Disturbing New Things on Two Carnival Ships Now Cruising

Djptcp

58 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I imagine all the restaurants will be using QR codes.  I will be shocked if they don’t have paper menus.  If they don’t, they clearly don’t know their customer base.

The cruise lines are trying different things . Just like restaurants all over the World  .some things will work and some will not . and some things from the past might come back.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Technology is wonderful, except when it does not work.

In 2019 we went out for dinner on our anniversary. We try to eat by water. (A cruise works very well 😊.)  But in that year we were home at the time. We went to a location where we could sit on a deck by water. We had been there before, but there were new owners now though they were a local restaurant that we had frequented previously but now had changed locations.

The waitress took our order, but instead of the tried and true method of writing it down used something that looked like a smartphone. We were served our salads and chatted amiably, and then realized our main courses were taking a long time. I looked into the inside portion of the restaurant and saw several tables who were not there when we arrived were now eating. I went and complained, and learned that either the waitress had not did whatever  she needed to do to send in the order or it had not worked. Between that and the restaurant had now become quite busy including a very large table, our order was now pushed way back. We were about to say to hell with this and leave when the manager came and profusely apologized and said both our order would come soon and the dinner was being comped.

The next time we went out to eat at a place near where we were staying to be able to get a shuttle to the airport for the plane to our cruise port, I told the waitress the story and she sneered at the use of this "wonderful" new technology replacing pen and paper.

Funny, we just experienced this last night at dinner.  The restaurant was short staffed, the wait staff was "older" and they were "running" to keep up, our order was not correct, the credit card was swiped with the waitstaff's hand-held device and when asked if we wanted a receipt she sighed and said she had to run elsewhere to get the receipt.  We talked about how easy the table top computers were for ordering and paying and she sneered at us saying she prefers "personal" contact. 

11 hours ago, RuthC said:

My suggestion? Do as I do: don't worry about it. Let those who create the problem also have the solution for you. 

Yep,  I am all aboard with technology and haven't touched a paper receipt in years but do agree.  This is a leisure industry desperately trying to grab our discretionary income, if wise, they are not going to put up too many obstacles

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

Truthfully, restaurant managers by and large are not going to care a bit about "one off" experiences like the two immediately above. "Stuff" is going to happen via either methodology.

What they ARE going to care about is the better tracking and management tools they will be able to use when ordering is electronic. They can tell what is selling fast and what they are running low on. They can see which staff are most productive. They can update menus on the fly. They can track sales. And on and on...

I fully understand that change is difficult for some, but it is coming whether you embrace it or not. Might as well not be one of those who cuts off their nose to spite their face (e.g., "foregoes" cruising because they do not want to own or learn to operate a smart phone).  

It is likely not here quite yet, but I foresee the day when traveling without a smart phone will be at best onerous (e.g., you'll be "the one" that always has to go into a separate line at check-in, or that has to wait 15 minutes in the restaurant while they try to locate a printed menu that's current, etc.), at worst impossible.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Truthfully, restaurant managers by and large are not going to care a bit about "one off" experiences like the two immediately above. "Stuff" is going to happen via either methodology.

What they ARE going to care about is the better tracking and management tools they will be able to use when ordering is electronic. They can tell what is selling fast and what they are running low on. They can see which staff are most productive. They can update menus on the fly. They can track sales. And on and on...

I fully understand that change is difficult for some, but it is coming whether you embrace it or not. Might as well not be one of those who cuts off their nose to spite their face (e.g., "foregoes" cruising because they do not want to own or learn to operate a smart phone).  

It is likely not here quite yet, but I foresee the day when traveling without a smart phone will be at best onerous (e.g., you'll be "the one" that always has to go into a separate line at check-in, or that has to wait 15 minutes in the restaurant while they try to locate a printed menu that's current, etc.), at worst impossible.

