Edge Late Leaving St Maarten Due To Late Returning Passengers

RICCruisers

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Gene Sloan (via ThePointsGuy) is Tweeting saying per Celebrity, this story is not true.

The tweet and Tony’s video at La Lido Loca from this morning on this (Gene’s source) have both been removed. He may have received inaccurate info. 

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

The tweet and Tony’s video at La Lido Loca from this morning on this (Gene’s source) have both been removed. He may have received inaccurate info. 

I saw that too. I, personally, would not be calling Capt. Kate a liar.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 11:06 PM, Bailey & Sophie said:

I've watched many youtube videos of pier runners missing the ship. I've never seen luggage on the pier for them. If people are 45-60 minutes late, is that even enough time to determine that thay are indeed NOT returning on time, AND enough time to pack up the room?

I've heard that about "packing up your room". I  doubt that is true. I agree, not enough time. I've also heard that they will check your safe for your passport. That seems much more likely. All aboard time is usually 30 minutes+ prior to departure so they would have an extra 30 minutes ahead of departure to establish you are not on the ship and begin preparing for you to not return. 

2 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Yet another plot twist. I know Celebrity is always hush hush about onboard events involving guests, but this particular situation (if true) would bolster their position that they aren't messing around. I don't see any reason to deny it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kearney said:

Didn't someone quote the Captain or say that another party had heard it from Captain Kate?

Someone onboard Edge quoted Captain Kate.  The post said "Per Captain Kate..."

It seems strange that someone would just make it up, but it is possible.   More likely I think is there was some kind of NDA between Celebrity Cruise the passengers who got kicked off.   Something like don't make a fuzz don't go to the press and we will pay for your travel back home.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:06 PM, Bailey & Sophie said:

I've watched many youtube videos of pier runners missing the ship. I've never seen luggage on the pier for them. If people are 45-60 minutes late, is that even enough time to determine that thay are indeed NOT returning on time, AND enough time to pack up the room?

If they have made a habit of it, absolutely.

I was on RCCL (one of the Radiance class ships) on a 12-night med cruise in 2016. First port, we hear a list of names announced to please contact Guest Services. Most only once, but one couple multiple times. Finally we set sail. Next port, fewer names in the list - but the same couple's name. Over and over and over. Next port, I was at dinner at the time we were supposed to be leaving. The announcement happened just as my server was coming over, so he waited (always good to listen just to make sure your card didn't not scan when you reboarded). SAME couple's name was called again. My server said "Their stateroom is being packed now. They are being disembarked." One of his friends was their cabin steward and after the second time they were late, they were met by the Captain and told in no uncertain terms that if they were late again, they would be removed from the ship. From what my server said, his friend, the hotel director, and a couple of other cabin stewards were to be ready to go as soon as all-aboard hit and the couple was not back.

We could see the bags being taken out onto the pier - the couple in question never appeared before we left. I guess they figured once they were late there was no point to rush.

On 7/10/2021 at 10:52 AM, RICCruisers said:

Here is the final determination on the original topic of this post from a passenger onboard Edge.

**UPDATE**

Per Captian Kate: These passengers were unvaccinated travelers. All unvaccinated passengers were only allowed to get off at ports of call on Celebrity Curated Excursions. These guests chose to wonder onto St Martin on their own. Due to their actions when they returned they had to go through a St Martin Health Authorization screening and get cleared to be on the island as they were booted off the ship for violating protocols for a healthy return to sailing. Good to see the protocols working.

kinda dumb to tell the truth about not being vaccinated and still leave the ship.

if they werent going to follow the rules, they should have just lied and said they were vaccinated.

by Florida law, they dont need to show proof. (Stupid FL governor!)

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 12:16 PM, mom says said:

Thanks for posting the follow up. Excellent response to the incident, and I hope it is widely publicized, so other unvaxxed pax will think twice about thumbing their nose at the protocols.

but why did security allow them to leave the ship in the 1st place?

shouldnt their room cards be tagged with 'unvaccinated' in the computer?

thus shouldnt be allowed to leave the ship?

and how were they caught?

did the ship computer magically become aware they were unvaxx and put an alert on the guard's screen when they came back onboard?

