2 Test Positive

42 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Exactly why I upgraded us to a GS.  Spending a few days or more, in a lovely cabin with my husband is not the end of the world.  Room service, wifi, reading, my knitting and a gorgeous view doesn’t hurt either.

Same here.. A GS with the expanded veranda.  Been to all the ports many times over the past 20+ years and have stayed on board a few times. We would suffer through if necessary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

Hmmm.  Husband flies corporate jets for a private charter company. Upwards of $30K for domestic US trip. One way. I understand these folks are Dutch nationals, so if it’s a flight to Europe, just add that much more on top.  But hey, if you can travel that way, more power to you! 😉

They could be Dutch nationals living in Sint Maarten.

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Well, actually, I think it may be part of a cruise with confidence plan, or whatever it is called. For bookings up to a certain date, some cruise lines will help you with expenses related to quarantine and rebooking flights. After that it, will be up to the passenger to pay whether it is out of his own pocket or with insurance. If you choose to buy it, read carefully. Insurance companies, like cruise lines, will not take on the risk of something they think is pretty likely to happen.

I suppose these folks got a private plane because they tested positive - can’t fly commercially. I don’t know what they do about re-entry into the country.

Anybody else would have to quarantine in place until they test negative.

No more 14 days I guess.  So some type of insurance I guess is the cruise with confidence? This will be the example I'm sure.  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, sept10dsm said:

No more 14 days I guess.  So some type of insurance I guess is the cruise with confidence? This will be the example I'm sure.  Thanks!

I suppose you could look at it as a kind of insurance. The cruise lines are offering assistance at no extra cost for these early sailings to help passengers feel assured about all the uncertainties. After that introductory period, people have a better idea of what to expect.

So after the cut-off date for the cruise line assistance, the passenger has to decide whether to buy insurance. It will be an optional extra expense. I have no idea what the cruise line policies look like these day, but  you can compare them to third-party policies. Just be sure it covers what you expect it to.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Babr said:

I suppose you could look at it as a kind of insurance. The cruise lines are offering assistance at no extra cost for these early sailings to help passengers feel assured about all the uncertainties. After that introductory period, people have a better idea of what to expect.

So after the cut-off date for the cruise line assistance, the passenger has to decide whether to buy insurance. It will be an optional extra expense. I have no idea what the cruise line policies look like these day, but  you can compare them to third-party policies. Just be sure it covers what you expect it to.

Thank you again!  Have a good evening

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

They could be Dutch nationals living in Sint Maarten.

True. But the ship is docking in Sint Martin tomorrow morning. If they lived there, there would be no reason to fly them home. 😉

11 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Same here.. A GS with the expanded veranda.  Been to all the ports many times over the past 20+ years and have stayed on board a few times. We would suffer through if necessary.

Our first post-covid cruise  will be the end of November and is a western Caribbean itinerary - we're on Oasis with a balcony and if for some reason we miss ports that we've been to many, many times and have to stay on the ship, it won't be a tragedy.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

they are still following the guidance.  Otherwise they wouldn't have mandated the requirements.

Perhaps it was following Dutch regulations. After all it was sailing from St Maarten.

14 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Exactly why I upgraded us to a GS.  Spending a few days or more, in a lovely cabin with my husband is not the end of the world.  Room service, wifi, reading, my knitting and a gorgeous view doesn’t hurt either.

That is our plan too.    We have selected some nice cabins for our future bookings.   Just hope they don't take people that are in quarantine  and send them to an interior cabin or ocean view cabin that is near the medical center.    that would be horrible if I had a nice JS booked and had to move to an interior.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broberts said:

Perhaps it was following Dutch regulations. After all it was sailing from St Maarten.

While they were on the ship, they are following the guidance set with the CDC and CLIA agreed upon terms.  

So, they were tested according to one who informed people on the Celebrity board about their arrival process.  They were tested at pier before allowing to get onboard the ship and tested agains while cruising before they are allowed to board a plane back home.  This is the protocol they are following.  That test as well as other test showed they were positive for the virus but are asymptomatic since they aren't (weren't) experiencing any  symptoms.

9 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

NOT on cruises embarking outside the USA

They are following them.  Especially those in North/South America sailing, the guest need to be tested before they can get on the plane back to the US.  They had the option to get tested either Thursday or wait until Friday.  This is how they found out.  Go read the Celebrity Board.

Edited by Plum Happy

2 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

They are following them.  Especially those in North/South America sailing, the guest need to be tested before they can get on the plane back to the US.  They had the option to get tested either Thursday or wait until Friday.  This is how they found out.  Go read the Celebrity Board.

"Return Testing" is a requirement of any American traveler, it has nothing to do with CDC cruise protocols.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Plum Happy said:

So, that is how they found out the two people tested positive.

Testing is done on Day 6 or 7, less then 72hrs before getting off. Think these 2 were done day 6

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That is our plan too.    We have selected some nice cabins for our future bookings.   Just hope they don't take people that are in quarantine  and send them to an interior cabin or ocean view cabin that is near the medical center.    that would be horrible if I had a nice JS booked and had to move to an interior.

Maybe only if you come up positive 😉

I read this on the Celebrity board about the Millennium sailing - so who knows if RCI will be the same - but check this as to if you test positive onboard. First time I have seen this info put into action: 

(quote snipped by me to keep only the info relevant to my post)

image.png.ddf3f217c019438bb8501ef1ba139662.png

One of my favorite quotes is "Common Sense is a Flower that Doesn't Grow in Everyone's Garden".  If anyone thinks that just because a ship is 100% vaccinated that there won't be cases of Covid then you have not been paying attention.  If you are worried, then please stay home and let the rest of us cruise.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

That doesn't mean these cruises are using CDC guidance, that is the only point I am trying to make.  ANY American returning from outside the country has to have a negative test to board the plane.

Really?  Then they would need to find somewhere in St Martin to give them the test then.  So, they are following the CLIA and CDC guidelines for unvaccinated cruisers.

17 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Testing is done on Day 6 or 7, less then 72hrs before getting off. Think these 2 were done day 6

Yes, I am aware of this, since this is the procedure.