Updated FAQ - Covid Test Required eff 8/15

Stevanb

2 hours ago, mellon1 said:

I feel bad for the older folks who have been planning to spend their retirement cruising and doing things now that they have time and money to spend and now can't do it and time is going by. 

When I retired four and a half years ago, my goal was to cruise 30 days a year. I made it the first year, missed by a few the second year, and surpassed it by 10 the third year. And then the pandemic kept me from cruising at all last year. I'm getting a late start this year with my cruise in two weeks. Another thing that's messed up my plan is DH's decision not to take any more cruises while his mother is alive. He's an only child and doesn't want to leave her.

When i retired my goal was for 4 trips a year .... its been 16 months (local doesn't count). I even got the shot -- just 1 -- now they say we might need it yearly. Whoever gets yearly shots?!?! 

Back to testing. Still nervous that 1.5% of positives are false. Yuck

On 8/6/2021 at 1:45 PM, geoherb said:

I made an appointment at CVS for August 19 at 3 p.m. That will be 72 hours before my boarding group on the August 22 just in case. DH had to have a test today. He just went back to the office on Monday, and yesterday they sent everyone home to work remotely again. A few people had been in the office for several weeks. This was the first week with everyone back. 

I have decided to skip going to gym during the next two weeks. I had been wearing a mask while there for the past couple of weeks--after the delta variant became all the rage in the news. And I am wearing a mask while shopping again. It was so nice not to for the past few months. That said, I can abide by the rules while on the ship and hope to have a wonderful cruise. 

I guess you saw that those of us in Durham County are masked again. I never really stopped because I have chronic lung disease. My daughter works in Wake and she's been mostly remote with maybe two to three in-office days/month. I'm at a surgery center and only off for Cooper's "no elective surgery" ruling.

We were masking at the rink (I ice skate) but that dropped off a few months ago. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them mandatory again, especially since a lot of the skaters are young and probably ineligible for vaccines.

36 minutes ago, Ombud said:

When i retired my goal was for 4 trips a year .... its been 16 months (local doesn't count). I even got the shot -- just 1 -- now they say we might need it yearly. Whoever gets yearly shots?!?! 

I get a flu shot every year. Especially now.

• Like 7

On 8/6/2021 at 12:19 PM, mina said:

For everyone thinking of Walgreens, be aware that their rapid diagnostic test called ID now is a genetic test, it is not an antigen or pcr test.  In the phx area, that is the only rapid test available.  Their rapid antigen test is only showing as available in Washington state when I go to schedule it.   Not sure if Princess will accept their ID now test.

I'm just reading this now, I am also in the PHX area. Try https://embryhealth.com/covid-19-testing/ They told me today they do PCR testing with results in 1-2 days.

• Like 1

I've just caught up on the last 48 hours worth of posts, many about the difficulties in finding pharmacy locations that provide testing. 

Has everyone tried their local health service first?  My sister and brother-in-law were tested today in  Arlington, VA (suburb of Washington, DC). Testing - no residency required - was conducted at a central location with no advanced registration, no cost and no symptoms required.

In addition the state of Virginia Department of Health website includes information on testing locations, both public and private, throughout the state.

Good luck to all on getting the tests with minimal hassle and with negative results!

Edited by capriccio

5 hours ago, mellon1 said:

I don't think it is possible anywhere when one of the ships has over 6,000 or more passengers and how many are in the port on the weekends????  The tests will probably not be available or have staff to administer even offsite, like Walgreens.

No existing Princess ship can hold 6000 passengers.

No existing Walgreens can handle 6000 passengers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, caribill said:

No existing Princess ship can hold 6000 passengers.

No existing Walgreens can handle 6000 passengers.

But if you put the Grand (2600) and the Majestic (3560) leaving on the same day, right next to each other, you may have 6000 passengers between the two.  I like the way NCL is using CVS in your home town.  That spreads out the testing.  That might even be an incentive to get the tests back sooner.

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Their CruiseHealth FAQ webpage answers those questions.

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/

UPDATED: What if I test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal on embarkation day?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts.

If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Change fees and reasonable expenses related to shoreside medical care for COVID-19, shoreside quarantine and travel home for you and your immediate travel party will be covered by Princess if not reimbursable from medical insurance, travel protection plan or other responsible party.

Additionally, any shoreside meals will be covered through Princess by a per diem meal allowance, we will provide a dedicated Family Assistance liaison for care and logistical shoreside support, and provide assistance opening insurance claims for those guests who purchased travel protection.