I agree.  I have watched my soon to be 90 year old mother resist and refuse to use technology that would have made her life easier and allowed her to communicate with her family.  I made a pledge to myself I would not due the same.  Change is inevitable, you can embrace it or get left behind.  If you choose the later, no one will care.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I agree.  I have watched my soon to be 90 year old mother resist and refuse to use technology that would have made her life easier and allowed her to communicate with her family.  I made a pledge to myself I would not due the same.  Change is inevitable, you can embrace it or get left behind.  If you choose the later, no one will care.

I think you have to stay up todate with new technology even in your 70s 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I think you have to stay up todate with new technology even in your 70s 

You so do, at least for the basics.  At one time I was the "expert" in our large company when it came to PCs (bought the first one in 1982) and everyone came to me for advice.  Now (long retired) NO ONE asks ME for advice, I have to check with my 11 year old grandkids!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some of the info shared in threads like these make me hesitant to retire. In the last year the pandemic accelerated the adoption of a lot of electronic communications in my company and we have all been required to master Skype, Zoom, MS Teams and other platforms/apps that were sort of "fringe" until everyone began working remote. Would I continue to stay up to date on my own, without the business need?  Likely not as much...

On the other hand, I know people tend to learn and use those applications that really add value. For example, I find it extremely useful to deposit my checks via my smartphone. And definitely see the value for travel, whether it is having my boarding pass on my phone or being able to keep in touch with local tour agencies, hotels, etc.

• Like 1

@cruisemom42. I think tech people are tech people.  I have always enjoyed the latest computers but never was a fan of cell phones. I never owned one until they became smart and I could recognize them as a computer.  So here I was, late in the game, not knowing how to use the phone features.  My 80+ yo mother taught me how to text and my 60+ yo sister taught me how to talk to the phone.    In my experience it is not age dependent.   It is sort of like travel.  Some people will never wander more than Grandma's house for Thanksgiving and when they retire they tend to dig in.   Then there are people who love travel and will travel more frequently in their retirement.  

I think the title of this thread using the word disgusting was just a poor use of words, at least I hope so.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

We view our ipads and smartphones as enablers.   Our quality of life has been enhanced by them.   They more than pay for themselves from the savings we might not have otherwise been able to realize.  They have enhanced our lives considerably, more so than we ever imagined by just going paperless.

From the ability to manage our personal finances remotely,  spontaneously shop travel products while traveling (sometimes the next days lodging, flight or perhaps a last minute cruise), or facetime/zoom our distant grandchildren from home ....or from some out of the way international location. 

Even though we have been using them for ten years we still feel like amateurs when we get tips and advice on using them from fellow travelers who are ten and fifteen years older that we who are nudging 70.

Sure, there are some downsides to technology and no doubt glass half empty folks will always find them and point them out.  There will always be people who look at all the reasons not to do something vs. all the reasons for doing it.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think the title of this thread using the word disgusting was just a poor use of words, at least I hope so.  

I think the actual word was disturbing, but in any event, a bit over the top when discussing QR codes vs. paper menus.

• Like 1

@cruisemom42, I'm almost 69 and still working, and you're right, if you want to continue to work in today's world, you have to master the basics of the current technology.

This morning I had a doctor's appt., and a gentleman who I'm guessing was mid to late 80s came up to the receptionist's desk to check in.  She handed him a paper  questionnaire to fill out and he told he had already submitted the info via his phone while sitting out in his car.  I thought to myself "good for you!".

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Roz said:

I think the actual word was disturbing, but in any event, a bit over the top when discussing QR codes vs. paper menus.

Yes, you are right, either way, not good

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RuthC said:

My suggestion? Do as I do: don't worry about it. Let those who create the problem also have the solution for you. 

For those truly uncomfortable with technology, this is the best, and possibly the only practical, advice in the last 6 pages.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, RuthC said:

I don't have a smart phone, don't want or need one, and have no intention of getting one. As it is, I resent the $15/month I pay to have my flip phone work in case of emergency. 
If HAL wants to make everything on board electronic, they can accommodate those of us who prefer an older, more gracious, way of sailing. 

