I'v had it p to here.... with protocols and wondering.....

bjlaac

18 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Just keep in mind the rules for travel to Hawaii may also change again.

Anything can and probably will change - so no way will I be booking anything in advance that requires flying until things settle down - realizing that that could be several years.  Right now I’m enjoying my grandson - something I missed out on last year.  That is worth more to me than any cruise or vacation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Next thing you know there will be age, height and weight requirements.  “CDC recommends only those under 55, tall, fit and attractive should cruise” That eliminates most of the cruising population. 

The CDC is now saying the “elderly” with any kind of health issues should not take a cruise vaccinated or not.  

We are 65-70….go to the gym 5 days a week and take meds for a couple of conditions.  We are probably just as healthy, if not more healthy than some younger people.  

I guess the next thing is banning all us “elderly” from sailing!! 🥺🥺

7 hours ago, bjlaac said:

When we will be getting information on the requirements for cruises the rest of the year.  I have a final payment deadline due in early September and if the current protocols are in effect for my December sailing I'm probably going to cancel  our trip.  What actually became the last straw was the 3 day testing at our expense.  It negated any savings we made by booking over a year ago. 

We've been on over 40 cruises and the hoops just are not worth it to us and don't want to lay out thousands of $$$ knowing we will most likely cancel if the current requirements remain in effect.  For all you kind folks that don't mind the current protocols, good for you, I wish we felt the same way.  Sorry to create a new thread, just can't seem to find any information for the September and after sailings.

I don't think any one cares if you cancel or not.Do what is best for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We're almost two months into cruising restart and things have only got more strict. I personally wouldn't expect anything to change until the delta wave is well into the downslide and with the north starting to cool down more people will be inside so I'm not sure that downslide will be soon. 

NCL has already stated it will be 100% vax only at least through the end of the year. I'm willing to bet the other lines have already decided that too internally. 

Not sure on the legal side, but I wouldn't be surprised if the CSO was extended. But you won't hear anything on that for at least two more months. 

We are in the same situation, final payment is due August 30th for Harmony in December. Now I just found out 2 days ago everyone over 12 must be fully vaccinated and one person in my family can not get the vaccine due to a health condition. Our dilemma now is do we cancel or pay and hope the fully vaccinated rule changes after Nov. 1 which I do not think is likely. My understanding is we can do a lift and shift up 48 hours before the cruise but must sail between April22-October22.

Unless they can reformulate these vaccines for this Delta and knock it down to a cold the future of cruising is looking VERY problematic. 

Just cant see them ever making money again if masks, testing and reduced capacity are not going away and its not looking likely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bjlaac said:

When we will be getting information on the requirements for cruises the rest of the year.  I have a final payment deadline due in early September and if the current protocols are in effect for my December sailing I'm probably going to cancel  our trip.  What actually became the last straw was the 3 day testing at our expense.  It negated any savings we made by booking over a year ago. 

We've been on over 40 cruises and the hoops just are not worth it to us and don't want to lay out thousands of $$$ knowing we will most likely cancel if the current requirements remain in effect.  For all you kind folks that don't mind the current protocols, good for you, I wish we felt the same way.  Sorry to create a new thread, just can't seem to find any information for the September and after sailings.

Yep.

Not a money 'thing for us, just a MESS.

Everything is in, and will continue to be well into next year, a 'state of flux.'

The CDC, the states with cruise ports, the islands on the itinerary...

The CDC just (Friday, 8/2021) ~

"People with an increased risk of severe illness should also avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, regardless of vaccination status"

Wow, that a 'confidence BOOSTER.' (pun intended).

Further ~

"While CDC’s Mask Order is not being enforced on cruise ships, individual cruise lines may require travelers (passengers and crew) to wear masks indoors on board the ship"

5 hours ago, mek said:

I have a cruise for January that was booked in the fall of 2019, so I’m going ahead with that, but nothing else.

I have a January one booked also. Though I'm not as sure as you that I'll be going.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have a January one booked also. Though I'm not as sure as you that I'll be going.

I know you have previously mentioned that.  I don’t have to make final payment until mid October - so I have a little time to see how The DV progresses.

What ship are you on in January?  We are on Oasis.

