Anybody else tired of the 70's disco party?

22 minutes ago, watson50 said:

now you're talking! maybe throw a little Ozzie in there as well

a little VH would work.  Or guns and roses.  

There is an audience.  Look at the success of Bohemian Rhapsody.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tserface said:

Totally... and, when they do 70's music trivia, why do they only do disco?  There were tons of good singer/songwriters in the 70's that were not disco by any means.

Agree we do a 70’s charter music cruise every year, great music Micheal McDonald , Boz Scaggs, Todd Rundgren, America, Rita Coolidge etc etc , of course Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen are not in the budget. 

8 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

Year after year, it's the same party on every cruise. It's getting a little stale for me,

Anyone else like to see it go away?

I've been annoyed with it for decades lol. So I hear ya. Not sure why cruise lines keep hosting them.

• Like 1

Please no more YMCA. Sick of that same old tune & cheesy act. Same goes with 60's British rock invasion show. Give me something new like Back Street Boys, Bruno Mars, Weeknd, Ed Sheeran or even Justin Bieber. 😳

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

Year after year, it's the same party on every cruise. It's getting a little stale for me,

Anyone else like to see it go away?

Nope - I love still love it!

Beth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tserface said:

Totally... and, when they do 70's music trivia, why do they only do disco?  There were tons of good singer/songwriters in the 70's that were not disco by any means.

Lots of one hit wonders in the 70's too. And being a hit, didn't necessarily mean good, but they'd be good for trivia.  

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I would not go to see The Village People for any amount of money that could be offered.

That's too bad. I'll just donate that two trillion Quatloos.  You probably don't want it anyway...taxes would kill ya.

54 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Lots of one hit wonders in the 70's too. And being a hit, didn't necessarily mean good, but they'd be good for trivia.  

Yeah, this would be a super fun trivia topic.  Love it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

Just call it a "Dance Party" and play different upbeat music that you can dance to from different genres and decades. Something for everyone. 

Sounds like a great idea!  Call it "Dance Through the Ages" start with one song and dance from the 20s and move on with one most popular song and dance for each decade - That would be a hoot!  Sending an e-mail to the Cruise Director for Freedom in Sept. 🤣

20s - Charleston

30s - Jive

40s - Swing

50s - Lindy, Boogie Woogie, Bop

60s - Twist, Watusi, Mashed Potato and Pony

70s - Disco, Hustle, Funky Chicken

80s - Robot, Break Dancing

90s - Macarena, Electric Slide

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I'm hoping they do a "Dance Through The Decades" theme week.  For example:

Monday: 50's Sock Hop

Tuesday: 60's Dance Party

Wednesday: 70's Disco Party

Thursday: 80's Party

Friday: 90's Party

Saturday or Sunday: Early 2000's party

I think this is the best suggestion. I can just skip the 70’s party. I don’t understand why they don’t add other eras to please the masses.

Honestly I haven’t even cruised as much as most of you but a LOT of the cruise ship entertainment needs a refresh. They should offer new things here and there to see if there is any interest and keep the events that are well attended. 

It still beats most all inclusive resorts though. One of the best parts of the cruise experience is that they are at least trying to give us things to do.

3 hours ago, wolfganghowell said:

You're not going to please everyone.  I think the current 70s party appeals to the most people with high energy and song recognition.  They have to avoid something too niche since they are trying to attract people from 6 to 60+.  Sure it's cheesy, that's the point.  And they get a lot of crowd participation with the Village People.  I'd love to see an 80's party - they would have a lot of the same issues and could do a boy band and a female supergroup or Madonna/The GoGo's kind of thing.  Keep the high energy and recognition factor but change it up a little.  Just my two cents - but what do I know?  I only work in entertainment.  😉

It’s all a matter of opinion .If everyone liked the same music it would be very dull and there would not be discussions like this one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I would opt for a 60’s night.In my opinion there is nothing better than classic rock from 1965 to 1975.

While I agree, there is no music that gets you out of your seat and on the dance floor than disco.

Although, I find it funny to look up and see people sitting in chairs watching and NOT MOVING.  HOW can you sit still to YMCA??????? 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1