Ovation Turned Away Half a Dozen Unvaccinated Cruisers in Seattle

SeaHunt

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Funny you mention that. Any time I book a flight I always check the airplane type that is listed. I have in the past, pricing being equal, chosen a flight because it was a type if plane that I had not yet been on.

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve thought 747s were the coolest plane ever. Finally got a chance to fly in one a few years back, though I had to jump through a few hoops to get on the 747 flight. 

It was.... a flight. Other than walking past stairs on the way in and out, not really different from any other flight. But at lest I can say I’ve been on one. 

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I checked in for my Freedom cruise last night, and before I even started the process, a huge box popped up (covered probably 75% of my screen) listing the rules.  Then later on towards/at the end of the process, I had to check a box acknowledging that I was aware of the health protocols.  

RCCL didn't leave any door open -- they did everything possible to make sure that anyone checking in knows what is going on.

Thanks!  That’s good to know. 

I do not recall being presented with any such box when I did my checkin a few weeks ago for Indy. 

I whole-hardheartedly agree that these passengers (and their presumably clueless TA) need to accept responsibility for not knowing about the mandatory vaccine requirement.  What is unfortunate is these out-of-towners having to face  'what next' at 4 PM when the terminal closes, in an unfamiliar and expensive city.  They would have had to either decided to get themselves back to the airport to fly back home, or find a reasonably priced hotel rooms for their group.  They also would not have had eaten since there are no amenities at Pier 91.   I understand why they would be cranky and frustrated.

I have a good friend who works at Pier 91 and he just recently helped an older couple who were denied boarding due to not having the necessary travel documents.  He spoke to them shortly after they exited the terminal and they shared their story.  At the end of his shift he found that they were still sitting outside the terminal building unsure what to do.  He ended up suggesting a nearby hotel and drove them there himself.  It is overwhelming for these people when they are denied boarding.  You just wish that they did their due diligence and avoided the situation that they now find themselves (and there is no refund if you show up without the necessary documents).

People need to do their due diligence. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve thought 747s were the coolest plane ever. Finally got a chance to fly in one a few years back, though I had to jump through a few hoops to get on the 747 flight. 

It was.... a flight. Other than walking past stairs on the way in and out, not really different from any other flight. But at lest I can say I’ve been on one. 

We've been upstairs in the 747, in premium economy.  It is nice, much less crowded, quieter.   It was pretty cool because I'd been dreaming of it since I was a kid as well.

• Like 1

And beyond the fact that they didn’t know they had to be vaxxed, who in their right mind these days, voluntarily puts themselves in a crowded situation, and not be vaxxed. I know a lot still do. It’s almost like playing Russian Roulette.

My daughter just lost a friend, worked security at a very popular bar/club. He was 35 with kids, and one on the way. He wasn’t vaccinated. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Funny you mention that. Any time I book a flight I always check the airplane type that is listed. I have in the past, pricing being equal, chosen a flight because it was a type if plane that I had not yet been on.

I checked too.  This is my first flight since 1994 lol.  I was still curious to know what my planes would be.  Im on a 757 from ATL to SEA and then 737-900ER on the return to ATL post cruise.

We are on Serenade the 30th of this month out of Seattle.  I received the following email a couple of days ago.  I am aware of the vaccination requirements for the cruise and we are vaccinated but if they got the same email I did, I understand some of the confusion.  We do not have children cruising with us and I am the specific guest they reference. My wife received the same email with her name.  If vaccinations are mandatory, why are they even sending this email out?  

I'm not saying that the mess on Ovation was RCCL's fault, but they are not helping the situation mass emailing all of the guests.  This just adds to the confusion of the many different policy changes that continue to occur.  They know our ages so why not target the email to who it really applies to.

Unvaccinated Guests: Register for your boarding day PCR test today!

Dear Guest,

As promised, we’re reaching out with details about scheduling your boarding day PCR test for COVID-19, conducted by our medical services partner, BioReference Labs. This is in addition to the negative PCR or antigen test required for all guests (regardless of vaccination status) ages 2 and up, which must be taken no more than 3 days prior to your sailing and must be arranged by each guest at their own expense.

For your safety, all unvaccinated guests ages 2 and older are required to take a PCR test during check-in on boarding day (plus, a debarkation antigen test, which we’ll share more details about once you’re onboard.)

It's important to register for your boarding day PCR test as soon as possible to avoid delays in your check-in process. If you're vaccinated, you don't have to complete this registration for yourself. However, you may have received this email because the guest below may need to undergo boarding day testing. Please share this information with them or complete it for them if they are your minor child.

(Testing code and reservation info was here with my name)

Register for your test
  • Each guest must use their unique Reference ID listed above when registering with BioReference Labs. If you or someone in your travelling party has not received an email including a unique Reference ID, please contact us at 1 (800) 256-6649.
  • Parents, you’ll need to register for your children under 18 years old using your child’s unique Reference ID.
  • Issues registering for your boarding day PCR test for COVID-19? Contact us at 1 (800) 256-6649.
  •  Click Here to register with BioReference Labs to schedule your PCR test for COVID-19.
Boarding day
  • Testing is being held at the cruise terminal, where you’ll check-in.
  • All unvaccinated guests ages 2 and up will be required to take this test in order to board. Guests under 2 years of age will not be tested.
  • It’s important that you show up exactly at your selected check-in time. Otherwise, you may be asked to return at a later time.
  • If you're feeling unwell, please stay home and contact us at 1 (800) 256-6649. We will gladly work with you to reschedule or refund your cruise.
After your test
  • Our testing partner, BioReference Labs, will provide your results via email.
    • Please note, your results will also be shared with Royal Caribbean International.
  • If your result is negative and you’re approved to sail, we’ll look forward to welcoming you onboard!
  • If your result is positive or inconclusive, a pier agent will share next steps with you. Rest assured, we will take care of you.

And remember, please stay safe – it's important to continue wearing your mask, keeping a safe distance from others, washing your hands often, etc.

We’re looking forward to seeing you onboard!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International
  • Like 1

I'm guessing that these people were likely, at least somewhat, to blame, but I also understand the confusion.  We're hearing all kinds of reports from current cruises about wearing wrist bands, vaccinated, and unvaccinated venues, being able to go off on your own if vaccinated, but the need to stay with a ship tour if not, etc. etc. etc.  So, it sounds like vaccinated and unvaccinated guests are welcomed.  If they are only talking about those who are 12 an under, why does a 65 year old need to wear a wrist band?  Isn't it obvious we're vaccinated if we're not 12?  And, we've been told you need a PCR or Antigen test regardless of if you are vaccinated or not.

We're on the September 3rd, Ovation and we still haven't received any official notice about what we're supposed to do.  We "assume" we'll have to be tested.  One person at RCI said "yes" and another said they have only decided through August so nothing is for sure yet.

The message is really mixed, ever changing, and unclear.  If only children are allowed on the ship unvaccinated, why not just call them "children" instead of unvaccinated guests.  That would make it more clear.

Personally, I would never go to the dock without being at least very sure about the requirements (we still have over 2 weeks until our cruise), but it is not too difficult to see how people can be confused with the hardly clear at all instructions.

There are also pictures, on Cruise Critic of people in venues not wearing masks with people saying things like "how dare they...", but that's also unclear.  The information, even today says you don't need a mask in "vaccinated venues" and you can only go to "unvaccinated venues" if you are not vaccinated (I think they  mean children or people hanging out with them), but it doesn't really say that so tacitly implying there are some adults that are not vaccinated?!?!?  So, all adults have to be vaccinated, unless they're not.

I try to keep up with what I think are the instructions at:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

But... this link has changed 3 times in the last week or so and I had to do some googling to even get to it in the first place (again RCI has not sent us anything directly).

I think they are expecting people to be too tech savvy and to be able to keep up with all of the confusing information.

They could even send an email saying something like:

"We're going to send you instructions right before your cruise so don't worry... we got you covered!"

But, so far they haven't said anything specific.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flamingos said:

We've been upstairs in the 747, in premium economy.  It is nice, much less crowded, quieter.   It was pretty cool because I'd been dreaming of it since I was a kid as well.

I remember the mid 70s as a kid being on a 747 with the upstairs as a lounge. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tserface said:

I'm guessing that these people were likely, at least somewhat, to blame, but I also understand the confusion.  We're hearing all kinds of reports from current cruises about wearing wrist bands, vaccinated, and unvaccinated venues, being able to go off on your own if vaccinated, but the need to stay with a ship tour if not, etc. etc. etc.  So, it sounds like vaccinated and unvaccinated guests are welcomed.  If they are only talking about those who are 12 an under, why does a 65 year old need to wear a wrist band?  Isn't it obvious we're vaccinated if we're not 12?  And, we've been told you need a PCR or Antigen test regardless of if you are vaccinated or not.

We're on the September 3rd, Ovation and we still haven't received any official notice about what we're supposed to do.  We "assume" we'll have to be tested.  One person at RCI said "yes" and another said they have only decided through August so nothing is for sure yet.

The message is really mixed, ever changing, and unclear.  If only children are allowed on the ship unvaccinated, why not just call them "children" instead of unvaccinated guests.  That would make it more clear.

Personally, I would never go to the dock without being at least very sure about the requirements (we still have over 2 weeks until our cruise), but it is not too difficult to see how people can be confused with the hardly clear at all instructions.

There are also pictures, on Cruise Critic of people in venues not wearing masks with people saying things like "how dare they...", but that's also unclear.  The information, even today says you don't need a mask in "vaccinated venues" and you can only go to "unvaccinated venues" if you are not vaccinated (I think they  mean children or people hanging out with them), but it doesn't really say that so tacitly implying there are some adults that are not vaccinated?!?!?  So, all adults have to be vaccinated, unless they're not.

I try to keep up with what I think are the instructions at:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

But... this link has changed 3 times in the last week or so and I had to do some googling to even get to it in the first place (again RCI has not sent us anything directly).

I think they are expecting people to be too tech savvy and to be able to keep up with all of the confusing information.

They could even send an email saying something like:

"We're going to send you instructions right before your cruise so don't worry... we got you covered!"

But, so far they haven't said anything specific.

I have a cruise out of Miami on Sept 10th and, like yourself, I have not received any instructions whatsoever from RCI.  At first, vaccinated people on short cruises 4 nights or less did not have to be tested but now they do -- I guess one has to do the research and stay abreast of many changes and updates.  Since I'm just a short ride to PortMiami, whatever happens doesn't really affect me as I could be back home in minutes.  I would never get on a plane and fly half across the country without checking and double checking the requirements for boarding a ship, especially in a Covid world, that's for sure. 

It's amazing that people who choose not to be vaccinated are even traveling with groups and getting on an airplane and ship with lots of people.  Why would anyone run the risk?  Vaccines are readily available and free.  I feel bad for this group but they should have done better research before they left home. They can afford a cruise and air fare but they can't afford to stay one night at a hotel?  Doesn't make any sense. Something is definitely wrong with this picture. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I have a cruise out of Miami on Sept 10th and, like yourself, I have not received any instructions whatsoever from RCI.  At first, vaccinated people on short cruises 4 nights or less did not have to be tested but now they do -- I guess one has to do the research and stay abreast of many changes and updates.  Since I'm just a short ride to PortMiami, whatever happens doesn't really affect me as I could be back home in minutes.  I would never get on a plane and fly half across the country without checking and double checking the requirements for boarding a ship, especially in a Covid world, that's for sure. 

It's amazing that people who choose not to be vaccinated are even traveling with groups and getting on an airplane and ship with lots of people.  Why would anyone run the risk?  Vaccines are readily available and free.  I feel bad for this group but they should have done better research before they left home. They can afford a cruise and air fare but they can't afford to stay one night at a hotel?  Doesn't make any sense. Something is definitely wrong with this picture. 

We're driving 5 hours time to the port, but same as you we are taking our cruise because we could drive there.  It's too soon to take the risk of flying with all the testing going on.

I'm guessing the group will get a refund because of Royals' very fair policy, but that won't account for plane flights and hotel stays.

I'm not sure why adults choose to not be vaccinated.  I guess that's their right (to make that choice), but if one does then they have to be extra careful and be willing to live with the rules for not being vaccinated.  I could understand this better if this group was vaccinated and didn't think they needed to be tested. That would make more sense.  I feel sorry for them.  It would suck to show up all excited and be turned away.

In our case, if we test positive, we just won't go there at all.  We're also semi-quarantining for the two weeks leading up to the tests (no public without masks, no restaurants, no hanging with grandkids 😞 ) just to increase our chances of successful testing.  We're really looking forward to cruising again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tserface said:

Well interesting that on Celebrity site, they have testing required up to and including Sept 6th.

Not sure why RCL is not mentioning Sept.

I am on the 10th cruise on Ovation and I just assume that I will need a test.  I will make the appoint 2 weeks in advance from CVS.

I truly feel that all the lines are struggling with protocols changing and covid cases. 

Back up 3 months ago and I never would have thought all the information would have been so messed up and confusing.   CDC and FL Governor -----THANKS A LOT.  

So you are lucky you only have to drive.  I would not do NCL as they test you at the port and could get a positive in error and be turned away.  besides go read review for Encore sounds like Ketchikan dock is a lot of drama.  Ovation has better docking times and berths.

Also wonder how things will be once kids go back to school or can get the vaccine.  Such drama!!!!!

Hope you get to enjoy your cruise.  I have come close to cancelling so many times but now I will keep it.  Been following the ship on PTZtv. cruisin,com and Elliot Bay webcam.    

10 hours ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

I’ve even chosen longer layover times in order to explore the new airport fully.  

I have done this too 😁, and have also chosen longer layover times to try out the business lounges I haven’t yet visited (last memorable one was Hong Kong which has 4 different and excellent Cathay lounges) 😁

I miss flying 😢

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badvector said:

I'm not saying that the mess on Ovation was RCCL's fault, but they are not helping the situation mass emailing all of the guests.  This just adds to the confusion of the many different policy changes that continue to occur.  They know our ages so why not target the email to who it really applies to.

Unvaccinated Guests: Register for your boarding day PCR test today!

Sheesh! Who is writing all these confusing (and sometimes conflicting) emails these days? Their illustrious IT department? 🙄

1 hour ago, tserface said:

I'm guessing the group will get a refund because of Royals' very fair policy, but that won't account for plane flights and hotel stays.

My bet is no refund because a) the mandatory vaccine requirement for cruising adults was well publicized in the national media; and b) the denied group worked with a travel agent who really should have known what was required of the passengers to travel.  I think these poor folks are just out of luck on this one, unless they can recoup their loss thru small claims court against the travel agent.

9 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

My bet is no refund because a) the mandatory vaccine requirement for cruising adults was well publicized in the national media; and b) the denied group worked with a travel agent who really should have known what was required of the passengers to travel.  I think these poor folks are just out of luck on this one, unless they can recoup their loss thru small claims court against the travel agent.

I guess we'll see.  I'm sure the news will stay on top of it.  This morning they were making the family look like they were being totally mistreated.  RCI is pretty liberal with their refunds and FCC these days so they may do it just to get better publicity.

14 hours ago, jean87510 said:

it doesn't surprise me people are this misinformed.  I will never forget boarding at civitavecchia and a couple did not know what ship they were supposed to be on and couldn't find their folder in their bags with their boarding passes.  

It makes me wonder if this is not something similar.  They obviously did talk to someone since they knew that they needed a covid test and knew that the unvaccinated would have limitations.

I can completely see this happening:

RC:  Answers the phone

Lady: I am sailing in August. Can you tell me if I need a vaccine

RC: What ship are you sailing on?

Lady: I don't remember. Starts with an O

RC: We have Odyssey and Ovation sailing in August. What port are you sailing from?

Lady: Not sure what the port is. Odyssey sounds like the right one

RC: Gives protocols for a Florida sailing

Lady: Thanks. Does not check if the ship was correct. Kids with the smart phone don't fact check Grandma. They all hop on a plane to Seattle to board "Odyssey."

I have seen people here mix up Ovation and Odyssey. I can imagine it would be even easier for the clueless who don't do any research. And just what did they "plan" for 2 years.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure RCG will refund cruise fare. If they are flying people who test positive for covid privately, then they are giving refunds. These people are just like the fake vax lady, they are entitled....they want to be made complety whole. They expect RCG to cover airfare, hotel fare , etc. Even if all the wording on each letter is confusing as heck, planning a trip with limited funds over 2 years would warrant a bit of research. I am 95% sure they they thought RCG wasn't going to turn them away and if they did they could get something extra out of the whole ordeal.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cured said:

RC:  Answers the phone

Lady: I am sailing in August. Can you tell me if I need a vaccine

RC: What ship are you sailing on?

Lady: I don't remember. Starts with an O

RC: We have Odyssey and Ovation sailing in August. What port are you sailing from?

Unlike Royal’s IT department, the customer phone reps are pretty competent. They’d insist on finding the actual reservation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AustinCruise said:

Thanks!  That’s good to know. 

I do not recall being presented with any such box when I did my checkin a few weeks ago for Indy. 

I'm checking in for my Symphony cruise in a few days, I'll try to remember to take a screen shot of the big pop-up box and also the check-mark box (if they are there, of course!).

10 hours ago, badvector said:

We are on Serenade the 30th of this month out of Seattle.  I received the following email a couple of days ago.  I am aware of the vaccination requirements for the cruise and we are vaccinated but if they got the same email I did, I understand some of the confusion.  We do not have children cruising with us and I am the specific guest they reference. My wife received the same email with her name.  If vaccinations are mandatory, why are they even sending this email out?  

<snip>

I'm wondering if you received it because your reservation isn't coded that you're both vaccinated?  

So, if this family got this same email, I wonder if they registered for a pre-boarding test?  Or, if they DIDN'T receive this email, did their inept TA code their reservation as being vaccinated already?

I'm *assuming* that this is the generic email that Royal is sending out for all sailings, which is why it is kind of ambiguous.

As for sending it out only to people with children for Seattle sailings, I think you're giving Royal's IT department a lot more credit than they deserve!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

I'm wondering if you received it because your reservation isn't coded that you're both vaccinated?  

So, if this family got this same email, I wonder if they registered for a pre-boarding test?  Or, if they DIDN'T receive this email, did their inept TA code their reservation as being vaccinated already?

I'm *assuming* that this is the generic email that Royal is sending out for all sailings, which is why it is kind of ambiguous.

As for sending it out only to people with children for Seattle sailings, I think you're giving Royal's IT department a lot more credit than they deserve!

We haven't been asked to provide any vaccination info at all yet.  We've completed our on-line check in and received our set sail passes already.  I'm assuming we'll have to fill out our health questionnaire via the app the day before we sail and that will ask about our vaccination status. 

I agree that it's a generic email that they are just sending out to cover their bases.  It just adds to the mess that already exists.  

Yeah, kind of my unspoken point on the IT department.  They already have all of the information they need to send these notifications to the correct audience but are either too lazy or inexperienced to automate it correctly.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 8:02 AM, ArthurUSCG said:

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, having different requirements for different ports is not the norm. It's like having different domestic flight rules when you fly out of JFK vs MIA. Since majority of cruises are closed loop, a lot of the international travel stuff doesn't normally apply.

And now, with each Caribbean island developing their own vaccination requirements, it's getting more and more confusing to the average tourist.

I follow along on a regular basis and I have to say if you are not confused you haven't been following along. The main reason that I'm holding off booking is that I am stressed just reading about the constant changes and rules between the cruise lines and the ports of call and the possibility of being turned away at port if testing positive. It's much easier to book a land trip with one location and keep track of that.  The on board experience isn't even a threat to me anymore.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

I follow along on a regular basis and I have to say if you are not confused you haven't been following along. The main reason that I'm holding off booking is that I am stressed just reading about the constant changes and rules between the cruise lines and the ports of call and the possibility of being turned away at port if testing positive. It's much easier to book a land trip with one location and keep track of that.  The on board experience isn't even a threat to me anymore.

That partly depends on what you want out of the cruise.  For me, the ship is basically the destination (a nice bubble of mostly vaccinated and all recently tested people, excellent crew, lots of dining venues at my fingertips, trivia, etc) and the ports are basically a bonus. So, from my standpoint, keeping up with what is needed to get to/board the hsip isn't much different than keeping up with what would be needed for a land trip, which is hoenstly not that different than keeping up with what the current week's rules are for leading my Girl Scout meetings.  It is jsut a matter of reading through things carefully and checking back often.  I fully understand why some people don't want to do that and choose not to travel...but it isn't impossible or surprising that as a deadly virus spreads and we learn more about it the  rules get adjusted on the fly.

• Like 6