Ruth, It is not so much about HAL (or other cruise lines) as it is all about dealing with foreign governments and their rapidly evolving rules/procedures.  That is why I specifically mentioned details that have been imposed by Greece and Barbados (places we are going to embark on cruises).  Perhaps it will still be possible to travel without a working Smartphone, but at the current time there are multiple countries (around the world) that have made it nearly impossible.   As to HAL, we think that compared to many other cruise lines they are still in the 20th century (as are many of their best customers).  I would assume that HAL will continue to offer non tech alternatives for many of their older clients.   For folks such as yourself who do not intend to get a Smartphone, they are just going to need to limit their travel to places where a phone is not necessary.  

Folks also need to be very aware that most COVID test results (often required for travel) come via a person's e-mail.  In many cases, when people are in travel status they do not have the luxury of going back to a testing center to get a hard copy.  How long this COVID thing will haunt us is unknown but it certainly is not going away any time soon.   Speaking of Smartphones, just owning one is not good enough as the key is that it much work in various places around the world.  Some plans such as T-Mobile include that kind of coverage while other plans (such as Verizon) have an additional fee (and procedures) for International coverage.   We first got an education on using Smartphones overseas when we were on a long Prinsendam cruise in Europe.  One evening, while sitting in the Crows Nest with several members of the crew (including Captain Gundersen) we noticed several entertainers using their phones while we were about 15 miles off the coast of Italy.  They told us that they all had T-Mobile because it worked in most countries (with no extra monthly fees) and they were able to reach a shore-based cell from the Crows Nest.  When we got home we paid a visit to our local T-Mobile dealer, got an education, and signed up for their Senior Plan (at the time it was $50 a month which included both of our phones).  

Hank

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Roz said:

@cruisemom42, I'm almost 69 and still working, and you're right, if you want to continue to work in today's world, you have to master the basics of the current technology.

This morning I had a doctor's appt., and a gentleman who I'm guessing was mid to late 80s came up to the receptionist's desk to check in.  She handed him a paper  questionnaire to fill out and he told he had already submitted the info via his phone while sitting out in his car.  I thought to myself "good for you!".

So he had already submitted the check in information via phone while sitting in his car, but the receptionist still asked him to fill in a paper questionnaire. Doesn't this sound like the doctor's office wasn't checking it was filled in prior to entering?

16 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So he had already submitted the check in information via phone while sitting in his car, but the receptionist still asked him to fill in a paper questionnaire. Doesn't this sound like the doctor's office wasn't checking it was filled in prior to entering?

I have no idea.  They were really busy.  She saw his info once he brought it to her attention.  She may have just been used to older patients asking for the paper version.

• Like 2

You are right. Once you get into tech. You have to keep upgrading. I learned the hard way. Years ago a bought an expensive computerized sewing machine. I kept getting notices to upgrade upgrade etc etc. I thought sure,they just want more money.  Big mistake. I could no longer design embroideries for my projects. I did get my daughters wedding gown done. Thank goodness. 

We in Canada suffer from having among the highest mobile plan fees and retail bank service fees in the world.

So wish we had a plan like T-mobile's Magenta Plus but we do not.  In our travels to other countries we notice adverts for their plans and cringe when we compare it to our substandard plans/costs.   The only way we can get it is to sign up with a US convenience address and autopay.

It is the price that we pay for being incredibly apathetic and accepting of any old nonsense that large corporations in regulated industries shove down our naive throats.

• Like 2

Years ago I was in line to see The Book of Kells in Dublin.  The line was going to be over 1 hour.  I spotted a sign that said - skip the line - buy your tickets online.    I pulled out my phone, found the website and booked my tickets in less than 5 minutes.    No more line - I was able to go the the special pre paid access door.   

Having a smart phone today is like having a car - do you need one?  No you can walk pretty much anywhere, take taxis or the bus etc.   But having a smart phone and knowing how to use it makes things much easier.   

