Ovation Turned Away Half a Dozen Unvaccinated Cruisers in Seattle

SeaHunt

1 hour ago, SUSIEK said:

I know people who say  "I'm going on a cruise!".   When I ask them the name of the ship.... they reply with "I don't know, but it goes to Mexico."   In my mind I'm thinking..... how can you not know??  Nothing amazed me anymore :-0

"how could you not know?"

Perhaps because they don't care as much about cruising and Ship names compared to you or I, or the other members of CC.    

My brother is this way. He has been on a couple of cruises. He didn't care what the ship's name was. All he cared about was where it was going, that it had balcony cabins, places to eat, and that the boat floated. Now, ask him what oil he has in his cars, and he would go on and on about the different types, and the different brands for hours and hours. For me, I just put in whatever my mechanic recommends.  All I care about is does it do it's job. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/17/2021 at 11:34 AM, AustinCruise said:

Thanks!  That’s good to know. 

I do not recall being presented with any such box when I did my checkin a few weeks ago for Indy. 

Just another follow-up, I looked at my Cruise Contract and it includes this info:

b. Agreement to Abide by Current COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures are subject to guidance and directives of established health authorities in the U.S. and other destinations where the Vessel visits, including the CDC  and other international, national and local health agencies when the Vessel is within those agencies’ jurisdiction.  Passenger acknowledges that these directives may change from time to time and that Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures may therefore change. Passenger expressly agrees to comply not only with the COVID-19 Policies and Procedures as they are described herein, but also as they are set forth on Carrier’s website at  www.RoyalCaribbean.com, at all times including pre-embarkation, while onboard, during port calls and shore excursions and/or final disembarkation.  In case of any conflict between the COVID-19 Policies and Procedures described herein or on Carrier’s website, the website governs.  Passenger’s agreement to abide by Carrier’s COVID-19 Policies and Procedures constitutes an integral part of this Ticket Contract. 

Then the graphic below was posted under the Cruise Contract, requiring a check-mark in the box to continue on:

Confirm.png

Edited by brillohead

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, kirtihk said:

In general - true.  However, I don't expect from my TA ANYTHING at all whatsoever these days!!! Why?!! - what to expect from him?!!  - have you or whoever else been working for free during 18 months?!!  and on top of that paying your employees (my agent is actually an owner of his agency)?!!  My agent does exactly that and working more hours than prior to February 2020 - 14-16 a day, every day (yes, including weekends).  What is he doing for those long hours?!! - cancelling and rebooking while being on the phone with cruise lines sometimes for 4-6 hours (waiting and hoping not to lose them), cancelling and rebooking, cancelling and rebooking, cancelling and rebooking... - no revenue, no a penny, nothing.  I'm writing about it in many quotes, and no one replies (no one cares, right?!!).  We are only care about what are told to be, right?!!  Every one else is a casualty of the "war", collateral damage so to speak.

I sell trade show space.  I spent many, many months cancelling and rebooking people and processing refunds, working 14-16 hours a day, including weekends.  I even took the time to hand write a note of gratitude to 20 customers per week during that time.  I ended each day with a stress headache because of being yelled and cursed at all day, every day for something that was not my fault and of which I had ZERO control.  I did it because IT WAS MY JOB.  And I didn't drop the ball on anything as major as making sure they knew the requirements for attending the show they were booked into once shows began to reopen.  So yeah, if the TA never told them (which I'm not sure was the case, the TA failed at their job.  Miserably.  

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 11:53 AM, grandgeezer said:

Having a credit card means nothing, it doesn't show means to pay for anything. I use a credit card for my account and there hasn't been a new cruise related charge in almost ten years. In fact there is always a credit issued to repay the refundable obc we receive from our travel agent.

People who don't have the means to stay in a hotel for a night and pay a change fee to get back home early flat out shouldn't be traveling.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, qwertyuoip said:

A lot of people don't have the means (ability) to read all the legal mumbo-jumbo presented to them, and many that do, still don't read them because it's not like you can negotiate this with the cruise line.

It's a stupid game, and I'm not saying that people aren't responsible for what they agree to, even in a one-sided situation. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be too hard on anyone because it's unreasonable to expect that all passengers understand these agreements.

Should these people be held to the terms of the contract if they don't have ability to read and understand it when it's presented to them?

Threads like this is why I added the two links below to my signature, just in case someone notices and goes to the protocol page, or wants to know about proctored home testing.

It's really best to go with the most cautious approach if you're going to spend money and go somewhere there are a lot of people. 

