X:"We recommend that you arrive to the pier within your selected arrival time. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time"

NutsAboutGolf

5 minutes ago, ch175 said:

I believe the assigned arrival times is a requirement/recommendation/whatever imposed by the CDC.

If Celebrity allows people in the terminal, or provides some kind of amenities, it seems like that would violate whatever rule the CDC has implemented.

If this is the case, which I admit it’s difficult to read through pages and pages of government speak, your beef is with the CDC and not Celebrity.

The CSO recommends staggered embarkation and disembarkation; it was actually always a best practice recommendation and never a requirement. Celebrity's agreements with Port Everglades would determine how that would be implemented, which would likely make it a port requirement. And I'm pretty sure the Port controls everything shoreside. 

Here is my guess and it truly is a guess. There is a limited amount of space in the terminal to separate people. Once inside the terminal, knowing how some people can get, they would be pushing toward getting on the ship even if their time had not been called. That is certainly what I have observed at Terminal 25 on the cruises pre-COVID.  It is probably easier to keep them outside separated than giving them closer access inside the terminal. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

Here is my guess and it truly is a guess. There is a limited amount of space in the terminal to separate people. Once inside the terminal, knowing how some people can get, they would be pushing toward getting on the ship even if their time had not been called. That is certainly what I have observed at Terminal 25 on the cruises pre-COVID.  It is probably easier to keep them outside separated than giving them closer access inside the terminal. 

Exactly -- have we learned nothing from COVID? 

I personally do NOT want to to stuck standing INCHES from someone else in a line (red flag number one -- social distancing) and INSIDE (red flag number two -- the virus has been shown to be less transmissable outdoors in well-ventilated areas) a large building.

Yes I am vaccinated, but the Delta strain is no joke. Just yesterday someone vaccinated was sent home from Millennium in an air ambulance with COVID. 

Where are all those people who said "I will do whatever it takes to get on a cruise ship again, and I realize some things will be different?"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, runningtide said:

I think it’s time for Celebrity to respond to this issue. Please explain why passengers that arrive before their boarding time, for whatever reasons, can not enter the terminal. Forcing guest to stand in the heat is a dangerous procedure. Please don’t use COVID as an excuse. I don’t see airline passengers standing outside the airport terminal. Celebrity has a brand new terminal that can provide a safe environment for guest to wait. And as ship capacity increases, this problem will only get worse. Celebrity owns that terminal as I understand. Think outside the box, but do something before a guest is critically injured. 

You've made your thoughts abundantly clear with your repeated posts on the subject, which is certainly your prerogative. But if you are looking for a response from Celebrity, would it not be better for you to address your questions directly to the cruise line instead of to Cruise Critic members?  

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You've made your thoughts abundantly clear with your repeated posts on the subject, which is certainly your prerogative. But if you are looking for a response from Celebrity, would it not be better for you to address your questions directly to the cruise line instead of to Cruise Critic members?  

Or the poster might ask the Port Authority since a great deal of what is managed/controlled is not the actual Cruise Line, but the port. 

But all of us can keep guessing away responding to someone who ‘knows’ how everything should be done and has extensive experience in crowd control, managing large groups and so on. 

the one thing I learned is Never try to line up in Italy..all they do is crowd around the ticket window and push through!!  Germans line up perfectly and if you step out of line, you’ll get a very cold stare! Here in the US we think we should be treated differently if we refuse to follow specific directions and we have an excuse….such as I don’t like hotel lobbies/I can’t tell time…and my favorite: “Do You Know Who I am!!!”

den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Or the poster might ask the Port Authority since a great deal of what is managed/controlled is not the actual Cruise Line, but the port. 