Is using a phone simple - No.   But neither is driving a car - so you take lessons. 

You can still travel today without a computer - call people on the phone and make reservations.   I know some people who don't have computers and they have their travel agent do it all for them - old school - the agent does the online check in for them and mails them the stuff.   I have met people who have never made an airline reservation or hotel reservation themselves - they are still able to travel, but its much harder when something changes, but they understand and accept the occasional difficulty.

So it will always be possible to get around without using the internet, but being able to use a phone or internet opens up more possibilities - especially in travel.  

Everyone reading this has figured out how to get a computer and log onto the internet.   If you can figure out how to work cruise critic, you can master a smart phone.   

Nothing wrong with not having a phone or computer and you will always be accomodated, but sometimes your level of service will be less than it may have been otherwise.  

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, KirkNC said:
1 hour ago, AKJonesy said:

Agree.  This topic has been beat to death and then some.  Ridiculous.  

So quite reading it and posting on the thread.

All posters are welcome here, not just those that agree with a particular point of view.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Ruth, It is not so much about HAL (or other cruise lines) as it is all about dealing with foreign governments and their rapidly evolving rules/procedures.  That is why I specifically mentioned details that have been imposed by Greece and Barbados (places we are going to embark on cruises).  Perhaps it will still be possible to travel without a working Smartphone, but at the current time there are multiple countries (around the world) that have made it nearly impossible.   As to HAL, we think that compared to many other cruise lines they are still in the 20th century (as are many of their best customers).  I would assume that HAL will continue to offer non tech alternatives for many of their older clients.   For folks such as yourself who do not intend to get a Smartphone, they are just going to need to limit their travel to places where a phone is not necessary.  

Folks also need to be very aware that most COVID test results (often required for travel) come via a person's e-mail.  In many cases, when people are in travel status they do not have the luxury of going back to a testing center to get a hard copy.  How long this COVID thing will haunt us is unknown but it certainly is not going away any time soon.   Speaking of Smartphones, just owning one is not good enough as the key is that it much work in various places around the world.  Some plans such as T-Mobile include that kind of coverage while other plans (such as Verizon) have an additional fee (and procedures) for International coverage.   We first got an education on using Smartphones overseas when we were on a long Prinsendam cruise in Europe.  One evening, while sitting in the Crows Nest with several members of the crew (including Captain Gundersen) we noticed several entertainers using their phones while we were about 15 miles off the coast of Italy.  They told us that they all had T-Mobile because it worked in most countries (with no extra monthly fees) and they were able to reach a shore-based cell from the Crows Nest.  When we got home we paid a visit to our local T-Mobile dealer, got an education, and signed up for their Senior Plan (at the time it was $50 a month which included both of our phones).  

Hank

Be aware that TMobile has been known to randomly cut off international access for customers that they deem to use excessive international data.  We were one of those customers who received a text stating that we were in violation of our customer agreement due to what they deemed excessive international usage.  We were traveling a lot at the time but only using it for emails and occasional Google maps and such.   Why they do this to some and not others is unknown by me.  We called when we returned to the states and were told that the next time we used international data our account would be locked.  They offered no alternative so we now use Google Fi.

• Like 1

Just now, KirkNC said:

Be aware that TMobile has been known to randomly cut off international access for customers that they deem to use excessive international data.  We were one of those customers who received a text stating that we were in violation of our customer agreement due to what they deemed excessive international usage.  We were traveling a lot at the time but only using it for emails and occasional Google maps and such.   Why they do this to some and not others is unknown by me.  We called when we returned to the states and were told that the next time we used international data our account would be locked.  They offered no alternative so we now use Google Fi.

I heard this and so I decided to stay with ATT and buy the monthly international pass that gets you 6GB.    For now, the price differences between ATT and others are worth it for me to change.  But if you are starting out - I have heard wonderful stuff about Google Fi and other options.