Packing question SC, WA and AK

MichelleR1963

We are leaving in a few days to stay overnight and fly out of Charleston, SC (Very Hot), heading to Seattle for 2 nights (rainy, slightly cooler) and an Alaskan cruise for a week (cooler still and rainy).

I have read the Alaska packing info and have all the warm/rain gear.  

As I look at my piles of stuff to put into a large suitcase and a carry on, I'm wondering if its all going to fit!  LOL

For those who have traveled to Alaska (2 People) have you typically checked a second suitcase? I am not opposed to that, but was wondering what most folks do.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, MichelleR1963 said:

We are leaving in a few days to stay overnight and fly out of Charleston, SC (Very Hot), heading to Seattle for 2 nights (rainy, slightly cooler) and an Alaskan cruise for a week (cooler still and rainy).

I have read the Alaska packing info and have all the warm/rain gear.  

As I look at my piles of stuff to put into a large suitcase and a carry on, I'm wondering if its all going to fit!  LOL

For those who have traveled to Alaska (2 People) have you typically checked a second suitcase? I am not opposed to that, but was wondering what most folks do.

Thanks in advance.

At the most, one large checked bag (28”+\- packed correctly should weigh in at 45 lbs +\-) and a small (under seat) carry-on for essential/valuables) per person should be plenty for any cruise anywhere and of any duration (based on a 10 day laundry cycle).  

Whether it’s a cold climate (layers plus) or a hot climate (snorkel gear), we’ve lived by that rule on  2-6 weeks for many years and it works perfectly.

layers  are the key  a fleece jacket with a rain jacket works in many  cases

I usually check the  weather for the ports  about  a week ahead  then remove or add  a few things

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005306234-What-is-your-cancellation-and-refund-policy-

We did  a trip that the temps went from 33C to below -3C    with 1 x 26" case each

enjoy

• Like 2

It’s hard to determine what’s right for you without knowing you!  I had a hard time only using 2 large checked bags and 2 carryons, but that’s me. 

I like choices in my wardrobe and I don’t like to spend time doing laundry on vacation. 

checking a second suitcase....the answer is always yes for me!

whatever you do, enjoy your cruise.  

For a trip this month, I'm relying on a rain jacket plus a down-alternative vest. Fleece has the advantage of drying quickly if it gets wet, but it's not very (or at all) compressible, so down or down-alternative packs smaller. Actually, I'm taking two rain jackets, one lined and one unlined.

If you're taking any excursions in smaller boats, remember that it is colder on the water. My experience on the water in the Faroe Islands was that I was fine in the jacket and the vest, with a rain hat (it wasn't raining but it was the only hat I had), although I would have liked gloves, too. I've also used this kind of combination at 10,000+ feet in the Alps in the summer.

If you tend to feel especially cold you might need two warm layers, but you don't need to take a heavy parka. Some people like puffer jackets and if you happen to have one, it might work for you.

This is discussed frequently in the Alaska forum and the replies are always the same as what you've received here.

• Like 1

A more general consideration is whether your cruise ship has a self-service laundry for passengers (most don't) and whether you would use it; whether you would use the ship's laundry service; and whether you would do laundry in the sink in your cabin. All of these affect how many changes of clothes you'll want to take. Also whether you want to be in a different outfit every time you're seen (most here would say that it's not worth the effort).

FWIW, for my trip this month I'm taking only carry-on luggage (although I will check the larger bag). But it includes overnights on two ships of the AMHS and three stays on land, so I'll be moving my luggage about more times than on a cruise.

5 hours ago, MichelleR1963 said:

heading to Seattle for 2 nights (rainy, slightly cooler)

I hope we get rain soon. Shows a 50% chance on Friday, but nothing more through next Wed. We are at 48 days without, so we start whining. LOL

• Like 2

I have never checked a second suitcase.  Not because I'm opposed to doing so, but because I try to keep things down to what I can personally handle.  

I have been to Alaska 4 times, usually in July or August. I have seen overcast, drizzly days which do feel cooler.  I have also experienced non-stop rain that wasn't all that cold.  Except my feet were wet so I felt colder.  I have seen days that were warm, sunny and stunningly beautiful.  I have also seen it raining unbelievable hard but only on one side of the ship. 🤪

I have never felt so cold that I needed anything more than a sweatshirt or fleece jacket.  Except glacier day.  On that day I wore the sweatshirt AND the fleece jacket.  Layers is the key.  And dry shoes, of course.  An extra pair or waterproof shoes is advisable.  Gloves, too.  But, IMHO only 1 suitcase is needed.  Just make sure the clothes you wear in Seattle will also work for Alaska. 

Also, just a note but you can buy sweatshirts and jackets everywhere you go in Alaska, usually at a pretty good price.  Makes packing less easier, knowing if you get really cold you can pick one up. 

Having said all that, if you decide you need a second bag then take it.  And don't let anyone else tell you it's too much.  The worst that will happen if you're overpacked is you'll come home with stuff you didn't wear.  Big deal.  It's your vacation.  Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Edited by Blondilu
  • Like 2

Thank you everyone!  Appreciate the feedback.. The cake looks marvelous.. It is definitely about the layers!  I found an attachment strap that will allow me to take 2 carry ons.  It looks like it will be 1 checked bag and 2 carry ons.  