Edited by fstuff1

12 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

kinda dumb to tell the truth about not being vaccinated and still leave the ship.

if they werent going to follow the rules, they should have just lied and said they were vaccinated.

by Florida law, they dont need to show proof. (Stupid FL governor!)

But if you are unable or unwilling to provide proof to Celebrity, you are automatically classified as unvaccinated and treated accordingly. You can't lie your way aboard as being vaccinated. Unless, of course, you provide fraudulent documentation.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

But if you are unable or unwilling to provide proof to Celebrity, you are automatically classified as unvaccinated and treated accordingly. 

oh interesting.. didnt know that Celebrity classified you as unvaxx if you didnt show proof.

good way of bypassing the stupid FL governor's law.

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

oh interesting.. didnt know that Celebrity classified you as unvaxx if you didnt show proof.

good way of bypassing the stupid FL governor's law.

Yup, that's the work-around for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

but why did security allow them to leave the ship in the 1st place?

shouldnt their room cards be tagged with 'unvaccinated' in the computer?

thus shouldnt be allowed to leave the ship?

and how were they caught?

did the ship computer magically become aware they were unvaxx and put an alert on the guard's screen when they came back onboard?

I'm quite certain they WERE tagged in the system as unvaxxed. (I am a librarian & my simple program allows me to make comments about students & it gives me an alert when I bring their account up).

I suspect they DID book a ship excursion--therefore WERE allowed off the ship, with the excursion. But at some point they decided to depart the excursion & tour on their own. When the tour operator took a head count, then takes attendance, then it is clear what happened. Alert the ship & local officials & the rest is history.

• Like 2

Greetings

If they were on a "curated tour" then they went off the ship in a group.  When they exited the ship they would have done the "ding-ding" and security would have known that they were un-vaxed but they were with the tour group.  After the tour returned they could have simply roamed back off the dock instead of boarding the ship.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KKB said:

I'm quite certain they WERE tagged in the system as unvaxxed. (I am a librarian & my simple program allows me to make comments about students & it gives me an alert when I bring their account up).

I suspect they DID book a ship excursion--therefore WERE allowed off the ship, with the excursion. But at some point they decided to depart the excursion & tour on their own. When the tour operator took a head count, then takes attendance, then it is clear what happened. Alert the ship & local officials & the rest is history.

We were on board and this is what we were told. They were made to leave the ship - but we had to wait for them to have a Covid Test before St. Maarten would allow them off the ship....

1 minute ago, desiro said:

We were on board and this is what we were told. They were made to leave the ship - but we had to wait for them to have a Covid Test before St. Maarten would allow them off the ship....

Would you mind expanding on this more, was it true Capt Kate announced this on board?  She announced an unvaxed couple (or pair) left the ship tour and would be getting kicked off?

Sounds like NDA's could be in place; I bet many would want to hear an interview from the couple.

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Would you mind expanding on this more, was it true Capt Kate announced this on board?  She announced an unvaxed couple (or pair) left the ship tour and would be getting kicked off?

Sounds like NDA's could be in place; I bet many would want to hear an interview from the couple.

I didn't hear Captain Kate's announcement but the Guest Services Officer told my husband by the Retreat Pool the next day... We saw some of the drama before we went to dinner because we overlooked the gangway from the 8th floor....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

And I'll bet that couple just cant wait to face a mob of press and explain why they were such complete idiots. 🙄 I don't think an NDA would be required for anyone with a brain, or an iota of self respect. But then again...l

We were watching from our SV balcony.  I can assure you no one was late to the ship because we had a perfect view of the gate.  We clearly saw two people taken off in a golf cart with their luggage following behind.  One of them waved to the ship. There were all kinds of rumors onboard about the reason for their departure.  We never heard the announcement, but you don’t hear them if you are in your room or on your deck. I did talk to someone who said they heard Captain Kate’s explanation of the delay. We never heard them call any names over the PA like they do when people are missing.

