through the years.  Even if we had to cancel a cruise or two (which thankfully we have not) It would have cost us WAY more to buy the insurance each cruise than the money we would have been out of pocket.  If we had to cancel, some of our costs would be covered by our credit card.  Many of the travel costs (hotel, airplane, etc.) might be minor depending on when we had to cancel.  Most hotels can be cancelled up to 24 hours before.  Most airfares (especially post-Covid) can be cancelled and rescheduled without penalty to a later date.  Even some cruise fare might be refunded depending on timing.

Having worked in the insurance industry for 30+ years, I keep in mind that the reason insurance companies can stay in business is because of the claims not filed, and people buying way more insurance than they really need.  Sometimes people believe insurance is there to cover every contingency.  Keep thinking that and the insurance companies will keep thriving.  Insurance is there to cover catastrophes - and I'm using a broad definition to define that.  For some people losing $3000 is painful but not a catastrophe.  To others it truly is.  Decide on travel insurance accordingly.  

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Croooser said:

Geo Blue + Chase Sapphire. Self Insured for any risk above covered amounts - e.g. a pricey 3 week trip.

Yes, but add Med Jet.  While Sapphire and Geo Blue state they cover evacuation I know of a few instances were persons were denied this coverage as in the opinion of the insurers the evacuation was not "medically necessary."  This cost one person over $100,000.00 to get flown home to have surgery rather than have it done in a 3rd world area.  MedJet would have brought her home.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:33 AM, pooh/tigger said:

Why do you say not to buy from the cruise line? Please explain. Thank you

My reason is simple: the limits for medical that they have are too low. If you have Medicare (USA) you have very limited coverage overseas. I hadn't thought about the cruise company going belly up. But I think the coverage that they sell is brokered through another carrier. (Celebrity is through Arch Ins according to their website)

Edited by mtnlvr53

3 hours ago, mtnlvr53 said:

My reason is simple: the limits for medical that they have are too low. If you have Medicare (USA) you have very limited coverage overseas. I hadn't thought about the cruise company going belly up. But I think the coverage that they sell is brokered through another carrier. (Celebrity is through Arch Ins according to their website)

Actually, as I understand it, if one has Medicare, there is no coverage out of the US.

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Actually, as I understand it, if one has Medicare, there is no coverage out of the US.

You are correct: the coverage is under the Medigap policy. Sorry for the error

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I have Chase Sapphire Reserve with its $ 2,500 medical coverage.

Let's say I need to visit the cruise ship's medical facilities (non-COVID health issue), and was charged $ 2,000.

Would CSR cover that?

I expect so, but I think the coverage is secondary so you will have to pay up front, collect the proper documentation, file with your primary insurance, then file with CSR.

I’m sure there is someone with first-hand experience, but that is usually the way travel insurance works unless it is primary coverage. Then you skip the step of filing with your regular primary insurance.

Edited by Babr

On 6/16/2021 at 4:53 AM, Gracie115 said:

Yes, but add Med Jet.  While Sapphire and Geo Blue state they cover evacuation I know of a few instances were persons were denied this coverage as in the opinion of the insurers the evacuation was not "medically necessary."  This cost one person over $100,000.00 to get flown home to have surgery rather than have it done in a 3rd world area.  MedJet would have brought her home.

Your point is well taken for travel to remote areas.  Depending on where one travels might mean different insurance decisions.

44 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Your point is well taken for travel to remote areas.  Depending on where one travels might mean different insurance decisions.

True but Med Jet covers you anywhere more than 100 miles from home.  We won't travel without it.  The cost really is minimal for the piece of mind it provides.

• 1 month later...

Expanding on my previous post, I'd say Generali (formerly CSA) was my favorite go-to for trip insurance, but I'm not real happy with them after they failed to apply the value of a policy (that resulted from a canceled cruise) towards a new cruise. They said they would, but then it was a song and dance about the policy never having been officially canceled and as a result the cost to insure the new trip is double the old one. Except that....the cost to insure the new trip is nearly the SAME as the value of the voucher from the previously canceled trip. So in effect, they don't want to honor their promise. It's still an ongoing issue so see how it all resolves. An agent I spoke with indicated if I file for an exception they might simply refund the intial premium. I'm not hopeful quite honestly. 

On 6/16/2021 at 2:53 AM, Gracie115 said:

I agree and have Med Jet in addition to Coverage I have with Sapphire.     The annual price is very reasonable and much cheaper than getting many Travel Policies that are loaded with things that are not needed by me.  

Another consideration may be when you are traveling.   Celebrity is currently providing free medical evacuation on cruises through October 31

COVID-19 Assistance

Book a Celebrity cruise that’s sailing on or before October 31, 2021 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge:

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Traveling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.*
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party.

We have used IMG a few times.  https://www.imglobal.com/   

Actually had a claim on the last cruise (pre-pandemic).  Hubby developed a rash on third day of cruise.  Ship doctor said it was probably allergic reaction to something he ate.  Gave him some Benadryl and ointment.  Filed claim when we got home and it paid off 100%, if I remember correctly.  We would use again.

On 6/16/2021 at 5:53 AM, Gracie115 said:

I have ALL three.

I will never leave home without this three.