No Grand Cayman stops until January 27, 2022

coaster

6 hours ago, PigsCanFly said:

We are also due to be there on Odyssey on that day.  I hope that we can each wave from our ships.

Will be nice to finally see Odyssey! Had 3 cruises cancelled on her including her maiden over Easter last year!  

On 7/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

When I booked Thanksgiving week on Liberty, I knew the Grand Cayman on the itinerary wasn’t happening, I wonder what they will do with that day?

We have Liberty booked over New Year’s.  We have not planned excursions, yet, as we had a feeling things might get moved around.

I just booked a cruise on Friday for January 23, 2022. The first port is Grand Cayman. I’ll be watching for itinerary changes. We can just float around for all I care. As long as I’m on a cruise, I’m happy.

• Like 1

I booked a 10 night cruise that stops in Grand Cayman on 12/17/21. I migrated over here because it's the ONLY stop that I had no idea what to do. Guess I shouldn't have paid it off. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am hoping that they reinstate visiting to Grand Cayman even just one week earlier.  I am booked on the Pride for the 23rd of Jan, 2022.  I have only had a port stop once in Grand Cayman.  We had a great day.  I am hoping for a repeat. If everyone would just get vaccinated, I think we could make it happen. Just my opinion. 

On 8/19/2021 at 10:37 PM, my kids mama said:

I am hoping that they reinstate visiting to Grand Cayman even just one week earlier.  I am booked on the Pride for the 23rd of Jan, 2022.  I have only had a port stop once in Grand Cayman.  We had a great day.  I am hoping for a repeat. If everyone would just get vaccinated, I think we could make it happen. Just my opinion. 

Don’t hold your breath.  Their vac rates are practically at a standstill.

Your best bet is to watch articles in either Cayman Compass or Cayman News Service (both online newspapers findable via Google) to see if they start on any of the earlier steps on time.  My guess is that their opening will be delayed if anything, and there’s very little chance of an early opening.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 12:27 PM, lexluthor said:

Does this mean that cruises may stop at Grand Cayman starting 10/14/21?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=6435&et_cid=3462703&et_rid=17108970

No.  Without reading the CC article but following the Cayman media, I can say that the earlier Grand Cayman opening dates only apply to tourists arriving by air whose vaccination status can be securely verified electronically.

The government has been pretty clear that cruise visitors won’t be returning until late January 2022.

On 7/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

When I booked Thanksgiving week on Liberty, I knew the Grand Cayman on the itinerary wasn’t happening, I wonder what they will do with that day?

When I booked I wasn’t sure if we were able to stop there or not, will be on Liberty beginning of January and wondering the same thing…where are we going instead?

And, to further update this thread, Cayman discovered some community Covid spread this week, so they’re planning to backtrack on the reopening to stayover visitors (arriving by air) and stay closed to tourism until January.  That will likely mean cruise visits are delayed even longer.

If you book a cruise listing Grand Cayman as a stop for a sailing anytime between January and IMO April 2022, you should plan that your port stop will be likely switched to some other island.  Before January, it’s definitely going to be switched.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the Celebrity Edge Thanksgiving Cruise.  I've been reading about Grand Cayman not accepting cruises until 2022.  I have called Celebrity twice and they have said it's still on the itenirary.  I'm not sure why they would continue to say this when clearly they are not permitted to go there.  I've heard about Costa Maya as a replacement for other cruises, but Costa Maya is already one of our stops.  If anyone has any clue what Celebrity may do, thanks for that info.  

4 hours ago, Fun Loving said:

I am on the Celebrity Edge Thanksgiving Cruise.  I've been reading about Grand Cayman not accepting cruises until 2022.  I have called Celebrity twice and they have said it's still on the itenirary.  I'm not sure why they would continue to say this when clearly they are not permitted to go there.  I've heard about Costa Maya as a replacement for other cruises, but Costa Maya is already one of our stops.  If anyone has any clue what Celebrity may do, thanks for that info.  

It's still on our 11/27 Sky Princess as well.  I figure they'll replace it on 11/26 or maybe not until we're on board.

They had a phased reopening plan which, at it's fastest would be one step a month.  They have frozen Phase 3 until January 2022.  After that I think you need to get to phase 5 or 6 before they will allow cruise ships into port again.

So at a very conservative estimate, unless there is some major change in policy from the Cayman government, I don't see cruise ships being there before April 2022

I have a royal carribean sailing planned for Nov 15 2021. Which has a stop on grand Cayman island on Day 3. With less than a month, have not received an updated itinerary yet.

Any idea what might happen? They will change the itinerary or will skip one port?