6 hours ago, frito58 said:

But good luck finding an appointment….l just looked at CVS at or near Nashville nothing for Rapid test within 60 miles . Within 2 weeks. Our local Kroger is down 2 days out now on Rapid testing. Said they can’t keep up testing supplies. 

CVS rapid scheduling now opens day of..can't catch it in advance but you can still grab a PCR appointment.

4 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

The CDC is now saying the “elderly” with any kind of health issues should not take a cruise vaccinated or not.  

We are 65-70….go to the gym 5 days a week and take meds for a couple of conditions.  We are probably just as healthy, if not more healthy than some younger people.  

I guess the next thing is banning all us “elderly” from sailing!! 🥺🥺

Which begs the question, what age do they consider "elderly"?  I've seen some very fit 90 year olds and some very unfit teenagers.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Which begs the question, what age do they consider "elderly"?  I've seen some very fit 90 year olds and some very unfit teenagers.  

It is a paired self-selection statement, though.  Pair [able to get the Senior Citizen discount at Denny's] with [specific health conditions that lead to poor outcomes when Covid is contracted].  The whole vaccine rollout was predicated on our elderly needing the shots MORE than any other age group.

I really hope the boosters aren't waiting around for the elderly with inch thick medical records to admit they don't have the most effective immune system. 

Edited by LadyShiva
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, LadyShiva said:

It is a paired self-selection statement, though.  Pair [able to get the Senior Citizen discount at Denny's] with [specific health conditions that lead to poor outcomes when Covid is contracted].  The whole vaccine rollout was predicated on our elderly needing the shots MORE than any other age group.

I really hope the boosters aren't waiting around for the elderly with inch thick medical records to admit they don't have the most effective immune system. 

I thought that since RCI gives senior discounts for the 55+ crowd, they consider 55 and above senior.  I guess elderly means something different. There are people with health conditions at any age -- guess they shouldn't cruise either. 

Their passenger cruise pool gets smaller and smaller with each passing day.  Hopefully booster shots and full FDA approval of vaccines will speed up the vaccination rate and we can go back to some semblance of cruising the way it used to be.  

Where do you live

we still have drive thru and walk in free testing In SF Bay Area

Besides our insurance covers testing as well

Good thing you arnt traveling to London 4 tests😲

• Like 1

8 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Maryland, NY, NC, NJ,PA, VA, GA, SC, CT, FL, AZ, CA,  are just a few states that I know of with free testing . Just Google it- I honestly only know of college students being charged a nominal fee for the twice-weekly testing they had one semester prior to vaccine availability. 
mid yooa re buying a test online to be monitored via zoom- that's another story. But you should most definitely be able to find a free Covid test if you are  in the USA.

Mn also has the free testing!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mek said:

I know you have previously mentioned that.  I don’t have to make final payment until mid October - so I have a little time to see how The DV progresses.

What ship are you on in January?  We are on Oasis.

Allure.

If you are not vaccinated or flexible and understanding,  you really need to cancel any planned cruises for at least the next 6 months.  Maybe longer.  If not, you are going to be on here complaining that x cruiseline just changed some rule, protocol or procedure days or weeks before your cruise.  Basically the beatings will continue until the moral improves.  The beatings won't stop, so if you want to cruise, you better get used to it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frito58 said:

Bye … we are off to Hawaii. When cruising gets it act together we will be back . 

I don't blame you for holding off on cruising. That's what we are doing as well. Hawaii had one of the strictest protocols from the beginning of the pandemic with mandatory 14 day quarantines. If this gets out of hand who knows what will happen there.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frito58 said:

I agree already canceled my Celebrity cruise for Christmas and NYE had very expensive Retreat room booked and they are making u wear tracking devices on the ship so if u come into close contact with someone that has Covid u are now quarantined. Well I am like screw that I am not going to be punished to my room on a cruise that I spent a bunch of money on . Bye … we are off to Hawaii. When cruising gets it act together we will be back . Have a bunch booked between 21 -23 guess keep canceling until things straighten up . 

You are aware that Hawaii has changed it's requirements multiple times, right? Your rental care will cost as much as your cruise. And good luck getting dining reservations, unless you planned 6 weeks ahead, because dining capacity was just cut back to 50%. My point is anything you chose to do will come with requirements that weren't there two years ago, but the world has changed. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bjlaac said:

The safety protocols you’re fed up with are for keeping crew, passengers and residents at port cities safer due to a deadly worldwide Pandemic.Temper tantrums and threats of cancelling won’t change that. Testing is also available now cost-free in most places. That excuse does not really float. 

