2 Test Positive

2 hours ago, retiredgram said:

There are people that obtain fake vaccination cards. 

Just like you can still get the flu after a flu shot  - you can still get covid after you've been fully vaccinated.   The point of the vaccine is to  prevent death, lessen symptoms, thus making it less transmissible.   There will still be covid cases among the fully vaccinated.   

I love me some Yahoo news........right on the front page reads;

1st N. American cruise since 2020 marred by COVID

Click on the article and the headline is;

2 passengers test positive for COVID-19 on 1st North American cruise since 2020

Marred?

I'm the first person to admit that I do not have the best grasp on the English language and misuse words from time to time......but marred?

She can tell you about the plane crash with a gleam in her eye.

SIAP

If you want to read the garbage;

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/2-passengers-test-positive-covid-003023545.html

Edited by Alibaster McGillicutty
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

I love me some Yahoo news........right on the front page reads;

1st N. American since 2020 marred by COVID

I'm guessing they meant "1st N. American cruise since 2020 marred by COVID".  That would have made sense.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I believe the point the poster was making is that there are far more cases of covid being identified at the border crisis with little to no news on these cases and yet two cases identified on a cruise ship makes national headlines. It was a compariosn of how the media is covering covid. Both situations are not good, but one is being overblown while it appears to be under control and the other is being ignored yet is continuing to be a raging fire. To add insult to injury, the two cruisers were vaccinated and was only required to take tests to re-enter into their country. The illegals that are being identifed were never tested prior to crossing the US/Mexico border.  There was nothing political in nature about the post. 

I didn’t respond to that post.  I questioned a different post that implied a comment can only be political IF a politician or political party was mentioned.  

1 hour ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Yup. 310,000,000 fully vax Americans with 10,463 cases of a fully vaxed person contracting Covid. That's a rate of 0.000033%.
as thus couple tested positive on day 4 OT May be that they picked it up on their plane, I the airport, in their home.

we know *zero* variables- type of vaccine, comorbidities age, profession, possible exposures, etc. yet had the world is freaking out. Jim Walker is especially repugnant.

I'm a pro vaxer and this does not bother me at all. Glad the couple is doing well.

I don’t think we will ever know the true number of breakthrough cases. Many vaxxed are going about their business unmasked, because we were told by the CDC that we could. If someone is asymptomatic or has mild cold/allergy symptoms, and they don’t know anybody that has Covid, they probably wouldn’t get tested. Had I not known my daughter had Covid, I would have thought I had a cold, but it was to much of a coincidence that it happened so closely in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

There were numerous close contacts that were with them on a shore excursion a couple of days earlier, as well as some crew. All were quarantined.  

And that’s my concern. I had thought only one person besides the couple that tested positive were quarantined. With Royal not asking ANY passengers to be vaccinated, imagine the odds of an outbreak??? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Yup. 310,000,000 fully vax Americans with 10,463 cases of a fully vaxed person contracting Covid. That's a rate of 0.000033%.
as thus couple tested positive on day 4 OT May be that they picked it up on their plane, I the airport, in their home.

we know *zero* variables- type of vaccine, comorbidities age, profession, possible exposures, etc. yet had the world is freaking out. Jim Walker is especially repugnant.

I'm a pro vaxer and this does not bother me at all. Glad the couple is doing well.

Mea Culpa! I transposed my one and my 3

Approx 130,000,000 complete vaxed Americans and 10,500 cases of a vaccinated persons contracting Covid ( that has been reported) 

that is still a ridiculously small percentage.0.000087%. Is that really statistically significant? No!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sept10dsm said:

With all this going on although not what many may want to hear , may be better to wait and see and go with all this settles.  It's news all over that the 2 on a cruise ship are positive.  Like it's the end of the world. 

I'm hoping all of this negative news for the industry will cool their jets on price increases for cabins, packages, and excursions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jerseygirl3 said:

And that’s my concern. I had thought only one person besides the couple that tested positive were quarantined. With Royal not asking ANY passengers to be vaccinated, imagine the odds of an outbreak??? 

It is a risk. If people read the terms and conditions when they reserve their cruise, they will see a general idea of how positive cases are handled on board and who might be impacted, including if you are a close contact. They (for obvious reasons) do not make it clear on their website or in other communications with their customers. They should, but they don’t. 

