How does a person from the USA go to Southampton to Catch a Cruise in October?

My wife and I and a friend have a cruise on RCL Anthem of the Seas for October 20 booked (for soem time) and we have already been allowed to check in online. We have reservations on a flight into London's Heathrow (originally it was from Newark but now from Chicago, due to recent change by United) we are supposed to arrive by 7:30 am and we have transfers arranged by RCL's Air to Sea to take us direct to the ship with 12 noon check in.  We wanted to be able to do what the UK was calling a "Land Transit" but last time I looked they are not allowing that any longer.  They are now requiring a 14 day quarantine and testing.  I cannot afford that?  Also my wife, her friend and I are all fully vacinated with the Moderna shots, mine by the clinic that was doing the Phase 3 trials in Texas.  My wife and her friend by other State authorized vaccination sites near Houston.  They have their CDC/WHO proof of vaccination cards. I have my Moderna clinical vaccination card. Yet I am reading that unless you have a vaccination approved by the UK NHS and it was administered by the UK NHS, you are not fully vaccinated. Now that seems to run against the latest WHO guidance on that very matter that was just issued July 1st.(see page 9 Proof of Vaccination section in Italics and the first dashed sentence after it).  Isn't the UK a party to the WHO's International Health Regulations and doesn't that mean they should be complying with the guidance issued by the WHO.  (Not the bad that played We won;t be fooled again, but the World Health Organization)      

WHO-019-nCoV-Risk-based-international-travel-2021.1-eng.pdf

29 minutes ago, TXRANCHER said:

My wife and I and a friend have a cruise on RCL Anthem of the Seas for October 20 booked (for soem time) and we have already been allowed to check in online. We have reservations on a flight into London's Heathrow (originally it was from Newark but now from Chicago, due to recent change by United) we are supposed to arrive by 7:30 am and we have transfers arranged by RCL's Air to Sea to take us direct to the ship with 12 noon check in.  We wanted to be able to do what the UK was calling a "Land Transit" but last time I looked they are not allowing that any longer.  They are now requiring a 14 day quarantine and testing.  I cannot afford that?  Also my wife, her friend and I are all fully vacinated with the Moderna shots, mine by the clinic that was doing the Phase 3 trials in Texas.  My wife and her friend by other State authorized vaccination sites near Houston.  They have their CDC/WHO proof of vaccination cards. I have my Moderna clinical vaccination card. Yet I am reading that unless you have a vaccination approved by the UK NHS and it was administered by the UK NHS, you are not fully vaccinated. Now that seems to run against the latest WHO guidance on that very matter that was just issued July 1st.(see page 9 Proof of Vaccination section in Italics and the first dashed sentence after it).  Isn't the UK a party to the WHO's International Health Regulations and doesn't that mean they should be complying with the guidance issued by the WHO.  (Not the bad that played We won;t be fooled again, but the World Health Organization)      

WHO-019-nCoV-Risk-based-international-travel-2021.1-eng.pdf 419 kB · 0 downloads

Here is a link with current details.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list-rules-if-you-are-not-fully-uk-vaccinated

USA is currently on the UK amber list so from what I read you must quarantine for min of 10 days, at your own cost, and sign up on their app to get covid tests done on day 2 and day 8 of your quarantine.

Hopefully you booked refundable airfare, just in case.  If the US ends up on their red list then you wont be allowed in at all.

This is the gov.uk blurb on when/which test you need, etc prior to ariving in London.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing before you travel to England - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

But there's an additional section for travelers who are transiting:

When you transit through England to international destinations

You do not need to quarantine on arrival or take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and day 8. This applies if you are transiting airside or landside.

You must either:

• remain within your port of entry until your departure from England, or
  • travel directly from your port of entry to another port of departure in England

20 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Here is a link with current details.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list-rules-if-you-are-not-fully-uk-vaccinated

USA is currently on the UK amber list so from what I read you must quarantine for min of 10 days, at your own cost, and sign up on their app to get covid tests done on day 2 and day 8 of your quarantine.

Hopefully you booked refundable airfare, just in case.  If the US ends up on their red list then you wont be allowed in at all.

45 minutes ago, Canadianmama3 said:

It doesn’t matter what the WHO says.  You must follow the rules set up in the country you are going to.   Each country is free to set their own requirements.  