Perhaps if you can’t handle the need for flexibility in this new world of safer cruising - then it isn’t the right mode of travel for you anymore.  40 cruises in the past has nothing to do with a cruise during a pandemic.

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chauncey Picklepants said:

The safety protocols you’re fed up with are for keeping crew, passengers and residents at port cities safer due to a deadly worldwide Pandemic.Temper tantrums and threats of cancelling won’t change that. Testing is also available now cost-free in most places. That excuse does not really float. 

Perhaps if you can’t handle the need for flexibility in this new world of safer cruising - then it isn’t the right mode of travel for you anymore.  40 cruises in the past has nothing to do with a cruise during a pandemic.

Not sure you understand my point of view, or maybe you do.  When this cruise was booked there was no protocols, zilch, nothing and all we heard get a vaccine and everything goes back to normal although that was never a requirement of my cruise.  No one foresaw a delta variant that's resulting in protocols that I just don't want to follow, period, because that's not what I signed up for nor was it mentioned as a requirement of my booking.  Don't want to worry about getting tested on time or wearing a mask or any other thing I didn't have to do in 2019.

That's got nothing to do with not wanting folks to be safe which is what the protocols are intended to do, i get it.  All I want to know what are the rules so I can either make final payment or just cancel.  I always find it odd, the cruise lines always seem to wait until after final payment before releasing specific protocols for each ship and sailing.

I had 3 cruises last year cancelled, I don't want any more FCC so I just want an honest answer and refund from the cruise company.  Is that too much to ask?

• Like 1

Somewhat related?

August 21, 1921

275 passengers aboard a French liner landing in New Jersey are outraged that they have to get vaccinated against smallpox before entering the United States. They refuse to take the vaccine and consequently, many fall ill.

They consider vaccines reserved for “emigrant hordes” and are insulted by the insinuation that they are somehow squalid. Others complained that the vaccine might make their arms swollen or sore. Still others say that they have already had smallpox and cannot get it again.

Anti-vaccination sentiment is nothing new. Famously, in 1902, following a smallpox outbreak, the Cambridge, Massachusetts board of health mandated all residents to be vaccinated against smallpox. Resident Henning Jacobson refused vaccination on the grounds that the law violated his First Amendment rights, so the city jailed him. Jacobson appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, who ruled that a state can enact compulsory laws to protect the public in the event of an epidemic. This was the first time the US Supreme Court made a ruling on public health.

1921 Live on Instagram: “August 21, 1921 275 passengers aboard a French liner landing in New Jersey are outraged that they have to get vaccinated against smallpox…”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, bjlaac said:

Not sure you understand my point of view, or maybe you do.  When this cruise was booked there was no protocols, zilch, nothing and all we heard get a vaccine and everything goes back to normal although that was never a requirement of my cruise.  No one foresaw a delta variant that's resulting in protocols that I just don't want to follow, period, because that's not what I signed up for nor was it mentioned as a requirement of my booking.  Don't want to worry about getting tested on time or wearing a mask or any other thing I didn't have to do in 2019.

That's got nothing to do with not wanting folks to be safe which is what the protocols are intended to do, i get it.  All I want to know what are the rules so I can either make final payment or just cancel.  I always find it odd, the cruise lines always seem to wait until after final payment before releasing specific protocols for each ship and sailing.

I had 3 cruises last year cancelled, I don't want any more FCC so I just want an honest answer and refund from the cruise company.  Is that too much to ask?

I'm understanding that you want the Pandemic to play fair and according to rules but unfortunately that’s not the way viruses work. The fact is that in 2019 no one had to worry about it. But we do now.

And if you’ve really been on over 40 cruises, you surely know how deposits and cruising works.  They’re a business to make money and there are reservations and deposits.  Anyone thinking otherwise is lying to themself.  If they can keep your money, they’re going to do it.  That’s what they’ve always done.  All lines are like this.  And hotels. And airlines.  

And you do know the “rules” now, which is wear a mask and be vaccinated. 

Other than that, you’re just preaching to the choir here.  There is no magic time machine back to 2019. 

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants
  • Like 1