Demand Based Pricing and Sales are Back :)

I am one of maybe five people out here who shop for a cruise based on price 🙂  I was alarmed at the first prices we saw and the comments "very strong bookings" - which is a code word for "bring all your money."  I just retired and wanted to use off peak pricing.  A recent search showed discounts and <$400 seven day fares- yaa.  It will be interesting to see if the 2019 price model re-emerges- the same low seasons etc.  

• Like 1

Think you are under estimating the CC members on here...........Most on here  look for a cruise based on prices. Be more like 3 out 5 if not 4.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Think you are under estimating the CC members on here...........Most on here  look for a cruise based on prices. Be more like 3 out 5 if not 4.

Yup, if it wasn't for price, we'd sail DCL all the time. Nothing wrong with being value-driven. But there's a limit to that as well, of course, because if price was everything then that's how folks end up in Carnival. That's why I use "value-driven" as opposed to "price-driven".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You know that happens, when the GGG flier makes a come back.

I keep the flier bookmarked.  It's depressing as hell looking at it still saying March 17, 2020.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They're gonna charge what the market will bear regardless.

I'd take "very strong bookings" with a grain of salt. Very strong for what? Covid sales? For a 95% vaxx sailing? For a regular booking season?

It's like when I mock book a sailing and it tells me "345 people are looking at this itinerary right now!!!"
uh-huh

23 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

It's like when I mock book a sailing and it tells me "345 people are looking at this itinerary right now!!!"
uh-huh

I believe in Europe travel sites are not allowed to do this anymore. A case a couple of years back where travel sites with those X people are booking this hotel, etc. were proven to be completely false to pressure customers via FOMO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The title made me think the OP was saying prices were dropping and he was going to mention some deal he saw. .. darn. False alarm. 

Serenade 11/12/2022 Grand Suite $3300 including tax and port fee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe the OP is like me.  I usually, (with a few exceptions), don't  care where I go and I will choose one itinerary over another based on price.  If there is suddenly a fantastic deal on Hawaii I might go there rather than somewhere else.  I also don't have any travel date restrictions, so that helps and I'm not picky about cabin location either. This is a little different than people who have their minds set on one particular itinerary/ship/date and simply shop around for the best deal for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coldflame said:

Yup, if it wasn't for price, we'd sail DCL all the time. Nothing wrong with being value-driven. But there's a limit to that as well, of course, because if price was everything then that's how folks end up in Carnival. That's why I use "value-driven" as opposed to "price-driven".

Us too. Every time we price a Disney cruise we realize that every RCL cruise in the same category/length/ports offers us a pricing "two-fer". Essentially we can book a B2B RCL cruise for the price of one Disney cruise.

Edited by orville99

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Probably more like 5 out of 4🤑

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramja96 said:

I keep the flier bookmarked.  It's depressing as hell looking at it still saying March 17, 2020.

Me too. I've been tempted to post a screen shot for nostalgia.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

We have 3 booked...give or take they're all around that price.  We also have one 10 day booked.  It is higher...~5,500.00.

Not many left in that price range.

2 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I'd save the $2k (for another cruise) and do $1300 for an OV.  🙂

We're hooked so there's no going back now. 🤣 Besides we managed to grab corner aft 1600. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ramja96 said:

I think everyone probably considers price at some point. It's most likely the #1 or #2 factor for about 95% of the people here on CC.

Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Probably more like 5 out of 4🤑

83% of statistics posted on Internet forums are pulled out out of the left ear of the poster.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just found 7 days on the Carnvial Panorama (BRAND NEW) out of LA in Nov. for about $500 each INT. (regular INT not the upper/lower berths). Heck, tha'ts what we paid for our 1st cruise 17 years ago! (booked INT but were upgraded to OV)

Officially it is my VIFP rate--but we officially have never cruised Carnival (cancelled) so not sure it is any big discount.

Edited by KKB

25 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

83% of statistics posted on Internet forums are pulled out out of the left ear of the poster.

This is an absolutely incorrect statement .... it came out of my RIGHT ear.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

This is an absolutely incorrect statement .... it came out of my RIGHT ear.

You are one of the 17%.  My statistic stands... 🙂 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1