Thanks for posting this update. It was referred to yesterday, as well. 

On 8/6/2021 at 12:19 PM, mina said:

For everyone thinking of Walgreens, be aware that their rapid diagnostic test called ID now is a genetic test, it is not an antigen or pcr test.  In the phx area, that is the only rapid test available.  Their rapid antigen test is only showing as available in Washington state when I go to schedule it.   Not sure if Princess will accept their ID now test.

Here is the literature on ID NOW.  It is an acceptable NAAT test:

Our ID NOW test is an example of one of the 2 molecular testing options available: NAAT (nucleic acid amplification) and PCR (polymerase chain reaction).

https://www.urgencyroom.com/blogpost?id=1061

The NAAT procedure works by first amplifying – or making many copies of – the virus’s genetic material, if any is present in a person’s specimen. Amplifying those nucleic acids enables NAATs to detect very small amounts of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in a specimen, making these tests highly sensitive for diagnosing COVID-19. In other words, NAATs can reliably detect small amounts of SARS-CoV-2 and are unlikely to return a false-negative result of SARS-CoV-2.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/naats.html

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

But if you put the Grand (2600) and the Majestic (3560) leaving on the same day, right next to each other, you may have 6000 passengers between the two.

True, but the Majestic is the only ship sailing from Seattle at the current time.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 11:05 AM, Stevanb said:

Has anyone been on a Princess ship that has been vaccinated ?  We  wanted to know if you have to wear a mask in the public areas ?

Thank You in Advance

As of right now, until August 15th, no masks are required anywhere, although recommended.  As of August 15th masks are required in elevators, boarding or disembarking, theater, and other places where social distancing is required.  The last part is not clear at this time.  On the cruise I just got off, there were few passengers wearing masks anywhere and no enforcement.  I imagine that will change when the new rules go into effect in a week.  Masks were required in the terminal buildings, as least in Seattle.

24 minutes ago, caribill said:

True, but the Majestic is the only ship sailing from Seattle at the current time.

They will be in San Pedro at the same time.  Thus making testing at the port a nightmare.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to see testing done at the pier.

15 minutes ago, Random Name said:

As of right now, until August 15th, no masks are required anywhere, although recommended.  As of August 15th masks are required in elevators, boarding or disembarking, theater, and other places where social distancing is required. 

As of August 15, a negative Covid test is required of all passengers.

As of August 8, the mask requirement is in effect.

14 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I'm good.  Going to CVS before my next trip "home". (not required).  Are you sure your Walgreens has ID NOW rapid test?  Almost every drive through Walgreens has 3 day PCR test.  

I'd never looked that far into their website. Now I did...no rapid. Oh well, we have CVS, too.

30 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I did check with our county health department. Their website says results back in four to six days. How that helps anybody at all, I don't know. An unvaccinated covid sufferer could be in a world of hurt before ever getting those results back.

Did you find a location? 

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

I did check with our county health department. Their website says results back in four to six days. How that helps anybody at all, I don't know. An unvaccinated covid sufferer could be in a world of hurt before ever getting those results back.

I agree.  That's a shame.  My sister and brother-in-law got their results this morning (thankfully negative).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Mina..Can you provide a link with you claim of the genetic test?

I meant to say molecular - not genetic.  Also - I posted that before Princess updated their list of tests -- I think I later posted that the IDNow appears to be on the updated list from princess.   Not sure the reason it got pulled up again, sorry for the confusion.  

11 hours ago, mjceditor said:

I'm just reading this now, I am also in the PHX area. Try https://embryhealth.com/covid-19-testing/ They told me today they do PCR testing with results in 1-2 days.

Yes, I am going to go there as there is a drive thru site about 4 miles from our house.  Also think I may hedge our bets and also go to CVS for the rapid antigen test the next day.   However, CVS is telling me we will need to pay for any travel test -- where as the embry does not require payment.   Thank you for the heads up! 

• Like 1

@mjceditor there is another drive through place that provides results in an hour in the arrowhead mall parking lot.  They for sure charge 129 dollars,  but if I validate that CVS will charge for travel tests, then I am going to go there as it is ten dollars cheaper for the antigen travel test.   https://www.covidclinic.org/glendale/

Edited by mina
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

Did you find a location? 

We found a location an hour and a quarter away from us that people say gets the results back in around 12 hours. I'd feel more comfortable with a rapid test that comes back immediately, so we're continuing our quest. We do have an appointment for the 12 hour timeframe test. 

• Like 1