July 25, 2021 Live From Majestic Princess Alaska sailing

MEETING WITH JAN

Along the lines of @Steelers36, I have two questions I'd love to ask Jan Swartz if given the opportunity. She might give a non-answer answer, but no better opportunity to get information straight from the top! 

1) Today Royal Caribbean announced a new covid-19 testing requirement for US sailings, see announcement below for Seattle sailings. I'd ask if Princess is considering a similar change in protocol.

2) I'd  also ask what the current plans are for increasing capacity for these Alaska sailings. No one seems to have an answer, but I don't know how closely held that information is.  I understand it could be a moving target, but it was Duke Christopher, ED who replied to someone's question on Instagram that sailings would begin around 60%.

If anyone onboard wants to take one for the team and ask, I say please do! : )

GETTING READY TO CRUISE FROM SEATTLE, WASHINGTON

On Serenade of the Seas and Ovation of the Seas in July and August 2021

The protocols communicated here apply only to guests departing from Seattle, Washington in July and August 2021 on Serenade of the Seas® and Ovation of the Seas®. We will continue to update these protocols as public health situations evolve. Guidance for all other departure ports is still in development on with federal, state and local authorities. Booked guests will be provided full details specific to their port of departure prior to sailing.

For Sailings 5 Nights Or Longer: Important Update For Guests
All guests age 2 and older — regardless of vaccination status — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation. Guests will need to show their negative test result upon arriving at the terminal. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility. This requirement is subject to change as we evaluate public health recommendations, and booked guests will be advised of the latest requirements before sailing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, redrobin said:

MEETING WITH JAN

Along the lines of @Steelers36, I have two questions I'd love to ask Jan Swartz if given the opportunity. She might give a non-answer answer, but no better opportunity to get information straight from the top! 

1) Today Royal Caribbean announced a new covid-19 testing requirement for US sailings, see announcement below for Seattle sailings. I'd ask if Princess is considering a similar change in protocol.

2) I'd  also ask what the current plans are for increasing capacity for these Alaska sailings. No one seems to have an answer, but I don't know how closely held that information is.  I understand it could be a moving target, but it was Duke Christopher, ED who replied to someone's question on Instagram that sailings would begin around 60%.

If anyone onboard wants to take one for the team and ask, I say please do! : )

GETTING READY TO CRUISE FROM SEATTLE, WASHINGTON

On Serenade of the Seas and Ovation of the Seas in July and August 2021

The protocols communicated here apply only to guests departing from Seattle, Washington in July and August 2021 on Serenade of the Seas® and Ovation of the Seas®. We will continue to update these protocols as public health situations evolve. Guidance for all other departure ports is still in development on with federal, state and local authorities. Booked guests will be provided full details specific to their port of departure prior to sailing.

For Sailings 5 Nights Or Longer: Important Update For Guests
All guests age 2 and older — regardless of vaccination status — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation. Guests will need to show their negative test result upon arriving at the terminal. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility. This requirement is subject to change as we evaluate public health recommendations, and booked guests will be advised of the latest requirements before sailing.

The big difference there is that Royal does not have a vaccine requirement for their sailings, and they’ve had several test positive on their ships. It makes sense they would now be upping the testing. I don’t see where Princess would be making a testing addition at this time, without some cause or CDC rule change. 

I still have not heard of any medical issues on our sailing. Anyone else?

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, ChangeOrder said:
13 minutes ago, redrobin said:

The big difference there is that Royal does not have a vaccine requirement for their sailings

Actually, I just got off of the Royal AOS Sunday and for cruises out of Nassau they do require vaccination for all adults and passengers over 16 (in August age 12+). We had to show proof of full vaccination (original CDC card) in order to cruise. All passengers, even fully vaccinated passengers, also had to present a negative PCR test in order to board. Royal covered the COVID test to renter the US. Zero COVID cases onboard. 

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Princess usually has top notch naturalists on their Alaska trips but I've not seen much regarding them this year. Is there a naturalist on board?

Up until this year one of my ex students had been working on board the ships as they came into Glacier Bay. With the uncertainty of cruising she took a job at Denali. I have asked her if they have asked her back for cruising this year and they have not.. Next year--Yes and she is looking forward to it 🙂

Still huge mark ups on the wines, one I noted Deakin Estate Cab Sav, a very commercial everyday wine here in Australia, I can buy it for AUD$8,(USD$6,)  on Princess USD$30, way over the top. If the dropped the price to $15 they would sell a lot more and still make plenty of oxford scholars.

I have not been on a Princess ship since May/June 2018 (Royal and Sapphire in Europe) but prices seem much the same.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Steelers36

Well let’s see if these post. The connection seems good right now. 
And on an aside the lobster tonight was excellent. 