You haven't read the International Health regulations have you. Canada ratified them as well. Do you also not comply with other treaties your country has signed? Like the Geneva Conference on war time prisoners? It does matter what the WHO says. Read Article 43.  

Just now, mapleleaves said:

This is the gov.uk blurb on when/which test you need, etc prior to ariving in London.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing before you travel to England - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

But there's an additional section for travelers who are transiting:

When you transit through England to international destinations

You do not need to quarantine on arrival or take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and day 8. This applies if you are transiting airside or landside.

You must either:

• remain within your port of entry until your departure from England, or
  • travel directly from your port of entry to another port of departure in England

I saw that before and it was the basis for my confirmation of and paying in full my RCL reservation.  I alos made my plane reservation based on that written statement. But I have been unable to find it again. Is it still in effect?  I had people in the UK try to tell me it did not apply to a Heathrow to Southampton transit.  They do not beleive it is a landside transit. They must believe it only applies going from Heathrow to another airport, like Gatwick although I cannot for the life of me see any difference.  Also why not give credit for our Moderna vaccinations?   

52 minutes ago, TXRANCHER said:

You haven't read the International Health regulations have you. Canada ratified them as well. Do you also not comply with other treaties your country has signed? Like the Geneva Conference on war time prisoners? It does matter what the WHO says. Read Article 43.  

Countries are allowed to decide on rules relating to travel into their countries.  The US doesn’t follow WHO guidelines either. The WHO has zero say on that.  

Canada isn’t allowing tourists from other counties in right now either.   Fully vaccinated US tourists will only be allowed in starting in August.  

• Like 2

You could email the British Embassy in Houston for clarification. But your trip is 3 months away so things will change by then.

I saw this info on the Heathrow website on how to complete the Passenger Locator Form. Towards the bottom where the line starts with ...."If you will be passing thru Immigration" ( which you will)

Transfer passengers

All international arrivals are required to present a negative COVID-19 test, taken no earlier than three days before departing for England. This applies to passengers transiting the UK.

If you are transiting through the UK to another international destination, you do not need to quarantine or take a COVID-19 test on arrival or on day 2 and day 8; but you must present the following to your airline before departure:

If you will be passing through Immigration, you need to do the following when you complete your passenger locator form:

• Select ‘Stay in the UK’ under the “Your travel plans” section
  • Reply ‘No’ to any questions about whether you are required to complete COVID-19 tests on arrival
  • For passengers arriving from green or amber list countries:  Reply ‘No’ to the question ‘Have you visited a Red List country within the past 10 days and/or are required by law to quarantine in a government approved facility?’

@TXRANCHER

You have not been vaccinated in the UK.

These are the current rules:

Amber list rules if you are not fully UKvaccinated

These rules apply if you are not fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme.

They also apply if you have been in France in the 10 days before you arrive in England, even if you are fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme.

Before travel to England

Before you travel to England you must:

On arrival in England

On arrival in England you must:

• quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
  • take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8

Read about quarantine and taking COVID-19 tests.

Children aged 4 and under do not need to take the day 2 or day 8 test.

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

14 hours ago, TXRANCHER said:

I saw that before and it was the basis for my confirmation of and paying in full my RCL reservation.  I alos made my plane reservation based on that written statement. But I have been unable to find it again. Is it still in effect?  I had people in the UK try to tell me it did not apply to a Heathrow to Southampton transit.  They do not beleive it is a landside transit. They must believe it only applies going from Heathrow to another airport, like Gatwick although I cannot for the life of me see any difference.  Also why not give credit for our Moderna vaccinations?   

I also suggest that you check with Southampton Port to see if they are set up with the border force agency to “check you out” of the country?

Edited by little britain

Destination and Travel Restrictions Map | Delta Air Lines

I am going on anthem on Oct 2.  According to the Delta guide, at this time, I must have a test on Day 2 and Day 8 without quarantine because I am vaccinated.  I would be on the ship on day 8.

They have their information from: 

I would assume this would be changing as time goes by with covid surges and recovery.

The no quarantine references vaccinated in uk but the literature says NHS vaccine.  Curious which is correct.

Edited by irishgal432

2 hours ago, little britain said:

I also suggest that you check with Southampton Port to see if they are set up with the border force agency to “check you out” of the country?