🙂

We took a large suitcase each for Alaska, as well as a roll aboard each. We took layers..thick fleece , thin fleece and a kagool each. Most days in Alaska we wore thin trousers and long sleeved T shirt with a thin fleece. Husband who doesn’t feel cold wore shorts. Only day we needed thick fleece and kagool was for helicopter flight to Mendenhall Glacier..could have done with fleece gloves and beanie hat there too. We were lucky with the weather..it was late July/ early August. I would be sure to take two pairs of trainers or one pair of walking books and one pair of trainers in case of wet feet. We sprayed our Sketchers trainers with waterproofing spray. Only used a swimming costume on day we left Seattle and one day towards end of cruise. To avoid weight and space maybe thermal underwear if you feel the cold.

Think two carry ones might be difficult to manoeuvre with a checked case for one person. Husband sorts our checked cases and I wheel the roll aboards until checked cases have been checked in. I also carry a large handbag for important documents..but I am a serial over packer !!!!

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Layers -- they're not just for cakes anymore. 

image.thumb.png.8c96c42d025a63e8c8cd00f28779e0a7.png

Loving those layers😃......more than the layers I am looking at bringing for my cruise in 2 weeks.

I roll jackets and fleece in compression bags and we travel with a 22" and personal item each - just what we choose to do.  Shoes are the biggest pain but I have been able to do Alaska with waterproof hiking low shoes rather than finding any need for boots.

To the OP, I could use your title but change the SC to FL LOL.........I am sailing to Alaska in 2 weeks. Actually flying to Seattle 2 weeks from tomorrow😃.   I have been 3 previous times but not recently.

I agree with the layering thing and I sail solo. I bring  1 checked bag and 1 carry on bag on every cruise I take, whether it is is the Caribbean, Europe or Alaska.  

I have never brought boots with me to Alaska (I don't own any boots).  

As you can see, everyone has their own way of packing. But even if I was cruising with someone else?
 I would pack the same way.  Oh, I bring alot of long sleeves, usually they are not "thick" but are more of soft cotton pullovers.....scoop neck or v necklines.  I bring a lined rain jacket that has a hood.  Shoes are a pair of sneakers for daytime.  I bring black mules and a pair of black ballet flats that I can wear dressed up. And maybe one other pair.......I go light in the shoe dept.

Oh yes, I agree with checking the weather! I do that before I start my packing process but I am also one of those gals who packs only 1 or 2 days before flying out.

• Like 1

My 5th Alaska cruise is coming in 5 weeks!  I agree w/everything Lois R says (above).

I'd add gloves & a warm hat/cap (or hoodie).  I'm wearing water-proofed sneakers & taking "fur" lined black Skechers that can go day or night & black sandals for nights.

My most important item (besides shoes) is my wind/rain proof jacket w/a zip-out fleece lining.  I can use as is or zip out & add a heavier sweater.  I too bring 3-4 long-sleeve t-shirts to go under jackets or sweaters.  One of those shirts will take me from NC to Seattle & home again.

I have black/gray/navy pants that work for day or night plus 1 pr. 'silky' pants for formal, w/a fancy top, plus 3-4 other tops for dinner.

Oh, and remember, you can wear things more than once or rinse out & hang in the shower.

And I plan to buy a sweatshirt in Alaska as I don't have a fun one right now.

ENJOY!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

My 5th Alaska cruise is coming in 5 weeks!  I agree w/everything Lois R says (above).

I'd add gloves & a warm hat/cap (or hoodie).  I'm wearing water-proofed sneakers & taking "fur" lined black Skechers that can go day or night & black sandals for nights.

My most important item (besides shoes) is my wind/rain proof jacket w/a zip-out fleece lining.  I can use as is or zip out & add a heavier sweater.  I too bring 3-4 long-sleeve t-shirts to go under jackets or sweaters.  One of those shirts will take me from NC to Seattle & home again.

I have black/gray/navy pants that work for day or night plus 1 pr. 'silky' pants for formal, w/a fancy top, plus 3-4 other tops for dinner.

Oh, and remember, you can wear things more than once or rinse out & hang in the shower.

And I plan to buy a sweatshirt in Alaska as I don't have a fun one right now.

ENJOY!

Good morning, your evening wear sounds like my evening wear😃.....I have dressy slacks and tops for formal nights.......and the other nights I have "no wrinkle" pants that are in grey, black and periwinkle LOL  I have ballet flats for almost all the evenings but also a pair of black mules.  As for those long sleeved tops......you bring 3-4? That is where I go a bit bonkers LOL.......I bring at least 8.

On 8/3/2021 at 6:13 AM, MichelleR1963 said:

Thank you everyone!  Appreciate the feedback.. The cake looks marvelous.. It is definitely about the layers!  I found an attachment strap that will allow me to take 2 carry ons.  It looks like it will be 1 checked bag and 2 carry ons.  

🙂

Two carryon's ? How do you pull that off?