E18BF3E0-EDC3-4E88-9015-7D18848E3DC5.jpeg

9C060E63-77D5-4F17-B3DE-BC35F4B345A6.jpeg

D14A429A-A337-46C2-B7E3-FA87A195AB78.jpeg

967248EB-4135-427A-9BB1-C347EE09DB3F.jpeg

D74F0617-D880-473E-A424-7EF14092A092.jpeg

5358C196-D2E9-4D5E-9376-66A4E77953D7.jpeg

729D86FD-613F-47A8-91BA-9C5630893F66.jpeg

CE832D1E-2BBC-4257-B660-AB34F86E66C0.jpeg

12837DA0-37FE-4A32-87F7-CC9DE90CF30F.jpeg

D9A47AF1-FBBB-44F1-B44E-8A37CEE86676.jpeg

CAA52F48-8CDA-4302-8B64-8F40B0949230.jpeg

75C799F0-D18E-423E-B316-B0E635FAEB8E.jpeg

D877D721-913C-4A76-AACC-6BDB633CE1B9.jpeg

A29DD401-866D-4A2E-AFD4-D22FFD86A831.jpeg

C01A5762-7D2A-4EDB-9D42-7FC954B4F4F4.jpeg

Thank you for taking the time to share the full wine listings. It seems to be very much the same as what I have seen on the website. Same prices as previously. That's quite nice! Very grateful for ALL the work you have done in this live-sail with. I so wish I was there.

• Like 3

Lots of wines that are way out of our price range. Apparently we are the "poor folk" on Princess. Ah well, they got rid of our favorite a couple of years ago. Maybe they will still have it by the bottle in MDR. We always find something at Vines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

This is a rare and amazing opportunity.  No doubt Princess is hoping you guys will become ambassadors of a sort to bring good messages back and help spread word on how great the cruise was.

If I can set aside the technical glitches and bugs for both Apple and Android, there are a couple of important FUNCTIONAL issues that I believe need repeating to Princess and what a chance to hear what Jan Swartz has to say in response as to where Princess is going.

I think there is a far, far more basic functional issue that Princess doesn't seem to understand.  There is a decent chunk of its target passengers who don't have a phone that Princess has deemed "correct" (their word not mine).  Many seniors don't have a smartphone (or don't know how to use any features except phone and text on their smartphone).  And then there are those like me who have seen no limitations at all that would make us want to upgrade our phones, yet we can't even download their app.  They have entirely abandoned us as their target audience.

Princess' insistence that I buy/borrow a new phone has caused me to warn everyone I can to avoid Princess like the plague.  Princess has been such a terrible experience in all ways that I suspect this will be my first and only cruise ever.  We are supposed to board in three days, and I can't get excited at all knowing the hassles ahead of me because I have no access to their app.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DuncanBlizzard said:

I think there is a far, far more basic functional issue that Princess doesn't seem to understand.  There is a decent chunk of its target passengers who don't have a phone that Princess has deemed "correct" (their word not mine).  Many seniors don't have a smartphone (or don't know how to use any features except phone and text on their smartphone).  And then there are those like me who have seen no limitations at all that would make us want to upgrade our phones, yet we can't even download their app.  They have entirely abandoned us as their target audience.

Princess' insistence that I buy/borrow a new phone has caused me to warn everyone I can to avoid Princess like the plague.  Princess has been such a terrible experience in all ways that I suspect this will be my first and only cruise ever.  We are supposed to board in three days, and I can't get excited at all knowing the hassles ahead of me because I have no access to their app.

Yes, Princess needed to find an off-ramp for folks like you and it isn't "ask your grandkids".  I agree they need to hear this input as well because some people may grumble, but others will move business elsewhere.  This is what I fear - to what degree will that happen and affect the bottom line?  Perhaps they are savvy and "know" there are more than enough people who a tech-savvy enough and have the devices already in order to communicate with children and grandkids who use these devices daily.  In some cases, they could have helped people if they supported slightly older operating systems.  IDK the answer, but I do think MC App holds a lot of potential.  I just don't know the best back-up plan to help out some folks.  Seems like other cruise lines have figured it out.

The idea of MedallionClass is to extend it to other brands once settled into Princess.  Well, long way to go before ready for sister brands.  Right now, I think they are scrambling so much to fix things, no one has time to look at the 10,000' view again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Lots of wines that are way out of our price range. Apparently we are the "poor folk" on Princess. Ah well, they got rid of our favorite a couple of years ago. Maybe they will still have it by the bottle in MDR. We always find something at Vines.

That's why I usually bring my own.  I am working on my spreadsheet now loading the new list and will look-up retail pricing at Total Wine, FLL, FL.  You are on PLUS now, so lots of by-the-glass to choose from.  I do think Princess got rid of a lot if junk 3/4 years ago.  List is better now, but IDK why so many really expensive stuff and wonder if they will keep it once the stock sells out.  Now I am not complaining about the food on Princess, but it doesn't really rise to the level of $$$ wine.

