The Daily for Thursday Jun 24, 2021

richwmn

Hi everyone. Had a fabulous visit with my sister and brother-in-law. We did fun things like kayaking and playing games. And they helped install my ac as well as helped fix a hardwired smoke alarm that has a mind of its own and is 15 feet off the ground. I was impressed by Ken who road his bicycle to Crater Lake and back. Sixty miles and 3600 foot elevation change. 

The weather is going to be record breaking especially when they get home to Olympia. Stay cool everyone. 

17BC1784-D835-4825-B768-33C3408B80A0.jpeg

• Like 27

5 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@kazuHappy Anniversary.

You grow beautiful flowers.

1 minute ago, Overhead Fred said:

Happy Anniversary Jacqui @kazu!

Aww thanks 🙂. They are only peonies from my gardens.  Have to have flowers on birthdays, anniversaries and cruises.  It’s a kazu rule 😂 

• Like 17

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Aww thanks 🙂. They are only peonies from my gardens.  Have to have flowers on birthdays, anniversaries and cruises.  It’s a kazu rule 😂 

I have often wondered about flowers on a cruise. I had thought that agriculturally you could not bring them on board but I heard that from a non official source. Some ports I have seen the most beautiful flowers for sale I would have loved to bring some back to my cabin. 

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, lindaler said:

I have often wondered about flowers on a cruise. I had thought that agriculturally you could not bring them on board but I heard that from a non official source. Some ports I have seen the most beautiful flowers for sale I would have loved to bring some back to my cabin. 

When we board in Seattle the flower market at Pike Place is hopping, so many people carry them on board. I never have because I always wondered what I would put them in. 

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, lindaler said:

What I read in the past was that flowers can be brought on the ship, but can't be removed from the ship at any port.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Good morning,

Busy day in store so I won't have time to look at everybody's posts until later.  For starters, Dear Dad leaves for a trip to see friends today, so I have to get him packed and situated.  The heat wave looms and nobody here is looking forward to it, the only good thing for me is I am booked at a hotel for 3 nights, but I still worry about the cat or the power going out and losing food/meat, etc.  I still worry about having to go out in it.  I have lived in many hot climates, including Phoenix, so I know what real heat feels like.  Crossing my fingers everything will be okay.

Will check back later.

Have a good day!

• Like 17

29 minutes ago, lindaler said:

You can DEFINITELY bring flowers on board.  Guaranteed.  I do it all the time.  No problem at all.  BUT, you can’t take them OFF the ship.

If in doubt, ask on board but it’s definitely allowed and if they are delicate security lets me pass them to them and they check them themselves 🙂 

6 minutes ago, richwmn said:

What I read in the past was that flowers can be brought on the ship, but can't be removed from the ship at any port.

Yes!  Absolutely correct.

22 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

When we board in Seattle the flower market at Pike Place is hopping, so many people carry them on board. I never have because I always wondered what I would put them in. 

You can ask for a vase from the florist or bring one with you.  if you are picking them up at Seattle, there are probably vases there or pick one up at a Dollar Store, Tree (whatever it is called).  Amazon has some collapsible ones that can be used too.  They are usually too light for my arrangements.

6 minutes ago, garlictown said:

💐Congratulations and Best Wishes on your Anniversary @kazu!!💐

I can recall cruisers bringing fresh flowers to brighten their stateroom. 😉

Katie

b547d93765a4166fd8ba95d2e18678c1.jpg

Thanks Katie.  I often bring flowers on board in various ports.  Makes me smile as it’s a souvenir of the port to enjoy in the cabin.

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Happy Anniversary, Jacqui ( @kazu) & Jose!

Thanks 🙂 

• Like 16

Good morning, all! Of the days offered, I’ll go with Fairy Day. If we had them, I’m sure they’d be enjoying the flowers and the bird bath and hide from the heat there along with the birds. I love the quote from Lincoln. That’s my chuckle for the day. 
I didn’t realize that Rich left out the meal suggestion by mistake. I thought the meal suggestion was having the Drink of the Day as a meal. It’s basically a banana smoothie with a kick. In this weather, that works for me.😁

Today is the last nice day before the forecast heat hits lower BC and the Pacific Northwest. I finally get my hair cut today, for the first time in a year. Thank goodness for that second shot!