But all of us can keep guessing away responding to someone who ‘knows’ how everything should be done and has extensive experience in crowd control, managing large groups and so on. 

the one thing I learned is Never try to line up in Italy..all they do is crowd around the ticket window and push through!!  Germans line up perfectly and if you step out of line, you’ll get a very cold stare! Here in the US we think we should be treated differently if we refuse to follow specific directions and we have an excuse….such as I don’t like hotel lobbies/I can’t tell time…and my favorite: “Do You Know Who I am!!!”

den

Laughing out loud! Need to show this to DW. I’ve skied in Germany, Austria, Italy, and Switzerland. And driven in all of them but  Switzerland. Agree on crowd control and lines. And we’re the worst…

8 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

den

He seems bound and determined to have a response from Celebrity. Please don't give him another windmill at which to tilt! 😇

• Haha 1

Just now, Fouremco said:

He seems bound and determined to have a response from Celebrity. Please don't give him another windmill at which to tilt! 😇

I wonder how many people have contacted X about this very topic in the past 2.5 decades?  Ha ha

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Have any of you ever shown up early for an appointment?

Casablanca:

"Come to my office in the morning. We will do everything we can to help you."

"We will be there at 6!"

"I'll be there at 10."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Only if it was beyond my control. Then I would expect to have to wait.

The last time I went to see my doctor I was 20 minutes early.  The office door was locked but I could sit in the lobby in a comfy chair.

32 minutes ago, zitsky said:

The last time I went to see my doctor I was 20 minutes early.  The office door was locked but I could sit in the lobby in a comfy chair.

Our doctor's office is locked. No chairs  in the lobby. And we're  told not to arrive more than 5 minutes early.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mom says said:

Our doctor's office is locked. No chairs  in the lobby. And we're  told not to arrive more than 5 minutes early.

Tough crowd.

At least you can sit in your car and stay warm and dry.  Can't do that at the port can you?

For the cruise I will go at my scheduled time.  I hope they do a good job showing people where to wait.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Tough crowd.

At least you can sit in your car and stay warm and dry.  Can't do that at the port can you?

For the cruise I will go at my scheduled time.  I hope they do a good job showing people where to wait.

Other than the one fiasco that started this whole discussion, almost everyone arriving at their scheduled time reported moving pretty much straight through onto the ship in 10-15 minutes. No need to show people where to wait during their arrival window. 

Don’t be early. 

57 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

I believe the lady that had problems boarding Edge was in a suite and there was still a problem in Fort Lauderdale!

Ah. Okay. Only going upon what Celebrity have told me. 

On 7/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Straight from my cruise contract, so regardless of anyone's opinion, X makes it clear embarkment windows are a "recommendation" and not a "rule".

image.png.b32692b7289791010e513dfa6e67440a.png

Please stop confusing people with the facts.  Some people just believe they can do what they want with no consequences and it must be someone else's fault.  Sure the suites are told they can arrive when they want but the fact is that there is a limited amount of staff available to handle them when they arrive.  It is interesting when people arrive before their arrival time and then complain because other people got to the port even earlier.  In all of the complaints about waiting in line, I've never seen anyone ask if everyone in line was supposed to be there because of an earlier boarding time.  Everyone that arrives early could be slowing down the process for people that arrive on time.  Assigned boarding times are an improvement, it will probably take a while before some people will learn.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Please stop confusing people with the facts.  Some people just believe they can do what they want with no consequences and it must be someone else's fault.  Sure the suites are told they can arrive when they want but the fact is that there is a limited amount of staff available to handle them when they arrive.  It is interesting when people arrive before their arrival time and then complain because other people got to the port even earlier.  In all of the complaints about waiting in line, I've never seen anyone ask if everyone in line was supposed to be there because of an earlier boarding time.  Everyone that arrives early could be slowing down the process for people that arrive on time.  Assigned boarding times are an improvement, it will probably take a while before some people will learn.

Yes.  Even if you are on time, aren't you waiting in a line with everyone who came early?

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Yes.  Even if you are on time, aren't you waiting in a line with everyone who came early?

That may be, people who arrive early don't comprehend that they are the problem.  Hopefully they can maintain a couple of lines.  One for people who are on time and a stand-by line for people who arrive early.

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That may be, people who arrive early don't comprehend that they are the problem.  Hopefully they can maintain a couple of lines.  One for people who are on time and a stand-by line for people who arrive early.

Key word is hopefully....