Best Excursions CCL excursions in Roatan and Belize?

Eli_6

We were originally supposed to go to Jamaica and Cayman, but our itinerary changed.  I have been to both before and wasn't crazy about either of my excursions at the time so am looking for recommendations for both ports. In Mahogany Bay, I thought Big French Key looked interesting. Any thoughts?  In Belize, I am torn between Snorkeling at Hol Chan Marine Reserve-Small Group, 4x4 Jeep Adventure to Altun Ha Mayan City, Lamanai: Majestic Ceremonial Ruins & River Cruise, and Xunantunich Mayan Ruins with Lunch.

We have done this trip many times.

In Mahogany Bay we usually do Little French Key, it’s the private excursion version of Big French Key. There are lots of comments/opinions about this tour provider and issues they have had. You can research for yourself. I’ll just say we have been there twice and enjoyed ourselves and are booked for a third time.

In the past we just stayed on the ship In Belize.This time we are trying Goffs Snorkeling in Belize on this next trip. It’s got do do reviews, but I found a cheaper option and was able to book through Carnival and use their price protection guarantee and got $16 per person OBC. I couldn’t beat the price.

47 minutes ago, ajs2294 said:

Belize cave tubing gets great reviews, still regret not going when we had the chance. 

We did this and it was fantastic! However, we did have to walk for quite a while (half hour?) to get to the river from where the bus dropped us off. I loved it, very jungle-like. But important to know if you have difficulty walking far. When we finished rafting, we were near the bus.

Cave tubing in Belize was fun but quite a hike (I thought 45 minutes long) and then a short walk at the end back to the vans.  We enjoyed Carnival's Goff's Cay.  The small boat ride was 30-45 minutes long and quite bouncy.  Very relaxing at Goff's Cay.

In Roatan we took Carnival's excursion to Tabyana Beach and it was great.  About a 30 minute van ride and we had a guide take us on a snorkeling tour which was lovely.  Another cruise we did the Pirates of the Caribbean extreme zip lining tour.  Fun, but the beach they took us to after was meh. I would go back to Tabyana Beach.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

It isn't a Carnival excursion, however Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout Is amazing in Roatan!!! We've been twice and honestly don't think we could ever go there without picking it! We paid $55 per person for them to pick us up at Port in a private car, drive us to the Sanctuary where we got to play with monkeys and hold a sloth, then went snorkeling, and then driven to wherever (first time drove to the opposite side of the island for fish tacos, second went to a resort where we ate and laid on the beach ) and back to Port. You can find a million reviews for the place and I couldn't recommend more. 

I've seen other people mention Little French Key and if you care about animals, don't support them. They have also done a lot of damage to the local reefs due to their "resort". 

As for Belize, if you enjoy snorkeling, anything will be amazing! It's some of the best snorkeling I think I've ever done! 

• Like 2

We have a cruise there in Sept. I booked Carnival excursions in both. Roatan we're doing the overwater bungalow (A splurge for us but not much more than a swimming with dolphins excursion for the both of us), and cave tubing for Belize. 

• Like 1

We have done Victor Bodden private tours in Roatan the 2 times we have been and if we can do a private excursion in November we will do so again. We will get a driver and a private vehicle and go see the sloths, the iguana farm, and West Bay beach for some time at Bananarama.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ajs2294 said:

Belize cave tubing gets great reviews, still regret not going when we had the chance. 

2 hours ago, loohoo1 said:

We did this and it was fantastic! However, we did have to walk for quite a while (half hour?) to get to the river from where the bus dropped us off. I loved it, very jungle-like. But important to know if you have difficulty walking far. When we finished rafting, we were near the bus.

The cave tubing in Belize was really great!  Just make sure the light on your helmet works before you start the hike to the river that flows into and out of the cave.  For Mahogany Bay we hired a private minivan and did a whole island tour.  It was cheap and the locals were so appreciative to have our business.  The guy who runs the tour business donates to the local soccer league and field/lighting and is well respected on the island, despite being under 40 years of age.  Highly recommend that - oh, they stop at his house and you get to go inside and meet his wife and kids, and have some local/homemade rum, delicious and if you ask nicely you'll get a second.  Kinda like a Pirate Punch and after two you might just find yourself talking like a pirate.  Arrrrr...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Trueblueky said:

Lamanai is a great tour.  When we went, you could climb to the top.  I don't know about now.  I do know that isn't true at all Mayan sites.