The forecast high for Chilliwack on Monday has bumped up to 45C/ 113F. That can’t possibly even be real. The weather department has obviously been selecting their meals from the Drink of the Day menu. However, the plants are loving this!

Todays picture of the bouquet lily.

442332C8-274F-41E5-A574-9500C1F435B0.thumb.jpeg.ee6e865264f18b6fdcaf0072b50c5bc6.jpeg

And the banana plant, for @atexsix

63D4CBC4-CE1B-4F7F-A444-D9A9685BA09B.thumb.jpeg.c4a868226dc433ff91bd59cbe50dab84.jpeg

And of course, Happy Thursday. This weather would be perfect on a BHB!

0032A8A0-23CD-4749-AB1D-00505F12EE38.thumb.jpeg.fdd9fa86deb46eff193e38d825c73911.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Ann I couldn't drink this wine.. green peppers make me burp!! 😅

Giggles!  I often find some taste like green peppers, and I don’t like those wines!  

So appreciating having the name of the wine  on the list!  Thanks Ann! 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Of the days offered, I’ll go with Fairy Day. If we had them, I’m sure they’d be enjoying the flowers and the bird bath and hide from the heat there along with the birds. I love the quote from Lincoln. That’s my chuckle for the day. 
I didn’t realize that Rich left out the meal suggestion by mistake. I thought the meal suggestion was having the Drink of the Day as a meal. It’s basically a banana smoothie with a kick. In this weather, that works for me.😁

Today is the last nice day before the forecast heat hits lower BC and the Pacific Northwest. I finally get my hair cut today, for the first time in a year. Thank goodness for that second shot!

The forecast high for Chilliwack on Monday has bumped up to 45C/ 113F. That can’t possibly even be real. The weather department has obviously been selecting their meals from the Drink of the Day menu. However, the plants are loving this!

Todays picture of the bouquet lily.

442332C8-274F-41E5-A574-9500C1F435B0.thumb.jpeg.ee6e865264f18b6fdcaf0072b50c5bc6.jpeg

And the banana plant, for @atexsix

63D4CBC4-CE1B-4F7F-A444-D9A9685BA09B.thumb.jpeg.c4a868226dc433ff91bd59cbe50dab84.jpeg

And of course, Happy Thursday. This weather would be perfect on a BHB!

0032A8A0-23CD-4749-AB1D-00505F12EE38.thumb.jpeg.fdd9fa86deb46eff193e38d825c73911.jpeg

WOWOW!  Now that's on par with the bananas I saw in Hawaii, as big as people's rooftops.  We had one banana we kept indoors that got to about 4 to 5 feet, but then we moved and it did not survive the ordeal.  What we have now is the offspring of that plant.  I will get a picture up soon. 

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We're having a 2-day respite from the extreme heat hitting the PNW.  We're seriously thinking of putting in a portable A/C unit in the bedroom, but need to find one that would work with our window and room darkening shade -- a task I've given to DH. 😉  Unfortunately Monday is predicted to be 109 degrees F in the town my BFF and I meet for lunches, I guess we'll be postponing this month's lunch!

I would love to be in a pool with this heat, laps or no laps!  Lemon garlic salmon is my favorite way to have salmon, this recipe sounds yummy.  Our VOV in 2018 missed Red Bay, we've always been so disappointed about that -- but since hearing about the black flies and bites, I'm not sorry now!

Happy Birthday @Sharon in AZI hope you have a lovely day!

We tried that last year, room Ac and window darkening shades.  We like you haven’t ever really needed Ac but this year we have been in the thirties aka 90s F a lot lately.   So glad we put in the Ac last fall. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Love Fairies & Faeries.  One of our memorable days was in Galway Ireland where we saw where the faeries entered and exited 😉 

Love the quote by Lincoln.  So good!

The meal suggestion is great but since it’s our anniversary, we’re having beef tenderloin tonight with onion rings (yum) and wine 😄   Thanks to the border protests at NB and NS, DH was unable to buy me flowers so it’s the first time in 26 years I didn’t get them to mark the day.  I told him not to worry, there’s lots of flowers here 😄 

04D63A87-AC54-4ECE-8F5F-71B81B128F4F.thumb.jpeg.86e325a2e711c4f709da35f03875f103.jpeg

Wishing @Sharon in AZ a very happy birthday!