Vaccine, vaccine, booster (when available), read, read, read, fill out the forms, test.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, qwertyuoip said:

A lot of people don't have the means (ability) to read all the legal mumbo-jumbo presented to them, and many that do, still don't read them because it's not like you can negotiate this with the cruise line.

It's a stupid game, and I'm not saying that people aren't responsible for what they agree to, even in a one-sided situation. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be too hard on anyone because it's unreasonable to expect that all passengers understand these agreements.

"You need tested to board" is hardly last year of law school levels of obscurity

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2021 at 4:28 PM, SSBrickNJ said:

Seeking an answer as well.

I am vaccinated but my wife and daughter have thus far chosen not to be.

We have a RCL cruise out of Cape Liberty NJ in December.

???My wife and daughter can have a negative result on a Covid test within the 72 hours timeframe before sailing and they or good to go?...Or....like this thread's topic...everyone needs to be vaccinated?

My advice is to go ahead and cancel and hope for money back as it is already too late to get wife and daughter vaccinated. I was told that all vaccinations had to be completed 2 weeks prior to boarding. That is not possible now when you need a month between shots. Perhaps the one shot J& J would work for them. At any rate I would not look to the cruise Line to go an inch out of their way to help you.

I am so happy that this has been posted.  Although both my hubby and I are vaccinated, we were not aware that only Florida departures allowed unvaccinated passengers.  We lived in Florida for 10 years but have moved back home to Hawaii. 

A group of us are sailing on the Ovation to Alaska next year.  After reading this post, I just informed my SIL that everyone must be vaccinated.  She was grateful for me letting her know.  She said that her TA told her that everyone needed to be vaccinated.  So she was grateful that I let her know that only Florida departures cannot refuse the unvaccinated.  So, she said she won’t be taking anymore cruises out of Florida.

Just read that Texas also cannot discrimination against unvaccinated passengers, in addition to Florida.

Does anyone know if there is a limit to the percentage of unvaccinated passengers allowed on these cruises?  Just curious.

5 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I am leaving from Florida on a Norwegian cruise and all passengers have to be vaccinated. Your information is wrong. It is an ever changing environment. 

Glad you corrected me.  I thought that Florida’s Governor DeSantis said that the cruise lines could not discriminate against the unvaccinated.  Apparently that’s wrong info.

Thanks for letting me know.  My apologies.

On 8/14/2021 at 5:33 PM, SSBrickNJ said:

I appreciate your response . Thank you!

You do have to be vaccinated if you're getting on the cruise ship in Florida at least 14 days prior to departure and then be tested within 2 days of departure.  

On 8/14/2021 at 10:49 AM, firefly333 said:

As far as I heard seattle departures were all fully vaccinated, but idk. Never remember seeing a change. More than likely someone read florida departures and thought was for all. I remember someone I wouldnt name arguing with me ...then said oh she meant nassau, so was arguing black was white on protocols and sure she was right and never mentioned nassau. I stay away from such posters once they argue black is white .. I'd say ports protocols confused. Happens even on cc

They want to be made whole, and want money lol. What if they were quarantined and needed to pay. Agree if you are this broke, with no funds for emergencies dont cruise right now. 

The boat has taken off,” lamented Sylver. “Nobody has talked to us. Nobody has offered us transportation or seen that we had a place to stay. They just keep like ‘you’re at fault.’”

Their trip of a lifetime to Alaska had run aground.

In fact, she says they are all retired, all on fixed incomes. And they frankly can’t afford to stay the night in Seattle and then fly home early to Illinois.

They say they will work to be made whole by Royal Caribbean.

They need to be reimbursed by their TA.  

12 minutes ago, cruise77 said:

I thought Florida required vaccines for 12 and up,  when did they change???

They did not change. Back during the summer Florida tried to block Vaccine Mandates, but that got overturned in the courts. The current policy is all people 12+ must be vaccinated on all sailings. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 2:15 PM, ducklite said:

I sell trade show space.  I spent many, many months cancelling and rebooking people and processing refunds, working 14-16 hours a day, including weekends.  I even took the time to hand write a note of gratitude to 20 customers per week during that time.  I ended each day with a stress headache because of being yelled and cursed at all day, every day for something that was not my fault and of which I had ZERO control.  I did it because IT WAS MY JOB.  And I didn't drop the ball on anything as major as making sure they knew the requirements for attending the show they were booked into once shows began to reopen.  So yeah, if the TA never told them (which I'm not sure was the case, the TA failed at their job.  Miserably.  

So, basically, for last 11+ months we live in the world of √-1.