I second this. When I went (2016) you could climb to the top of one of the pyramids. Spectacular Mayan ruins.

The excursion includes a bus ride through Belize (flat, very poor) to a boat ride up the river to get to the ruins. After the ruins are explored, a lovely lunch is served where the boat drops you back off before you take the bus back to the boat. Very full day.

As for Roatan, I did a snorkeling expedition. The snorkeling was excellent, but the boat was way way overcrowded and I didn’t enjoy that; if you can find a small group for a snorkeling expedition, much better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ajs2294 said:

Another vote for the cave tubing. Ours was paired with zip lining. I'd skip the zip lining if I did it again. It was a beautiful area, but they're about 40yd runs so all you focus on is slamming into the tree\landing and don't take in much else.

I liked visiting Roatan. First trip we went to Tabyana Beach where I snorkeled for the first time. Very nice beach, snorkeling was great. Second time we booked a sloth, snorkel, and Little French Key excursion. So fun to hold a sloth! Husband got nauseous during snorkeling part so we didn't really experience Little French Key since he just lay in a lounger recovering. Waiter mixed him up something to help him feel better and was very attentive.

Snorkeling in Roatan, every time. In the past, I've done Turquoise Bay (waaaaay before it became a cruise ship excursion) and Gumbalimba Park, but the snorkeling there is (in my opinion) the best in the Caribbean, and I go every time a cruise stops there. As for Belize, river tubing is always good, as are the Mayan ruins. Just depends on what you enjoy. 

Have to second the recommendation for Daniel Johnson's Sanctuary in Roatan.  You can book it on their website for as little as 30.00 pp, which includes roundtrip transportation and admittance.  There are optional add ons if desired.  We did this excursion a few years ago while visiting on the NCL Escape and will do it again in November while on the Mardi Gras. Edit.  The highlight is being able to hold a sloth.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

We have done Victor Bodden private tours in Roatan the 2 times we have been and if we can do a private excursion in November we will do so again. We will get a driver and a private vehicle and go see the sloths, the iguana farm, and West Bay beach for some time at Bananarama.

Love Bananarama!  I would love to do a land vacation there for a week!  Anyone ever stay here? TIA!

• Like 2

Here is my review of the carnival Lamanai tour. If you have your heart set on climbing the high temple, check on that first. I just had a big disappointment when I couldn’t climb the big temple at Coba a couple weeks ago.

https://saintgregtravel.com/belize-lamanai-mayan-ruins/

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

Belize: I enjoyed Lamanai so much more than the minor ruin at Altun Ha.  Hol Chan is a fantastic place to snorkel and intermingle with nurse sharks and sting rays.  Cave tubing is a nice way to spend a day.

Roatan has great snorkeling opportunities, pick the one that suits your style:  from a catamaran tour, at a small group in Little French Key, on your own in Maya Key or Tabyana Beach.  I wasn't fond of Mahogany Bay or the latest beach club added to the excursion list....oh whats that name?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the recs!  I am definitely interested in the Lamanai upon reading more about it.  I am currently working on my MSC in history at The University of Edinburgh in Scotland (albeit, due to Covid, I am doing it from Texas) so the history of this place is right up my alley. I am hoping it doesn't book up so I can use some of my on board credit, but planning to do it. (I have $850 OBC to spend.)

I booked the Catamaran cruise in Cozumel as we have done that before, I loved it, and it is about to book up.  So, if I could do some good snorkeling in Roatan, that would be great!     

13 hours ago, Trueblueky said:

Lamanai is a great tour.  When we went, you could climb to the top.  I don't know about now.  I do know that isn't true at all Mayan sites.

Yes we were there Sept 2018 and we got to climb about 3 of them. The lunch was great and the river cruise. Actually this was one of the best Ive been on with Carnival.