EC28DBBA-AD45-4806-B026-9AE3F5419AEC.jpeg.36ebe1eccc3c41cea40fc3d80a35d0a8.jpeg

I felt badly about venting earlier this week so I went to the doctor for tests 😉 

320572B5-5857-4744-9C84-9956A1B6AE37.thumb.jpeg.19fd30590ee0ea2eef2e6f97f1cf8cd9.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!

A1F9A8CC-74F9-40C3-8EB0-D27D5ACD4E7F.thumb.jpeg.32e7e3f3361452c8c0dd6ca3d7e5c899.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

Happy Anniversary, Jacqui. Hope you have an amazing celebration 🎉 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We tried that last year, room Ac and window darkening shades.  We like you haven’t ever really needed Ac but this year we have been in the thirties aka 90s F a lot lately.   So glad we put in the Ac last fall. 

How did it work with the shade? Were you happy/unhappy with it?   Our window slides right to left (not up and down) if that makes any difference.  Even though I like a dark room, I like a cool room even more.

• Like 8

Good afternoon.  All the days are good, but there is not a pool near us to swim laps or just laze in.  Count me as one who thinks handshaking, unless between people who are close, may become a lost art.  We have pretty much quit shaking hands on cruises because of noro, but try to explain why. 

I have a similar salmon recipe which is cooked on a cedar or alder plank on the grill.  I marinate the salmon in lemon juice, garlic and dill.  When it is ready to put on the plank, I put a light coat of olive oil on both sides of the fish.  On the non-skin side I add kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, the garlic and dill from the marinade and top with a light coat of brown sugar (which can be omitted).   We grill it for about 13 minutes at about 400F.  It can also be done in the air fryer without the plank.

Abe Lincoln's quote is very good.  I'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Red Bay, so am enjoying the pictures.

@Sharon in AZ   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  🎂🎈🥂

@kazu   HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!  🥂🌹🌺🌻🌼🌷💐

@Mr. Boston  Safe travels and enjoy your visit with your mom.

@StLouisCruisers  Safe travels back to St. Louis.  Hope you can have a good visit with DMIL and good luck to your DGS soccer team.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope they got Sam's CT scan scheduled and that it does not show any problems.  And I hope you finally have the car lease straightened out.

@smitty34877  Wishing Tana more good days than bad, and that she can get the medicine the doctor wants her to have and that it prevents further scaring. 

@cunnorl  Enjoy your surprise visit from your niece.

@lindaler  Glad you enjoyed your visit with your DS and DBIL.

Our new grand dog has really grown since DD and her SO began fostering her.  They are very happy they adopted Bee, who now weighs 24 pounds as of last Sunday.  She weighed 8 pounds when she came to them. She's still a happy puppy.

40250.jpg.86373fff460a4bc24de73c06dda29b0d.jpg

Today, I'm going to try to set up my new tablet, and if possible straighten the attic some.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20

22 minutes ago, kazu said:

Amazon has some collapsible ones that can be used too.  They are usually too light for my arrangements.

I also get flowers on cruises, and have had no problem bringing them onboard.  Last cruise I used those collapsible ones from Amazon and if I divided the arrangements between vases it worked fine -- until the night we had really rough seas and one fell over.  😫

• Like 10

Good morning and thanks all!   How about lemon garlic veal,  was at the Italian store yesterday.  
@kazuhappy anniversary, probably these are the most beautiful Flowers, perhaps DH can get you some for your half anniversary when the garden ones are not so prolific😉

@Sharon in AZhappy birthday! Enjoy the day!  
@rafinmd thanks for the care,  my DSIL is scheduled on Monday for surgery.  Praying all goes well.  

my DGD adores fairies, I have to find her books, earrings….  The fairy house she made

image.thumb.jpeg.b94e1da32d591fefad67b6c162bb636b.jpeg

Fairy Falls trail in Yellowstone

71641DCC-BE33-473E-8994-C31B2EB065FF.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 16