I’M CONFUSED AGAIN

I've never done it, but it's almost always people who don't use/aren't even aware of the cruise planner online before sailing, and are roped into purchasing it when walking up the gangway on day 1. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There will always those who don’t/won’t search for deals.  A LONG time ago, I booked a Disney trip through a local TA - flight, hotel, park passes, rental car.  Gave me a price and that was it.  As I did a little research, that price did not add up and for whatever reason, he could not give me a breakdown of component prices.  I don’t think anyone had ever questioned him before.  By the time all was said & done, the only thing we got from him was the flight.  I was able to book everything else myself cheaper.  He said he couldn’t do what I did🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️.  Saved about $700 back then and didn’t use a TA for about 20 years.
Now I know how to find what I want at a good price.  My current TA’s know me and my preferences.  God love them, they do all the heavy lifting.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2

Many people put blind trust into having someone else do things for them.  In this day of age, so easy to do yourself.  I met many people like that on ships over the years and there is no explanation.  I met one person that did not even know what excursion they booked.  

I cruised with friends a few years ago and they all paid full onboard price for drink packages.  They just didn't know they could have purchased them ahead of time at a discount.  It never occurred to me to tell them....I figured everyone knew you NEVER buy a drink package onboard.

• Like 1

There are new changes too.  If you are diamond and above you get a certain number of drinks on your card you can use at any bar all day long.  This is a change to the old policy.  I have 5 drinks and I don't think I could possibly drink 5 drinks up to $13 each on a cruise each day.  I figure some people might find it cheaper to just pay for a few more each day and it might be cheaper than the package.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just booked an hour ago. How long do I have to wait before i can access the cruise planner? In any event I’ll become frustrated and won’t be successful. Happens every time I have to do something online. My cruise leaves out on Nov 8 th. 

43 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

We never purchase a drink package, since we are moderate drinkers.   As Diamond we are satisfied with our drinks during the lengthy happy hour.

Fascinating...although not related to the original query.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ocean Cat said:

I just booked an hour ago. How long do I have to wait before i can access the cruise planner? In any event I’ll become frustrated and won’t be successful. Happens every time I have to do something online. My cruise leaves out on Nov 8 th. 

It should be available pretty quick, although looking today, for my Allure Sept cruise, prices are higher than they were a month ago..a 4th of July sail MAY be coming..who knows?  I booked drink package at $58, it was higher yesterday...but I haven't checked today.  Frankly, I don't expect it to go lower than $58.  

1 hour ago, Dajbman22 said:

I've never done it, but it's almost always people who don't use/aren't even aware of the cruise planner online before sailing, and are roped into purchasing it when walking up the gangway on day 1. 

Day one the sale that they were offering on board was the same sale that I got on Black Friday.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Day one the sale that they were offering on board was the same sale that I got on Black Friday.

Probably depends on the amount of prepurchases to determine if they’ll offer discount prices onboard or not. 

1 minute ago, HicksRA said:

Probably depends on the amount of pre purchases to determine if they’ll offer discount prices onboard or not. 

I think the sales are all just B.S. marketing. After following drink package sales for a year the price only fluctuated a dollar or two.  The first day is a money grab from all of the newbies. I have yet to board any cruise line on day one where they didn't offer a drink package, specialty restaurant or internet service sale.  The only deal I got on Black Friday was the refreshment package for $18 and I was able to buy one refreshment and one Deluxe pre cruise by calling when the Black Friday sale was starting. I would have paid more on board for the refreshment package. Also I would have had to buy two deluxe packages on board. But for those who would be buying two deluxe packages there was no difference in price buying it on board.

Money means different things to different people. I stood at the bar last week and watched someone pay boarding day price for the package and tip the bartender a $100 bill. Solo, older guy. Doubt he had a care in the world about how much money he could have saved booking ahead.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Jasukkie said:

Money means different things to different people. I stood at the bar last week and watched someone pay boarding day price for the package and tip the bartender a $100 bill. Solo, older guy. Doubt he had a care in the world about how much money he could have saved booking ahead.

This.  For some people, it's not worth the effort to save a few bucks.  

• Like 1

You say that but it can add up quick.  I don’t really drink at home but on a cruise, I am NOT driving or responsible for small children.  I start the day with a couple of cups of GOOD coffee with Baileys, 2-3 frozen drinks in the afternoon along with club soda, couple of glasses of wine with dinner and at least one more drink during the evening although I tend to switch to club soda pretty quickly.  Then a couple of bottles of water for the room.  The drink package is usually cheaper than paying OOP for that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think the sales are all just B.S. marketing. After following drink package sales for a year the price only fluctuated a dollar or two.  The first day is a money grab from all of the newbies. I have yet to board any cruise line on day one where they didn't offer a drink package, specialty restaurant or internet service sale.  The only deal I got on Black Friday was the refreshment package for $18 and I was able to buy one refreshment and one Deluxe pre cruise by calling when the Black Friday sale was starting. I would have paid more on board for the refreshment package. Also I would have had to buy two deluxe packages on board. But for those who would be buying two deluxe packages there was no difference in price buying it on board.

We got the package for our Sept and Oct cruises for $43/day many months ago.  Since then, I've consistently seen it priced (for the same cruises) at $50 or $57.  I will definitely check to see what it's being sold on board for!

13 minutes ago, rajacks said:

We got the package for our Sept and Oct cruises for $43/day many months ago.  Since then, I've consistently seen it priced (for the same cruises) at $50 or $57.  I will definitely check to see what it's being sold on board for!

Keep in mind that we are in different times. $43 dollars is unheard of and an excellent price. Congratulations. I paid $49 two years ago. Even 50 to 57 is a good price. I always check pricing when I board just as a point of reference because I always pre purchase and I'm just curious. I never expect it to be less than what I paid.