Have you ever requested a kettle for your room? Did you get one?

BuckeyeMark

I'd really like a kettle to make coffee first thing in the morning. Yes, I know you can get a thermos of hot water via room service. Yes, I know they have coffee in food court upstairs. I want my own kettle to make my own coffee on my own balcony. #coffeesnob

So... how do I get one without being in a high dollar suite? I'd really like a kettle in my balcony room.

Have you asked your room steward for a kettle? Did you get one? Thoughts on how to get a kettle? 
Please help keep this thread on track - it's about kettles. Thanks!

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

You could take a cruise out of the UK on P&O or Cunard.

Please help keep this thread on track - it's about kettles. It's not about alternative cruise lines. I'm going on a Princess cruise. I want a kettle on my Princess cruise. Thanks!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Please help keep this thread on track - it's about kettles. It's not about alternative cruise lines. I'm going on a Princess cruise. I want a kettle on my Princess cruise. Thanks!

You are NOT going to get a kettle on Princess ... you need to review their list of prohibited items to confirm it isn't gonna happen.

And d9704011 was not going off-topic, but suggesting to you who to sail to get your blessed kettle.

• Like 7

We asked for one on Royal Princess, as my DH is Brit who needs his tea, and we were told that kettles were only available on cruises out of the UK and we could not have one and if we brought one on, it would be confiscated until the end of the cruise.  This was in 2019.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

You are NOT going to get a kettle on Princess ... you need to review their list of prohibited items to confirm it isn't gonna happen.

And d9704011 was not going off-topic, but suggesting to you who to sail to get your blessed kettle.

I didn't ask how to get a kettle on board. I know it's a prohibited item. I own a couple of travel kettle so wouldn't have started the thread if I could bring one.

Here's the original question: Have you asked your room steward for a kettle? Did you get one? Thoughts on how to get a kettle?  That's what we're working on here please.  Thanks!

Edited by BuckeyeMark

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

We asked for one on Royal Princess, as my DH is Brit who needs his tea, and we were told that kettles were only available on cruises out of the UK and we could not have one and if we brought one on, it would be confiscated until the end of the cruise.  This was in 2019.

Thanks for this helpful post!  A little disappointing but helpful!  

2 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I didn't ask how to get a kettle on board. I know it's a prohibited item. I own a couple of travel kettle so wouldn't have started the thread if I could bring it.

Here's the original question: Have you asked your room steward for a kettle? Did you get one? Thoughts on how to get a kettle?  That's what we're working on here please.  Thanks!

To answer:

No

No

No clue

Have a good life

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

If you want coffee made on your balcony you will have to literally make it on your own balcony at home.  No kettles!

There ARE kettles.  I’ve been in higher level cabins where they are standard and have used and enjoyed making my own coffee. The supplied kettle did not burn the ship down because Kettles are not the fire hazard people make them to be. BTW that’s why select ships out of the UK have kettles in every room.  

So … back to the original questions: have you ever asked for a kettle? Did you get one?

Edited by BuckeyeMark

1 minute ago, BuckeyeMark said:

There ARE kettles.  I’ve been in higher level cabins where they are standard and have used and enjoyed making my own coffee. The supplied kettle did not burn the ship down because Kettles are not the fire hazard people make them to be. 

So … back to the original questions: have you ever asked for a kettle? Did you get one?

Ok I'll play lol.  No I have never in a dozen or so cruises asked for a kettle even in a full suite on HAL. 

I am not even remotely a coffee snob so it literally wouldn't occur to me to do so.  Our one and only Princess cruise so far I discovered the International Cafe, loved everything about it and room service coffee was perfectly satisfactory while having breakfast on our balcony.

I think with Covid restrictions in place your kettle is not going to happen sorry.

If you want a kettle in your cabin on Princess you will need to sail out of Southampton. I don't know if they provide a kettle when sailing out of Australia or not but, when sailing out of Southampton, we had a kettle in the cabin. If you sail out of the US then you will not have a kettle in your cabin and no amount of pleading will get one.

