Im not sure IVs r as different from regular balconies as many suggest

KKB

This is the balcony on the Carnival Vista.

Yes, it appears the walls can open to another balcony--I doubt THAT many of us use that feature.

There is a few inches of space at the top of the wall. 

But if that wall went to the ceiling, when the top window is down, they are VERY similar.

Yeah, it doesn't compensate for the loud mechanism, no way to be out on the balcony w/o the room filling with light & the A/C thing...

Perhaps those r the things that are the big issues?

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 6.46.08 PM.png

16 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Actually it is pretty common for families and friends to book adjacent rooms and open the balcony access doors between them.

14 cruises I've never done it nor never seen one open.

Doesn't mean that my personal experience is indicative. 

My guess: it is a small percentage of passengers.

But it could be a deal breaker for some for sure.

Hahaha, 

Your Title--you have to be kidding, and put up a Carnival picture?  It's space, views, salt air, no a/c, and wind that we like.  Just chilling, reading, napping, and having meals and HH out there.  We don't do the pools, this is our personal space on the ships (which takes up a lot of our days).  😎

36 minutes ago, KKB said:

Yes, it appears the walls can open to another balcony--I doubt THAT many of us use that feature.

But if that wall went to the ceiling, when the top window is down, they are VERY similar.

Yeah, it doesn't compensate for the loud mechanism, no way to be out on the balcony w/o the room filling with light & the A/C thing...

That was our thinking when we booked the IV. We haven’t had a balcony that didn’t have a lower glass portion. 

I do think the bottom portion is a bit higher on the IV. 

36 minutes ago, KKB said:

yes, those are the big issues.

When we sail with friends or family we book cabins together to open the balcony dividers.  Recently DH & I and and 1 of my  BFFs had suites next to each other.  We had the divider opened & in the a.m. while DH slept in the 2 friends had breakfast on the balcony in our PJs without ever going into the hall to get between rooms.

• Like 1

I've been on the Edge and the Carnival Vista and no the IV and Vista balconies aren't the same in the least. I love the Edge and in fact I love the IV room for what it actually is, an Oceanview cabin with a window that opens and can be kept that way. 

Edited by kwokpot

8 minutes ago, cluso said:

Hahaha, 

Your Title--you have to be kidding, and put up a Carnival picture?  It's space, views, salt air, no a/c, and wind that we like.  Just chilling, reading, napping, and having meals and HH out there.  We don't do the pools, this is our personal space on the ships (which takes up a lot of our days).  😎

Someone posted it & the lack of differences struck me...

Ive sailed several lines & by & large balcony designs are the same.

Don't get me wrong--booked SV for our upcoming Edge cruises!!

Just now, kwokpot said:

I've been on the Edge and the Carnival Vista and no the IV and Vista balconies aren't the same on the least. I love the Edge and in fact I love the IV room for what it actually is, ab Oceanview cabin with a window that opens and can be kept that way. 

Didn't say the same...but just noticed the similarities.

2 minutes ago, KKB said:

Didn't say the same...but just noticed the similarities.

There's more differences than similarities. In an IV cabin the balcony portion doesn't get the same amount of air that a true balcony does.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

Just now, kwokpot said:

There's more differences than similarities. In an IV cabin the balcony portion doesn't get the same amount of air that a true balcony does.

I need to check one out in a few weeks for myself!

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Really?  LMAO

• Like 2

We kept the bi fold doors open to add space to the stateroom in AQ Class ( dh needed  the space to get out of bed on his side ..bed by bifolds);  and to avoid juggling the chairs around if we wanted to open and closed bifolds.  The  veranda had a regular floor surface.. so no wet suits  can hang out there. Full height  walls on both sides, nothing infinite about it but we liked it.

We mostly kept the window down..to avoid uneven air quality.  Opened it for photos and looking out to the sea and ports.  We liked it as a cozy sun run/ Florida rm for extra seating area,  but it is NOT a balcony.  We did not have any issues with the Captain closing the  window for rainy weather or cleaning

The Sunset Veranda  balcony on EDGE that  we had on a subsequent cruise was enormous, outdoors, great views..inside part of cabin also much larger than the IV.

20190127_135729_resized.jpg

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

We kept the bi fold doors open to add space to the stateroom in AQ Class ( dh needed  the space to get out of bed on his side ..bed by bifolds);  and to avoid juggling the chairs around if we wanted to open and closed bifolds.  The  veranda had a regular floor surface.. so no wet suits  can hang out there. Full height  walls on both sides, nothing infinite about it but we liked it.

We mostly kept the window down..to avoid uneven air quality.  Opened it for photos and looking out to the sea and ports.  We liked it as a cozy sun run/ Florida rm for extra seating area,  but it is NOT a balcony.  We did not have any issues with the Captain closing the  window for rainy weather or cleaning

The Sunset Veranda  balcony on EDGE that  we had on a subsequent cruise was enormous, outdoors, great views..inside part of cabin also much larger than the IV.

20190127_135729_resized.jpg

17 minutes ago, hcat said:

We did not have any issues with the Captain closing the  window for rainy weather or cleaning

We did.  The window was locked closed at the slightest hint of weather.  One of our many issues with the IV.  It's not a balcony.  And we too often sail with friends met on Cruise Critic and we open the divider.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

On X EDGE, IV is not like a reg balc..closed in on both sides.. it's a .nice sun rm but not an outdoor space.

MSC agrees. On the Europa, their newest ship, they call the same type of cabin “ocean view “.  They also have conventional balcony cabins on the sides of the ship.  

We travel with our solo friend and always have connecting balconies that we open up. A lot of cruisers do this. We went on the Edge last Feb and tried out the IV. We didn’t like it as we had two connecting cabins and they don’t connect. We knew this before going but we all missed the regular balcony.

13 hours ago, KKB said:

KKB- Oh no.  Now you've done it.  This will be a very interesting thread.😀