• Like 2

Regarding the Medallion App, I am confused what you HAVE to use it for. Seems they are banking on it being more convenient for getting information from their passengers and moving to a paperless cruise experience (smart both environmentally and in a pandemic). 

if you can’t or don’t want to use it, certainly there are work arounds for check in, making dining reservations when on board, etc. 

But maybe I’m missing something. 

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

That's why I usually bring my own.  I am working on my spreadsheet now loading the new list and will look-up retail pricing at Total Wine, FLL, FL.  You are on PLUS now, so lots of by-the-glass to choose from.  I do think Princess got rid of a lot if junk 3/4 years ago.  List is better now, but IDK why so many really expensive stuff and wonder if they will keep it once the stock sells out.  Now I am not complaining about the food on Princess, but it doesn't really rise to the level of $$$ wine.

To me it seems like many of the wine prices are more in tune with more expensive cruise lines but what do I know? I'm not a connoisseur of wine by any means.

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am not sure how the event is going to go so if there’s a chance to talk about arrival times I will.

Please also ask if this will continue post-pandemic.

Even if the app worked perfectly for this, being forced to pick arrival times has a number of problems associated with it.

1 hour ago, bflysmile said:

Regarding the Medallion App, I am confused what you HAVE to use it for.

Pre-cruise:

o Accept the passage contract

o Enter in passport information

o Enter credit card information

o Enter emergency contact information

o Enter in required medical information

o Select or learn about your arrival time to check in for cruise

Some of these items really should not wait until check-in time at the terminal to input to Princess. Wrong time to find out the info you bring to the terminal does not meet all they need and thus be denied boarding with no refund.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I really wouldn’t stress about what dining you pick beforehand. Just try to get the time if you can and the rest is easily taken care of onboard. 

Do you think it will be that easy when the ship is 100% full?

4 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Steelers36

Well let’s see if these post. The connection seems good right now. 
And on an aside the lobster tonight was excellent. 

E18BF3E0-EDC3-4E88-9015-7D18848E3DC5.jpeg

D9A47AF1-FBBB-44F1-B44E-8A37CEE86676.jpeg

Hi, again.  Some observations after typing all of these wines into my spreadsheet (big job). 

1. The first page above (Featured Wines) appear to be old wines from 2017 (2018 perhaps).  I am guessing left-over stock???  Not sure, but these are not on the new wine list, but were on the main list back in 2017.

2. On the current main wine list, it is almost the exact same content (not prices) as 2019.  However, they have removed all of the vintage years for every wine which was included information in the old list.  Either they have mixed vintages now with re-stocking the same wines, or they chose to delete them for some reason.  If they still have some of same stock from 2019, well that is a bonus with some of the labels due to additional aging in their cellars.  If anyone on board is into wine (a vinophile), you might inquire at VINES or of the MD or a HW why the vintage years were removed from the menu and do they still have stock left from 2019. 

3. My next task is to get into Total Wines website and see if I can get current retail pricing for each of the wines listed.  In case of multi-vintages, I won't know what to pick, but I can get an approximate value.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Please also ask if this will continue post-pandemic.

Even if the app worked perfectly for this, being forced to pick arrival times has a number of problems associated with it.

Their intent is to continue with Arrival Groups, but they have flexibility to enlarge each Group and also to adjust the times.  Of course, customer feedback can sometimes change minds.

Any more Daily Patters to upload? either App screenshots or Paper versions are fine. Saw a couple for the first days but then no more. Love to see what is on offer to help guide what could be coming for future cruisers.

Along with so many of us, I must add my thanks to all you lovely people onboard providing us with this wealth of information. You are all stars!

• Like 2

Has there been any Alaskan food specials up near the pool?  Did anyone come onboard in Skagway or Juneau (or coming today) as a special speaker about Alaska or with the dogs (I know Princess advertised special presentations for Alaska)?  

Are they really just taking pictures at night on the ship?  Was there a photographer out yesterday at the glacier?  Did they have hot drinks around the top decks out yesterday?

Thanks for all your time to answer our questions!

12 hours ago, ChangeOrder said:

Yes those are accurate. I’ll add that when you are sitting in a chair you can’t see anything below unless you lean forward. No one can see up to you either. The view from the Seaview walk above is only to the railing, and you are protected overhead. Plenty of privacy. 

Here was our schedule today in Glacier Bay. The Rangers set up shop in the Conservatory and sell a few things, along with the talks and question answering. I highly recommend the stuffed grizzly - he’s very soft!image.thumb.jpeg.5f867df7bb4a974183bd8ff2d6ef80ef.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.531e3bebf42d1cf74d0acba336b9141c.jpeg

These are cool!!  If you don't mind me asking, how much was the bear adoption?

Edited by Denali2003
  • Like 2