Ordering food not on menu

RaeYoung

I am cruising on Sapphire Princess next year.

I like the idea of being served so I think I would like breakfast in the MDR.   But I would like berries and yogurt and granola, which I don't see on the menus.  Is it possible to order "off menu"?  I am working on the assumption that those 3 items are all in the buffet.

You should have no problems getting those 3 things in the dining room.

It is possible at the end of the cruise, they maybe out of strawberries but for the most part - you should be able to order these items.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coral said:

It is possible at the end of the cruise, they maybe out of strawberries but for the most part - you should be able to order these items.

Coral!  Welcome back!

13 hours ago, RaeYoung said:

Thank you for the feedback.  Looking forward to cruise #1 - rescheduled twice from 2020/2021.

What you are requesting is easy as the dining room has those 3 items.

I have ordered a loaded baked potato, extra butter, many times at night in the mdr if I don't like the vegetable that comes with the main.  No problem - the vegetable still comes, and the potato is on the side

• Like 1

If you want something that's not readily available, they will often make it for you the next day.

DH has been able to get the Parmesan bowl for his Parm noodles (for the next night) after they stopped making them. YMMV, depending on the ship.

Another fave is warm Peanut Butter Cookies. They don't put them out in the buffet anymore, but if you request them, they'll whip up a batch just for you (takes about 20 minutes). Last time we asked for 2, we got 6. YUMM!!

FYI: if you didn't already know - you can order off the kid's menu. Think spaghetti & meatballs, ice cream sundae (used to be called the Volcano).

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I have ordered a loaded baked potato, extra butter, many times at night in the mdr if I don't like the vegetable that comes with the main.  No problem - the vegetable still comes, and the potato is on the side

My favorite dinner: loaded potato with cheese sauce on the side 

(Loaded with veggies: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)

Edited by Ombud

16 hours ago, Coral said:

This has not been my experience.  I would say that was the case for my first 20-25 cruises with Princess, but since then (about 5 years ago) when I ask for berries (I tell them any kind of berries) they always give me the same answer: 'We don't have any for guest consumption in the dining room, they are needed in the pastry kitchen.'  Like everything else of late at Princess, going, going, gone down-hill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

What?   no more peanut butter cookies for the taking?   I have to request them?  oh dear, what am I going to do?  I'll starve to death.

What!? You can't wait 20 minutes?

The last time I asked for PBCs, I asked the server at the first station (he went in back to order) and I went through the line and got my food.

The cookies were actually brought to our table just as we finished eating. 😇

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

My favorite dinner: loaded potato with cheese sauce on the side 

(Loaded with veggies: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)

my 'loaded' is quite different

bacon, cheese, butter, sour cream, chives, butter

• Like 3

We noticed on Majestic, Royal/Regalthere were no PB cookies out in the ends of the bakery, however, if you asked they often had them behind the counters inside the bakery. They said it was for allergy issues and kids, I think it was because people would take dozens!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

This has not been my experience.  I would say that was the case for my first 20-25 cruises with Princess, but since then (about 5 years ago) when I ask for berries (I tell them any kind of berries) they always give me the same answer: 'We don't have any for guest consumption in the dining room, they are needed in the pastry kitchen.'  Like everything else of late at Princess, going, going, gone down-hill.

That is my experience. I used to get strawberries every morning delivered to my room. Not available last three years. 

I remember not being able to get blueberry pancakes one morning. The waiter told me that they'd be on the menu later during the cruise. I've always been able to get fresh pineapple for breakfast and also avocado. Granola and yogurt are on the printed breakfast menu. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muffin said:

We noticed on Majestic, Royal/Regalthere were no PB cookies out in the ends of the bakery, however, if you asked they often had them behind the counters inside the bakery. They said it was for allergy issues and kids, I think it was because people would take dozens!

The peanut allergy is the reason. Even the smell of peanuts can affect some people,

54 minutes ago, cnd crsr said:

The peanut allergy is the reason. Even the smell of peanuts can affect some people,

Yes and especially for children with this allergy they could grab a cookie without looking what is was and suffer a bad reaction.  If my wife even gets a shred of peanut in her throat then she has an extreme reaction

3 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

I have asked for strawberries a dozen times in the main dining room with success. The only time I am told no is when it is at the end of a long cruise and they are out of strawberries.

Though I probably haven't asked for it since 2018 or so. If you have problems, ask the head waiter.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

BTW the granola is homemade and fabulous. On the Emerald , one morning I did not want eggs. So I ordered the granola. I thought cereal will probably be just ok. But boy was I shocked. It was fabulous , it was the best granola I have every had. The same thought with the OJ. No it was fresh squeezed. Double shock. I had the best day every! We still talk about that day and dream of the next cruise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, muffin said:

On the Edge, two years ago, the Peanut Butter Cookies were behind the counter, in a covered tray, and there was a sign telling the passengers that they were behind the counter for allergy reasons.

I should not have made light of a severe allergy issue…..sorry. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I made my observation about P B thieves. I am just glad they HAVE them. Anywhere.