6 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

Another article mentioned that they tested 200 as a follow up.  So 200 people probably went thru the lock up, monitoring and testing.....   what fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bouhunter said:

Another article mentioned that they tested 200 as a follow up.  So 200 people probably went thru the lock up, monitoring and testing.....   what fun.

Yes... not just one person, but 200. Even if it was just an overnight only in your cabin, it would suck. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Mea Culpa! I transposed my one and my 3

Approx 130,000,000 complete vaxed Americans and 10,500 cases of a vaccinated persons contracting Covid ( that has been reported) 

that is still a ridiculously small percentage.0.000087%. Is that really statistically significant? No!!

Actually it's 0.0081%.  Admittedly still a small number.

6 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

No.  The comment from the cruiser on the ship was that at the time the positive tests were announced there had been 200 of the pre-return to SXM tests done and only 2 were positive. 200 people were not quarantined. It was a group that went on a shore excursion with the couple. And it’s standard procedure in these situations.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

There were numerous close contacts that were with them on a shore excursion a couple of days earlier, as well as some crew. All were quarantined.  

I think it was somewhere around 200 passengers and crew that were quarantined and tested after having close contact with the 2 positive travelers. 

Only 600 passengers on board.

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

I think it was somewhere around 200 passengers and crew that were quarantined and tested after having close contact with the 2 positive travelers. 

Only 600 passengers on board.

That is wrong. There were not 200 passengers quarantined. At the time the two positive cases were identified there had been 200 tests completed for purposes of returning to SXM and the US.  There was a small group quarantined who had been on a shore excursion with the couple a few days prior. 

17 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I'm hoping all of this negative news for the industry will cool their jets on price increases for cabins, packages, and excursions.

The CDC and the press will care more about this than the average cruisers chomping at the bit, especially the vaccinated. We have little info about these 2 passengers .

We aren't changing our plans for now but also have a "plan b" already in place so we won't have to change our flights and will head to a land based vacation instead of a cruise.

If we all are testing on embarkation we should have no known cases on board. We have stops on day 2,3,4. If someone contracts it from an excursion or was exposed at the airport, it still takes 2-6 days to manifest symptoms. We will still have several excursions; if we end up stuck on the ship we have a suite with a nice balcony and will make the best of it. As we have both been exposed to extremely ill Covid patients since before we actually knew it was Covid  and before extensive precautions were being taken  and my husband has intubated hundreds if not thousands of Covid patients ,we feel our chances of picking up the virus from the cough of a taxi driver or a shop owner are minimal. It would, however, stink if the threshold percentage of infected passengers is met and we have to turn back. The likelihood of that scenario occurring before day 4 is not too likely. Symptoms must manifest and testing will then occur unless Royal actually is going to test the non vaccinated passengers regularly. We have both been vaccinated.

I think we will see further testing and perhaps a trend toward more vax if there is another incident like this on Celebrity; it may be the only blip.

The only thing certain is uncertainty 

And I agree with you- this would be a nice time to have a special sale on amenities!!

Edited by forgotmyCCname

3 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

That is wrong. There were not 200 passengers quarantined. At the time the two positive cases were identified there had been 200 tests completed for purposes of returning to SXM and the US.  There was a small group quarantined who had been on a shore excursion with the couple a few days prior. 

And the few were only quarantined until alll the tests came back. It was overnight with room service, candy, wine, movies and internet gratis.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Babr said:

I think I’ve already seen that in the fine print. There is a time limit for bookings. After that, it will be the passenger’s responsibility. It is not likely that all travel insurance policies will cover it either. Insurance companies are aware of the risk and will not be willing to cover that except as a more costly add-on.

I found many low cost trip insurance policies that specifically cover Covid costs not covered by the cruise line.

Just now, forgotmyCCname said:

I found many low cost trip insurance policies that specifically cover Covid costs not covered by the cruise line.

Including quarantine costs? I’ve seen many that cover medical treatment  or cancellation if you test positive at the last minute. I don’t think I saw anything about hotel costs, meals, etc. for quarantine  except as an add-on.

Is it permissible to name them or against CC policy?

Thanks