Sadly, we were on the MSC Meraviglia during Thanksgiving 2019 when some of our guest and others from the Carnival Vista were killed in a van accident returning to the port after a private excursion they all planned.  We also had injured passengers who were transported to the hospital. It took way more than two hours to clear out their rooms of luggage and get it off the ship before we departed.  Our butler was one of the stewards who had to help with the process. This didn’t seem like that type of a situation.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2021 at 7:08 PM, Fouremco said:

Not always, but they will if they can.

We were on a ship's tour in Bonaire in October 2019, for Edge. The excursion was a disaster, it took over an hour of very boring scenery to get to the private resort we were going to. The bus was a rickety old school bus, no air and it was painted to fit right in with Ken Kesey's "Cool Aid Acid Trip", when we finally got to the resort for lunch and a swim, the food was scant and in some cases inedible. The beach and the pool were lovely. The tour operator told us to be at the parking lot at 3:30 and we all were. No bus came to pick us up and there was no crew member with us. We had a lot of trouble getting through to Celebrity, finally someone got in touch with customer service in Miami and they got through to the ship. Another rickety old bus picked us up and behold the ship was only 15 minutes away. We were all furious but I'm sure the Captain was more so since the ship sailed about an hour and a half late. You know that cost them in port penalty fees. Most of us went to the Excursion desk to air our grievances as it was an expensive "exclusive" tour. They refunded us half the cost but it should have been the whole price. There must have been 20 of us and most were seniors but thank heaven for the couple of young men who were very tech savvy. It was a very stressful day. I wouldn't get off at Bonaire.

4 minutes ago, guidance lady said:

We were on a ship's tour in Bonaire in October 2019, for Edge. The excursion was a disaster, it took over an hour of very boring scenery to get to the private resort we were going to. The bus was a rickety old school bus, no air and it was painted to fit right in with Ken Kesey's "Cool Aid Acid Trip", when we finally got to the resort for lunch and a swim, the food was scant and in some cases inedible. The beach and the pool were lovely. The tour operator told us to be at the parking lot at 3:30 and we all were. No bus came to pick us up and there was no crew member with us. We had a lot of trouble getting through to Celebrity, finally someone got in touch with customer service in Miami and they got through to the ship. Another rickety old bus picked us up and behold the ship was only 15 minutes away. We were all furious but I'm sure the Captain was more so since the ship sailed about an hour and a half late. You know that cost them in port penalty fees. Most of us went to the Excursion desk to air our grievances as it was an expensive "exclusive" tour. They refunded us half the cost but it should have been the whole price. There must have been 20 of us and most were seniors but thank heaven for the couple of young men who were very tech savvy. It was a very stressful day. I wouldn't get off at Bonaire.

A bit off topic, but I couldn't ignore your final sentence.

DW and I have visited Bonaire on many occasions for dive holidays and cruise ports of call, and we will return very happily every time the opportunity arises. The last time we visited we rented a golf cart from Bonaire Cruisers and had a wonderful time, combining a tour of the island and snorkeling at a few of our favourite sites. Don't be discouraged by one poor excursion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, guidance lady said:

I wouldn't get off at Bonaire.

Well, you do you, of course. But our cruise visits to Bonaire have always been a highlight. Don't assume all excursions are bad because of one bad experience.

And remember next time to have the port agent contact info with you when you leave the ship. It's always printed in the daily planner.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

DW and I have visited Bonaire on many occasions for dive holidays and cruise ports of call, and we will return very happily every time the opportunity arises. The last time we visited we rented a golf cart from Bonaire Cruisers and had a wonderful time, combining a tour of the island and snorkeling at a few of our favourite sites. Don't be discouraged by one poor excursion.

But book this early... they run out of golf carts early

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I echo your sentiments about Bonaire, booked two golf carts for our group of three for our August 27 sailing.  I talked my nephew and his wife into this because I enjoyed it so much a couple of years ago.  A great excursion for a great price!  When I booked this, Debbie at Bonaire Cruisers said they were very excited - first cruise docking there since March 12, 2020.

• Like 2