If you need to make coffee in your cabin take a french press.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

On are last Caribbean cruise in 2019 we were in a penthouse suite and my wife asked our room steward if it was possible to have a kettle and he told her no but he would ask his manager if it was possible to make a exception.  He left a message on the stateroom phone that his manager said NO exceptions.  We did buy a french press in St Thomas.  Don't remember her ever using it. 

Edited by franktown
add
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

Oh I would love to know this also!!  Hate Princess syrup/coffee!! 

Have you tried coffee on one of the Royal class ships?  I have it on good authority (my DH; I don't drink coffee) that the coffee in the buffet is not made with syrup.  Even better, according to him, is the coffee from the International Cafe on any ship that has one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Have you tried coffee on one of the Royal class ships?  I have it on good authority (my DH; I don't drink coffee) that the coffee in the buffet is not made with syrup.  Even better, according to him, is the coffee from the International Cafe on any ship that has one.

Really???  that's encouraging!  Our next 2 cruises are on the Ruby which is Crown class...  and I love the Espresso at the international cafe... 

15 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

Really???  that's encouraging!  Our next 2 cruises are on the Ruby which is Crown class...  and I love the Espresso at the international cafe... 

DH is only vouching for the Royal class ships unfortunately.  The last time we were on a non-Royal class he had a coffee card or we paid the plus fare so he got all his coffee from the International Cafe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, franktown said:

On are last Caribbean cruise in 2019 we were in a penthouse suite and my wife asked our room steward if it was possible to have a kettle and he told her no but he would ask his manager if it was possible to make a exception.  He left a message on the stateroom phone that his manager said NO exceptions.  We did buy a french press in St Thomas.  Don't remember her ever using it. 

This is helpful. Not encouraging but helpful!  If someone in a penthouse suite can’t get one I don’t think I’ll be getting one either!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capriccio said:

DH is only vouching for the Royal class ships unfortunately.  The last time we were on a non-Royal class he had a coffee card or we paid the plus fare so he got all his coffee from the International Cafe.

Thank you!!!!!  I will Definitely be a regular!!

We sailed on the Royal Princess in 2019.  Asked about coffee making options in the room as were used to having this option on other lines.  Answer was No, coffee was available 24/7 in suite lounge.  We had some discussion about some devices available on sailings out of the U.K.  The steward acknowledged that was true.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

There ARE kettles.  I’ve been in higher level cabins where they are standard and have used and enjoyed making my own coffee. The supplied kettle did not burn the ship down because Kettles are not the fire hazard people make them to be. BTW that’s why select ships out of the UK have kettles in every room.  

Actually, coffee makers are the fire hazards people make them out to be.  Not only have I studied the data (going back to MrCoffee in the 80's when they almost went out of business due to so many fire lawsuits), but also from personal experience.  The electrical appliances, especially ones with heating elements, provided on ships are routinely taken out of service for inspection and testing.  When this applies to every cabin, it becomes a major man-hour drain on a limited number of technicians.  We had one coffee maker, on NCL, go up in flames while being tested in the electrician's shop.  Some lines are okay with expending the man-hours needed to keep these appliances safe and working for every cabin, some only for suites and such, and some not at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ask at Passenger Services. Don't be disappointed when the answer is that they do not supply kettles. No mention of kettles in the list of full suite benefits and cabin amenities. Were the higher level cabins on Princess ships sailing from locations other than the UK?

12 minutes ago, skynight said:

Ask at Passenger Services. Don't be disappointed when the answer is that they do not supply kettles. No mention of kettles in the list of full suite benefits and cabin amenities.

Sorry but I need to be a little more frank that you shouldn’t be surprised when they say NO

With all the safety measure they do on the ship, do you really think they want all their cabins to have kettles on them.

I think not.

And to answer the question , we have never asked for a kettle as we already know the answer

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth