Galveston passengers denied boarding, Covid test not back in time

rj59

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I just checked and it's $150 for 6 tests, which may or may not be reimbursable by insurance. I have checked with the line we are sailing with in November and this test is also acceptable for them. The only question is- will our port (Bermuda) accept the test?

What ship does royal have sailing to Bermuda this year?

Bermuda has some strict rules.

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Cvs minute clinics do the rapid test, did you call local cvs stores to find out as I find their website unreliable.

Also check with urgent care centers, most in my area offer rapid antigen test for free.

We did UrgiCare.  Only one CVS here does the rapid test. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

What ship does royal have sailing to Bermuda this year?

Bermuda has some strict rules.

I am not sailing on Royal to Bermuda, we are on Carnival. As I understand it cruising from the States to Bermuda doesn't start again until the end of this month, so we will be watching developments to see what unfolds. From reading the Bermuda government site as long as the test is administered by an accredited lab it will be accepted, so that's promising.

1 hour ago, xxHadleyxx said:

But I agree that offering rapid PCR testing at the port terminal seem likes probably the best thing to do, at all their ports.  I am a little surprised they don't (even if they charged for it, if you had that option, it is a good fail safe)

I would be willing to pay just to avoid the aggravation trying to make the appointment for the  test and the worry of the result not arriving in time.  I work for one of the the big chain drug stores. The other day I had an upset stomach at work and wanted to be tested even though that's not a symptom. As an employee I wasn't able to get tested on the spot because all the appointments were booked. So many people are testing now. Maybe they need a test before they return to college campus.  I have an appointment at a lab for an antibody test on Tue to see how the vaccine performing.  I plan on getting the booster in Nov or Dec.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, footzz said:

RCG probably thought providing testing at the pier wasn't a good idea after the mayhem that ensued when Celebrity sprung last minute testing requirements in Florida in July. 

It can work if it is set up and planned. Requiring it on the spot without logistic planning was a recipe for disaster. 

14 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I would be willing to pay just to avoid the aggravation trying to make the appointment for the  test and the worry of the result not arriving in time.  I work for one of the the big chain drug stores. The other day I had an upset stomach at work and wanted to be tested even though that's not a symptom. As an employee I wasn't able to get tested on the spot because all the appointments were booked. So many people are testing now. Maybe they need a test before they return to college campus.  I have an appointment at a lab for an antibody test on Tue to see how the vaccine performing.  I plan on getting the booster in Nov or Dec.  

Too many people getting tested is an issue everywhere..I've never seen such panic..if you don't have the symptoms of Covid, why get tested unless you need it for work or travel?  

Stepping down off soapbox, and I didn't mean to seem to single you out.  I hope you feel better.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Too many people getting tested is an issue everywhere..I've never seen such panic..if you don't have the symptoms of Covid, why get tested unless you need it for work or travel?  

Because you can be a carrier and spreader and have no symptoms and you care about others?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

One thing to be careful of when buying the home tests in their expiration date, which you likely won't know until they arrive.

Just as an example of the expiration on the BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card test expiration...

The test kits have a 12-month expiration; they do get shipped from one source so it's not like these are sitting on your store shelf for 11 months and then getting into your hands when you order. 

Abbott Letterhead (nd.gov)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CruisinMama2003 said:

Does Walgreens sell the proctored ID NOW test that is accepted by the cruiselines? I had been reading that the proctored ones can only be ordered thru eMed (or something like that), but if Walgreens is selling them then that would be alot easier than waiting for it to be shipped!

Not sure about the proctored tests.  They have minute clinics up here where you can get the testing done onsite.  If they still have the tests to do it.  They seem to have limited availability at different locations so hoping next week it's still okay.  I don't mind driving a bit. Just not to Virginia and back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Problem is they haven't yet worked out the bugs for those of us flying to the UK from other countries (for the cruises after the rule change).  We are on the 5 September sailing, flying in from Germany.  Drop down menu says we will get an email 18 days out to register for the rapid PCR at the terminal on day of and must register for that.  Except we only got the same email all of you UK residents do, with options to register 2-3 days prior to sailing (when we will not even be in the UK yet).  I am now up to 4 hours on hold, 3 on Wedensday and one so far today, three reps I have spoken to (including one in resolutions) and multiple emails (but radio silence from RCI yesterday).  Everyone agrees I need to register NOW for a test at the port on sailing date and everyone agrees I am not being given that option, but no one can figure out how to get me registered.  They really need to get this figured out.  

But I agree that offereing rapisd PCR testing at the port terminal seem likes probably the best thing to do, at all their ports.  I am a little surprised they don't (even if they charged for it, if you had that option, it is a good fail safe)

I feel for you, our covid rules for people coming into the uk are confusing. RCL dosnt help as their rules change so often and are confusing, even their customer service reps are confused. Hopefully if you need a test to enter the uk this one can be used for the cruise  as well. 

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Cvs minute clinics do the rapid test, did you call local cvs stores to find out as I find their website unreliable.

Also check with urgent care centers, most in my area offer rapid antigen test for free.

Yeah, we have called all around.  Our health department even does them.  Only on Monday - Thursday though and the earliest we can get it is Friday.  The urgent care centers we've spoken to will only do it if you have symptoms or have been exposed.  They won't do it for travel.

2 minutes ago, badvector said:

Not sure about the proctored tests.  They have minute clinics up here where you can get the testing done onsite.  If they still have the tests to do it.  They seem to have limited availability at different locations so hoping next week it's still okay.  I don't mind driving a bit. Just not to Virginia and back.

No, the Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is not sold in stores. You must purchase it online. There are currently two sources. eMed (eMed - Homepage) where you can buy a set of 6 tests for $150 and Optum where you can buy a pack of 1, 2 or 3 tests (COVID-19 Home Tests | Optum Store) for $50 for 1, or slightly less each for 2 or 3.

Do not be confused by the Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test that is available in Walgreen's or other stores. This version is purely for personal information purposes; you won't get a result usable for anything beyond your personal knowledge.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, dswallow said:

No, the Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is not sold in stores. You must purchase it online. There are currently two sources. eMed (eMed - Homepage) where you can buy a set of 6 tests for $150 and Optum where you can buy a pack of 1, 2 or 3 tests (COVID-19 Home Tests | Optum Store) for $50 for 1, or slightly less each for 2 or 3.

Do not be confused by the Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Antigen Self Test that is available in Walgreen's or other stores. This version is purely for personal information purposes; you won't get a result usable for anything beyond your personal knowledge.

We are hoping to schedule the Abbot ID Now which is a NAAT test that is accepted by Royal.  

16 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

I feel for you, our covid rules for people coming into the uk are confusing. RCL dosnt help as their rules change so often and are confusing, even their customer service reps are confused. Hopefully if you need a test to enter the uk this one can be used for the cruise  as well. 

Thanks. 

It's definitely a headache and a half 🤣

We've travelled to/from the USA, Germany and Norway during Covid....none have been as complicated and as difficult to get the legally required tests in the legally required time as the UK.   I just keep reminding myself it'll be worth it once we get on the ship

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 1

Does seem to be the emed.com  is the best option since you just take the test and have instant results and the E-card of verification on your phone. Am I missing something?

Edited by oracer

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Unfortunately, not al of their minute clinics do the rapid tests. The one closest to our home only does the PCR tests, so we had to go to another one about three miles down the road. The next closest one was twenty miles away.

We don’t cruise for a couple of months yet.  Hoping Delta calms down by then.  I’m thinking I’ll need to schedule a test and then a back up somewhere else much later in the day just to make sure I get it done.  I would of course cancel the second quickly as soon as I have rapid results.

I understand Royals policy.   But it is sad these folks couldn’t get the test in time.  The way things are going it could happen to a lot of people who simply can’t get an appointment to be tested. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, badvector said:

will only do it if you have symptoms or have been exposed

Couldn't we all say we have been exposed, how do we know or they know.  I'd bet money I've been exposed out and about at Wal Mart etc.  I would answer that affirmaticely.

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Because you can be a carrier and spreader and have no symptoms and you care about others?

So, under your scenario, everyone should be tested continually, because anyone (even if fully vaccinnated) at anytime "can be" an asymptomatic carrier...  and so if we don't get continually tested, we don't care about others?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

So, under your scenario, everyone should be tested continually, because anyone (even if fully vaccinnated) at anytime "can be" an asymptomatic carrier...  and so if we don't get continually tested, we don't care about others?

Continually? No.

But I don't think once a week is too much - especially if you are out and about and potentially being exposed and exposing others.

• Like 1

Some of you might know from the AOS 8/21 topic, but my party of 6 did the eMed tests and will be using those to board tomorrow in Nassau (will probably be one of the first ones with these, I am curious if they are aware of this in Nassau). Here’s the process:

- Buy a 6-pack on eMed. We bought 2 (12) for “just in case” which was smart since one of the test kits was faulty. We have 5 left if everyone is interested (I can work out a good deal, shipping end of the month)

- After you purchase them, eMed will provide a digital doctor prescription to have the tests approved for shipment

- They will ship FedEx overnight 

- When you are ready to test, make sure to:

* download the Navica App and setup an account

* have a device like a phone positioned on the table so they can see your face and the test kit

* Do NOT open the test kit until instructed 

* Have your ID (passport?) ready

- Open a browser, log into eMed and start the test

- The proctor will walk you through the entire test and tells you when to open the test kit

- After you are done with the process, you will need to wait 15 minutes. You can move around but can’t touch the test kit.

- After 15 minutes are up, you press a button on your screen and another proctor will reconnect to validate the results 

- The result will be available immediately in the Navica App (you will also receive an email

Tomorrow after check-in I might start a different topic just for this test and my experiences. Let me know if you have any questions.

1C78DA51-87D3-45CB-B12F-D0AF6C2344EF.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, exm said:

Some of you might know from the AOS 8/21 topic, but my party of 6 did the eMed tests and will be using those to board tomorrow in Nassau (will probably be one of the first ones with these, I am curious if they are aware of this in Nassau). Here’s the process:

- Buy a 6-pack on eMed. We bought 2 (12) for “just in case” which was smart since one of the test kits was faulty. We have 5 left if everyone is interested (I can work out a good deal, shipping end of the month)

- After you purchase them, eMed will provide a digital doctor prescription to have the tests approved for shipment

- They will ship FedEx overnight 

- When you are ready to test, make sure to:

* download the Navica App and setup an account

* have a device like a phone positioned on the table so they can see your face and the test kit

* Do NOT open the test kit until instructed 

* Have your ID (passport?) ready

- Open a browser, log into eMed and start the test

- The proctor will walk you through the entire test and tells you when to open the test kit

- After you are done with the process, you will need to wait 15 minutes. You can move around but can’t touch the test kit.

- After 15 minutes are up, you press a button on your screen and another proctor will reconnect to validate the results 

- The result will be available immediately in the Navica App (you will also receive an email

Tomorrow after check-in I might start a different topic just for this test and my experiences. Let me know if you have any questions.

1C78DA51-87D3-45CB-B12F-D0AF6C2344EF.jpeg

I believe you answered my question.  I wondered if a package of tests had to be used by the same individual.  It appears it can be split.  Thanks!

2 minutes ago, ATG said:

I believe you answered my question.  I wondered if a package of tests had to be used by the same individual.  It appears it can be split.  Thanks!

Correct. And I added my children to my account - I had to do the swabbing for them.

Around me free rapid and pcr testing is easily available everywhere from govt sponsored sites to drug stores to the large labs (Quest, Labcorp) to doctors offices and urgent care centers.  If you need one you can find one.  If all else fails there are always the airport kiosks.

• Like 1