Good point.  Hopefully Royal will have all of those details worked out.  Our Oct 2 cruise, they pulled Le Harve and replaced it with Bilboa due to UK Covid restrictions, so hopefully they are aware of issues that need to be sorted out to let non UK citizens travel.

3 hours ago, little britain said:

@TXRANCHER

You have not been vaccinated in the UK.

These are the current rules:

Amber list rules if you are not fully UKvaccinated

These rules apply if you are not fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme.

They also apply if you have been in France in the 10 days before you arrive in England, even if you are fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme.

Before travel to England

Before you travel to England you must:

On arrival in England

On arrival in England you must:

• quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days
  • take a COVID-19 test on or before day 2 and on or after day 8

Read about quarantine and taking COVID-19 tests.

Children aged 4 and under do not need to take the day 2 or day 8 test.

You may be able to end quarantine early if you pay for a private COVID-19 test through the Test to Release scheme.

I think these are the regulations for staying in the UK?

As I understand it, the OP is claiming they are transiting and would need to follow the regulations in post #9, which are also posted in full on gov.uk. Presumably they are not flying in the day of the cruise but they haven’t said how far in advance  they are arriving.

The issue becomes whether flying into Heathrow and exiting Southampton dock is considered transit including presumably public transport and hotel.

2 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

As I understand it, the OP is claiming they are transiting and would need to follow the regulations in post #9, which are also posted in full on gov.uk. Presumably they are not flying in the day of the cruise but they haven’t said how far in advance  they are arriving.

The issue becomes whether flying into Heathrow and exiting Southampton dock is considered transit including presumably public transport and hotel.

OP is flying in and sailing on same day. My understanding of being “in transit” is being in the airport between flights, although the UK Gov site seems to allow leaving the airport and returning again….. there is no mention of whether leaving the country by cruise is permitted which is why I suggested contacting Southampton port directly.

#4 seems to cover going straight from airport to departure point…

6 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

OP is flying in the day of the cruise.  I am flying in 2 days before.  Sticky situation.  US just announced travel restrictions still in place. EXCLUSIVE U.S. will not lift travel restrictions, citing Delta variant -official | Reuters

12 minutes ago, little britain said:

OP is flying in and sailing on same day. My understanding of being “in transit” is being in the airport between flights, although the UK Gov site seems to allow leaving the airport and returning again….. there is no mention of whether leaving the country by cruise is permitted which is why I suggested contacting Southampton port directly.

#4 seems to cover going straight from airport to departure point…

Apologies, I got bogged down negotiating the government website and forgot the details of the original post!

Agree post #4 and #9 seem to cover transit. One would hope if Royal Air2Sea transport is involved they have covered the requirements, but who knows?

Having flown Houston to UK many times, flying in “the day of” and transferring to Southampton  would not be my choice before a TA cruise, which is probably why I got diverted in my thought process!

From today's Guardian, online version: 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/26/covid-quarantine-for-britons-vaccinated-abroad-to-be-dropped

[...]

'He [the vaccines minister, Nadhim Zahawi] also hinted that all travellers coming from abroad who have been double-vaccinated with a jab authorised in the UK could have their doses recognised – not just those who are registered with a British GP – saying: “We want to offer the same reciprocity as the 33 countries that recognise our [NHS] app, and that will also happen very soon.”

Ministers are expected to announce the change later this week, as part of a review of the wider rules governing international travel due to be held before 31 July.'

[...]

For non-UK readers, who may not know, the vaccines currently authorised for use in the UK are Moderna, Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer/BioNTech and Janssen.

13 hours ago, little britain said:

@TXRANCHER there is a report in a paper today that quarantine restrictions for USA visitors may be dropped in a few weeks; so this may not be an issue for you.

Meanwhile your President is still refusing to let Brits in 🤷‍♀️

This report in BBC on line site today. 

BBC News - Fully-jabbed from EU and US could avoid quarantine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57992929

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

This report in BBC on line site today. 

BBC News - Fully-jabbed from EU and US could avoid quarantine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57992929

I saw that news on GMB this morning and it will be great news for the op on this thread.

Hopefully the US will allow our Double vaccinated citizens into the US.

I renewed my ESTA last week.

• Like 1